Removing all duplicate records except one copy

Hello,

I have combined data from several sheets. The data is of product
information that is sold in a chain of shops. I am trying to compile a
master list of all products sold across the chain. In column A is the
product NUMBER, in column B is the supplier number for that product.
e.g.:

________Column  A_________Column  B

Row 1___1000____________20
Row 2___1000 ___________ 20
Row 3___2000____________30
Row 4___2000____________20
Row 5___3000____________30
Row 6___3000____________30
Row 7___3000____________20

REQUIRED RESULT:

________Column  A_________Column  B

Row 1___1000____________20
Row 2___2000____________30
Row 3___2000____________20
Row 4___3000____________30
Row 5___3000____________20

n.b. there are other columns of dat but I want the comparison for
duplicates to ignore them (if possible). I have tried using ADVANCED
FILTERS but this gets rid of ALL records that are duplicate and keeps
unique ones only!

Any help is a lifesaver as project deadline for FRIDAY 8th JULY!!!!!

Regards

Adam

--
adam a
adam a's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24873

Good afternoon Adam a

The code listed below will do the trick for you.  It will hide all rows
containing duplicate information, so you don't lose the information - it
just removes it from view.  However feel free to alter it to delete the
rows completely if you wish.

Sub HideDuplicate()
On Error Resume Next
Set UsrRng = Selection
For Each UsrCel In UsrRng
Dupd = UsrCel.Address
Dupd = UsrRng.Find(What:=UsrCel, After:=UsrCel, LookIn:=xlValues, _
LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
MatchCase:=False).Address
If Dupd <> UsrCel.Address Then UsrCel.EntireRow.Hidden = True
Next UsrCel
End Sub

To use this highlight just one column that contains the duplicate
information and then run the macro.

HTH

DominicB

--
dominicb
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18932

introduce a top row as header row
use data=filter=advancefilter -unique values

the creiteria range may be left blank or the same as database

adam a <adam.a.1rlema_1120392301.8427@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:adam.a.1rlema_1120392301.8427@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Hello,
>
> I have combined data from several sheets. The data is of product
> information that is sold in a chain of shops. I am trying to compile a
> master list of all products sold across the chain. In column A is the
> product NUMBER, in column B is the supplier number for that product.
> e.g.:
>

> ________Column  A_________Column  B
>
> Row 1___1000____________20
> Row 2___1000 ___________ 20
> Row 3___2000____________30
> Row 4___2000____________20
> Row 5___3000____________30
> Row 6___3000____________30
> Row 7___3000____________20
>
> REQUIRED RESULT:
>
> ________Column  A_________Column  B
>
> Row 1___1000____________20
> Row 2___2000____________30
> Row 3___2000____________20
> Row 4___3000____________30
> Row 5___3000____________20
>

> n.b. there are other columns of dat but I want the comparison for
> duplicates to ignore them (if possible). I have tried using ADVANCED
> FILTERS but this gets rid of ALL records that are duplicate and keeps
> unique ones only!
>
> Any help is a lifesaver as project deadline for FRIDAY 8th JULY!!!!!
>
> Regards
>
> Adam
>

> --
> adam a
> adam a's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24873
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=384161

What happens if you select column A first (or make the list range just column
A)?

adam a wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have combined data from several sheets. The data is of product
> information that is sold in a chain of shops. I am trying to compile a
> master list of all products sold across the chain. In column A is the
> product NUMBER, in column B is the supplier number for that product.
> e.g.:
>
> ________Column  A_________Column  B
>
> Row 1___1000____________20
> Row 2___1000 ___________ 20
> Row 3___2000____________30
> Row 4___2000____________20
> Row 5___3000____________30
> Row 6___3000____________30
> Row 7___3000____________20
>
> REQUIRED RESULT:
>
> ________Column  A_________Column  B
>
> Row 1___1000____________20
> Row 2___2000____________30
> Row 3___2000____________20
> Row 4___3000____________30
> Row 5___3000____________20
>
> n.b. there are other columns of dat but I want the comparison for
> duplicates to ignore them (if possible). I have tried using ADVANCED
> FILTERS but this gets rid of ALL records that are duplicate and keeps
> unique ones only!
>
> Any help is a lifesaver as project deadline for FRIDAY 8th JULY!!!!!
>
> Regards
>
> Adam
>
> --
> adam a
> adam a's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24873
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=384161

