rename excel 2k column

How do you rename a column in excel 2k?
0
anonymous (74722)

Kerry,

If you mean changing the header text from letters to something else, the
answer is no, you can't change the column (or row) headers.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"kerry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do you rename a column in excel 2k?

0
chip1 (1821)

Why does [group] appear after the filename in Excel 2003?
I upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2003 this morning. An Excel document I created yesterday in a shared network location that has never been touched by anyone but me is now opening with [Group] status. I need to activate Autofilter, but it is unavailable (greyed) on the Tools --> Filter menu. I also can't locate a definition for this setting or how to turn it off, nor do I have any idea why it is in this "group" mode. It is definitely not a shared workbook. Please help! You may have more than one sheets selected simoultaneously. Righclick a sheet tab and select ...

hyperlink to existing excel file
When I create a hyperlink to an existing excel file and then click on it, explorer opens to the folder that the file is in instead of the excel file opening. Just to test I pointed it to a word document and the doc file opened fine. How do I get a hyperlink to open the excel file? Thanks. Are you sure it isn't to the folder instead. Only way I can reproduce that is if I select the folder instead of the file when I create the hyperlink. As expected if I use a hyperlink to a particular file it will open.. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "purplehaz" <software@for.me> wrote i...

Show Excel in two separate instances/two monitors?
I've recently been upgraded to two monitors (one of the few things IT has done right around here!). But try as I might, I can't get two Excel (2003) workbooks to show in two separate instances so I can put one on each monitor! Any solutions? Ed Hi Ed, open 2 workbooks -- click the Maximize button (so you are in resize mode) --- drag a workbook by the titlebar to the second monitor... Warm Regards, Crystal * (: have an awesome day :) * MVP Access Remote Programming and Training strive4peace2006 at yahoo.com * Ed wrote: > I've recently been upgraded to t...

How can I asign a number value to a text line in Excel?
tI have a Backgammon Club with Internal Club Rankings that are in Text. I want my members to report their wins - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place - in tournaments to my web site . I would like them to imput: their nickname, date of tournament, tournament Room #, tournament points played for, and host of the tournament. I would further like the calculation to display any change in Ranking as a text cell. Additionally, I want to show for the member, how many more points are needed to get to the next levle and what that (Text)level is. If there is a "what if" for this please advise. Ri...

Plot area of embedded charts unexplainably shrinks in Excel 2003 S
I am working on a large spreadsheet full of numerical data. It contains several dozen bar and line graphs embedded across several worksheets. I have a decent understanding of Excel and Excel graphs but do not use VBA. The problem I have with Excel is that it sometimes – and unpredictably – (vertically) shrinks the plot areas of the embedded graphs. This can happen between opening the document and printing it. Other times, the plot area would shrink if I click on the plot area with my mouse, and then click off on to a cell in the same worksheet. The chart area remains the same siz...

Is there a way to setup excel to prompt for a backup copy upon ex.
I want to automatically create a backup onto a disk each time I exit program. "sonny" wrote: > It depends on which version of Excel as to how. It is also preferred that the content of you request not be typed in the Subject field. Please take advantage of the Message area, even for short inquiries. Thanks |:>) "sonny" wrote: > I am currently using 2000. Thanks "CyberTaz" wrote: > It depends on which version of Excel as to how. > > It is also preferred that the content of you request not be typed in the > Subject field. Ple...

Control can't be edited; it's bound to a replication system column 'TableName'.
I have an Access 2007 accdb database. It hast a table in it with field names TableName and FieldName and a bunch of others. This table has had a small number of records added to it (37) over the life of the database. Suddenly, the two fields TableName and FieldName cannot be edited. That is even if the table is open as a table and you try to type a new record. When you do that an error message is briefly displayed in the left hand end of the Access main window's status bar. For example if you try to input anything into the TableName field you will be blocked and you will briefl...

