Row and columns

In excel my rows are numbered 1 through XXX and my
columns are also numbered 1 through XXX. On my other
computers using the same current version of Excel the
columns are identified using Alpha A,B,C,D etc. Anyone
know how to change the columns to Alpha v.s. numbers?
0
anonymous (74722)

Joe, tools, optins, general, and uncheck R1C1 reference style

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2000 & 97
"Joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In excel my rows are numbered 1 through XXX and my
> columns are also numbered 1 through XXX. On my other
> computers using the same current version of Excel the
> columns are identified using Alpha A,B,C,D etc. Anyone
> know how to change the columns to Alpha v.s. numbers?

0
newspab (272)
10/18/2003 3:03:37 AM
Thanks!!!!!

benefit from it
>** remove news from my email address to reply by email **
>"Joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> In excel my rows are numbered 1 through XXX and my
>> columns are also numbered 1 through XXX. On my other
>> computers using the same current version of Excel the
>> columns are identified using Alpha A,B,C,D etc. Anyone
>> know how to change the columns to Alpha v.s. numbers?
>

>.

0
anonymous (74722)
10/18/2003 3:10:54 AM
Have a look in "tools"options general tab. R1C1 should be
unchecked.

0
anonymous (74722)

Hlookup in other columns
In doing a hlookup I would like returned the cell contents from the left column and also left of that as in the example x y z aa ab ac 1 2 3 4 5 6 hlookup(ab1,a1:dd1000, 1) = 5 but I am interested in receiving answer 4 and separetely answer 3 Dan Try something like this: hlookup(ab1,a1:dd1000, 1) = 5 for the matched item: =INDEX(A1:DD1000,1,MATCH(AB1,A1:DD1,0)) For the item one cell to the left of the matched item: =INDEX(A1:DD1000,1,MATCH(AB1,A1:DD1,0)-1) For the item two cells to the left of the matched item: =INDEX(A1:DD1000,1,MATCH(AB1,A1:DD1,0)-2) Does ...

Restrict Number of Columns
How do i restrict my worksheet to 20 rows & 20 columns. On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 01:20:01 -0800, xxx <xxx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do i restrict my worksheet to 20 rows & 20 columns. Hide the rows and columns that you don't want to see. Hope this helps / Lars-�ke Hide those you don't want to look at. Or set the scrollarea via VBA Since the scrollarea method does not stick between sessions you will have to reset it each time you open the workbook. You may wish to place the code into a WorkBook_Open Sub in ThisWorkbook module and specify...

sorting two columns
Hi I would like to know if there is a way to sort two different culumn side by side. my problem is that in column one there is 8700 record and the second has 3700 records, what command can I use to make the second column records line up sid by side to the first column? Regards JD example: a b b d c e d -- jdimin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jdimino's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2951 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=52525 ...

How do I not print the column letters A-Z but keep the row #'s
I am trying to print a chart where I want to keep the row numbers but not the column headings A-Z printed. Choosing Page setup under the Sheets tab only lists them together not as single choices. Is there a way to customize the sheet to only list the row numbers? How about inserting a new A column and adding =ROW() best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "jgb" <jgb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E503B439-3323-4CE9-A5B8-5477CFC091C2@microsoft.com... >I am trying to print a chart where I want to keep the row ...

Reference every 4th row from a master list of modifiable length
I'm creating an excel database for a clinical study on patients wit migraine. Each patients will treat 4 attacks (episodes). Thi presents a bit of a problem, since there's some information I' collecting that's specific to the patient (demographic information lik sex, height, etc.), and some that is specific to each attack (like th pain level of that attack, the duration of that attack, etc.). T account for this, I decided to give each patient four rows--one fo each attack--and I put their deomographic information in the secon row, leaving the other three blank in those fiel...

change color if text is = or not, to text in other column
I am taking practice tests. ColB contains text (the correct answers). ColC contains text (my practice answers). I want the cells in ColC to turn green if my answer is correct (matches the text in ColB) and turn red if it is incorrect (does not match the text in ColB). I can't figure out how to get it to apply Conditional Formating on the columns. It wants me to apply it to only a single cell. I've also tried copying and pasting special just the formatting. It turns the cells in ColC green if they match cell B2 (not the corresponding answer that is in the same row). Please ...

Hiding Rows Conditionally
Is it possible to hide a row only if a certain cell in the row contains a reference to another cell that has a specific value? Here's the scenario: Column A of a Summary sheet contains a list of 20 categories. Each category row contains references to data on another worksheet. Often, there is no data for a specific category, so the Summary sheet displays the category with zeroes or various errors depending on the formulas referencing the data. I would like to hide the entire row if the referenced data cell contains a certain value, for instance "0". Can it be done? Thanks for a...

