remove blanks from a string of chars within a cell?

trim

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"rayhollidge" <rayhollidge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Don
1/7/2005 10:57:30 PM
All the blanks?

=SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","")

Lots of cells and permanently - Select range and use Edit / Replace,
replacing space with nothing.

--
Regards
              Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

"rayhollidge" <rayhollidge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
ken.wright (2489)
1/8/2005 1:22:25 AM
Hi Ray,
When posting please include the question in the text body.

Not everything that appears to be a space is a space,  frequently
when copying from HTML you will copy a  non-breaking space
character (&nbsp;) or char(160)  also known as a required blank (RBL)
in some places.
---
HTH,

"rayhollidge" <rayhollidge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:846DD838-1EA5-42F3-BD8B-D1AD481D181F@microsoft.com...

0
dmcritchie (2586)

Auto change formula in cells when source is changed
Good day experts; If specific cells have the same formula for example: C1 = Product( A1;B1) C16 = Product(A16;B16) C17= Product(A17;B17) And so on ... What formula should i write in C16, C17, ... so that: when the formula in the source cell, C1, is changed the formulas in C16, C17, ... would automatically change accordingly. I tried "=C1" it does not work Thanks in advance Carlo carlo wrote: > Good day experts; > > If specific cells have the same formula for example: > C1 = Product( A1;B1) > C16 = Product(A16;B16) > C17= Product(A17;B17) > And so on ... ...

Linking many cells
I wish to link many cells in (e.g. A1:40) in sheet 1 to A1:A40 in sheet 2 without doing it one by one so that whaever I type in A1 sheet 1 appears in A1 sheet 2. Please any idea? dk As long as your 'from' and 'to' blocks are structured identically (eg 1 column of forty rows in your example), it's straightforward. Click in the first 'to' cell, Sheet1!A1. Type the '=' sign, then click in the first 'from' cell, Sheet2!A1, then hit enter. Your formula in Sheet!A1 should read =Sheet2!A1 (look for it in the formula bar). Grab the fill handle (th...

Cell Reference 01-12-10
What I am looking for is that when I enter a formula (In cell B1) to pick up value in A1. Now I need value from cell A5 in cell B2. Next value I need in B3 is A9. Everytime I have to change the cell values manually in column B. Formula I use : - =IF(OR(AK64<$D$4,AK64=$D$4),H331,0) Now I need value from cell H336 and I manually change H331 to H336 shown below =IF(OR(AK64<$D$4,AK64=$D$4),H336,0) Any way to make this automated. Thanks Ankur Bhateja ankur.bhateja@hotmail.com Instead of =IF(OR(AK64<$D$4,AK64=$D$4),H331,0) you could say =IF(AK64<=$D$4,H331,0) ...

why do i get #### in my formula cell?
I don't really know much about Excel, and my formula (it's just simple arithmetic formulas) returns with ##### displayed on the cell, with a tooltip showing the cell's correct value when I hover over it. airn, make the column wider and see if that helps -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "airn" <airn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6F4DD7C-3D7D-475C-894D-0F7745735666@microso...

How to paste a cells row from Excel to a PowerPoint 2003 Table row?
Hello! How to paste a row of cells from Excel to a PowerPoint 2003 Table row? PowerPoint 2003 pastes all the row cells values in every cell in the row in the PowerPoint table if I select the row in the PP table before the pasting. PP pastes the row as an overlapping column if I place cursor in the first cell of the target row before pasting. Best regards, Dima +7 9163876746 +7 9035093892 ...

How to show the month of the referenced cell (containing a date)
If a cell holds the date "2/1/08", what formula can I use that will give me the following result: "Feb - 08" I tried =Month(a2)......but I just get the number of the month. Thanks. =TEXT(A2,"mmm - yy") Or simply =A2 with the cell custom formatted mmm - yy HTH. Best wishes Harald "Dave K" <fred.sheriff@gmail.com> skrev i melding news:165b03da-19ba-40b8-b9fe-77b17ef045b5@d45g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > If a cell holds the date "2/1/08", what formula can I use that will > give me the following result: > > "Feb - 08&...

