Running Total of Random Number

Hi, I am trying to create a probablity simulation for a high school lesson.
It involves rolling 1/2 dice using the randbetween function to create the
die value.

I want to keep a running total of the outcomes 1-6 in a cell for each which
is linked to a chart.

Is this possible?

Do you mean a running total of all the values from the dice, if so do
tools>options>calculation and check iteration and change from 100 to 1,
assume randbetween formula is in A1 and you want the running total in B1,
in B1 put =A1+B1, press F9 to calculate

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Mr H" wrote:

> Hi, I am trying to create a probablity simulation for a high school lesson.
> It involves rolling 1/2 dice using the randbetween function to create the
> die value.
>
> I want to keep a running total of the outcomes 1-6 in a cell for each which
> is linked to a chart.
>
> Is this possible?

0
PeoSjoblom (789)
1/18/2005 10:35:02 PM
If I understand you correctly:

Enter =RANDBETWEEN(1,6) into cell A1 and copy down to
A100, for example.

Type 1,2,3,4,5,6 into cells B1,B2, ...,B6.

Enter =COUNTIF(A:A,B1) into cell C1 and copy down to cell
C6.

Select cells B1:C6, goto menu Insert/Chart and try some
charts you like.

HTH,
Bernd
0
bplumhoff (22)
1/19/2005 8:11:58 AM
Thanks for your replies/help Peo Sjoblom & Bernd Plumhoff!

I tried both methods, the iteration method worked well but will this setting
affect any other worksheets I have?  I don't have any other iterations or
circular references.

Bernd, I couldn't get yours to work.  I did as you suggested but just got
the value 65535 appearing randomly in column C next to any of 1-6.  However,
I would prefer a method that didn't use Tools > Options, etc so that I can
share the worksheet with colleagues and students fairly novice at Excel.
Unless I have a macro that does it for me.

Thanks again!

Michael Aitchison

"Bernd Plumhoff" <bplumhoff@t-online.de> wrote in message
> If I understand you correctly:
>
> Enter =RANDBETWEEN(1,6) into cell A1 and copy down to
> A100, for example.
>
> Type 1,2,3,4,5,6 into cells B1,B2, ...,B6.
>
> Enter =COUNTIF(A:A,B1) into cell C1 and copy down to cell
> C6.
>
> Select cells B1:C6, goto menu Insert/Chart and try some
> charts you like.
>
> HTH,
> Bernd

Thanks again, the finished worksheets (Coin Toss & Dice) are on
www.mathsroom.co.uk/downloads.htm if you are interested!

Random Cursor Movement
I have a remote user who swears that, while creating an email, the cursor will jump up one or more lines. He says that this has happened several times and that it then goes away as quickly as it occurs. Has anyone seen this happen and, if so, what causes it and how can it be corrected? Is he using a laptop with a touchpad? I've seen that happen when the user brushed the touchpad with his palm while typing. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions...

Running Office 2001 on Mac OS 10.2, help
This might be a dumb question, but I don't want to screw things up. I was running Mac OS 9.0.4 and I downloaded OS 9.1, 9.1.2, 9.2.2 and then the new 10.2. However, all my software is still in the 9.1 classic. I want to use it all in the new OS 10.2. Will Office 2001 Academic Edition work in OS 10.2? Do I need to uninstall it in OS 9.1 first, then install it is OS 10.2? Or, can I just drag and drop it on the 10.2 desktop or in the applications folder? I have a lot of other expensive softwares in OS 9.1 that I don't want to have to upgrade, but need to be able to use in OS 10.2. Wi...

How can I prioritize tasks by number in Outlook 2007?
I am trying to create a custom priority for my tasks in Outlook 2007, but I'm not able to edit the field that was created when I changed the settings to include a custom priority. I'm trying to put a number into it, so that I can sort my tasks in a certain category by number, but I'm not able to. We aren't watching you and your explanation is missing details. Where in Outlook are you trying to view the Tasks? There are 3 places to see Tasks. If in the Task Folder, what View are you in? If in Tasks folder you probably need to turn on in-line editing. Regards Judy Gle...

Calculate number of months
Hello, I have a field where I am trying to implement a calculation. I want it to take the date in a cell and subtract it from today's date to show me the total number of months between those two dates. So right now, it looks like =(TODAY())-D3 and it returns 167 - the total number of days. How do I make it show me months? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE =Month(Today())-Month(D3) "TxWebDesigner" <beverly@beverlylanedesigns.com> schreef in bericht news:e3fR#jXWJHA.5032@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I have a field where I am trying to implement a calculation...

