Save as CSV problems

Hi there,

I'm using Excel 2003 and Windows XP Pro. SP2

I have book.xls file with names and numbers like fname lname salary

John   Smith  100.00

when I save as book.csv the salary column become a text (100 in the left
side of the column)
Just the way I wanted I click ok. and close

Now when I'm reopen the book.csv file again the column salary become as a
number again
(100 in the right side of the column)

How can I fix this issue (If I save the file as a text I wanted be remain as
a text )

Thank you an advanced.

Email: odeddror@cox.net

0
odeddror (5)

In a .csv file everything is saved as text, and remains as text.

If you're importing the text file back into XL, and you want XL to
interpret the field as text rather than a number you can use the
Data/Get External Data/Import Text File... wizard (with WinXL, you'll
have to change the extension from .csv to .txt) to designate the field
as text rather than General.

In article <utnmTRElFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
 "Oded Dror" <odeddror@cox.net> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm using Excel 2003 and Windows XP Pro. SP2
>
> I have book.xls file with names and numbers like fname lname salary
>
> John   Smith  100.00
>
> when I save as book.csv the salary column become a text (100 in the left
> side of the column)
> Just the way I wanted I click ok. and close
>
> Now when I'm reopen the book.csv file again the column salary become as a
> number again
> (100 in the right side of the column)
>
> How can I fix this issue (If I save the file as a text I wanted be remain as
> a text )
>
> Thank you an advanced.
>
> Email: odeddror@cox.net
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
7/29/2005 2:08:44 PM
Oded,

Everything saved in a csv is text characters.  There's no indication of text
or numbers or anything.  It's Excel that's interpreting it as a number ("it
looks like a number, so it must be a number.").  You can change the file
extension from .csv to .txt.  Now when you open it, it will invoke the
import wizard, where you can specify which fields are to be text.

Or if you want to read the text file into an existing worksheet, you can use
import.  Details on all this at www.smokeylake.com/excel.  Read "Excel and
text files."
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Oded Dror" <odeddror@cox.net> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I'm using Excel 2003 and Windows XP Pro. SP2
>
> I have book.xls file with names and numbers like fname lname salary
>
> John   Smith  100.00
>
> when I save as book.csv the salary column become a text (100 in the left
> side of the column)
> Just the way I wanted I click ok. and close
>
> Now when I'm reopen the book.csv file again the column salary become as a
> number again
> (100 in the right side of the column)
>
> How can I fix this issue (If I save the file as a text I wanted be remain
> as a text )
>
> Thank you an advanced.
>
> Email: odeddror@cox.net

0
someone798 (944)

saving format
i have a spreadsheet that i backup & copy to a new folder but the cell formulas are replaced with the cell values. how do i keep the formula format. thanks Save two copies??? One with the formulas and one after the formulas have been converted to values. bob wrote: > > i have a spreadsheet that i backup & copy to a new folder but the cell > formulas are replaced with the cell values. how do i keep the formula > format. > > thanks -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com Or are you saying that when you make the backup copy the formulas are somehow changed to values...

New Problem
In 2007: In a form I created a button, used the wizard to set it to go to next record when clicked. When I click it, I get this: The expression ON CLICK you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: Ambiguous name detected: PRINT_CLICK. Now, if I wrote the VBA/Macro, I could understand it not working if I made a mistake, but this button was generated by ACCESS and doesn't work. Same problem with Previous record button and Save Record button. Thanks in advance, Vito On 13 May 2010 16:00:59 GMT, Vito wrote: > In 2007: > > In ...

Authentication mode
Hi: Currently I have installed the MS CRM 1.2 Server on a server that host another application(sharepoint portal server & project server), this application requires SQL Authentication for work,but CRM requieres Windows Authentication Mode; at least the CRM implementacion guide document recommends this type of authentication, is there any way for work with both applications on same server ?. Microsoft CRM can work with SQL in mix mode authentication. Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm San Francisco, CA "Rafael Diaz" wrote: > Hi: > >...

Problems with Access 2000 reports in Access 2003
Hi, we have a sent out a 2000 format access database to a client running Access 2003. When trying to open any of the reports they get an error - "the openreport action was cancelled" - Not sure if they get this by running the report from the database window or if it's only when done through a form (buttons that run docmd.openreport when pressed). Is anyone aware of any issues that may be causing this? I couldn't find anything elsewhere on the MS site. Thanks - Angie P.S. the reports work fine in 2000 and XP. ...

saving file from asp.net
Hi all, I dynamically generate Word Documents from my web application using XmlDocument object and need to save them on a mapped network drive. I use the Save method of XmlDocument object to save documents. Ican save them successfully on local drive on web server. But when I try to save them on a mapped network drive, I get permission denied errors. I made sure that ASPNET had full access right in the folder where I need to save documents. I also tried using UNC path, but that also does not work. Can someone please point to what I may be doing wrong and explain the whole setup proces...

