Replacing cell with text

Hi, I want to know if it is possible to do the following:

Imagine I have a legend in which I say which text corresponds to whic
letters
ex:
John -> J
Harry -> H
Susan -> S

and what I want to do is when entering J, H or S in a cell, it wil
change to the corresponding text.

Is there a way of doing it without having to run a macro ?

Thanks in advance
Pedr

Go to Tools > AutoCorrect Options (XL2002) and insert new
entries.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

corresponds to which
>letters
>ex:
>John -> J
>Harry -> H
>Susan -> S
>
>and what I want to do is when entering J, H or S in a
cell, it will

http://www.ExcelForum.com/

>.

0
jason.morin (561)
11/24/2003 8:35:18 PM
Not very practical, but have a look at Tools>Autocorrect options. This will
apply throughout your Office applications, AFAIK.

--
Greeting from the Gulf Coast!
http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays
"PPereira" <PPereira.xf07a@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> Hi, I want to know if it is possible to do the following:
>
> Imagine I have a legend in which I say which text corresponds to which
> letters
> ex:
> John -> J
> Harry -> H
> Susan -> S
>
> and what I want to do is when entering J, H or S in a cell, it will
> change to the corresponding text.
>
> Is there a way of doing it without having to run a macro ?
>

> Thanks in advance
> Pedro

twodays (259)

How do I copying data from a cell on sheet to a diff cell/sheet
It data entry of scores on worksheet one that has to be automatically copied to worksheet 2. Once I entry the data on wksht 1 want it placed on wksht 2. I run tournaments, need all of the date on worksheet 1 but only some on worksheet 2 so I can sort it. When I set up my wksht 2 us the formula =wksht1!C4 on the first line. the on the second line input =wksht1!C11 then highlight the two and drag it down. It will copied what i inputed but won't calculte and change the cell referrence by 7 how do I get it to do that without having to manually change the number? To get ...

Generic adjacent cell reference
This should be simple but I am not finding it in the docs... I have a formula which I want should always refer to the adjacent cell. For instance The data is in A1 and I put the formula in A2 as =getURL(a1). So I need this to be completely generic so that I can paste it into hundreds of cells and always have it refer to the cell directly to the left regardless as to which column or row it is in. Thanks Paul Paul, For the cell directly to the left, use this in the cell, replacing the B1 with the actual cell address =OFFSET(B1,0,-1) For the cell above: =OFFSET(A2,-1,0) HTH, Bernie MS E...

Shade half a Cell
Hi Is it possible to shade half of a Cell? I have merged to cells togethe and now i am wanting to shade half of the Cell, BUT, i am wanting, i possible, to shade the Cell on an angel (for example - shade from top left to bottom right and have half gre and half white) Is this possibl -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi sparky........... You can't shade half a cell any way with the normal background coloration technique. You can however, for special cases, create a drawing object of the shape you want and color it and place it in a cell..........it would look similar....

Cell colour format according to date
If a cell value is equal to today I want the colour to change to red. I have entered =TODAY as a conditional formatting value but the cell colour does not change. The cell has been formatted as ddd dd mmm. Any ideas please. Thanks in advance for any help John Hi John Try the below 1. Select the cell/Range (say A1:A10). Please note that the cell reference A1 mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell will have a white background even after selection 2. From menu Format>Conditional Formatting> 3. For Condition1>Select 'Form...

Checkboxes don't work in merged cells

How to paste data to alternating cells down a column?
I am copying data from a column in one sheet where the entries run concurent down the column. When I paste to the new sheet I need to paste the information in every other cell down the column. What is the best way to do this, I have 3600 entries copied in groups of 25 to 72 different sheets, each sheet holds 50 entries? One extraction technique which should serve you well .. Assume you have source data in Sheet1, running in A2 down In another sheet, In any starting cell, say in B2: =IF(MOD(ROWS($1:1)-1,2)=1,"",OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$2,INT((ROWS($1:1)-1)/2),MOD(ROWS($1:1)-1,...