Sounds with Excel
Hello Friends Is it possible and how can I do this task with ExcelXp: If the value of cell A1 on "my worksheet" in "my workbook" is "1"-play any sound, If cell A1 is empty-don't play sound. For the next cell on the same sheet B1: if B1=1- play sound different than the sound for the cell A1, if B1 is empty-don't play sound. If both cells A1=1 AND B1=1 play sound different than the sounds for cell A1 and cell B1. I'm running WindowsXP. Thank you. Hi Tim have a look at http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip87.htm Frank Tim wrote: > Hello Friends...

Preventing Column Cell Values from Printing
I have a summary worksheet with several columns of information. There is one particular column (E25:F39) where I don't always want to print the values. Is there some simple way to toggle this column's values on and off just before hitting the print command? I was thinking of using an adjacent tick box outside the print area, which when ticked would print the column values, and vice-versa. I'm looking for a formula that would examine the tick box, and if the tick (letter 'a' in Marlett font) is not present (i.e. cell value = ""), then the values in column (E25:...

How do I force all capital in a column of lower case names?
I read the help, but it doesn't tell me where to enter the formula. If you do not have a blank column next to the mentioned column, then insert one. Enter the formula in a cell adjacent to the cell you want to change, and copy down. Then copy this column, go to the original column, select a cel, right click and click on Paste Special, tick values. Delete the helper column. Iow, with you lower case data in Column E, click on Column F, if not empty, and insert a column. F is then an empty column. Say your data starts in E2, then in F2 enter =UPPER(E2). Move cursor to the botto...

How to find a value with multi-column, multi-record list
I have a spreadsheet with $costs arranged according to values in both rows and columns. How do I create drop down lists for both the rows and columns and then return the cell value? eg if I have 5 rows (2-6) and 6 columns (B-G) with costs arranged in each cell within this group how do I create drop downs for each selection, 2-6 and B-G, and return the value to a selected cell. In a typical table of this nature there would be descriptive row and column headers. To do a lookup on this table you would then look for the intersection of a specific row header and a specific column ...

Column Width Behavior
I use pivot tables alot - and I am working with a pivot table where I've set the column width to 9. When I pivot new information in, the column width automatically adjusts to fit, then I have to go and reset the columns back to 9. Is there anyway to override this "adust to fit" behavior and just let the pivot table fit as much text as it can into the column width I specify? Kirk, Unselect the 'Autoformat Table' option in the Options section of the Pivot Table. HTH, Gary Brown "Kirk P." wrote: > I use pivot tables alot - and I am working with a pi...

display countdown timer in Excel
I'd like to display (in Excel 2003) a countdown timer in a worksheet (either in a cell or a textbox or other control). I want the user to be able to see the clock tick down from say 20 seconds to 0 in one second increments (or decrements, I guess). Is there a function that will do this? If this is somethingVBA can handle better, I can post this question in the programming newsgroup. Thanks, Bert It has to be done through VBA. You could write code or have someone do it for you. That someone would be Bob Phillips who has a free downlaodable workbook with a Timer setup. http://...

Excel 2000
Hi! *First off:* I have created a spreadsheet that has a dynamic range an data validation. *Next:* i know i can add options to the 'dynamic range' and my dro down menu will add the option to its list. *Problem:* How can I make it so the user can add data into th validated data list/drop down menu rather than having the user addin it into the dynamic range? *Example:*this drop down menu indicates how often a system is updated weekly, monthly, etc. etc... i don't want to restrict it, so i want t make it so they can indicate their own time on how often those update occur. TIA -...

"Changed by" Column is empty
Outlook 2003/Exchange 2000 Hi, in my mailbox, the "Changed by" column remains empty throughout all folders. When I change to my Team Mailbox, the "Changed by" column has the desired information. Even when I move a mail from the Team Mailbox to my mailbox, the "Changed by" column remains empty. Is this a bug or I am doing something wrong. Thank you very much. Christoph ...

Preventing Excel files from being moved or deleted
What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an Excel file on a network? This is more of an network operating system setting question. I would think putting the file on a share that the users only had readonly access would be enough. But this would mean that the users could still copy (not move) the file. And they wouldn't be able to update the workbook. bg500 wrote: > > What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an > Excel file on a network? -- Dave Peterson All explained in Start>Help and Support "p...

