referencing workbooks

I have a small problem with referencing workbooks. There is a workboo
set as a parent with a number of child workbooks reference. These chil
workbooks also reference the parent which is one directory up. Th
problem occurs when the main directory holding all the workbooks an
subfolders is moved. The references in the parent to child links ar
updated but the child to parent aren't. Any ideas on how to get aroun
this

Hi
try openening all workbooks after moving them around. This should help

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"richardDex >" <<richardDex.16weij@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:richardDex.16weij@excelforum-nospam.com...
> I have a small problem with referencing workbooks. There is a
workbook
> set as a parent with a number of child workbooks reference. These
child
> workbooks also reference the parent which is one directory up. The
> problem occurs when the main directory holding all the workbooks and
> subfolders is moved. The references in the parent to child links are
> updated but the child to parent aren't. Any ideas on how to get
around
> this?
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)
5/27/2004 6:02:28 AM
Open Edit, Links in ur child workbooks.Change the reference to point t
the correct location of the parent file

thanks guys I was hoping that here was some way of automating this du
to the large number of links contained in the workbooks but if this i
the only way...aw well.:rolleyes

can a workbook with macros created in excel 2003 work in excel 20.
I created a workbook in excel 2003. I then made changes to it on another computer using excel 2000 and saved it to a CD. When I open the file up in excel 2003 I get a message that says "data may be lost". When it does open all the macros are lost. Are ther limitations working between excel 2000 and 2003? I suspect that your problem is not the version difference but is due to the fact that you saved it to a cd. Never save a file to a cd or floppy. Always save the file on the HD and then COPY to the cd. Then, copy from the cd to the HD and then open from the HD. However, there ma...

excel vba
I'm new to VBA and I'm running my first lengthy program. I notice a lot of background activity as various workbooks and sheets are activated by my code. Very annoying and slow. Is there a way to minimize this background activity? Can we open files hidden? Hi Mondrogan, Suggest you take a look at http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "...

Shared Workbook #14
How do I set up the files so that a file in the public drive (Read-only) would be a mirror imgage of the file in the personal drive? Would a shared workbook work? Do you have any suggestions? Thanks, Tom ...

Excel Workbooks #2
We created a multi sheet workbook saved it and closed. Now when we open the file the EXCEL window opens but the workbook appears in a box with a blue bar at the top in the upper left corner of the window. How do we get it to fill the window? Double-click on the box? K -- kkknie ------------------------------------------------------------------------ kkknie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=7543 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=265140 You can't do anthing with the box. It can't be made large...

Excel Keyboard Shortcuts Workbook
This is a list of some of the most used shortcuts in Excel. It is not exhaustive. But should prove useful. And you can easily extend it. http://officeblogs.net/excel/Charlie_Keyboard_Shortcut_Book.xls. Hey, thanks for this - nice to have them all in one place. Pete On Sep 29, 12:24 am, "Wondering" <Wonder...@hotmail.com> wrote: > This is a list of some of the most used shortcuts in Excel. It is not > exhaustive. But should prove useful. And you can easily extend it.http://officeblogs.net/excel/Charlie_Keyboard_Shortcut_Book.xls. A list with the longer descriptio...

Copy Cells from multiple Worksheets in same workbook.
I have a work book with mutiple worksheets and would like to create a summary worksheet of certain cells within the other worksheets. I now I can copy and past each cell, but is there a quicker way? For example I would like to copy celsl sheet1!C15 through sheet10!C15 into individual cells in the summary worksheet Check out the below link by Ron de Bruin on copying a range of each sheet http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy2.htm -- Jacob "OceanSS" wrote: > I have a work book with mutiple worksheets and would like to create a summary > worksheet of certain cel...

Workbook default for borders
I have a number of workbooks which began their lives in Excel and the cell border setting is just fine. Nice dark lines, etc. Howver, I have other Excel files that were created from Lotus 1-2-3 files. The cell border settings in these files is not the same as the other files. The cell border line is gray. When I set a cell with a border and then click on Format, cell, border and then click on Choose the black color, the cell in question gets the desired format. But, no where can I find a way to set the default cell border this way for the whole workbook. Isn't there a menu op...

