Regarding Sorting Columns

I made a worksheet of a list of books for a classroom library.  The first
column I named "Title"; the second one- "Author"; the third one "Genre";
....and so on.  Now, once I finished, I clicked the first column (A- "Title"),
and then clicked the A to Z function; this sorted all the Titles in
alphabetical order, but not any of the other columns.  Now, what I then did
after undoing this is to highlight all the rows of the columns to the right
of "Title", and then clicked the A to Z function, this then put all the
Titles in alphabetical order, and also carried the correct, correponding row
information with each title correctly.  My question is, when I click the B
"Author" colunm, and click the A to Z function to get it in alphabetical
order, how do I sort it and carry all the other corresponding row information
with it?  When I tried clicking its column, it only aphabetized that row, and
threw off the whole wirksheet, i.e. the information did not correctly
correspond to the information in the cells adjacent (row-wise) to it.  Thank
you.  Ben J.
0
Ben1 (161)

Hi Ben

when sorting i follow two rules
1) select either one cell in the data range, or the entire data range -
never a column
2) use data / sort from the menu, not those nasty toolbar icons :)

--
Cheers
JulieD
"Ben" <Ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I made a worksheet of a list of books for a classroom library.  The first
> column I named "Title"; the second one- "Author"; the third one "Genre";
> ...and so on.  Now, once I finished, I clicked the first column (A-
> "Title"),
> and then clicked the A to Z function; this sorted all the Titles in
> alphabetical order, but not any of the other columns.  Now, what I then
> did
> after undoing this is to highlight all the rows of the columns to the
> right
> of "Title", and then clicked the A to Z function, this then put all the
> Titles in alphabetical order, and also carried the correct, correponding
> row
> information with each title correctly.  My question is, when I click the B
> "Author" colunm, and click the A to Z function to get it in alphabetical
> order, how do I sort it and carry all the other corresponding row
> information
> with it?  When I tried clicking its column, it only aphabetized that row,
> and
> threw off the whole wirksheet, i.e. the information did not correctly
> correspond to the information in the cells adjacent (row-wise) to it.
> Thank
> you.  Ben J.

0
JulieD1 (2295)
4/4/2005 3:44:45 PM
you can highlight all of the things you want to sort, and then use the tab
key to make the active cell be in the coulumn you want to sort by.  Then you
can use the button to get all sorted. Whenever you have problems you should
probably use the <data><sort> intstructions.  There are a lot of useful
options with this.

"Ben" wrote:

> I made a worksheet of a list of books for a classroom library.  The first
> column I named "Title"; the second one- "Author"; the third one "Genre";
> ...and so on.  Now, once I finished, I clicked the first column (A- "Title"),
> and then clicked the A to Z function; this sorted all the Titles in
> alphabetical order, but not any of the other columns.  Now, what I then did
> after undoing this is to highlight all the rows of the columns to the right
> of "Title", and then clicked the A to Z function, this then put all the
> Titles in alphabetical order, and also carried the correct, correponding row
> information with each title correctly.  My question is, when I click the B
> "Author" colunm, and click the A to Z function to get it in alphabetical
> order, how do I sort it and carry all the other corresponding row information
> with it?  When I tried clicking its column, it only aphabetized that row, and
> threw off the whole wirksheet, i.e. the information did not correctly
> correspond to the information in the cells adjacent (row-wise) to it.  Thank
> you.  Ben J.
0
BJ (832)

Finding Similar entries in one column in another
Hi, I am relatively new to using Excel with vast amounts of data and was after any suggestions which could help me complete a problem that I have.. I have two columns with descriptions in (approximately 10 words). I need to find descriptions from one column (Sheet 1,column C) which are similar to the other column (Sheet 2,Column A).For example,if I could display the number of words which are similar to both columns I could then find the ones with the largest number of similar words. For example, the two columns could look like... Sheet1,column C.... Description 300g Fish fillets She...