--

Dave Peterson
0

"adam a" <adam.a.1rlema_1120392301.8427@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:adam.a.1rlema_1120392301.8427@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Hello,
>
> I have combined data from several sheets. The data is of product
> information that is sold in a chain of shops. I am trying to compile a
> master list of all products sold across the chain. In column A is the
> product NUMBER, in column B is the supplier number for that product.
> e.g.:
>

> ________Column  A_________Column  B
>
> Row 1___1000____________20
> Row 2___1000 ___________ 20
> Row 3___2000____________30
> Row 4___2000____________20
> Row 5___3000____________30
> Row 6___3000____________30
> Row 7___3000____________20
>
> REQUIRED RESULT:
>
> ________Column  A_________Column  B
>
> Row 1___1000____________20
> Row 2___2000____________30
> Row 3___2000____________20
> Row 4___3000____________30
> Row 5___3000____________20
>

> n.b. there are other columns of dat but I want the comparison for
> duplicates to ignore them (if possible). I have tried using ADVANCED
> FILTERS but this gets rid of ALL records that are duplicate and keeps
> unique ones only!
>
> Any help is a lifesaver as project deadline for FRIDAY 8th JULY!!!!!
>
> Regards
>
> Adam
>

> --
> adam a
> adam a's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24873
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=384161

0
jmay (696)
7/3/2005 1:04:54 PM
Hi, Adam. Here are several ways to deal with duplicates...
http://www.officearticles.com/excel/dealing_with_duplicate_records_in_microsoft_excel.htm

*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"adam a" <adam.a.1rlema_1120392301.8427@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:adam.a.1rlema_1120392301.8427@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Hello,
>
> I have combined data from several sheets. The data is of product
> information that is sold in a chain of shops. I am trying to compile a
> master list of all products sold across the chain. In column A is the
> product NUMBER, in column B is the supplier number for that product.
> e.g.:
>

> ________Column  A_________Column  B
>
> Row 1___1000____________20
> Row 2___1000 ___________ 20
> Row 3___2000____________30
> Row 4___2000____________20
> Row 5___3000____________30
> Row 6___3000____________30
> Row 7___3000____________20
>
> REQUIRED RESULT:
>
> ________Column  A_________Column  B
>
> Row 1___1000____________20
> Row 2___2000____________30
> Row 3___2000____________20
> Row 4___3000____________30
> Row 5___3000____________20
>

> n.b. there are other columns of dat but I want the comparison for
> duplicates to ignore them (if possible). I have tried using ADVANCED
> FILTERS but this gets rid of ALL records that are duplicate and keeps
> unique ones only!
>
> Any help is a lifesaver as project deadline for FRIDAY 8th JULY!!!!!
>
> Regards
>
> Adam
>

> --
> adam a
> adam a's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24873
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=384161

0
ng1 (1444)
7/3/2005 1:39:16 PM
Advanced filter should work fine if you select columns A and B when you
apply the filter

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"adam a" <adam.a.1rlema_1120392301.8427@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:adam.a.1rlema_1120392301.8427@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Hello,
>
> I have combined data from several sheets. The data is of product
> information that is sold in a chain of shops. I am trying to compile a
> master list of all products sold across the chain. In column A is the
> product NUMBER, in column B is the supplier number for that product.
> e.g.:
>

> ________Column  A_________Column  B
>
> Row 1___1000____________20
> Row 2___1000 ___________ 20
> Row 3___2000____________30
> Row 4___2000____________20
> Row 5___3000____________30
> Row 6___3000____________30
> Row 7___3000____________20
>
> REQUIRED RESULT:
>
> ________Column  A_________Column  B
>
> Row 1___1000____________20
> Row 2___2000____________30
> Row 3___2000____________20
> Row 4___3000____________30
> Row 5___3000____________20
>

> n.b. there are other columns of dat but I want the comparison for
> duplicates to ignore them (if possible). I have tried using ADVANCED
> FILTERS but this gets rid of ALL records that are duplicate and keeps
> unique ones only!
>
> Any help is a lifesaver as project deadline for FRIDAY 8th JULY!!!!!
>
> Regards
>
> Adam
>

> --
> adam a
> adam a's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24873
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=384161

0
twogilvy (1078)
7/3/2005 4:37:48 PM
Oops.  I didn't see the column B stuff.

sorry.