OFFSET problems in dynamic range
Hi, I'm having the strangest problem with the OFFSET function. I have 5 dynamic ranges in my worksheet. Aimline =OFFSET('Weekly ORF'!$F$4,1,0,COUNTA('Weekly ORF'$F:$F)-1,1) Sessions =OFFSET ('Weekly ORF'!$D$4,1,0,COUNTA('Weekly ORF'$E:$E)-1,1) WCPM =OFFSET ('Weekly ORF'!$G$4,1,0,COUNTA('Weekly ORF'$G:$G)-1,1) Date =OFFSET ('Weekly ORF'!Aimline,0,-1) Date2 =OFFSET ('Weekly ORF'!WCPM,0,-1) The problem is that the two names for Date and Date2 keep reverting to =OFFSET ('Excel Template.xls'!Aimline,0,-1) and =OFFSET (&#...

OnGetMinMaxInfo problem
Hi, I added an OnMinMaxInfo() function to my dialog so i can set the minimum tracking width and height for my dialog, I added this prototype to my dialog class: afx_msg void OnGetMinMaxInfo(MINMAXINFO* lpMMI); Then I added this function to set the min and max values: void CMessDlg::OnGetMinMaxInfo(MINMAXINFO* lpMMI) { POINT min; min.x = 200; min.y = 200; lpMMI->ptMinTrackSize = min; CDialog::OnGetMinMaxInfo(lpMMI); } It compiles but i can still resize the dialog to a smaller width/height, Any help would be apreciated :) Thx in advance, Thomas "Thomas" <Da_QuiK@fake...

Urgent Question Please Help: Credit Card Setup Problem
We have an urgent question regarding credit card setup/cash receipts/bank rec We understand that in Great Plains when setting up a Credit Card to be used by a Customer, it must be setup as a "Bank Card", not a "Charge Card", in order for the transaction to hit Bank Rec. However, we mistakenly setup all the Credit Cards as "Charge Cards", therefore after posting Credit Card Cash Receipt transactions in Receivables, the transaction does not appear in Bank Rec for us to perform Bank Deposits. Please Please Help!!! Is there any way to "fix" those pos...

Problem running MS CRM 3.0 over SSL (https)
I have setup an install of Microsoft CRM 3.0 on a high spec Windows 2003 Small Business Server and it all worked happily. I then generated an SSL certificate and applied it to the site in IIS. Initially when you load CRM (using the web client) it loads the left hand menu and navigation panes and shows the top menus and the user which is logged in however to main content area remains blank. After a time out period the error "An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system administrator" appears. The strange thing is you can navigate the menus etc and even edit...

WindowsCE problems
I have some problems building application for Pocket PC (MDA1), maybe someone could help me. I have these two problems: -I need to create modal dialog box, but after creation sometimes I need to access it (in response to system calls) and show some messages... what is the best way to access modal dialog box while it's running? -is there a way to change colors of single items in list-view control ? Currently, when I'm using SetTextColor before each InsertItem, color changes but for all items in list-view (CListCtrl) :\ Is there way make this work? I'm using Microsoft eMbedded Visu...

Draft Folder problem #2
I'm running outlook 2000. My draft folder is called draft1. Can't seem to rename it! There isn't a folder named draft so what's happening? Isn't a big problem, but I should be able to solve it and I can't. Help. Thanks in advance Peter You could try to start Outlook from the run line with the /resetfoldernames switch. Start-->Run outlook.exe /resetfoldernames Reference: http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistance/HP010031101033.aspx "Peter Brown" <peter.jennifer@gmail.com> wrote in message news:TErag.449$TF.2645@news-1.opaltelecom.net... &...

Problem of ghost unread posts?
Hi All! I'm using Outlook Express. Three times today I'm seeing unread posts reported that can't be found. Synchronizing doesn't cure the problem. When I use Edit > Mark All Read I get an OE hang up. Ctrl + Alt + Del > End Task Return to News and the ghost has gone. Anyone else? Cause? Solution? Not critical but annoying. I wonder if it's a remains of a spam that's been removed before I read it. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available fr...

Saving data #2
Hi all, I need to save data (results) from a base spread sheet program that i use on a weekly basis. i am in the middle of building this program, and have just discovered macros, but this, along with links is about my current knowledge of excel how can i automate to accumulate data from the base spread sheet (program) when i clear all data from the program to produce fresh results the following week, and to keep past data up to date and available for further use. Any help would be appreciated. legepe With a combination of formulas and dynamic named ranges, it is possible to just add the ...