Displaying the Sigma Symbol as a Column heading
Excel ver 2000 I would like to use the Sigma symbol as a character of a Column heading. I have two questions: Does Excel have the ability to display these symbols as text? What is the process for doing this? I tried looking at the WingDing fonts but could not find the symbol. Where can I obtain a keyboard mapping of the WingDing fonts? Thank you You can see it in Internet Explorer at http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/fonts.htm you can make Firefox show same if you add fonts, and you will have to redo each time a new version of Firefox is installed. http://www.mvps.or...

Naming columns
Hello group, I have a worksheet for our small business to keep track of all the financial data. I would find it alot easier if the columns could be changed from "a", "b", "c", etc. to have the name of the data which goes in that column, for instance "courier" "power bill" "vendor" etc. THe problem is when I am entering data in a column on say line 100, and cannot remember what that column is. Currently, I have a paper cheat sheet indicating what each column is for, but I would rather change is on the program. I hope I am describ...

Replace cell of column with cells of other worksheet
Hello, I have the following problem. In one sheet I have a table with imported keys from an access table. Now I want to replace these keys with strings that are in a second worksheet. So eg when a cell in the 1st sheet has value 2 it has to be replaced by eg "the second"... How can I do this for all the cells of that column automatically? Thanks a lot. Kristof I'd suggest VLOOKUP, if it weren't for > all the cells of that column > automatically Find & Replace is probably out, since what works for "2" will affect 12, 20, 21, 22 ... Depending ...

Combo Box Column with No Data
I have a table, the first column of which I seem to be unable to get to appear in a combo box column. Instead I get a column which appears completely blank, though the Row Source indisputably contains the desired values. Any ideas? Thanks, as always, for any and all suggestions. What versoin of Access? If 2003, perhaps you need the Hotfix for SP3 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945674 -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Darrell" <Darrell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E423FA17-DD1B-4474-903...

Column Size
Hello I've been playing around with placing objects in specified cells. However, I've noticed that the standard column width is shown as 8.43 (64 pixels) - can you tell me what this measurement is? I think the standard row height is in points - why the difference? Thanks Peter Width is dependant on the font. 8.43 denotes that many characters can be displayed in the default Arial font. Try this: With the display set at 100%, note how many columns are visible on your screen. Now, <Tools> <Options> <General> tab, And change the default font to Algerian (right ab...

finding 600 emails in a column
Hi! Thank you for taking the time to read this. I run an internet retail business. We advertise on search engine large and small. I have to make a decision on whether or not one of our smaller ad site is paying off. Basically, the ad site supplies us with a list o POTENTIAL CUSTOMER emails. We send out monthly promotional emails t them. Now i need to track these emails to see if any of them have becom ESTABLISHED CUSTOMERS. So far, I fed information from our main data base of ESTABLISHE CUSTOMERS into EXCELL so all the ESTABLISHED CUSTOMER emails are in on column. But i don't kn...

Sum of column #2
Hi I have a worksheet containing 25 columns In the column A I have categories and the other columns B to Z represent periods Looks like this PLB 1 2 3 1 2 2 2 3 .................. ADD 3 4 2 4 1 5 6 4 .................. AVL 2 1 4 2 3 7 1 4 ................... PLB 2 3 2 1 5 2 4 3 ..................... I am looking for a formula that will add each columns for the same Categorie So the result for the categorie PLB should be 1+2+3+1+2+2+2+3 (first row) + 2+3+2+1+5+2+4+3 (last row) = total = 38 ADD = 29 AVL = 24 thanks for helping Try this: =SUMPRODUCT((A2:...

squashed columns
Apologies if this has been asked before. One of my users occasionally has a problem where the columns in her spreadsheet appear all "squashed up" when she opens the file. She is using Office 97 SR-2. Any ideas why this is happening? ~Paul. Did she or any one else save the file with a zoom factor (far) less then 100% ? -- Regards, Auk Ales * Please reply to this newsgroup only * * I will not react on unsolicited e-mails * "Paul Birney" <pbirney@eircom.ie> wrote in message news:uqstZ%23QAEHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Apologies if this has been asked ...

