Saving to network drive gives unwanted copy or overwrite message

After recent updates to Excel 2002 SP3 I am getting "overwite or create copy"
when saving to a network Quantum Snapdrive. When saving to a local disk no
such message occurs. This is on a home lan running Windows XP SP2 on all PCs.
If I save from Excel 2000 SR-1 no such message occurs.
0
Bill7393 (298)

Bill,

Is the file shared?
Are more than one of the machines running the workbook at the same time?

Henry

"Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After recent updates to Excel 2002 SP3 I am getting "overwite or create
> copy"
> when saving to a network Quantum Snapdrive. When saving to a local disk no
> such message occurs. This is on a home lan running Windows XP SP2 on all
> PCs.
> If I save from Excel 2000 SR-1 no such message occurs.

This spreadsheet file resides on a LAN Quantum Snapdrive accessed via
mapping drive letter S. No other users are on the system. It is has no
special attributes and is not marked read-only.Additional quirks:
  If you simply close the window and let Excel query you to update changes
Y/N, then no "Overwrite or copy" request is made, the file is simply updated
(overwritten) as is desired.
If the tools - options - security tab "Remove personal information from the
file when saved" is toggled on and saved, then additional save requests are
honored without the overwrite dialog.
  The save/overwrite dialog occurs only once per window, on the first save.
added saves of the same window (with some data changed), will not cause
another dialog.

"Henry" <henry.best1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Bill,
>
> Is the file shared?
> Are more than one of the machines running the workbook at the same time?
>
> Henry
>

> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> After recent updates to Excel 2002 SP3 I am getting "overwite or create
>> copy"
>> when saving to a network Quantum Snapdrive. When saving to a local disk
>> no
>> such message occurs. This is on a home lan running Windows XP SP2 on all
>> PCs.
>> If I save from Excel 2000 SR-1 no such message occurs.

0
Bill

is there a way to see if networked Outlook mail has been opened?
we just switched to MS Outlook on our network from Groupwise. Groupwise allowed senders to see if and when their email was opened within the network. Is this feature available in Outlook? You can add a read receipt to the item and you may get a response when the item is opened. However users can also deny the return of a receipt. "compactcrank" <compactcrank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A838D3AF-14D8-4F0D-B7F2-40B25F9D1D4A@microsoft.com... > we just switched to MS Outlook on our network from Groupwise. Groupwise > allowed senders to see if and...

Can't open or save attachments in emails
I can't open or save any email attachments in Windows Mail. I click on them and nothing happens. No errors codes. In my security settings I have the " do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" box unchecked. If I try to save an attachment, I get an error message that says "There was an error saving one or mor of the attachments. Please check your free disk space and try again." Help? That problem can be caused by interference from an antivirus program. Which antivirus are you running? Some of them cause problems wi...

Determining the client's IP on messages sent from Exchange 2003
Hi all, Recently it would appear that one of our workstations (or a home pc) has been compromised and has begun using our email server as a spam server. Basically once every few hours a whole pile of messages will be sent out through the server to email addresses all over china with a subject in chinese. The FROM being picked up is a "randomstring@ourIP" is there some way to tell who's IP these messages are coming from so I can take that machine off the network and clean it up. I've run up to date virus scans on the server this morning including all user shared folders an...

Incoming messages
Windows Live is my default account. I added 2 other email accounts. When I get messages in account #2, they appear in the inbox for account #2 and also in the default windows live inbox. I don't want this. I just want to see the message in the inbox of the address it was sent to. How do I make this happen? -- tt5818 in Edmonton This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0013_01CB190A.1B467200 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Windows Live ??=20 Windows Live =3D Hotmail account(...

Excel: Backup Copy not same size as File
I have the create backup option checked so excel creates backuup everytime I save. Sometimes (cannot pinpoint when this is caused) when I save file the file is saved. File size is 4 MB. But the backup created is like 200K for this. When I look at the backup file 1 worksheet is missing and remaining everything is present. Any ideas?? Thanks ...