Resize Excel column's width automatically
How can an Excel column's width automatically increase/decrease depending on the maximium number of digits in any one cell of the column. I am wanting to use this for a template so the column must be able to increase or decrease. I am using a version that came with Microsoft Office XP Professional. Dog, Double click the border in the column header. This is a one-time adjustment of the column width. It doesn't dynamically adjust the width to the widest cell as does the Row Height Autofit. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net -----------------------------...

Combining rows of data that have one cell in common
Hi everyone, let me explain... I'm working with a large excel file (13,000+ rows) of cancer cases recorded in the state of Florida. Each time a patient presents with a cancer, that "case" is recorded as a row on the spreadsheet, along with a UNIQUE patient ID assigned to that particular individual. If that same person develops another cancer sometime later, that information appears in a new case/row, but with the SAME patient ID. I need to export this file to another program (SPSS v13.0) to do some advanced statistical analysis. However, the program requires that all of t...

Column Headings #3
My column headings have numbers instead of letters. Does anyone know how to change this? Go to Tools, Options, then go to the General Tab. You will see an R1C1 reference style. The box next to it (on your's) is probably checked. Click on it to remove. Chuck >-----Original Message----- >My column headings have numbers instead of letters. Does >anyone know how to change this? >. > ...

Printing the first two rows as headers.
I would like to have the first two rows print at the top of every page of my print out. I know this is a basic function, yet I can not seem to find it in the help function. Could someone please post how to do this /AND/ tell me what key words to put in the search/help function that would show the answer as well. Thanks Michael -- J. Michael Morse michael@stignatius.cc <mailto:michael@stignatius.cc> St. Ignatius <C:/Parish%20Administration/Graphics/Bulletin/Ignatius2C.jpg> "Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier." - Mother Teresa Hi ...

'Interleaf' columns of data
I need to take two large columns of data and 'interleaf' them. So, if I have data in columns A and B, I want in column C: C1 = A1 C2 = B1 C3 = A2 C4 = B2 C5 = A3 C6 = B3 C7 = A4 C8 = B4 etc. How can I do this? Thanks. -- Testing123 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Testing123's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16631 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=490327 In C1: =OFFSET($A$1,(ROW()-1)/2,1-MOD(ROW(),2)) Autofill that down through column C. HTH. --Bruce "...

Change overlap of 2 columns on 2 axes
I am trying to plot 2 columns of data on the same X-axis but on 2 Y-axis plots. But the columns are overlapping and I can't see one set of data. I don't want them stacked and changing the gap and overlap width doesn't seem to do anything. Suggestions? Hi, You need to add 2 dummy series to act as place holders. Example data set in range A1:E4 B1: =Left C1: =DumRight D1: =DumLeft E1:=Right A2: =One B2: =1 C2: =0 D2: =0 E2: =3 A3: =Two B3: =2 C3: =0 D3: =0 E3: =2 A4: =Four B4: =3 C4: =0 D4: =0 E4: =1 ...

vb dataset row count incorrect
Hi Has anyone else had this problem. Im using a vb .net dataset to read & write XML but when I check the number of rows for a table it's incorrect. Example number of rows = 4 table row count says there are 8 rows does anyone know how to correct this problem ? Regards Neil neil rowe wrote: > Has anyone else had this problem. Im using a vb .net dataset to read & > write XML but when I check the number of rows for a table it's incorrect. > > Example number of rows = 4 > table row count says there are 8 rows That may have something to do with whitespa...

Columns in subreport
I have a sub report that I want to appear in two columns. I have set it to 2 columns in Page setup and when I run it on its own it's fine. However when I run it as part of the main report it wont appear as 2 columns. How can I force it to show in 2 columns in my main report? Thanks Tony Tony Williams wrote: > I have a sub report that I want to appear in two columns. I have set > it to 2 columns in Page setup and when I run it on its own it's fine. > However when I run it as part of the main report it wont appear as 2 > columns. How can I force it to show in 2 columns...

how to make a scrollable group of columns/rox in middle of sheet
hey there I was wondering how to make a list of col/row scrollable (either horizontal or vertical) while leaving reast of cells still ? I have seen it done but it is very confusing ... ? thanks Windows>freeze panes or windows>split depending on what you mean Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Simo Sentissi" wrote: > hey there > > I was wondering how to make a list of col/row scrollable (either horizontal > or vertical) while leaving reast of cells still ? > I have seen it done but it is very confusing ... ? > > thanks > > > ...