Slow opening of workbook
In a workbook I'm constructing which is approx 650kb in size I notice that on opening it ,that it says in the taskbar Opening ".....", etc. with the progress meter running. It begins the process Ok showing 3 blue indicators quickly and it then sits there for about 8-10 seconds before it opens the file. The only thing, other than various VBA code within the sheets and other public modules, is the following in this workbook module. Private Sub Workbook_Open() With Sheets("ALL A-C") .EnableAutoFilter = True ..Protect Password:="", UserInterfaceOnly:=True End W...

Workbook and sheets have disappeared but file can open
I have an excel file which completely disappeared while working on it. When I tried to close down the file I was asked if I wanted to save the file etc. When opening the file I am asked if I want to update it and pressing yes or no, a Book 1 file opens. I close the book 1 file and this leaves a blank Excel background. When I go to close Excel it asks me if I would like to save the changes to my file, even though nothing is there! My computer is free of viruses. Please help. Replies to jamies@dominos.net.au Thanks Jamie Smith Hi Jamie, Try: Window | Arrange ... --- Regard...

how can I paste to a different workbook without formula refrencing the original sheet
hi, I have many workbooks which have 8-9 sheets each. All identical as an e.g each work book represents a company and each sheet has some financial data for that company. I am adding a new sheet which has charts and formulas which refrence other sheets in the same workbook. I want to replicate this sheet in all other workbooks but the formulas and charts need to refrence the sheets in the local workbook. But when I copy and paste all the data is refrenced from the original sheet and I have to fix every data point and this is very cumbersome and ineffcieint. Is there some way to do this ea...

Opening a Workbook from a Macro
I'm opening a Workbook (call it Fred) using a macro in a second workbook (Barney). Before I use the Workbook.Open command to open Fred I'd like to check to make sure Fred is not already open. How can I check check to see if Fred is already open? Thank you, Mark Try this with the function Sub File_Open_test() If bIsBookOpen("Book11.xls") Then MsgBox "the File is open!" Else MsgBox "the File is not open!" End If End Sub Function bIsBookOpen(ByRef szBookName As String) As Boolean ' Rob Bovey On Error Resume Ne...

Shared workbook question
I have an Excel workbook that is shared among many users inside a intranet. When I look at the list which shows the users using the workbook, ther are users listed which actually -don't- have the workbook open Sometimes users are even listed twice. By using the button in the dialog window I can remove the users, bu why do the users remain on the list when they don't have the workboo open -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi IMHO the shared workbook feature of Excel is a little bit buggy (one of the reasons I would recommend NOT to use it) -- Regards Frank Kabel Fra...

troubleshoot shared workbook
My shared workbook now says it is made "exclusive" by me and I can no longer implement sharing. How can I fix this. It is linked to Access and some reports are generated in Excel and some in Access. ...

Workbook protection
i want to protect a cell so it can't be changed by a person, but an formulas or macros CAN. I know how to protect a sheet, but it stops macros too. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com mushy_peas, You have two options..... Worksheets("yoursheetname").Protect Password:="yourpassword", _ UserInterfaceOnly:=True The above needs to be in the Workbook_Open event or a sub named Auto_Open. It will protect manual entries in protected cells but allow macros to manipulate them. or................ Worksheets("yoursheetname").Unprotect Pas...

Copying a range to different worksheets/workbooks
I have a spreadsheet which contains a list as follows Sorted by Col A then G. A G H I J Abbot 27-Oct-2003 London 24 13 Abbot 20-Feb-2002 Norwich 22 08 Abbot 29-Apr-2001 Hull 20 02 Abbot 04-Jun-2000 Grantham 19 12 Brown 20-May-2004 Newark 35 14 Brown 06-Jul-2002 Sheffield 35 06 Brown 23-Mar-2002 London 33 12 Brown 18-Sep-1960 Wo...

Defaul start up sheet on a workbook
Does anyone know how to make a workbook open in the same or default sheet every time is opened? I have a workbook with 15 sheets. How can I make excel to open it in the first sheet everytime I open this workbook?.... Excel always remembers the last active sheet that the workbook had open at the time it was save and close.. Anybody has any suggestions? Thank you in advance Hi put the following code in your workbook module: Private Sub Workbook_Open() Worksheets("your_sheet").Activate End Sub and replace the sheetname Frank GeoN wrote: > Does anyone know how to mak...