Conditional Formating: linking to display another cell
Hello, I am trying to make a traffic light with symbols and I've read to 'use a separate cell for the dropdown choices, with their resulting value linked into the formatted cell through an IF function, using the character that you want to display.' So: =IF someone enters '1' in B8, THEN display contents of $C$4 (will it display font and attributes?) =IF someone enters '2' in B8, THEN display contents of $C$5 =IF someone enters '3' in B8, THEN display contents of $C$6 But I've been reading everywhere and CF is very new to me and I need ...

blank postcard template 4 x 6
Hi, I have a postcard that I made in MS Publisher that is 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 in size. Obviously I can't use a .23 cent stamp on this item. I was interested in modifying my larger postercard and reducing it to a 4 x 6 template size so I can save on postal expenses. I couldn't find a blank template! I've purchased card stock and am ready to figure out a way to convert the larger size to (4) 4x6 smaller postcards printed on a full sheet 8 1/2 x 11. I'll then have them cut to size. So.. is there a easy to use template out there and how do I convert (shrink) my current postc...

Cell with email address
I have a cell where I just want to record an email address. However, whenever I enter it tries to connect to Outlook, thinking I want to send an email. How can I stop this? -- Les Les It shouldn't try to connect unless you click on it but you can precede the entry with a single apostrophe or press Ctrl+Z after entry (undo) and a second entry should stop it -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Les" <Les@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9B53EE8A-A0A8-4AFD-A09F-116DDE063747@microsoft.co...

removing space
Hi, I have data in a column, which precedes by one or more spaces, how do I remove these. thanks Hi one way: =TRIM(A1) Also have a look at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm#trimall -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany mike wrote: > Hi, I have data in a column, which precedes by one or > more spaces, how do I remove these. > > thanks Try David McRitchie's TrimALL macro, especially if the data is pasted in from an external source, like a web page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm#trimall In article <b86d01c4798f$31678a90$a3012...

Excel Question: How to Delete All Blank Rows from a worksheet?
Hi, I'm brand new, and that is my question. I just spent 2 hour laboriously mousing along deleting row by row, every other row thinkin there's gotta be a better way. (I could've done it of course if the were adjacent, but they were interspersed with my good data). I'm little behind the times: agile with keystrokes but less so with mous [think I was quicker in Lotus DOS! (actually "TWIN")]. But I do play mean piano -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Check out: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm#DeleteBlankRows "DaveThePianoGuy >...

can I make cell "yes" equal 1, "no" equal 0
in another cell? =IF(AND(A1<>"yes",A1<>"no"),"",(A1="yes")*1+(A1="no")*0) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "can I make cell yes equal 1, no equa" <can I make cell "yes" equal 1, "no" equa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E222344-E390-4D39-B82D-39586CC55A64@microsoft.com... > Picky but I don't think that you need the " +(A1="no")*0 " Just =IF(AND(A1<>"yes",A1<>"no"),"&quo...

Need to remove Contact Folder in Outlook 2000
i have a lot of duplicate entries (1000), need to remove the entire folder. Do you want to delete them or do something else with them, have you looked at the duplicate checkers here http://www.slipstick.com/addins/contacts.htm#dupes "Rob Smith" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:118b501c3f5b4$d44891f0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > i have a lot of duplicate entries (1000), need to remove > the entire folder. > > Need to remove the entire Contact Folder. >-----Original Message----- >Do you want to delete them or do something else with ...

Using Jet to read excel file returns blank for last cell
With VB6 I am opening an Excel file to query the contents using ADO. I am then using the contents of the worksheet to create a format file that is used for a bulk insert into SQL Server. We designed the program this way so that users can use a spreadsheet to import data in any format they want and process the data based on values set in the spreadsheet. This keeps us from having to design new tables and format files for new record layouts which come down pretty often. Everything works fine usually. There is just one perculiarity that is happening with the Excel file. Sometimes, th...

Find a value in cells
Hi, all, I have something like this : a 1 b 4 c 5 d 3 I'm doing a max function in the number column and it returns me '5' But, after that, I want to know the letter which corresponds to the max number How can I do that? Thanks Nic -- nicgendron ------------------------------------------------------------------------ nicgendron's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25151 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=386417 Let's say that...

Detecting Case of Text in a Cell
Hi All I know it's possible to change the case of text in a cell in Excel using Lower, Upper and Proper, but is there a function that tells me the current case of the text? A user has a spreadsheet of catalogue items, some in proper case and some in upper. He wants to seperate those in upper case into a separate sheet but I can't think of an easy way of doing it. Can anyone help? Colin -- Colin Vicary ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Colin Vicary's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=10472 View this...