--

Dave Peterson
0

--
woodlot
woodlot4's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2661

Emails removed from outlook when moving between machines with outlook 2000 and 2007
Afternoon, Very strange issue, My PC uses office 2007 and everything is great, i had to log on to another users machine to resolve a problem and opened outlook (logged on as me) and configured the profile for me so i could check my mail as i was going to be there a while, When outlook 2000 opened it said there was a problem with the default view with an ok button, so i clicked it, it opened the mailbox and then started removing all the emails in my inbox. I thought this to be very strange i never had a problem like that before with 2000 before i upgraded and just chalked it dow...

duplicate message
Hi All, Our server had a problem after installed exchange SP2 and turn on the IMF Somebody received duplicate email 30 times but the sender only sent out once This problem happen to many receiver or all user. But as the same mail, this isn't happen to my email and outside email account. I'm using Microsoft Outlook 2003 and Small Business Server 2003 Please help me, thanks a lot. Ken What type of account is configured in Outlook program. Vijay "Ken" <goukilee@yahoo.com.hk> wrote in message news:ucXOocrDHHA.1016@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi All, > > Ou...

Inconsistent outgoing messages to one domain
Greetings. Since we've installed SP2 on Microsoft Exchange 2003, we are having problems emailing a particular domain. If I use the Message Tracking Tool to monitor the email status we get two results. The first is, the last line has "This message transferred to <server name> through SMTP (1031). The other result is, "This message transferred to through SMTP (The server name is missing). If the message has the server name in it, the message is being sent and recieved, but if the line doesn't have the server name the message may or may not be delivered. Also, if we...

Enterprise Library Instrumentation and microsoft exception handling block.
hi all i have used microsoft's exception handling block for publishing exception to event viewer. but i am getting very different error when exception occured on production. error source displayed as "Enterprise Library Instrumentation" ad error discription varies but mainly like "Failed to create instances of performance counter 'Cache Total Turnover Rate' - The requested Performance Counter is not a custom counter, it has to be initialized as ReadOnly.." can anyone shed some light on it? thanks in advnace. ...

Text is added as attachment after copy and paste
Hi I am using outlook 2000 and every time I want to copy and paste text from somewhere else (e.g. browser), it adds the content as an html-page-attachment to my new mail. I just want to have it added as simple text in the mail-body regards R. Save the text in notepad or something and then Insert the file - but check the button so it inserts it as text, not just as an attachment ;-) r@gnar.de wrote: > Hi > > I am using outlook 2000 and every time I want to copy and paste text > from somewhere else (e.g. browser), it adds the content as an > html-page-attachment to my new ...

How to Prevent Duplicate Data from inputing using input application?
Hello microsoft.public.excel.charting my name is Zig I am trying hard to find out how I can use a input application to input data into a specified excel sheet. I have learned how to input the data into the excel sheet although I need to prevent the inputs from being duplicated. I have used a validating solver to prevent duplicate entries but it only works if you type the text into the sheet. I am unable to get the input application to follow the validation rule. Is there a way that I can use a input application to prevent duplicate entries into the excel sheets and if duplicate data is true ca...

.NET 2.0 XML Validation
I am wondering if I am alone with this problem. Using VS 2005, I must validate an XML file via a Schema and it works well. When I get the schema exception and check the LineNumber and LinePosition properties, they are always set to 0 <=== Here are 2 ways I used to validate the XML always getting LineNumber and LinePosition = 0. Any hints would be greatly appreciated. ================================================================== XmlReaderSettings settings = new XmlReaderSettings(); settings.IgnoreWhitespace = false; settings.Schemas.A...

exporting Outlook Express on one PC...
to Outlook on a PC Tablet How does one go about exporting then importing? Do you need a separate program to do this? You must follow instructions for transferring from one installation of OE to the other first. Only then can you import into Outlook. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Paul Currie" <pwc@sasktel.net> wrote in message news:126ces4t34q6f30@corp.supernews.com... > to Outlook on a PC Tablet > How does one go about exporting then importing? Do you need a separate > program to do this? ...

