Representing times in excel without dates

Excel experts I need your help!! I am using Office XP excel and am trying to
represent time in the format: AM/PM without seconds. When I put in the time
[I have the cell number format set to time/"1:30PM"/Locale is English (United
States)], it comes up with the date preceding the time. I have tried varying
settings of time but they all come up with the date. So if I try to put in
1:00PM it would represent this as a date and leave the rest of the time as
12am. I am doing a time sheet that subtracts the hours from between two times
and then adds the differences up. I want it to be user friendly so that the
times are easy to put in without dates coming up!
0
Bill7393 (298)

Format the cells as personalized.  Do a h:mm AM/PM and this will give
you the correct time.  For PM you need to put 13 or 17 for example, but
once you enter it the conversion is done automatically.

--
ehntd
ehntd's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15865

Date prompt appearing twice due to chart in report
Hi All, I am creating a report based on a query. I have a prompt to ask for the Beginning Date and the Ending Date. When I run the query I get the correct results. I also get the correct results when I run the report. However, I have just added a pie chart in my report footer, and because of this, I am always forced to enter the beginning and ending dates twice when running the report. What do I need to do to make the prompt only appear 1 time for each date? Thank you! decklun The prompt appears each time Access needs to run the query. Once for the report and a second time for ...

Excel 2007 and large spreadsheets
I have a user that doesn't want to move to Excel 2007 from 2003 due to what he describes as "Specifically, my analytical tasks often involve creating very large spreadsheets (>100 MB) for data processing. I found that Excel 2007 tended to freeze up or calculate indefinitely when working with such large spreadsheets, and therefore was unsatisfactory for my needs". I can't find anything that addresses this type of issue. -- Len Robinson Manager, IT Helpdesk SkyTerra LP Len, type in:- EXCEL Specifications And Limits - on an F1 search within EXCEL 2007...

Excel and MS Works v4.5
Have been using MS Works v4.5 with W98se for some time now due to invoicing capability, but am new to e-mail and the net. Am wondering if Works document or spreadsheet files are e- mailable or convertible to such and also if recipient can read these files with more modern versions of Excel and Word. Thanks Mark I use excel2002, but not Works. But Works has an option under File|SaveAs to save as a .xls file. I think I'd do a little experiment and save your file as a .xls file and email one. Then find out if everything worked ok. Mark wrote: > > Have been using MS Works ...

Using Excell to input data into Access
Is it posible to use an excel spreadsheet to enter data into access? The actual reason for using excel to enter the fields in access is that over 100 of our users are familiar with excel, but do not know anything about databases. They actually call excel a database about 1/2 of the time. We work in a contract research facility that does lots of different projects in several scientific disciplines of varying complexity. I started using databases to store my research data in back in the 80's with db3. We did not even have an IT department until about 2 years ago. I have been trying to drag ...

my Excel documents do not maintain landscape setting when shared
When I print my spreadhseets I use setup to select landscape but if I email teh file to another user, they auto print as portrait not landscape. Same thing happens when others share spreadsheets with me. Is there an option I should be setting?? ...

In excel how do i put zero as the first Number in a cell
how could i add zeros as the first number in a cell without a decimal Hi Two ways: Start your entry with an ', to read '083, or Format the cells where you want to insert this as text, and then enter the number "help" wrote: > how could i add zeros as the first number in a cell without a decimal > Either format the cell for TEXT (Right-click > FormatCells > NumberTab > Text > ok), or if you only have a few, just type a leading apostrophe before the leading zero.........it won't show up and will change that cell to TEXT format.......... Vaya con ...

Can delimited ASCII be separated into Excel 2002 rows instead of .
I have a set of 400 names and email addressed that I am trying to separate into three colums: last name first name email address. I have pasted the whole file into one cell and used the "Data Text to colum" command and it separates the delimited ASCII file into the 3 components BUT across colums in row 1 AND does not spearate all of them out because there are too many sets of names and email addresses and too few columns. What can I do to get the 3 colums of data I need? How did you put ALL the file in one cell? Open the file with File open, in FileOpen dialog set file t...

how do i find a true value between two different times e.g. 4:15
i would like to find the exact value between two different time in hours and minutes e.g. 4:15 (4 hours 15 minutes) and not 4:42 (4.42 hours) for example. Subtract them! An example: Enter 8:45 in A1 and 5:15 in A2. Enter the formula =A1-A2 in A3 and, voila, the answer is 3:30. Excel will automatically assign the time format to A3 if it has the General number format. -- Jim "Chris01623" <Chris01623@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF16BD54-CC0C-4188-B18D-1C3CE871D95A@microsoft.com... |i would like to find the exact value between two different time in h...