Switch X & Y axis' when both data columns are dates (target/actual
I am plotting Target vs Actual completion dates for a project management S-Curve, using Excel. Since both data columns are "dates", Excel wants to use "dates" on the Value Axis (Y), while putting the Task #s on the X axis. How do I switch axis' so that time runs horizontally on the X axis, with the Task #s on the Y? Thanks Chart menu > Source Data > Series tab: change what's in the edit boxes for X and Y. You could try this utility: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/axes.html#SwitchXY - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Cust...

How to Show/Hide Columns or Rows with no data via VB
Hi, I am need of some advice please. I have a spreedsheet (2007) which I designed as an attendence register. Currently it works well but I want to improve on a few matters. For the main page I have a column with the date, next column day, then the next 40 columns are set for the crew employees. These are broken into 4 groups of 10 for each crew (A,B,C,D, Shift workers), however there is normally only 7 people per crew, the other 3 are blank unless there are extra enployees to that crew. Currently I am hiding and showing manually, but I want to be able to do something via ...

Concatenate column with leading zeros
I need to create a column with the entire UPC code of each item listed in the item column, but when I concatenate the columns to form the UPC the leading zeros in the UPC item colun are dropped. I sthere a way around this? Thanks in advance begin 666 MAY Boise items.xlsx M4$L#!!0`!@`(````(0#(H\TT=@$```0%```3`-T!6T-O;G1E;G1?5'EP97-= M+GAM;""BV0$HH `"```````````````````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` M```````````````````````````````````````...

Conditional Formatting Whole Row
Morning All, Using Windows and Excel XP. I have a worksheet that has the dates of this month in A1:A31 and other data in B1:F31. I have set up a conditonal format: cell value equal to =TODAY() to have the current date (December 6) in A1:A31 to highlight in yellow. What I would like to do is not only highlight the current date but also all the data in that particular row. For example, in A1:A31, December 6, 2003 (cell A6) is highlighted in yellow. How can I get the entire row (A6:F6) to be highlighted in yellow. Is it possible to do that? Thanks in advance, Mi...

use same cell w/in a function in a entire column.
I want to be able to create a entire column in which every cell in the column pulls a data point from the same cell. If I high light and paste from my initial, lets say B1 to b2 through b100. It changes the A1 data in each cell to the next to a2 a3 a4 a5 a6 a7 a8 ect.. i know this is simple but thanks anyway. Todd Put a $ in front of the row reference (ex: a$1 instead of a1) to keep the row from advancing as you fill down. (Similarly you could put a $ in from of the column reference to keep the column from advancing as you fill right). Check Excel's help on 'cell and range re...

insert a row in a protected sheet
hello out there, does anyone know in excel. how do insert a row in a protected sheet without unprotecting the sheet. i have a document where i do not want the formula to be touched in no way form or fashion but i would like my users to constantly add or delete information as they occur and the only way to do this is by inserting or deleting a row to enter information. thanking you all in advance for your continued help. thank you, rennoyinc ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Software! Free Support at http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/ ** Which versio...

Multiplying values in columns
I want to be able to create totals in one column from entries in another column. For example if a3=10 a7=8 a11=8. I want the corresponding rows in column b to be multiplied by 18.75. ie . b3= a3*18.75 b7=a7*18.75 b11=a11*18.75 Not every row has an entry. Paste this formula in B3. =IF(A3<>"",A3*18.75,"") Now copy the A3 Formula and paste it for the remaining cells. Remember to Click Yes, if this post helps! -------------------- (Ms-Exl-Learner) -------------------- "Ach" wrote: > I want to be able to create totals i...

how can I list items in a column with totals?
how can I list items in a column with totals? I have a column containing a list of multiple (text) items. I'd like to have a summary, so that I have a list of the items together with the totals of how many times the item appeared. I guess this must be simple, but don't know how to go about it. Cheers Hello Andy Have a look at Data, Sub-Totals HTH Cordially Pascal "andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 025BFDCE-0F77-49D3-8A4F-8AFADF4CAAF1@microsoft.com... > how can I list items in a column with totals? > > I have a col...

compare 2 columns and select the lowest
Hi I have simple question I have 2 coumns A and B A1 is text and B1 is numbers and so on.. depending of B columns numbers , i want colums C to show alway lowest numbers on top, but also text like if A1,B1 is Mike 29 then A2,B2 is Josh 34, then column C shows Mike 29 but on top, not as a secon row.. Couldn't you just sort by column B in ascending order and leave the data right where it is? If that's not ok, how about an alternative? I'd add a new column C. Then use a formula like this in C1: =text(a1,"000")&"-"&b1 and drag down...