Column that needs separation
I am very new with excel and I am putting together a worksheet that has a column consisting of two primary names. I would like to format the entire column with the result being both names having their own color throughout the column. Alternatively, I could go to each row and highlight the name but there are about 1000 rows. Thanks, Aaron Say column A has entries like: James Ravenswood Run this small macro: Sub Colorizer() Dim A As Range, r As Range Set A = Intersect(ActiveSheet.UsedRange, Range("A:A")) For Each r In A v = r.Value s = Split(v, ...

Adding columns given a match
Hello, I have 2 tables with different data, except for a member ID column. Table A has 38,000 records with about 35 columns. Table B has 3,000 records, with about 9 columns. I need to read table B, scan table A with the member ID from table B and add the 3 last cells from table B to table A for that member. I have a general idea how to do it, but that's about it. I need help. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much in advance, Cefoxtrot Simplest technique is INDEX/MATCH. This link will probably be broken by the forum, but remove the breaks to make one long line ag...

Copy column headings AND formula totals to blank spreadsheet
Hi Everyone! I apologize that this was likely asked before but could someone show me how I can copy my 'column headings, column widths and totals formula' to a blank spreadsheet tab? I have set up budget spreadsheet where I input my receipts to keep track of monthly expenditures. Could someone explain how to copy the column headings, the column widths, AND the formulas of each column to a blank spreadsheet tab so each month will contain the 'same headings, same column widths and the same formula for each column'? Thanks so much for any help!!! katy Assuming you alr...

vlookup for words content when there are duplicate values in the lookup-column
Hi, Would appreciate if someone help me here. Thanks in advance. When I vlookup Material1 to Material2 for the Project No, I get the vlookup Project No. as 222-56 for all the duplicate Material values. What formula to use so that when there are duplicate values in Material2, I want to have vlookup looking to match Project No. containg "AA" as 1st choice ? (if no Project No. containing "AA", then looks for its content "AB" and subsequently looks for "AC" if there is no "AB"). ColumnA ColumnB ColumnC Material2 Duplicate? Project No...

How to find duplicates within same column
Hello all, I am trying to find if there are any duplicate values within the same column, without removing them. Example ID no. 1121 2222 3343 5554 6785 4565 6785 1121 3343 In this example 1121, 3343, 6785 are duplicates. I have a ~20000 rows spreadsheet and would like to speed up the process. Thank you all, Frank http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Duplicates.aspx -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Frank Beltre" <fbl3@fbl3.com> wrote in message news:uhDpWEL8HHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hello all, > > I am trying to find if there are any duplicate values withi...

subtract a column by a number
I have a excel sheet, Name Salary Tony 1000 JOhn 2000 Gary 3000 I want to subtract all numbers in column "salary" by 10. So that Name Salary Tony 990 JOhn 1990 Gary 2990 How can I do it? Thanks, qq Put 10 in a "free", that is, empty cell somewhere. Copy that cell. Select the cells that you want to adjust. Then select Edit | PasteSpecial and use Operation = Subtract. Regards Trevor <quickcur@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1107561518.773553.165080@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >I have a excel sheet, > > > Name Salary >...

column widths and row heights
based on 100% view, when u set the column width to say 12 units and the row height to, for example, 15... what is the actual dimensions in reality in mm. ie, how can i get the required number to ensure that row and colms are exactly 2 mm in width and height pat Column width and row heights defaults are not in inches or mm. The number that appears in the Standard column width box is the average number of digits 0-9 of the standard font that fit in a cell. Row heights are measured in points or pixels. There are 72 points to an inch and "maybe" 96 pixels to the inch. For ...

Sorted vector
Hello everyone.... I have a vector of POINT: typedef vector<POINT> vectPoints; I'd like to have an ordered array of this vector so I can remove and insert "sources of POINT" in ordered way... so I thought about sets... It is possible to have something like: typedef set<int, vectPoints> array_of_POINTS so I could have that int as order key?... If yes, how I could "insert" since doing array_of_POINTS afP; vectPoints vp; .... afP.insert(idxorder, vp); doesn't work?... thanks to all! Ciao Luigi Luigino wrote: > Hello...