How to create dialog window without using the resource
Hi group How to create dialog window without using the resource ? -- Regards http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;155257 Dialog Templates in Memory ...

excel date shows 01/00/1900!
I have a whole spreadsheet where when I type in the date i.e. 3/5/05 it then shows 1/00/00 as the date! I have tried changing the format to the many different ways to show the date, but I can't get it to show 3/5/05! Is there something I am missing? Thank you so much for your help! Katie I'm guessing that you entered the date in the cell like this =3/5/05 If so, a calculation is being done. I get 1/0/1900 when I enter it that way. Try just entering it as 3/5/05 with no equal sign. "KateZito" wrote: > I have a whole spreadsheet where when I type in the date...

Count hours between date and time given
Hello, Is there a formula to count the total of hours between : 3-Feb-2004 14:20 to 4-Feb-2004 15:30 Hi see your other post -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Joyce wrote: > Hello, > > Is there a formula to count the total of hours between : > > 3-Feb-2004 14:20 to 4-Feb-2004 15:30 On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:43:04 -0800, "Joyce" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, > >Is there a formula to count the total of hours between : > >3-Feb-2004 14:20 to 4-Feb-2004 15:30 If the later date/time is in A2; and the earlier one in...

excel changes a string in a csv file to a date format! how to get around this?
hi experts... i have a csv file with a one field as follows: ........ ,"2300-1-6", ............... this is not a date. it is a string that i want to appear just like that. but in excel, it imports it as a date and changes it to 1/6/2300 i tried to change the cell format from date to general (or text), but this makes it appear as 146104. i tired to rename the .csv file to .txt and play with the import options, but nothing worked. can someone please help! thanks hilz Never mind. i found it. When the file is changed to txt file, the import options can handle it. i just did not know...

Excel Help #8

Validation in excel
Hi, I am have been dumped with some work that is beyond my knowledge and would wecome any help. I want to use validation to not allow data entry if another cell is blank. I have various routes but no joy. This will be the first of many questions I feel. Hope to hear from you soon. Regards Rugby Man Just use Data Validation with a custom type, and a formula of say =C1<>"" Uncheck the Ignore blank box. -- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "Rugby Man" <paul.senior@bt.com> wrote in message news:11...

How do I open a QuattroPro file using Excel?
Quattro version Excel version If wq1>just open it -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "mcgregor" <mcgregor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2AFD837D-C643-4CDF-B196-8047846DFD1F@microsoft.com... > ...

I cannot enter data in my Excel 2000 spreadsheet
Good afternoon dear members of the microsoft.public.excel.misc newsgroup. I need Your kindly help. I cannot enter data in my Excel 2000 document for one or other reason. I just clic on any of the spreasheet cells and type for word but it does not work. Any idea ? Many Thanks. Octavio Ovidio What else is going on? Are you using VBA code on the back side? Are there any Excel alert boxes open behind your main application window? Please provide more information. Alex >-----Original Message----- >Good afternoon dear members of the microsoft.public.excel.misc newsgroup. I >nee...

Without TO in the Microsoft Outlook 2003, No TO
I have a problem with Microsoft Outlook 2003 SP1, I will try to explain, during the last month when I send a mensangem no problem in sending, but, when I go to in the Sent Itens not appear the TO I open the messagem is without the TO, is very stranger. Sometimes when I insert an e-mail in the CC other person receives with as BCC Have you seem this problem? Do you know some solutions? Thanks, Eduardo Pereira Try posting in a group for your native language. Your post makes no sense in the US English Outlook group. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to k...