Merging cells in Excel 2003
I have Excel sheets created in Excel 2000. They have merged cells. When I load one of these sheets in Excel 2003 the merge cells box, on the format menu, is greyed out so it cannot be used. Merging cells on an Excel 2003 sheet presents no problem. How can I merge, or un-merge, cells from one of the Excel 2000 sheets in Excel 2003? I had no such problem going from Excel 2000 to 2003. Are you sure something else isn't involved? For instance if the workbook is shared you cannot unmerge cells. -- Jim "Bob" <rbandrews@mchsi.com> wrote in message news:5D6C3DC4-42BD-42...

replacing values in cells from a pre-designed table
I am working with an Excel Spreadsheet. I have, in column C, a different value on each row: 1.2 or 0.7 or 2.5, etc. In column D I want to have Excel automatically place, in each row, a new value based on a reference table I would create. For example If column C value is Then column D value on same row will b 0.7 9 0.8 9 0.9 9 1.0 9 ...

How do I get an automatic reminder with a certain cell value? #2
Is there a way to receive a pop-up comment or text box when a certain thing is typed into a cell? For example, each time I type "new instrument", I want a reminder to pop-up like a comment would that says "Call Property Accounting". Is there a function like this in Excel? Assuming data entry cells are col. A, right-click the worksheet tab, choose "View Code", copy in the code below, and press ALT+Q to close VBE. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) Dim sMsg As String With Target If .Column > 1 Then Exit Sub If .Count > 1 Then Exit...

Max characters in a cell work-around
I've had a couple people ask me about the maximum number of characters they can put in a cell because Excel was cutting off their entries. While researching the question, I found you can enter up to 32K characters into the formula, but only the first 1024 will display on the sheet. (Note: You can add some <Alt><Enter>'s to extend this a bit, but the text starts getting cut-off.) I came up with a work-around that I didn't see anywhere that I wanted to post in case someone in the future runs across this problem and wants to go beyond the 1024 limit. To get around the 1...

Is it possible to recover a file you accidentally replaced?
I was trying to save a file and the "prompt" said, would you like to replace and I accidentally hit yes....am I able to recover that file to it's original state. Unless you have a backup, that overwitten version is gone. May be recoverable using some expensive third-party file recovery application. Have no experience with these so cannot advise. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:29:03 -0800, "wbeav" <wbeav@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I was trying to save a file and the "prompt" said, would you like to replace >and I acci...

Text box placement in book layout
I'm trying (with emphasis on the word "trying") to typeset a book for a friend of mine. I've done it once before and it turned out well--but it was ten years ago and I used WordPerfect. The author has a text box that spans a couple of pages and I can't get the text box to behave. It seems to disappear in the "cracks" between the pages instead of flowing to the next page. I've tried everything I know and I still can't figure it out. What in the world can I do to get it to flow to the next page. I know I must be overlooking some simpl...

Worksheet Cell Reference
I have a reference to a cell in another worksheet, same workbook. When the value in the referenced cell is blank it returns a "0" value. However, I want the returned value to simply leave as a blank cell. Any advice? David Hi David Something like this : =IF(Sheet1!A1="","",Sheet1!A1) HTH John "DavidS" <DavidS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:71737C7E-5095-4E27-A70C-82CE3845C368@microsoft.com... >I have a reference to a cell in another worksheet, same workbook. When the > value in the referenced cell is blank it...

Alternatives to text boxes

Specific cell values
Hi everyone, i need to acheive the following but i'm not sure how to do it. i have a cell (K49), the cell needs to collect specific data from a range ( D7:D32 ) on the same worksheet. it needs to look in the range and if the cell value is CNC, then add the figure form the same row in column E. Example: D E F glass £200 26 August 05 metal £650 26 August 05 wood £300 26 August 05 CNC £1000 ...

printing cell contents
Hi, I need to print the worksheet but i want to print not the values but the formulas that each cell contains. Could you pls tell me how to do it? <Ctrl>+<`> That second key is a reverse apostrophe - found over the Tab key, and to the left of number 1. Then just print. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "Kostas" <arko@excite.com> wrote in message news:062501c37871$fba9e980$a001280a@phx.gbl... Hi, I need to print the works...

seperate text and number in the same cell
Hi, i have the following data : cell a2 : aa22 cell a3 : aab80 cell a4 : acd99 how can i but just the letters in cell b2 and the number in cell c2 such as b2 = aa c2=22 thank you all --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi Jed, Don't know if you always have exactly 2 digits like your example, but you can get a formula to separate them at http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting.htm#pcdigits is a solution posted by Tom Ogilvy which will split of digits from the right not limited to 2 digits.. If you need to get real fancy Harlan Grove posted some example E...