Updating different worbooks to workbook
Is there a simple way update certain parts of a workbook from other workbooks? It depends. It may be that you could use a custom macro or simply copy and paste. The best way would be determined by the specifics of what the differences are and what changes need to be made, and what you mean by update - combine? write-over? change the formulas to match? HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "aggi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2cd6f01c46a77$05e6c9c0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a simple way update certain parts of a workbook > from other workbooks? ...

existing workbook,want to create chart-wizard will not open
New to computers-excel,Istill believe the transitor radio just came out.Anyway, I have an exisiting spreadsheet(workbook) that i need to create chart(s) for.January thru Dec for 06 across the top of the page. 6 catagories down the left column. The chart wizard will not allow me to pull it up when I have my spreadsheet displayed. How do i create if I can't the wizard to open? ...

Read Only_Protected Workbook?
We have a multisheet workbook that is created from a proprietary report writer. At the file level, the workbook does not have Read Only checkmarked. However all of the boxes are greyed out. Under the Tools_Protection menu the workbook does not appear to be protected. The problem is: we cannot change any of the data and we wanted to be able to analyze it further in Excel. When we try to change something we get an error message telling us we can't make changes because the the cell is protected and therefore read-only. But we can't unprotect it? Any help is appreciated -- ftj...

Workbook file size increasing
A file was created in XL 97 (I think) currently being opened & saved in XL 2002. It has one sheet. It contains a roster with employee names in cells A2 - A20 and dates for the month B1, C1 etc through to AF1. In some cells there is a 'X' to indicate that the employee is to work that date. Each cell has a border and some have shading (to indicate weekends). Each month the file is updated to show the new roster and the 'X's' for each person are moved into differing cells. The file is saved. No additional data is added. The file in July was 3.6MB, now its 5.4MB!...

Referencing .NET 2.0 but end result uses .NET 3.5
I'm using DevStudio 2005 and I have a project that references System.dll ver 2.0.50727 and I accidentally compiled code that used an overload that only exists in version 3.5 because my intellisense showed it. I tried to compile it on another machine that never had the .NET 3.5 install and it wouldn't compile and the intellisense had that version of the overload yet both references looked identical; looking at ver 2.0 of System.dll The method in question was WaitHandle.WaitOne. ..NET 2.0 WaitOne() WaitOne(Int32, Boolean) WaitOne(TimeSpan, Boolean) ..NET 3.5 WaitOne...

My CD won't let me save my Excel workbook on them?
I have created Excel workbooks but when they are saved under excel workbook and I put in or have already have in a CD for saving on, My Excel says that my computer can not format this kind of disc. I have had these discs before and have saved on them many times. I recently bought CD-RW so that I could erase and use again. My computer won't let me. I am sooo frustrated. I have been up late for 3 wks. trying to figure this thing out. Why when I put in a CD of ANY KIND, does it automatically go to Media Player and fill up my cd before I can even save anything on them? Whe...

Unable to open saved workbook
Apparently Excel lets you save workbooks that can't be opened. After saving my work and copying the 6.5meg file to another network location, I found that Excel crashed when attempting to re-open the file (Excel has generated errors and needs to close...). This happened on several computers. Finally, another machine was able to open the file (on its second attempt). I re-saved the file under another name and it ended up 1meg larger in size. The workbook has about 10 sheets with lots of charts... Any ideas? Everyone said, "Don't you have a backup?!" Of course the backups w...

Excel 2007: Formula bar text flicker, can't access other open workbooks or close Excel.
I am working on a fairly large application that refers to code in several addins. Userforms are used, but there are no shapes, charts, etc. on any worksheet. My problem is that 'randomly', but usually some time after using the main form (that can interact with cells on a worksheet) the test in the formula bar textbox starts flickering like some code is caught in an endless loop. I can interact with Excel at this point, but can't naviagate to other workbooks or even close Excel without ending it's process via TaskManager. The only way to get the flickering to stop is ...

having renamed a workbook my password does not work
yesterday I split and renamed a huge excel workbook which was password protected. Today the password does not allow me to open either document. I have been using the password for ages and know it is case sensitive. Help Did you hit the caps lock by mistake? Lyndsayd wrote: > > yesterday I split and renamed a huge excel workbook which was password > protected. Today the password does not allow me to open either document. > I have been using the password for ages and know it is case sensitive. > > Help -- Dave Peterson ...