I have a problem with getting a total Sum of numbers (URGENT)
I'd really appreciate if someone could help me here. I am using Microsoft Excel 2002 on a Microsoft Office XP system. I a trying to develop a minor league baseball schedule, but am having som problems. I have attached a copy of my spreadsheet to give everyone some idea o what I'm doing here. I have where the fans list the "RUNS, HITS & ERRORS) of both teams an for each game of the series. I then have it set up in the TOTA WON/LOST column where if the T-Bones RUNS are more than the SALTDOG runs, a "1" appears in the WON column. If the SALTDOGS have a highe numbe...

I can't run My outlook 2007 as its capacity is exceeded. How can .
My outlook 2007 has exceeded is maximum capacity two days ago and since then I can't run it since I am always getting a system comment saying that I need to empty folders to have it back - which I did inquite a large number os them. Now I would like to know how can I overcome this situation since, as I said, I have emptied quite a lot of folders and no result was obtainesd so far. Kindly help me with your advices. the soonest if possible Thanks Graça Maria Portugal There is no such thing as Maximum Capacity in outlook. How many emails a day do you receive? ...

Run-time error '381' Invalid property array index
Dear All, I am using RMS 2.0, In POS i set security (disable read) on all columns of setting Customer window. But i got this error when i press F7: Run-time error '381' Invalid property array index. Any kind of help will be highly appreciated. Ibrahim Zubair I get the same message when I try to reprint a receipt did you find the answer to this problem? "Ibrahim Zubair" wrote: > Dear All, > > I am using RMS 2.0, In POS i set security (disable read) on all columns of > setting Customer window. But i got this error when i press F7: > Run-time error '...

number in system using arrivals and departures
Is there and easy way to figure out the total number of persons in a system if have access to the arrival and departure times. I have tried to use counts with if statements, but I keep getting the number 1. I know this is not correct. Is there any special macros or functions Thanks Hi you may provide some more details about your data. Could you post some example rows (plain text - no attachments please) and describe your expecte result -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany megv wrote: > Is there and easy way to figure out the total number of persons in a > system if have access...

How to know which mfc.dlls are needed to run my app
When I build a .exe using MFC, it won't run unless it can access the proper .dlls (mfc32d.dll, etc.). How can I find which .dlls I need to include when I want to install my software on another computer? First of all, if your application is complaining about a missing mfc DLL that has a "d" on the end of the name then you need to rebuild your application using the Release build. The debug DLLs are not, nor should they be, redistributable. Next, you can run the depends.exe utility to identify what DLLs your application requires. It will show you ALL the DLLs that are needed to...

how would you calculate the number of hits to your website
Hi ,' can some one tell to me the answer of this question On a website, how would you calculate the number of hits to your website ...

Custom total in PivotTable
How do you add a custom total in a PivotTable! For instance: Field1 Field2 Field3 DATA DATA DATA DATA DATA DATA DATA DATA DATA TOTAL (all DATA under Field3 column) I've tried it with grand total but it doesn't work. The only way was to insert new calculated field and grand total, but that gives me two same data columns at the end. Thanks for helping, Boris ...

columns changed to numbers instead of letters?
I noticed my excel clumns have changed from letters to numbers and forumlas now look like =RC[-1]*R[-3]C[6] I was trying to make the R[-3]C[6] static (using the $) but it errors. Thanks Mike In Excel Options uncheck "R1C1 Reference Style" Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 20:25:30 -0400, Mike <no_please@not.com> wrote: >I noticed my excel clumns have changed from letters to numbers and >forumlas now look like =RC[-1]*R[-3]C[6] >I was trying to make the R[-3]C[6] static (using the $) but it errors. >Thanks >Mike ...

A way to increase a number in a cell by using the + key
Hi, i do a lot of data entry and am looking for a way to increase the number in a cell (or range of cells) so that i dont have to enter the new number in each time. I have columns that separate items and i use the sheet to show the total count for each item in it's row. eg Item 1 Item 2 Item 3 2 5 4 I'd like to use the + key only to increase the counts for each item. Did i make sense?? It's a Friday and my mind isn't quite up for a lot of detailed explanations, lol. Any assistance would be appreciated. Tim That would require VBA How far are you will...

reference number #2
--------------------------------- Where does the information in the "reference number" field in the transaction table come from? I see tranactions with reference numbers - the first part of which appears to be the year, month and day - but I can't figure out the second part. It is nothing that we have intentionally entered while ringing out the customer. Pls help. -Tracey ##-----------------------------------------------## Newsgroup Access Courtesy http://www.rockryno.com/ Tax and Accounting Software Forums Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - microsoft.p...

number changes to date ... how do I change
I am trying to do an "age" range: 1-9 10-19 20-29 Instead I get September 9, 2004 or October 19 I can't figure out how to change it. Please help! Thank you! kk Format->Cells->Number Change the type to Text, and it should keep everything the way you want it. If you don't specify a type, Excel takes a guess based on what you enter. Hope that helps. -Bob --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Add numbers accross columns after stripping away text
I have the following data in a spreadsheet: A1 B1 C1 D1 E1 F1 4.5f 6f 3.5f 3f 7.25f I need to be able to add the numbers together to give me 24.25, i.e. strip the fs away. The numbers will always be less than 10 and the there will only ever be .25 or.5 or .75 after the number (I don't know whether that is significant?). If anyone can show me how to do this I would be very grateful. I have been messing around with MID and FIND to no avail and then started thinking that SUMPRODUCT might have to get involved but it all got a bit m...

