Restructuring text data in excel? Pivot?

Hi!

I have a large sum och data in the order below:

Choice	Course 1	Course 2	Course 3	Course 4
1	Name 1	Name 3	Name 2	Name 1
2	Name 3	Name 4	Name 4	Name 3
3	Name 5

I would like to structure it differently to the format below:

Choice	1	2	3
Name 1	Course 1	Course 4
Name 2	Course 3
Name 3	Course 1	Course 2	Course 4
Name 4	Course 2	Course 3
Name 5	Course 1

Is this possible? I have been trying to use pivottables without any luck.

Cheers and thanks,
Pete

Pivottables work with numbers (sum of, max of, average of).  They won't work
with text.

And I don't understand how Name 1 can have both course 1 and course 4 as its
first choice.  I'm guessing that this is an error in your post--each person can
have at most one first choice, at most one 2nd choice, ...

If that's true, then this worked ok in my testing:

Option Explicit
Sub testme()
    Dim InWks As Worksheet
    Dim TempWks As Worksheet
    Dim OutWks As Worksheet

    Dim TempTable As Range

    Dim iRow As Long
    Dim FirstRow As Long
    Dim LastRow As Long

    Dim iCol As Long
    Dim FirstCol As Long
    Dim LastCol As Long

    Dim oRow As Long
    Dim res As Variant
    Dim myFormula As String

    Set InWks = Worksheets("Sheet1")
    Set TempWks = Worksheets.Add
    Set OutWks = Worksheets.Add

    TempWks.Range("A1").Resize(1, 3).Value _
        = Array("Name", "Choice", "Course")

    oRow = 1
    With InWks
        FirstRow = 2
        FirstCol = 2

        For iRow = FirstRow To LastRow
            LastCol = .Cells(iRow, .Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
            For iCol = FirstCol To LastCol
                If Trim(.Cells(iRow, iCol).Value) = "" Then
                    'skip it
                Else
                    oRow = oRow + 1
                    TempWks.Cells(oRow, "A").Value = .Cells(iRow, iCol).Value
                    TempWks.Cells(oRow, "B").Value = .Cells(iRow, "A").Value
                    TempWks.Cells(oRow, "C").Value = .Cells(1, iCol).Value
                End If
            Next iCol
        Next iRow
    End With

    With TempWks
        .Range("A1", .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp)).AdvancedFilter _
            action:=xlFilterCopy, criteriarange:="", _
            copytorange:=OutWks.Range("A1"), unique:=True

        .Range("B1", .Cells(.Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp)).AdvancedFilter _
            action:=xlFilterCopy, criteriarange:="", _
            copytorange:=OutWks.Range("b1"), unique:=True

        Set TempTable = .Range("a2", .Cells(.Rows.Count, "C").End(xlUp))
    End With

    With OutWks
        .Range("b2", .Cells(.Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp)).Copy
        .Range("C1").PasteSpecial Transpose:=True
        .Range("b1").EntireColumn.Delete

        'fill in the data portion of this table with a formula like:
        '=INDEX(Sheet10!$C$2:$C$10,
        '    MATCH(1,((Sheet10!$A$2:$A$10=$A2)*(Sheet10!$B$2:$B$10=B$1)),0))

        myFormula = "=index(" & TempTable.Columns(3).Address(external:=True) _
            & ",match(1,((" & TempTable.Columns(1).Address(external:=True) _
            & "=$a2)*(" & TempTable.Columns(2).Address(external:=True) _
            & "=b$1)),0))"

        .Range("B2").FormulaArray = myFormula

        LastCol = .Cells(1, .Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column

        .Range("B2").AutoFill _
            Destination:=.Range("B2", .Cells(2, LastCol)), Type:=xlFillCopy

        .Range("B2", .Cells(2, LastCol)).AutoFill _
            Destination:=.Range("B2", .Cells(LastRow, LastCol)), _
               Type:=xlFillCopy

        With .Range("b2", Cells(LastRow, LastCol))
            .Copy
            .PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues

            .Replace What:="#n/a", _
                Replacement:="", _
                LookAt:=xlPart, _
                SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
                MatchCase:=False, _
                SearchFormat:=False, _
                ReplaceFormat:=False
        End With
    End With

    With Application
        .CutCopyMode = False
        .DisplayAlerts = False
        TempWks.Delete
        .DisplayAlerts = True
    End With

End Sub

If you're new to macros:

Debra Dalgleish has some notes how to implement macros here:
http://www.contextures.com/xlvba01.html

David McRitchie has an intro to macros:

Ron de Bruin's intro to macros:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/code.htm

(General, Regular and Standard modules all describe the same thing.)

--

Dave Peterson
0

data input in text box

Excel 2007

Excel not Access

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

MS Money 95 data files

Opening Excel Workbooks

help with simple maths in excel

Sorting Data #5

How do I use traffic lights in excel

HELP! remote data not accessible msg

Calculating age in a label or text box on a form
Hello All, I have a text box for birthdate for a user to enter the birthdate and I want to the age for the user to be automatically calcuated and displayed in another label called "Age." What formula can I use? Missy ...

Excel Problem

Excel DNS query