save as text (tabbed) has extra quotes

hi, i am on a mac (OSX). when i save as text (tab delimited) and then
view the .txt file in BBedit, some of the text mysteriously comes u
with quotation marks around it. (and only some). I then have to delet
them all in bbedit and resave. this is a pain. The commas interfer
with the databases that these files get read into.

These quotes do not show in excel and i have tried clearing formats o
the afflicted cells, trying to find any weird preference that may b
set but i cant find anything.

does anyone know why this happens and how to keep it from happening?

thanks for any help.
Li

Maybe you could write your own macro to do exactly what you want:

Here are three sites that you could steal some code from:

Earl Kiosterud's Text Write program:
www.smokeylake.com/excel
(or directly:  http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/Text%20Write%20Program.htm)

Chip Pearson's:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm

J.E. McGimpsey's:
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html

(You may be happy with Earl's version--right out of the box!)

"minniemouse <" wrote:

> hi, i am on a mac (OSX). when i save as text (tab delimited) and then i
> view the .txt file in BBedit, some of the text mysteriously comes up
> with quotation marks around it. (and only some). I then have to delete
> them all in bbedit and resave. this is a pain. The commas interfere
> with the databases that these files get read into.
>
> These quotes do not show in excel and i have tried clearing formats on
> the afflicted cells, trying to find any weird preference that may be
> set but i cant find anything.
>
> does anyone know why this happens and how to keep it from happening?
>
> thanks for any help.
> Liz
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)

if cell is text move left one column

Errors saving to network drive

Saving toolbar changes

"Customize Outlook Today" does not respond
The "Customize Outlook Today" button no longer functions. I use Outlook 2000 on two separate computers. the Customize feature works on neither one. They both formerly functioned perfectly. I have noted a few other postings with the same issue, but there have been no responses. Is it possible that one of the updates to Outlook 2000 has rendered this feature inoperable? Since I keep my programs up to date, that is the only guess I have. I have the exact same problem on more than one pc. I have been searching for an answer all day. I just decided to start using the opti...

pulling certain characters from a string of text
I need to look up "certain critera" within a string of characters, then return that "certain criterea" to a new column. Some examples of a strings of characters may look like these: K5J091509001 Sample PO#S881009 K55sample PO CarrieRJR TJ5 My "Certain Critera" I have listed on another sheet, named "REP ID" K5J S88 K55 RJR TJ5 How do I pull out the 3 characters of "Certain Criterea" from the string of text and copy or enter it into a new column? Hi, =left(a1,3) "SaraMack" wrote: > I need to look up "c...

can I snap wrap points to a text box

Publisher can not save file

adding extra marker styles
how do we add extra marker styles into an excel chart? we have used all the ones it has given us in 2003, but there use3d to be many more in 2002, how do we get them back? Hi, Here is an explanation on how to add custom markers. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/CustomMarkers.html I don't think the marker style have changed since xl2000. Cheers Andy Grizzabella wrote: > how do we add extra marker styles into an excel chart? we have used all the > ones it has given us in 2003, but there use3d to be many more in 2002, how do > we get them back? -- Andy Pope, Micro...

Removing random extra spaces
I have a column for comments there are 900 rows (A1:A900) this data is being imported from another source and some users have extra spaces that I want to remove and place in (B1:B900)...I also want to format it so that it is converted from all caps to all lowercase. For example: A1 reads "INT IN A FREE QUOTE ON 50000 CASH FOR DEBT CONSOLIDATION" B2 reads "int in a free quote on 50000 cash for debt consolidation" -- jermsalerms ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jermsalerms's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/mem...

default text height comment
Is there a way to set the default text height for a new comment? Thanks mark (I've looked through help but can't find it if it's in there.) I assume you mean the font size? There is no text height available in Excel. A comment has a shape property and that is what you can use to change the font size. They didn't make it easy ... Range("D4").Comment.Shape.TextFrame.Characters.Font.Size = 12 -- Jim Cone Portland, Oregon USA http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware (free and commercial excel programs) "mp" <nospam@Thanks.com> wrote in message...

Saving #5
Is there a way of speeding up saves in excel or a way to condense the size of a workbook. Jason, This link can help with the size issue... http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused Item 2d is the one you want. Regards, Jim Cone San Francisco, USA "Jason Zischke" <JasonZischke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18CCEA1F-2479-4ED9-A5F6-21B781D0F403@microsoft.com... > Is there a way of speeding up saves in excel or a way to condense the size of > a workbook. ...