Format cell will not appear
Hello, I have a budget spreadsheet in E2k that I need to update. I can change al the numbers and formlas but if I select Format Cells the dialog box will not appear. I cannot find a single cell anyware in that workbook that works. The budget sheet has some grey area to the righ. I tweaked it last year and I can't remember what I did. Please help Tim Tim, Maybe the sheet is protected. Tools, Protection. If you see Unprotect sheet" it was. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Tim Marciniak" <t...

Calculating specifc byte positions in cells
Hi, Here is what I am trying to do: I have a spreadsheet that keeps track of employees vacation and sick time. The spreadsheet is formatted to column A is the employee name, columns B - AB are days of the month. I would like to have the manager be able to enter in the time off as either S8 or V8 (8 representing the number of hours off the employee had S = sick V = vacation). I would like Column AC to then calcuate the total sick hours and AD to calcuate the total of vacation hours. I played around with a few formulas but could not figure out a way to do it. Is there a way to have this d...

Flashing cell content in Excel
Hi Is it possible to make the contents of a cell flash intermittently? Is it possible to accomplish this using the cell formula itself? anticipated thanks Dennis. Yes, unfortunately. And no. You'll need an .OnTime macro to accomplish this. Check the archives for "cell blink" or "cell flash". http://google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*excel* In article <AU%Bb.2137$_5.413@news.randori.com>, "D.M.Beiso" <dmbeiso@gibnet.gi> wrote: > Is it possible to make the contents of a cell flash intermittently? > Is it possible to accompl...

Clear content cells with external link
I have a workbook with a lot of external links. What I'd like to do is to create a simple VBA code to find cells with external link, and then clear content them. Does anyone know how to do this ? Thanks Hey Diego, You have 5 posts to 2 different NG's asking this same question. Have some patience and please do not double, or quintuple, post. tim "diego" <porno_abis@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:06c201c3561c$7e0adce0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > > I have a workbook with a lot of external links. What I'd > like to do is to create a simple VBA code to fi...

Highlight the cell/row if particular name comes..
Hi, This is what I would like to achieve, There will be sheet full of address details and in that I want to highlight the cells with some colour if the particular list(i.e.list of 10 particular area names like Area1,Area2....Area10) of area names present along with the door # and Street name. The challenge is that the area names will be mixed with street name ect., in the same cell. I can guess that this is possible with macro but my knowledge in that is ZERO.. Pls help on this... Can you give us some examples of what your data looks like, and details of what columns you...

Plot empty cells as not plotted (leave gaps)
Under Tools/Options/Chart Menu I have set the "Plot empty cells as: Not plotted (leave gaps)as well as Plot visible cells only, however the chart still plots null values causing the automatic scaling to be impractical If you're using a formula that returns an empty string for missing values, change it to an NA()function. For example: instead of =IF(B9="","",B9) use =IF(B9="",NA(),B9) To hide the resulting #N/A errors on the worksheet, you can use conditional formatting. There are instructions on my web site: http://www.contextures.c...

How do i have a check display with any data entry in a cell
I am creating a simple spreadsheet for teachers and want to have only a check mark displayed regardless of what they type into a cell. Insert the check mark symbol you want from the Insert-Symbol menus int a reference cell for your formula. Then your formula in B2 would be. =IF(A2>0,$H$2,"") A2 is where the data is entered by the teachers, $H$2 is where yo inserted the check mark symbol for your reference. You can then dra this down for each row of data. Cheers, Stev -- Steve ----------------------------------------------------------------------- SteveG's Profile: ...

how do I get data from an array into one cell (comma delimited)
looking for a way to query an array 3 cells by 3 cells (they have numeric data only) and return a value in a seperate cell that has all the numbers in the array (comma delimited) thanks If C1 thru E3 contain: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 then: =C1 & "," & D1 &","& E1 &","& C2 &","& D2 &","& E2 &","& C3 &","& D3 &","& E3 will return: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 -- Gary's Student "bb" wrote: > looking for a way to query an array 3 cells by 3 cell...