Outlook2000 problems with a larger disc drive
Everyone, I have just upgraded my computer from a 6gig drive to a WDC 160gig drive. I used the image copy software that comes with the Western Digital to copy my old XP professional system to the new drive. Everything works OK except OUTLOOK. I am getting errors when trying to download my e-mail from the POP3 server. It looks like the mail is coming in but never makes it to the inbox. Can any of you give me a start on this problem. Thanks, Greg Ennis ...

soap message
Hi! Below I have a simple console program that is using the SoapFormatter to serialize an object ShoppingCartItem into file. Assume that we serialize this object by using SoapFormatter and sent it away so it can be deserialized in another application on another computer. I mean when we deserialize we do this item = (ShoppingCartItem)sf.Deserialize(fs); knowing that the object is a ShoppingCartItem that is going to be deserialized Now to my question when writing code on the receiving application that will deserialize the object how is it possible to write code that know in...

copy-paste emails don't work
How can I copy emails from a column in Microsoft Works database to paste them into a new email in Windows Live mails ? When I do this, it requires a ";" at the end of each email which is time consuming to add. How can I solve this problem ? Thank you You mean email addresses. You should be able to do a global search and replace. For example, if the addresses are currently separated by a space character you can replace all occurrences of the space character by '[space][semicolon]'. Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) wrote in message news:BD26...

copy and filter list from sheet1 to sht2
I have a list on sheet1. The first column can be either true or false. I would like sheet2 to show a list of all the rows that are true o sheet1. Thanks for any information Pau -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi a non automatic way: Use 'Data - Filter - Advanced Filter' for this. See: http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "squalo >" <<squalo.16xe8p@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:squalo.16xe8p@excelforum-nospam.com... > I have a list on sheet1. > The first column ...

Need One Excel Template to copy to TWO Databases
Here's the problem: Right now I have a one template (.xlt) and one excel database (.xls) that works fine. Now I want to create a second database so tha whenever I enter in information into the template, it creates a copy i both excel databases. I could just create a new duplicate database and a duplicate templat but that would require me entering in the information twice. Since enter in a lot of information, this is very undesirable. Anyone please help me figure out how to link one template (.xlt) to excel database files (.xls) Steps already taken: When the template wizard asked ...

Outlook does not send message
Every now and then a message I try to send is saved in the Outbox but not in italics and it will not send. I've run a test on the settings and this comes back OK. Opening the messgae and trying send again does not help. Using Outlook 2003 and Bitdefender 2010 if the helps. There MAY be a connection to when I updated to 2010 from Bitdefender 2009, but the problem did not start on the same day. -- Robert M Now discovered that it seems to a problem with some messages where I reply or forwrad. New messages seem OK. -- Robert M "Robert M" wrote: > ...

Every new word doc saved, the icon is not correct

leaving copies of emails on the server
Hi there. I am using Outlook 2002 at work, and the same at home. I VPN in from home, but when I download my mail it takes the messages off the server. Then when I get to work, I have no email in my inbox. Isn't there a way to make it leave a copy of the messages on the server? Any ideas? Thanks! John Go to Tools | E-mail Accounts, click View or change existing e-mail accounts and click Next, select the account in question, click Change, then the More Settings button. The option for leaving mail on the server is on the Advanced tab of the Internet E-mail Settings dialog. -- J...

Save result of IF function
3 A B C D E 4 Date Number Result 1 Result 2 Date 5 15/02/2009 1345.5 15/02/2009 6 16/02/2009 Hi, Don't know if this makes any sense to anybody but I'll give it a try anyway. I can set up an IF formula in C5 to send contents of B5 to C5 if the date in A5matches the date in E5. My problem is:- How or what do I have to do to the formula to be able to "Save" that result in C5 even when the contents of A5 &...

Replying in HTML to a plain or rich-text message
Is it possible to make Outlook convert my reply of a plain text or rich text message into an html message. I am doing this so that I can include text with colors other then black. Any ideas? Thanks Taskman anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is it possible to make Outlook convert my reply of a > plain text or rich text message into an html message. I > am doing this so that I can include text with colors > other then black. Any ideas? Thanks Sure. Reply to the mesage and then click Format>HTML prior to typing your res...

Outlook Web Access 2003 Messages Won't Load
When attempting to access email on an Exchange 2003 Server using OWA (Outlook Web Access)I cannot get the messages to load. All the frames load properly (toolbars, folders, etc.) however, the messages frame (Inbox) says "loading" then disappears leaving a blank message frame. I am running Win XP Pro & IE 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2. I can successfully run OWA 2003 on another computer using the same shared connection and it is also running XP Pro & the same IE version so this problem must be isolated to my desktop. Any ideas? ...