Excel or Access?
I have server data that is about 200-300 rows/records and includes abou 25 columns/fields. Coworkers have suggested that this data shoul reside in a database, such as Access, and then import/link to it fro Excel for reporting purposes. Does anyone have a recommendation/comment/suggestion on this? I a comfortable using Excel as my "database" for this data that will no grow much larger than it already is, and is easier for me to perfor the reporting in Excel simply on another sheet. Thanks! Ric -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Why fix what's not broken? ...

Automatic open locked excel file through access control
We know,Excel has prompt password to open it files. Is it possible to create a code that can supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we open the excel file through our access control in a form, the excel files can be opened automatically.But when the excel files opened from its default icon,it will prompt a password first. On Jul 10, 8:43 pm, "shiro" <s...@play.com> wrote: > We know,Excel has prompt password > to open it files. > Is it possible to create a code that can > supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we > open the excel file throu...

What defines an advanced level of Excel?
I was wondering if somebody could help me with this. I was looking at applying for an office assitant job and it said I needed an advanced level of Excel. I have been using Excel for some time now, although I recently decided to do a short course starting from the basics to help identify what I may be missing in my knowledge. We didn't delve into complex formulars but covered all our basics and gave our selves the background knowledge to explor further. I am all over the place, such as inputing data, retreiving data from sources such as SQL server, text files and so on. Formatt...

Templates for Excel 2003
Hey y'all, Is the only way to get templates now through Office On Line rather than a direct download that works on my PC? I don't want anything to do with Office On Line. I don't want to have to download 2 Active X scripts just to get a template. I tried downloading one directly, but I got a message that indicated that I needed the Active X crap. Bah! TIA, Mike W. ...

problem while using excel
hi, exel sheet displaying page number in background in each and every cell of my sheet in background And displaying message first while opening the sheet as "margins doesn't fit can you please help me with this issue?? View > Normal -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200786 While i am using excel, when i try to copy and paste words, the program becomes very sluggish. very laggy and slow. how do i resolve this? You probably have a lot of formulae, go to TOOLS>OPTIONS>CALCULATION and change it to manual, you can then calculate the workbook by pressing F9, take a look ...

Weed out words using Excel??
Is there a way to automatically isolate an appearance of a word in list of words, eg I have a full dictionary of words, and I want to end up wit a list where the word (for example) "log" appears. So if the big lis contains: logarithm chair table catalogue (each on a sepearte line) The list I would want would be: logarithm catalogue (leaving out the others) Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Have a look at Data / Filter / Autofilter. Andy. PS I'd love to know where you got your text file from!! "sensible >" <<sensible.148ne7@exc...

Potential Identity loss issue with hidden email addresses in Excel!
I received a spreadsheet attachment yesterday and found a mailto:(my address) embedded in a cell under a text string. It was evident in a tooltip that appeared when cell was hovered-over. I told the sender who now says that many of her spreadsheets - used to handle group memberships - have such hidden addresses. The sheet I received was a reworking in Excel (not sure which version) of one of mine that was from a fresh, new OpenOffice spreadsheet I had emailed earlier. No sign of the embedding in my OO 'sheet, whether viewed in OO or in Excel 2000. It seems to have crept in on her mach...

Fix poor image quality when pasting from excel to powerpoint?
How do I get around the poor image quality when pasting from excel to powerpoint? EXCEL 2007 Use Paste as Picture. If you check out:- http://www.pierrefondes.com/ - item number 74 all of these items were copied as above and quality is fine. If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "Keith" wrote: > How do I get around the poor image quality when pasting from excel to > powerpoint? In my experience, the way to fix poor image quality in Office 2007 is to reinstall and use Office 2003. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier...

Cells with same text but excel think it's different?
I have two cells with exacely the same text. but excel think it's different and not returning any value for my vlookup.. I used if statement and the result is showing the 2 cells are different. I checked format, space and even '. can someone please help? thanks. Do you have an 0 instead of a O? (Number zero, letter O) -- Regards Andy Wiggins www.BygSoftware.com Home of "Save and BackUp", "The Excel Auditor" and "Byg Tools for VBA" "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:84F83A62-88D7-4292-9B2E-B8F34B737B48@mic...