UK Postcode mapping MS Excel
Hi, I am trying to plot UK postcodes on a map in Excel (2000) using the MS Map function. When I select the list of postcodes as the data i get the following error message: "You must include a column of geographic data in your data". As far as I am aware Postcodes are geographic data, so why does this error occur? Could it be because I am selecting the whole Postcode instead of the first 2 letters. If so, how can I select the first 2 letters without going through the whole list and deleting individual characters from each postcode manually? Many Thanks for your help Ravi. Ravi ...

Lotus macro i need to convert to Excel
I have this macro from lotus i need to convert to excel or write a macro like this in excel. Any help would be appreciated ZERO {GOTO}a:c126~ {FOR a:ad7;1;3200;1;enter} {GOTO}a:D126~ {FOR a:ae7;1;3200;1;erase} {GOTO}a:f1~ {EDIT-REPLACE-ALL "2009";text;"2010";a:c1..a:n3050} {GOTO}b:c126~ {FOR b:ad7;1;3200;1;enter} {GOTO}b:D126~ {FOR b:ae7;1;3200;1;erase} {GOTO}b:f1~ {EDIT-REPLACE-ALL "2009";text;"2010";b:c1..b:n3050} {GOTO}c:c6~ {FOR c:ad7;1;3200;1;enter} {GOTO}c:D6~ {FOR c:ae7;1;3200;1;erase} {GOTO}c:...

Banding when printing Gradients in Excel 2007
I use complex spreadsheets with macros to report company sales data. The reports were created in Excel 2002. When I print the charts from 2002, they print fine... text is crisp and gradients are gradients. When I print the same charts in Excel 2007, the gradients don't print. Rather I get a series of four distinct color bands. The lines and text are also not crisp but rather jagged. We use a color "powerhouse" laser printer -- Gestener aka Ricoh (too many copies to print on an inkjet). Has anyone had this problem? Anyone know of a fix? ...

Copy a graph within a workbook in Excel 2007
I have an user who is trying to copy a graph and data onto a new worksheet in a workbook. The problem is that the graph points back to the original worksheet and we need it to point to the new one. Does anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this? I can send a sample workbook to anyone who would like to see what is happening. I was unable to replicate the users problem until he sent me an example. Just to hold off those who say use Move or Copy function, this only works when copying to a new workbook and not within a workbook. If the chart is embedded on the sheet with the data, it...

Data link properties / ODBC Excel driver login failed
When trying to perform a mail merge, after selecting my excel spreadsheet for names and addresses, I get a Data Link Properties window that opens. It has provider, connection, advanced, and all tabs. When I click OK I get ODBC Excel driver login failed. Could not find installable ISAM. Clicking OK does nothing clicking cancel tries to bring up the spreadsheet. This only happens on this workstation. All workstations are XP with Office XP with latest service packs. hi. ISAM (Indexed Sequential Access Method) is a file management system developed at IBM that allows records to be accessed...

Sharing a workbook in excel 2007
I have a workbook that i have created in excel 2007 with macros. I need to allow sharing now. I understand macros can not be viewed or edited which is fine. When I click on share workbook, it says the file needs to be saved and I click on ok, then I get a message that says the file is no longer shared and it never allows for sharing. Is there something I am missing? Do i have to delete the macros? Can someone please help as I need to allow two users in this workbook at the sametime and I have tried everything. Thank you! ...

can I forward mail without opening/viewing?
I know that sounds like a weird question, but my ISP invites users to forward spam to a special mailboxes in their never-ending (heh) effort to reduce the flow of the junk. With Outlook, I cannot figure out how to forward a message without its opening up for viewing. This is exactly what I don't want to do, because if it's html I really don't want to validate my email address. TIA Jason -- reverse my name in email address Jason, What you would have to do is create "rules" to do this, which you can set Outlook to if it receives a certain criteria, it can say FWD ...

CSV Dates Not Sorting
The CSV column that is in issue is filled with dates and nulls. It is an exported list from a software program we use. When you open the CSV file with Excel and it automatically converts, it sets the date fields type as General. Even after you change the field to a date from General, it still does not reconginize it as a date field. It gets !value errors when using =Year() and it does not sort by date it sorts alphanumerically. Current Workaround: If you change the filename extension to XLS so it doesn't auto convert the CSV, you have the option to do the "text to columns"...