Sort a range of Dates on a subform
I have a Form and a Subform where I have datas and every record has a field named: Wdate also I have a field where I put a date I would like to press a button to sort equal or less dates than the date that I put on the field, please help Thanks in advance -- Lorenzo Díaz Cad Technician On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 08:28:00 -0800, ldiaz <ldiaz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a Form and a Subform where I have datas and every record has a field >named: Wdate >also I have a field where I put a date >I would like to press a button to sort equal or less dates than ...

csv
Hi, Using Excel 2000, SP3 Situation: Trying to do a SaveAs from XLS to CSV The last column has some cells containing data, but the majority of the cells are blank Issue: It looks like Excel is not adding the last comma for the majority of the blank cells (it does it for a few of them), when the file is saved to CSV Is there a patch to fix this bug? The closest KB article i could find matching this problem was #259208. thanks, ap You can fake the extra comma at the end with the Text Write Program by specifying comma, CR, LF for the record delimiter. Try 44, 13, 10. 44 is the code ...

Compare Multiple Columns & Sum
In Col F I need a formula to compare "unique records" in Cols D&E against records in Cols A&B ... if "same" I need to "Sum" values in Col C ... I know how to compare on single fields, but not multiple fields ... As always my sincere Thanks to the many Magicians on this Board ... K ie: Unique (Records A&B) (Sum) Col A Col B Col C Col D Col E | Col F | AAAA B 6 AAAA | 4 BBBB CJ 3 AAAA B | 11 AAAA 4 ...

Convert Data to columns heading
Example: Product | Date | Sales ----------------------- A | Jan94 | 200 A | Feb94 | 300 A | Mar94 | 400 A | Apr94 | 500 A | May94 | 600 A | Jun94 | 700 A | Jul94 | 800 A | Aug94 | 200 A | Sep94 | 300 A | Oct94 | 400 A | Nov94 | 500 A | Dec94 | 600 B | Jan94 | 200 B | Feb94 | 300 B | Mar94 | 400 B | Apr94 | 500 B | May94 | 600 B | Jun94 | 700 B | Jul94 | 800 B | Aug94 | 200 B | Sep94 | 300 B | Oct94 | 400 B | Nov94 | 500 B | Dec94 | 600 How can I convert it to: Product | Jan94 | Feb94 | Mar94 | Apr94 | May94| Jun94 | Jul94...... ----------------------------------------------------------------...

Any way to remove wayward columns?
I'm not sure why, but for some reason on 1 page in one of my workbooks, the columns go all the way out to IV. On that sheet, I'm only actually using columns out to J. I'm running Excel 2003. Is there any way to remove the extra columns so Excel doesn't think the worksheet has hundreds and hundreds of columns? Thanks, Colin Colin Not sure what your probem is: Excel has 256 columns and 65536 rows. You cannot delete these. You can hide unused cols and rows. On the other hand, if your problem is that Excel thinks your used range extends to column IV when you hit CRTL ...

Merging Columns
I need to assign usernames to thousands of users in a spreadsheet. I have first name and last name in seperate columns. I'd like the username to be an initial for the first name and the full last name and have the username be completely in lowercase (see below). Column A (first name) = John Column B (last name) = Doe Column C (username) = jdoe Is there a formula that could be written that would allow me to do the above? I haven't been able to find anything in the Excel help files or on the Web. Appreciate any assistance... -- bittersweet -----------------------------------------...

Money 2006 small business sorting by customers name
Is there a way to sort customer name by their last name? If I enter name last name first, the invoices are printed last name first. So, if I enter name first name first one cannot find transactions alphabetically. Any suggestions? -- Christopher J. Fazio, V.M.D. Hope, New Jersey ...

FINDING "EQUALITY" within 3 consecutive columns
I have 3 consecutive columns, A,B, & C with various numbers within each...also there are probably 1500 rows. How do I find the rows where each of the three numbers within that row are equal? EXAMPLE: A B C 1 128 158 188 2 127 128 128 3 211 188 170 4 199 196 165 5 ...