Script to backup and rename excel files...

I plan to use a row delete script (I have this already) to get rid of
old data here at work. Before I run this though (I will be running it
fairly frequently) I thought I should backup the file I am working on.

Is it possible to write a script which creates a backup of the current
Excel file I am working on, without changing the filename of the 'live'
workbook, and which names the backup file with the time and date so it
is both unique and also searchable (EG 03122003-1645.xls or similar) ?

Ideally I would combine the two scripts so that once the script is run
a backup is created and then the rows are deleted subject to my
criteria. Basically if I forget to back up and then delete the data in
error it could cost me my job.

Any thoughts welcome !!
TIA

Tom Ogilvy has a suggestion here.

http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=%23hsp8TGz%23GA.236%40cppssbbsa03

HTH
Paul
Be advised to back up your WorkBook before attempting to make changes.

>I plan to use a row delete script (I have this already) to get rid of
>old data here at work. Before I run this though (I will be running it
>fairly frequently) I thought I should backup the file I am working on.
>
>Is it possible to write a script which creates a backup of the current
>Excel file I am working on, without changing the filename of the 'live'
>workbook, and which names the backup file with the time and date so it
>is both unique and also searchable (EG 03122003-1645.xls or similar) ?
>
>Ideally I would combine the two scripts so that once the script is run
>a backup is created and then the rows are deleted subject to my
>criteria. Basically if I forget to back up and then delete the data in
>error it could cost me my job.
>
>Any thoughts welcome !!
>TIA

Copy Paste Chart format in Excel 2003 using VB.NET
I have a template file in Excel which contains some sample charts. I need to generate some charts which has the same format as that of sample charts. I'm using VB.NET 2005. What we encourage people to do when using VBA is to run the Excel chart recorder while performing the action they want to do in VBA, then fix up the inefficient VBA recorded code and incorporate it into their project. You can do the same thing, although there may be an additional step where you translate or at least reference the VBA code so it works as VB.Net code. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP...

can you look up info from a validated drop down menu in excel 2007
I have a b 2 Name Wage 3 $- 4 existing employee $20.00 5 existing employee $25.00 6 existing employee $17.00 7 Labor Ready ID $10.00 8 Labor Ready UT $10.00 9 Labor Ready WA $10.00 10 Future Employee $- 11 Future Employee $- 12 Future Employee $- in another work sheet i have a&b c d i 5 Labor cost 6 Name hours rate Total Cost 7 8 9 in a7-9 i have a drop menu based on a name I created employee. employee='E...

Backup and Restore a Windows NT PDC to another machine
Guys, Please how do I backup and restore a Windows NT 4.0 PDC to another machine running a clean Windows NT.Please kindly highlight what I need to backup Thanks so much. -- Buchi I would just join the new machine as a Backup domain controller, and let it replicated. Once done, you can take both down, bring up the BDC and promote to to PDC... "Buchi" <Buchi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3CDF25E6-48C4-4134-86C7-34DC0F634DFB@microsoft.com... > Guys, > Please how do I backup and restore a Windows NT 4.0 PDC to another machine > running a clean Wi...

How do I change the Excel 2000 sheet tab size? It's too small.
For some reason my sheet tab size is very very small. How can I change it to be bigger? Kelli This is a function of your Windows Display Properties. The size of the sheet tabs are governed by the setting for Scrollbars in Windows Display Appearance. Mine are at 18. Start there and work your way up or down. The font will increase or decrease with the size of sheet tabs. Win98 as example... Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display > Appearance(WinXP Appearance>Advanced) "Item" drop down select Scrollbar Change setting to Taste Apply OK Depending upon your s...

Excel Vslow durin SavePreviewOrPrint. Netwk bcomes v bZ. Any adv?
I am running Office 2003 on my Toshiba WinXP P4 Labtop. Recently noticed my Excel starts to give problem... I didn't know why it happened. First, when open or save large file (size), it runs very slowly, sometimes showed NOT RESPONDING, then after 15-20 seconds, file opened (or saved). Now, I also notice the slow down whenever I preview or print. During this action, I noticed the network becomes very busy. Therefore, I tried disabled network and worked on the same excel files. The speed of opening, saving, previewing and printing are fast. Any one there with similar situation and ...

Conditional Sorting in Excel
I have what im hoping is a simple question. Basically, I am organizing an event for 60 people and need to come up with table assignments for 4 separate events. I am trying to put these 60 people into groups of 10, but I don't want people from the same cities sitting together and I also don't want people to sit with the same person multiple times (or at least as well as possible). I basically have a 2 column spreadsheet - A is attendee names and B is cities. Is there anyway that I can generate 4 distinct (or close to) lists - each list containing 6 groups of 10? ...