Messages deleted from inbox
Hi, In my work outlook folder, it appears that my messages are being deleted/removed automatically after 30 days. My personal e-mail account holds messages indefinately. How can I fix this so they aren't deleted/removed? I've looked everywhere I can think in settings and can't find anything with an inbox time limit. autoarchive set to work only after 6months and have only had acount for 2 months. Help! "Kate" <Kate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4F9AC543-79C5-41EC-ABB1-D79D271C0A38@microsoft.com... > In my work outlook fo...

Message shows double-spaced
Outlook 2003 SP2, Send email as HTML, Corporate exchange server, Using Outlook to compose email Seems like every email I originate or reply to comes back as double-spaced. Looking at my outgoing email it looks fine (no double space) but replies to my email come back double-spaced (the reply as well as the original text). It's very annoying. I have to "select all" then Style->Normal to get rid of the double spaces. Is there anyway to fix/prevent this? Instead of: Line1 Line2 I get: Line1 <not a hardbreak> Line2 It looks like the "paragraph" style is b...

updateing a orginal sheet after two or more have updated copys
We are working on an speadsheet, I was emailed a copy of it and so was two others. How do we go about update if we each have a copy of the orginal and we are entering different info. How can we configure correctly? so the info we are each entery is update to the orginal? I would say it would be difficult with three of you making changes to three separate copies of the same workbook. Perhaps you should investigate the use of a single Shared workbook. See help on sharing a workbook. Also note the loss of some features when sharing. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 19 Ma...

Network Sharing Service maximum file limit
I am sharing my music library of 17,000+ songs on my main PC. On my second computer I am able to connect to this, however, only the first 8,400 songs are present. Is this due to limitations of the Sharing facility, or is this in any way configurable? Additionally, can any one tell me, if the songs are (presumably) streamed, what the bit rate they are and if this can be increased? Many thanks in advance, Chris On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 14:26:04 -0800, Chris F <Chris F@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am sharing my music library of 17,000+ songs on my main PC. On my...

copy & paste between documents changes spacing
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi. I have a curious issue with Microsoft Word that i can't seem to find a reasonable explanation for. Basically, i write a newsletter for my farm every week and i have a masthead that is a table. When i attempt to copy the table to a brand new document (in order to create a brand new newsletter), the spacing between the lines has totally changed. The table is twice as wide, as if i had put a blank space between each line of text. This has happened with other documents as well. For instance, I created a chec...

Deleted messages
Hello, I just installed the Microsoft explorer 6. Running the default installation, it installed automatically Outlook Express 6 and deleted or desactivated Outlook 97. Consecuently, I lost the local outgoing, incoming, etc messages I had for Outlook 97. How do I recover or import those messages to the corresponding folders in Outlook Express 6? Where those folders/messages went? My computer runs Windows 98 as operative system. Thank you, Luis Mira ...

MS framework unexpected error message
I too have upgraded from a G4 to MacBook with the new version of MS Office. All the date from the G4 was transfered at the Apple store to the new MacBook and I keep getting "an unexpected error occured when trying to loat the Microsoft framework library" I have removed and re- installed the software, per inst from the Mac folks, but the message cont. I can use all the programs but the dialog box keeps coming up and I want it to go away. Anyone have any ideas, I have downloaded the most recent updates but no change. The idiots at the AppleStore should have known that you cannot &quo...

"Your files are attached and ready to send with this message." from IE "Send Link by email"
When we try to use "File - Send Link by Email" from Internet Explorer 6 SP1, the phrase "Your files are attached and ready to send with this message." appears as the email message body but the .URL attachment isn't there, we don't get a warning that Outlook blocked an unsafe attachment, and most importantly, the link itself is not part of the message body. We tried upgrading Outlook 2002 from SP2 to SP3 but it made no difference. This person also has Netscape 7 installed, but the Program options in IE point to Outlook XP. Any guesses would be greatly appreciated! ...

OWA Customizing? Button to save E-Mails to HD??
Hello, i want to add a button to my owa which allows the users to save the email to the local hd. Is this possible? Any Tipps? Thanks Dirk ...