Removing Links in a workbook (Excel 97)

The below is probably not put in the best way. Apologies in advance.

I created a new workbook and copied into it worksheets from a main workbook
one at a time to adapt the workbook for a slightly different purpose (by
right-clicking on a worksheet then going 'copy' then to 'new book'). I have
since spent a long time adapting it. However, it keeps coming up with the
warning that it has links to the original main workbook and do I want to
update them. However, I do want to make the new workbook indepedent. So I:
i) remove / change any 'Names' references to the new workbook (under
insert...names...define)
ii) update any cells with new references.
However, it still says the workbook has links but I really want to remove
them. I tried to track down the problem worksheet by moving the workbook
into a new excel file and have found the worksheet which contains the link
to the original workbook rather than the workbook from which I've copied the
worksheet. So, I save the workbook, then to track down the link even further
I start selecting groups of cells and deleting them to find the problem
cells. (this is what I did to track the cells with references which were
well hidden - I didnt make the original.) However now I'm at a stage where
if you delete every cell in the workbook the link is still shown in the
edit...links option. I double checked all the 'Names' had been altered so to
not link with the original workbook but I don't know now where to look. Any
ideas?

btw - I think I could have made life easier by just copying the file and
then renaming it - and then making changes - I think the links would not be
present. However, I have spent so long making updates to the copy I made
that I would like to solve the problem the above way if possible.

Thanks in anticipation

0
Chris

Try downloading Bill Manvilles free Findlink.xla addin, and that should sort you
out:-

http://www.bmsltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

--
Regards
                  Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 00/02/03

"Chris" <a@b.com> wrote in message news:btpfir$gli$1@sparta.btinternet.com...
> The below is probably not put in the best way. Apologies in advance.
>
> I created a new workbook and copied into it worksheets from a main workbook
> one at a time to adapt the workbook for a slightly different purpose (by
> right-clicking on a worksheet then going 'copy' then to 'new book'). I have
> since spent a long time adapting it. However, it keeps coming up with the
> warning that it has links to the original main workbook and do I want to
> update them. However, I do want to make the new workbook indepedent. So I:
> i) remove / change any 'Names' references to the new workbook (under
> insert...names...define)
> ii) update any cells with new references.
> However, it still says the workbook has links but I really want to remove
> them. I tried to track down the problem worksheet by moving the workbook
> into a new excel file and have found the worksheet which contains the link
> to the original workbook rather than the workbook from which I've copied the
> worksheet. So, I save the workbook, then to track down the link even further
> I start selecting groups of cells and deleting them to find the problem
> cells. (this is what I did to track the cells with references which were
> well hidden - I didnt make the original.) However now I'm at a stage where
> if you delete every cell in the workbook the link is still shown in the
> edit...links option. I double checked all the 'Names' had been altered so to
> not link with the original workbook but I don't know now where to look. Any
> ideas?
>
> btw - I think I could have made life easier by just copying the file and
> then renaming it - and then making changes - I think the links would not be
> present. However, I have spent so long making updates to the copy I made
> that I would like to solve the problem the above way if possible.
>
> Thanks in anticipation

---

ken.wright (2489)

Access 97 can't resize database window

How do I create a sample in Excel?

Excel 97 Win XP calc problem?

How to link with an Access DB
Hi, I have an Acces DB with many tables. I need to choose the name of a customer in a cell of Excel. For example, in acces I have this tables: Table1 Id Name Last Name City I need to choose the last name from a drop down menu in a spreadsheet and then in other cell I need to put all the data regarding the last name that I choose. I hope to be exaustive, and sorry for my english. :-) Many Thanks Stefano ...

Date display in Excel

Excel and some disappeared sheets

Table link documentation

Access 97/2000/2003 comparisons

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files

Outlook 2003

Removing random extra spaces
I have a column for comments there are 900 rows (A1:A900) this data is being imported from another source and some users have extra spaces that I want to remove and place in (B1:B900)...I also want to format it so that it is converted from all caps to all lowercase. For example: A1 reads "INT IN A FREE QUOTE ON 50000 CASH FOR DEBT CONSOLIDATION" B2 reads "int in a free quote on 50000 cash for debt consolidation" -- jermsalerms ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jermsalerms's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/mem...

Opening Multiple Web Links in a Column

Removing spaces from text #4
I'm in excel and i have a bunch of text data that has an extra space at the end of the text on the right hand side for each cell. Is there any easy way to remove this space? Use the TRIM() function. -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "lj" <lj@spu.edu> wrote in message news:1144876429.220961.309040@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > I'm in excel and i have a bunch of text data that has an extra space at > the end of the text on the right hand side for each cell. Is there any > easy way to remove this space? > I tried using that function but the results st...

Excel error 1706

Remove headers in Outlook 2003?
I have the weirdest problem, From certain people that send me e-maols, the entire header is shown, all the technical gobbleygook that I really don't need to see and it causes the message to be 1) long ans 2) hard to read through all the techno-stuff. Most people that send me e-mail, I just get the message, am wondering what I need to do? Am I missing a setting in Outlook "03? (For some backround info-actually have Office '07 but had to remove it and install Office '03 for a few weeks due to a technical issue on my part) Any help is appreciated, Jeff "Jeff"...

Mail merge from excel
I am trying to merge a list of names from excel into publisher. When using the mail merge wizard it wont let me load the names all it says is f1 and f2. what am I doing wrong? any help is greatly appreciated. ...

Excel Jululian 04-24-10
Good morning please help i have a lists of names and i want to separate each in a colum like You Light Up My Life197711 You Light Up My Life (in one colum "A") 1977 (in one colum "B") 1 (in one colum "C") 1 (in one colum "E") regards First many thanks on your reply the text are different in length regards "מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן" wrote: > 'Data' > 'Text to Columns' > 'Next' > mark/un-mark the vertical separators as > shown in the picture > 'Finish' >...