Problems entering numbers into Excel
Whenever I enter a number into my excel w/sheet, I get the same number divided by 100. . . e.g. I enter 256 and the cel contains 2.56 . . any clues??? really would appreciate it!!!! Tools/Options/Edit uncheck the Fixed decimal places checkbox. In article <434501c3fed3$4eed1260$a401280a@phx.gbl>, "scuzzie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Whenever I enter a number into my excel w/sheet, I get the > same number divided by 100. . . e.g. I enter 256 and the > cel contains 2.56 . . any clues??? > > really would appreciate it!!!! Many tha...

Excel crashes when copying worksheet
Whenever I try to copy or move certain worksheets either within the same workbook or to a new workbook Excel crashes. I cannot reopen Excel (vs. 2000) without deleting it from the Program Manager - it remains in the background. I suspect the problem may have to do with having too many characters in certain cells, although I carefully combed through one of these worksheets and thought that I had fixed all cells so that none had more than 200 characters and it still crashed Excel when I tried to copy it. Does anyone have any solutions for this? ----------------------------------------------...

Excel 2003: Duplicate dashboard and data sheets
Hello, I created a dashboard with several small graphs on it. The data for the graphs is stored on a separate data sheet (i.e., work sheet). I now want to duplicate the dashboard/data sheets to build a dashboard for another employee. I envision the workbook eventually having 5 dashboards driven off 5 data sheets. The trick I'm looking for is a way to change the datasource for the graphs on the copied datasheet to the appropriate corresponding data sheet. I know how to do it manually but it seems like there should be some sort of "find and replace" ty...

wanted help on exchange backup
can someone please help on how to take exchange incremental backup using default windows ntbackup program. the normal backup works fine, but while taking an incremental backup it does not give me any option to select the full backup and while i try to take the incremental backup it says no full backup found. Regards, Haider Are you already really sure you want to perform incremental backups? The following are the four different types of online backups: Full backup. Covers the entire information store. It saves databases as well as transaction log entries that have not yet been committ...

Lost my "Backup & Restore" applet reference
HI All, According to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Back-up-your-files, which includes XP (which I'm running) I believe: To back up your files Open Backup and Restore by - clicking the Start button- , - clicking Control Panel, - clicking System and Maintenance, - clicking Backup and Restore. My control-panel doesn't present a "System and Maintenance" link (even when I scroll down to view the overflow items.) I poked around in %systemroot% ro no avail. Amy ideas? Thanks in Advance, Richard the link you provided pertains to windows 7....

Saving an Excel Spreadsheet outside of Excel Recent Documents
Okay "boys & girls" you may think this is a primative question, but I just can't figure this out: When I save an Excel spreadsheet, the only way I can get back into it is to open up my Excel program > Open the file I previously saved. And that is not a problem. However, what if I wanna save that Excel spreadsheet into one of my computer document foldders? Now that's the problem! If I click: Start > Documents then I see all my special folders with all my special stuff. Well, I wanna be able to save some of my Excel spreadsheets in a special fol...

Converting txt file to Excel
I have a text file imported into Excel that is setup as follows: Account Number Account Registration Payee Information 001511xxxxxx John Doe US Bank 123 First Street 100 Powell Ave Las Vegas, NV 00000 Las Vegas, NV 001512xxxxxx Jane Doe US Bank 124 First Street 100 Powell Ave Las Vegas, NV 00000 Las Vegas, NV And this report can have up to 400 accounts. Is there a way to related the Account Registration and Payee Information to the Account N...

Excel 2003 Upgrade
If I only have Microsoft Works Suite 2004, and I purchase the Excel 2003 upgrade only, will I get the full functionality of Excel, or just an upgraded Works spreadsheet program. Acccording to the Microsoft site, Works Suite 2004 qualifies for the upgrade, but am not sure what that entirely means. Thanks much. Steve Steve, If Works does indeed qualify you to purchase the Upgrade version of Excel, you will get the complete Excel application. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "bermuda1995@aol.com" <anonym...

Exchange 2K restore from backup
Hi there We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files were inconsistant I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine Being ...