Sent Messages not being saved in sent folder
Hi. When I send a message, Outlook is no longer saving it in the sent folder. It was doing this until about a month ago. It does not matter if this is a new message or a reply to an old message. Anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this? Thanks Mike ...

Problem Sending Mail w/Outlook 2002
I receive and send a lot of email using Outlook 2002 and my Gmail account with no problem. However, I have two friends to whom I send emails that are always returned. I get an error message like this: Technical details of permanent failure: PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 550 Invalid recipient: However, if I send the emails to them directly from Gmail, they go through just fine. Can anyone explain why they fail with Outlook? Pat This sounds like an issue with the SMTP server you have setup in outlook - not outlook itself. "patetc" <PatETC@gmail.com> wrote in messag...

Software Distribution
Hi, I try to install software using msi with mst. Software supplier told that I must run msi two times. First for some options and secound for another ( language option ). I try solve this with two way: 1) Add two mst to one package. I prepare mst with ORCA. After add secound mst and click OK i got error: "An error occurred accessing the software installation data in the active directory" and event log: Event id 110: Software Installation was unable to generate the script for \\dc\client.msi. The following error was encountered: Error applying transforms. Veri...

save attachment dialog box
Does anyone know how to change the dialog box that opens up when you click on an attachment to open, instead of save? The boss thinks he wastes too much time changing the checkbox. My guess would be somewhere in the registry, but don't know where or how. What exactly do you mean? You mean the dialog that comes up and promps you to Save, Open or Cancel? The "Confirm Open after Download" can only be modified with local admnistrator permissions as it changes the registry of the local computer. Control Panel-> Folder Options-> tab File Types -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-O...

CSV formatted text file to Excel
Hi all, I am writing a small VC++ application of how to import the CSV formatted ..txt file to excel. I am facing problem while parsing the text file. "TicketNo","CarNo","PersonAge" 12534 , 763534 , 23 12345 , 624333, 24 The problem is in MFC there is a SetValue2(CoeVariant:column data) method in which if i will pass an array(12534) then it will be imported to excel.For example IfI will search for the "employee number" field in text file then the values passed to SetValue2()should be 12543 and 12345.But Using C++ I cannot do so as I...

Problems saving HKLM
Hi there, I am trying to save the reg keys into a file: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG HKEY_CURRENT_USER HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE HKEY_USERS My program has both "SeBackupPrivilege" and "SeRestorePrivilege". I am using the RegSaveKey API. The program succesfully stores these: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG HKEY_CURRENT_USER The machine does not store these: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE HKEY_USERS Error ("Access is denied"). Can someone tell me how to save the HKLM amd HKU? This probably what the problem is: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?ur...

EUREKA -- the mutual fund problem is fixed
I just tried once more to update my Fidelity Funds in MS Money and, this time, the update worked. Both the quotes and the date were correct. EUREKA! Honestly, thanks to all who, like me, bugged Microsoft endlessly to understand the complexities of this problem and to get it fixed. We did it! "Chuck Leven" <CHLeven@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%230lQmZ03FHA.3636@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... >I just tried once more to update my Fidelity Funds in MS Money and, this >time, the update worked. Both the quotes and the date were correct. >EUREKA! Mine just upda...

Problem Converting HTML to Access
I have Access 97... When I link an HTML document to my Access table, the list shows that the information is there, but the cells are blank. The names show up only when I highlight a cell. Ex. I have 300 names and the list will say 1 out of 300, but no names will appear in the cell. It is just blank. Any suggesstions as to why this is happening? My first thought is that the HTML code in each cell of the table starts with something (e.g. a <BR> tag) that Access is interpreting as a linebreak or empty line. "rblivewire" <rblivewire@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:11...

Queue message problem
Hello, We have a Ex2k/Win2k advanced member server that had some serious problems starting Sat. morning. SMTP, POP, IMAP, www, MS Route Engine all stopped and seemed to start back up and then stop again at various intervals, eventually just stopping completely rendering the mail down. A reboot had the same problems occur. When I removed the messages that were in the queue(c:\exchsrvr\mailroot\vsi 1\queue) and then manually started the services all was well. I would like to copy back some of those messages into the queue to see if they process or cause the same problem again. Once I copy ...

Problem registering Office:mac 2008

Countif problems
I am currently trying to write a formula that looks up a centre eg Boston and then, from another column, how many 'Bostons' appear between two given dates. Is this possible? Although I am writing this formula other people will have to use it and change the date ranges regularly so it can't be overly complicated. -- Drew C With data arranged as below try the below formula. Query dates are in cells C1 & D1 =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A7>=C1)*(A1:A7<=D1)*(B1:B7="Boston")) Col A Col B Col C Col D 1/25/2010 Boston 1/25/2010 1/28/2010 1/26/2010 NY 1/27/...