Random numbers, Canadian Zip Code style #2
Honestly, I don't even know where to begin -- Shocke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Shocked's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1489 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26523 ...

How to total a column of cells without using Autosum
Help me remember please. I used to be able to quickly total a rance of cells by simply highlighting them. The total would then appear in the fx box. I can't seem to remember how do do this. I'm using Excell in Office 2003. Thanks Hi, Select a cell directly under or to the side of the range and click the auto-sum button (sigma) button -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "Goldar" wrote: > Help me remember please. I us...

Formatting Numbers to Text or??!!!
I have a spreadsheet that contains the following data: Date Account ID 5/14/08 5280-3-01 5/14/08 5280-3-01 5/14/08 5280-3-01 5/14/08 5280-3-01 5/14/08 5280-3-01 5/14/08 5280-3-01 5/14/08 1030-0-01 5/14/08 1030-0-01 5/14/08 2101-0-01 5/14/08 2101-0-01 5/14/08 2101-0-01 5/14/08 2101-0-01 5/14/08 2101-0-01 5/14/08 2101-0-01 5/14/08 2101-0-01 5/14/08 2101-0-01 When I save it as a .csv file it looks like this: Date Account ID 5/14/2008 3/1/5280 5/14/2008 3/1/5280 5/14/2008 3/1/5280 5/14/2008 3/1/5280 5/14/2008 3/1/5280 5/14/2008 3/1/5280 5/14/2008 1030-0-01 5/14/2...

Passing Variable Number of Arguments to a Sub
Does anyone know how I can do the above. I am constructing a list of arguments in one sub to pass to another. Something along the following lines: Sub One Dim sArgs() As String j = 0 ReDim Preserve sArgs(j) sArgs(j) = Chr(34) & "Arg1" & chr(34) j = 1 ReDim Preserve sArgs(j) sArgs(j) = Chr(34) & "Arg2" & chr(34) Call Sub2(Join( Args(), ",") End Sub Sub2(ParamArray Args()) 'Sub 2 Code End Sub I know the problem lies in the fact that the join statement returns single string. I want to know how I can have the strings separated b comma...

How to quit applications that are running
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel I just purchased Office:mac 2008 & removed all test drives. But before the install all other application must quit running. Not sure how to do this. ...

Same operations on a variable number of rows
I am posting this to both the regular and the programming group because I don't know if the solution requires programming. If not, sorry and ignore this. Anyway, here is my questions. I have a specific and then a more general issues. I have a set of data that changes frequently. In particular, the number of items change. What I want to do is get the list of unique concatenations of the items. Now that part is easy. I concatenate the cells. Copy as value. Then make a filter unique. But that is lots of action on my part. I have to copy the concatenate formula to a variable number of rows. I...

Can I add and update a reference number
I would like to add column at the beginning (left most) of a sheet whic would serve as a reference number, i.e. 1, 2, 3, ..., n, to identify row. I don't want to use the Row and column headings check box under pag setup because that numbers from the very first row, and there are rows used for titles on every page. I would like this to automatically get updated if I insert a row an add data or if I add data after the current last row. Is there an option I can use or a function I can create? Thank you, Pete -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com It depends on exactly what you ...

I should be able to run the same reports in POS and in Manager
I am able to run reports in the POS at the click of a button by going to Shift F6...I can compare data at the touch of a button...when doing so in Manager, it's more complicated, and there are no charts...which personally I like to look at. It's just faster in the POS...Should be the same in manager! -- Thank You Vince :) ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link...

How do I substract numbers in range like this: Substract(a1..a10)
depends on what you mean... Maybe: =-sum(a1:a10) or maybe: a1-sum(a2:a10) Paulo wrote: -- Dave Peterson For example: to add I do this a1 1.00 + a2 2.00 + a3 3.00 + a4 6.00 (total) =sum(a1:a3) I want to do this a1 6.00 - a2 1.00 - a3 1.00 - a4 4.00 (total) =?(a1:a3) "Dave Peterson" wrote: > depends on what you mean... > > Maybe: > =-sum(a1:a10) > or > maybe: > a1-sum(a2:a10) > > > > Paulo wrote: > > -- > > Dave Peterson > Try =A1-SUM(A2:A3) Regards Rowan Paulo wrote: > For example: to add I do this > a1 1.0...