Cannot double click an excel file and open it.
Hi When I double click an excel file, the excel application opens with a grey screen. If I drag the file onto the grey screen it opens fine. If I double click an excel attachement the excel screen opens grey and I get a message box saying The system cannot find the file specified. If I drag an excel file into the outlook inbox and then double click on it, it launches as it would normaly. I have un associated and re associated the file with Excel. I have checked the selections under the window menu in Excel, but unhide is greyed out, indicating that excel has opened, but not loaded the fil...

Mailbox store will not backup correctly
With Backup exec 8 the information store will not backup consistantly... I've found that Veritas says that its because there are emails with attatchments on emails that have attatchments. All of the errors I get in backup exec say that the Information store is corrupted and it says the backup fails. This seems to be somewhat random though, as it worked for about a week and now failed and if it follows the same pattern will be successful again in a few days. Is there any way to locate which email is causeing the problem if this is the case, or could there be some other more serious p...

How do I retrieve an Excel file data after my computer crashed?
My computer crashed and I lost the work I had done in an previously existing Excel file. Is there anyway that I can retrieve this data? Thanks Hi depending on your Excel version maybe AutoRecovery helps. This should come up after restarting Excel. But I would suspect your data is lost -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Craig wrote: > My computer crashed and I lost the work I had done in an previously > existing Excel file. Is there anyway that I can retrieve this data? > Thanks ...

Is it possible to view Excel split screen by tab within same file
I would like to view split screen tabs within the same Excel workbook. Is this possible? Hi SS. Go to Window - Arrange - and select the view you would like. It shows all tabs. Minimize or close the ones you don't want. I find the vertical view the easiest to use. HTH -- Sincerely, Michael Colvin "SS" wrote: > I would like to view split screen tabs within the same Excel workbook. Is > this possible? Window|new window Window|Arrange (horizontal/vertical/whatever you want) Check windows of activeworkbook (if you only want that one workbook) You'll see som...

divide column(x) by column(y) to give column(x/y) in excel?
I'm trying to divide one column by another column to give me another column of awnsers as in B1/C1=D1, B2/C2=D2 etc... Is this possible? Thanks In cell D1 enter the following formula: =B1/C1 Copy this formula down column D as far as you need. The cell references will increment automatically. HTH, Elkar "James" wrote: > I'm trying to divide one column by another column to give me another column > of awnsers as in B1/C1=D1, B2/C2=D2 etc... Is this possible? > Thanks ...

How do I enable Excel's "formula prompt?"
Excel on my old laptop would "prompt" me as I entered a formula. By prompt, I mean that a small beige box (comprised of a single line of text) would appear outlining the formula arguments as I typed. It was akin to the formula wizzard, but not nearly as comprehensive - a kind of reminder of the variables necessary to complete the formula. This ability was enormously useful and appears to be disabled on my new laptop. How can I enable it? The Function tooltips feature is available in Excel 2002 and later versions. To turn the feature on: Choose Tools>Options On the General...

File IO #3
I normally have been opening files and reading them using the following code: //----------------------------------------------------------- int i; unsigned char bytes[3000], tdat[50]; FILE *in; CString fname="test.dat"; in = fopen(fname, "rb"); fread(bytes, 2500, 1, in); // read the full file fclose(in); for(i=0; i<30; i++){ tdat[i] = bytes[i+70]; // extract some data from within bytes } //----------------------------------------------------------- I have heard that the use of fopen & fread are frowned upon, not sure why. How do I use "correc...

Save file
Hello I am opening a file myfile.xls run a macro and then I would like to copy the sheet "DATA" and place in a new file and then save as myfileupload.xls and also as myfileuploadmmddyyyy.xls. This process may occur several time in one day. How do I modify my macro to accomplish the save? I would like to put an alpha suffix on the later file and increment each time it is run during the day. Such as myfileuploadmmddyyyy_A.xls, myfileuploadmmddyyyy_B.xls, etc. All help is appreciated How about something like this, using TIME (Hours / Minutes / Seconds) as the final fi...

How do I create slide titles in powerpoint from excel?
I am using Powerpoint 2003. I want to create slide titles from an excel spreadsheet? How can I import the info from Excel? timj, Don't think it is possible directly from Excel, maybe you could copy/paste the cell content to Word (choose keep only text in the paste options), apply the appropriate heading level 1. Then use send to PPT from the File menu. Luc Sanders MVP - PowerPoint "timj" wrote: > I am using Powerpoint 2003. I want to create slide titles from an excel > spreadsheet? > How can I import the info from Excel? I'd use something lik...

how do i backup email messages to disk?
how do i backup email messages in outlook 2000 to disk? ...