How can I print on 8 1/2"x17" paper?

Removing spaces from text #4
I'm in excel and i have a bunch of text data that has an extra space at the end of the text on the right hand side for each cell. Is there any easy way to remove this space? Use the TRIM() function. -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "lj" <lj@spu.edu> wrote in message news:1144876429.220961.309040@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > I'm in excel and i have a bunch of text data that has an extra space at > the end of the text on the right hand side for each cell. Is there any > easy way to remove this space? > I tried using that function but the results st...

Money 99 "Memo"
I was given Money 99. Everything was working fine till I printed out the check register and found it was omitting the "Memo" section which was vital info I needed. What do I need to do inorder to get it to print? Please e-mail wolfmagic53@hotmail.com Thank you. Ruby In microsoft.public.money, wolfmagic53@hotmail.com wrote: >I was given Money 99. Everything was working fine till I >printed out the check register and found it was omitting >the "Memo" section which was vital info I needed. >What do I need to do inorder to get it to print? What you want to do...

Frx and "invalid procedure call or argument"
Hi, I am running Frx 6.7 in a TS environment. When I generate a report (using 'Financial and Account' detail level) the report generates to DDV but if I try and drill down to any lines detail, or export the detail to excel then I get an "invalid procedure call or argument" error. This problem exists for all of my 12 reports I have tried. I have checked my column headings and these do not overlap or have reverse numbering. Please advise Thank you Neil Hi, I resolved this myself - it was due to the option 'Sort GL Accounts By' being marked on the Report Opti...

Rule Wizard: "Rules In Error"
I have a blackberry, and I have my outlook forwarding emails to it, but about once a day, I get a message that says "Rules in Error: Error in Rule Execution" and it won't forward any emails after that. I only have one single rule, so it's not a rule conflict. Does anyone know the deal? This is extremely frustrating as sometimes I'll be out of the office during the weekend or at night and won't receive any message for hours on my blackberry, only to find out later that this "Rules in Error" dialog box popped up and it won't forward emails. It see...

Saving document downloaded from email
I downloaded a word 2007 document from a windows mail email yesterday by double clicking on it and opening in word 2007. I then worked on the document and clicked "save". Today I cannot find the document on the computer, it seems that it has not saved. Can anyone explain what has gone wrong? Thanks Catherine If you use Word and Outlook 2007 this should no longer happen as the combination does not allow you to save to a temporary location With other e-mail applications, it is anyone's guess what might occur. You should never open Word attachments directly from e-m...

Find tab in worksheet
I have a workbook with many tabs & many users and would like to create a 'Go to / find' function that finds a particular tab when opening workbook, so that user will enter tab in text box and will then go directly to tab Try any one of these macros.. You can try out the below macro. If you are new to macros.. --Set the Security level to low/medium in (Tools|Macro|Security). --From workbook launch VBE using short-key Alt+F11. --From menu 'Insert' a module and paste the below code. --Get back to Workbook. --Run macro from Tools|Macro|Run <selected mac...

Charttitle.Text crashes (Excel 2000)
Hi, when I try to run the following code (on an existing diagram): With ActiveChart Dim globalLstFile as String globalLstFile =3D "02 KOBA_XYZ_C3-06214 02- 20.7-20.8=B0C Touchprobe Mittelpunkte.lst" =2EHasTitle =3D True =2EChartTitle.Text =3D "KOBA Sphere Gauge S/N 38 538 (" + globalLstFile + ")" & Chr(10) & _ "color coding: red =3D Zone 1, green =3D Zone 2, blue =3D Zone 3"= & Chr(10) & _ "light color: measurements that contain spheres that are within 20 cm of the edge of the measurement volume" ..=...

How do I save a header?
I need to permanently save a header and it will never save once I open up a new file. Any suggestions? Try a look in the Excel Help under 'Create a Template'. Saving the header in the template should mean each time you open that template the header will be there. Regards, Tom "Global10" wrote: > I need to permanently save a header and it will never save once I open up a > new file. Any suggestions? Open a new workbook. Customize as you wish including your print settings.........group the sheets before setup so's all sheets get same Heade...