Two domains and two users
(1) I have domain A and domain B (2) I have user A in domain A and user A in domain B (basically same user name but created at different time - different SIDS) (3) I want to remove domain A but copy user A SID info into user A of domain B - basically merge the SID of two accounts into domain B Question: ======= (1) How do I merge two accounts together into one account - merge SIDS of two accounts into one account? I HAVE NO Option such as delete destination account and recreate so PLEASE do not provide me that alternative or explanation - even if it is the easiest. Thank you k...

Duplicate Importance columns displayed.
I have a client using Outlook 2002 and th edisplay shows two Importance columns. Trying to remove one results in an outlib.dll error. Anyone ever see this before? Thanks ...

- Duplicate emails from pop3 downloads
I do a pop3 download from my ISP and receive duplicate emails in Outlook 2003. I don't want to delete my messages from the server (and shouldn't have to) because I consider them to be a backup safety net. Everything worked fine in Outlook 2000, but since I switched to 2003 I can't get rid of this problem. Any good answers out there? persads schrieb: > I do a pop3 download from my ISP and receive duplicate emails in Outlook > 2003. I don't want to delete my messages from the server (and shouldn't > have to) because I consider them to be a backup safet...

View one record at a time in a report.
I am new to access. I created a report from a table using the wizard. When I view the report, I only want to see one given record at a time - not all records. How do I do this? Thank you Ron The easiest way is to start from a form, where you bring up the record you want to see. Then put a command button on the form, to open the report to just that one record. Here's the code you need for the command button: Print the record in the form at: http://allenbrowne.com/casu-15.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne...

Formula for current month minus one = Quarter number in a macro.
I have a macro that does several things. The last step should be to save the file to a network drive with a name and quarter number appended to it. The file save command I have got is: - ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= _ "Y:\Skip Register\Quarterly Charging Period ?", FileFormat:=xlExcel9795, _ Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, CreateBackup:=False The ? in the file name should be substituted by the formula as described below. The macro is to be run in the month following a quarter (i.e. run macro in April to get Quar...

check double records in database
Hey, I'm looking for a code to know if a row with primarty key ticker is already in my table DDM. I use the following code but there seem som problems. It says the variable TextTicker.Text is not defined. Can someone help me out? Thx s_Path = ActiveWorkbook.Path s_Path = s_Path & "\Thesis.mdb" Set DB = DAO.OpenDatabase(s_Path) s_SQL = "SELECT Ticker & FROM DDM " _ & "WHERE Ticker = ' & Me.TextTicker & " ';" If s_SQL = TextTicker.Text Then MsgBox "Found" Else MsgBox "Not found" GoT...

how do I set up an annual calendar on one worksheet
I need a tempplate to set up on one worksheet an annual calendar with days of the week, months and date numbers. I havae to set up a calendar that has recurring dates e.g. evry 3rd Weds in Feb, 4th Tues in may etc ANy help would be appreciated on all or some of the above start here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/results.aspx?Scope=TC&Query=calendar -- Gary''s Student "Ian Dee" wrote: > I need a tempplate to set up on one worksheet an annual calendar with days of > the week, months and date numbers. > I havae to set up a calendar that has recurring ...

Money 2004
For some reason my transactions are being categorized but not tracked in one account. It's an AEX account which I use for most of my purchases. I have no idea what I did, but now, when I enter a transaction with category, etc...my thermometer doesn't register the additional transaction and it doesn't show in my budget! When I enter the same transaction in any other account, it shows. Anyone know how to fix this? It was working fine, but I must've done something. Appreciate any response. Phil Roos Go figure...after searching for hours for a solution...me typing this po...