Getting cells to automatically delete spaces
Hi all I have got a very large spreadsheet where the information is presente as: 111111/ 1 Notice the two spaces after the forward slash. There's about 10'00 cells in the column with varying numbers but all in the above format. I need to get the two spaces deled so that it will appear as: 111111/1 Is there a way i can get excel to proccess this for me. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Darre -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Darren, Select the required area or a whole sheet, and do a simple Replace (Edit menu), asking Excel to replace s...

Identifying LOCKED cells
Is there a way to identify locked cells, other than going through the processof looking at each cell's format? Here's by quandry. I am working a worksheet which has both locked and unlocked cells. Unfortunately some of the locked cells should be unlocked so that data can be input. Thanks for your help To reply to this message, remove "mand" from my address. Thanks I've dragged the lock button onto a toolbar. When I click on a cell, I can glance at that and see if it's depressed (not suicidal!) or not. Tools|Customize|Commands Tab|Format category. Look for "Lo...

enter value in a cell from a combo box
How to build a combo box to be able to select a value and enter in the cell 1. Go to View > Toolbars > Control Toolbox 2. Click on the "Combobox" icon once and draw one on your worksheet (hold down the ALT button to fit to a cell). 3. Right-click on the Combobox and go to Properties. 4. In the ListFillRange type in the range of cells that contain the values to fill the combobox, like A1:A5. 5. In the LinkedCell field type a cell reference that will contain the user's selection (ie E2). 6. Click on the Exit Design Mode icon and close the toolbar. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA ...

Blank spaces
Hi all, I have loads of cells in a column with a blank space at the beginnin of the text in each cell. I would like to get rid of the blank spaces at the beginning of eac cell's text, but without getting rid of the blanks included in the bod of the cells' text. Anybody knows how I could do this? Thanks for helping m -- Scurlo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Scurloc's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2985 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49553 Use the TRIM fun...

paste linked cells show "0"
I have a number of cells in a range (lets say A14:J52). Some of these cells are "paste linked" from cells on other sheets. Unfortunately, when the original cell is empty, the value of the "paste linked" cell shows as "0". (not just blank like the original) Is there a way to keep the "paste linked" cell showing "0"? If not, how would I go about using VBA to systematically go through the above described range and delete those zeros? At the point I ran this code, any "0" could be deleted from the range safely whether it ...

removing duplicate values from a column
It sounds so simple that I must be overlooking the obvious answer, but I can't seem to find a way to remove duplicate values from a column. The case is simple: I have 600+ emailaddresses in column A, sorted alphabetically and there's a bunch of duplicate addresses in there (some of 'em occur up to 7 times!!). Instead of manually running through the whole list, removing the duplicates, there MUST be some soft of filter/function in excel to do this for me... Could anyone PLEASE help me with this!?!? Cheers! -- NOTE: remove the spamtrap from the emailaddress Jops, Select the em...

Cell colour change automatically
Is it possible to create a formula to automatically turn a cell a given colour? Example: - If I type the word "Yes" in a cell I would like the cell to turn red automatically, If I type the word "No" in a cell I would like the cell to turn green automatically. Is this possible? If yes please recreate a formula to assist me. Many thanks -=- dustyv Take a look at "Conditional Formatting" in XL Help. In article <45794F52-0D61-4B8F-8562-A3E9E6F957BE@microsoft.com>, dustyv <dustyv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is it possible to create a formul...

Copy cell to a new cell
Hi I have a cell value in the format 90TN82C128004K00. I would like to copy the first two digits to another cell i.e. 90 and follow it up with a dummy code 00CPSS00 which will be standard for all values. the new cell should have the following value 9000CPSS00. Is there an automated function that can do this for me. Hi, If you data is in A1 enter in B1: =LEFT(A1,2)&"00CPSS00" Regards, -- AP "mohd21uk" <u20517@uwe> a �crit dans le message de news:5e5292da6a2d1@uwe... > Hi > > I have a cell value in the format 90TN82C128004K00. I would like to copy the ...

Converting cells
Hello! My problem is that I cannot see the $ sign in Format Cell window when I choose the Currency format. Even more, the cells are not changing for the currency format. Thanks for any help. Try making a custom format. Try this one: $#,##0.00;[Red]-$#,##0.00 --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...