Remove Cell Auto-Format (General) on Paste / Replace

Good morning all,

Just curious if this is able to be done. I have a series o
spreadsheets, all of them do different things, but the common factor i
that I paste claim numbers into them. The problem is, Excel seems t
think our claim numbers are dates. (Example. 2146/04 or 04/262
(different formats for different sections). Now, I have formatted AL
cells on these spreadsheets as text. (Ctrl-A, Format-Cells-Text
However, when pasting, Excel overrides whatever you've got, and choose
it's own way to paste data.

The other problem is with Find-Replace or Find-Replace All. A lot o
the time, when I get data from various sources, it has ... extra bits
Like, claim prefixes (SBC 2146/04, CMCLM 04/2621-1, etc) which I the
use find replace to remove. Same problem. What was once text, suddenl
becomes a date in Excels eyes, and I am left with Apr-2621.

So, the question is, does anybody know of a way to turn off Excel bein
'smart' when pasting or replacing data?

Thanks for your help,

-Bo

Format as text and paste special as text

--

For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup.

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"beeawwb >" <<beeawwb.16xw06@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Good morning all,
>
> Just curious if this is able to be done. I have a series of
> spreadsheets, all of them do different things, but the common factor is
> that I paste claim numbers into them. The problem is, Excel seems to
> think our claim numbers are dates. (Example. 2146/04 or 04/2621
> (different formats for different sections). Now, I have formatted ALL
> cells on these spreadsheets as text. (Ctrl-A, Format-Cells-Text)
> However, when pasting, Excel overrides whatever you've got, and chooses
> it's own way to paste data.
>
> The other problem is with Find-Replace or Find-Replace All. A lot of
> the time, when I get data from various sources, it has ... extra bits.
> Like, claim prefixes (SBC 2146/04, CMCLM 04/2621-1, etc) which I then
> use find replace to remove. Same problem. What was once text, suddenly
> becomes a date in Excels eyes, and I am left with Apr-2621.
>
> So, the question is, does anybody know of a way to turn off Excel being
> 'smart' when pasting or replacing data?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> -Bob
>

> ---

terre081 (3244)
5/28/2004 12:25:35 AM
What about on Find-Replace / Replace All? (That's the one I use a lo
more, as I have macros in other programs putting data into Excel, bu
they have extra information on them.)

Thanks for the help,

-Bo