HELP: Outlook downloads 3,4, now 5 copies of each email
I make Outlook 2000 use a Outlook.pst file on a separate hard disk instead of the usual C:\Documents & Settings\ folder. Everything is fine. I also TICK "Leave copy of message on server" so I always have a backup copy. Now when i format my PC and reinstall Windows & Outlook, I point to my D:\Outlook.pst and it starts using it. Then all of a sudden it starts downloading ALL my emails again. If I format my PC once again and reinstall Windows & Outlook, then Outlook starts downloading ALL my emails TWICE (there's 2 copies of each email downloaded, plus the copy I...

Automatically fill down formulas when adding a record
I have a data entry sheet which receives one record per row. Some of th columns contain calculated fields and will be hidden. Is there a way t have the formulas automatically fill down when new records are added Thank you -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way is to use Excels built-in dataform. data>form -- John johnf 202 at hotmail dot com "steveski >" <<steveski.11dx8c@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:steveski.11dx8c@excelforum-nospam.com... | I have a data entry sheet which receives one record per row. Some of the | columns con...

How to change left bottom note that tell number records found?
Hi, At the left bottom corner of Exel 2003 spreadsheet, a display note 'Ready' remains as it is, though I have filtered the items using the filter command, the note usually displays number of records found. How to return back the display note 'number of records found' in Excel 2003 spreadsheet? -- Thank you, Cpviv If you have any formulas that read these filtered records, you will typically not be able to view the # of records found. If you go to Tool - Options - Calculation and change to Manual, you would be able to view # of records. Beware, as this will not au...

displaying a table on a form so that we can insert a new record at any place rather that at the end
how can i display the table on a form so that the user is able to insert a new record not only in the last, but also in any place of his desire. he must be able to insert a new record even before the first record. how can i accomplish this? can any body help me out please........ hi Ravindar, ravindar thati wrote: > how can i display the table on a form so that the user is able to > insert a new record not only in the last, but also in any place of his > desire. he must be able to insert a new record even before the first > record. Tables in Access (in a database) are a differen...

cannot save word file except tmp
I opened a word file I already worked before and updated and saved it - it is normal so far. After keeping working for a while, when I tried to save it, I got a message saying I cannot save it. The existing file name, while it is still open and i am working now, is suddenly changed to "xxxx.tmp". I had to save as with other name. I used MS Word 2007 Enterprise and worked under 2007 Office Groove. Any comments are welcome. Thanks, ...

copy formatting?
Is there a way to copy and paste from a formatted set of cells, to an unformatted set and have the formatting copy/paste as well, so that column/row sizes adjust to be the same? Thanks Steven Shelton "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not!" --Thomas Jefferson Hi Steven With pastespecial you can also copy column width but not row height See the edit menu for PasteSpecial If you only want to copy a range to another place to view/print then you can try this Row and column width is working then http://www.rondebruin.nl/print.htm#n...

Disable "remove" attachment from Notes?
By removing the "delete" privilege from the Notes entity from a security role, an User assigned with the role can be prevented from deleting a Note. But it does not prevent the User from removing the file attachment attached to the Notes. Question. Is there any workaround or intelligent customization to prevent the removing of file attachments? Hi Daniel, try limiting the NOTES - WRITE privileges to "none" Vivi - MS CRM consultant "Daniel" wrote: > By removing the "delete" privilege from the Notes entity from a security > role, an U...

Can one access newsgroups from Outlook?
thanks In a way, yes. It calls for Outlook Express for this action. see: Outlookhelp - Support for Microsoft Office Outlook http://www.howto-outlook.com/Faq/news.htm "d p" <dp25@access-4-free.com> wrote in message news:%23ZttKlS9EHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > thanks > > Thanks so much Walt ... a life saver. "Walt Basil" <see_signature@for_address.com> wrote in message news:#WV4VzS9EHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > In a way, yes. It calls for Outlook Express for this action. > > see: > Outlookhelp - Support for Microsoft Offic...

Multiple logins
Here is the scenario: My Fiancee & I share some of the same accounts. When she logs into the bank, she can see our joint accounts plus her personal accounts. The same for me. The issue is when I set Money up to pull from the bank, I get two of the same account. If I try to delete one of the duplicates, it tells me it has to delete all accounts from that login (including the history). I do not want to do this, but what can I do to save my sanity? Thanks! ...