Reference Formula Help

I have a series of data that I'm trying to create a reference for.  For
example:

A    B     C     D
1    2     3
2    4     1    5
3    2     1    4
4    3     2
5    1

Data in Column A is the name or search criteria.  Columns B through ... is
the range of data I want to search.  For this example, for the name or search
criteria of "3", I would like to return the number of names or search
criteria "3" appears in throughout the data range.  So, for this example, 3
appears in names 1 and 4.

I tried the initial VLOOKUP search, but realized very quickly that this was
a little more complicated than that.  I can have unlimited values, however
none will be duplicates.

Any ideas would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Scott if you only require the number of times that your search criteria
appears ("I would like to return the number of names"), try this: (Enter in
cell E1 and copy down)
=COUNTIF($B$1:$D$5,$A1)
Hope this helps

"Scott" wrote:

> I have a series of data that I'm trying to create a reference for.  For
> example:
>
> A    B     C     D
> 1    2     3
> 2    4     1    5
> 3    2     1    4
> 4    3     2
> 5    1
>
> Data in Column A is the name or search criteria.  Columns B through ... is
> the range of data I want to search.  For this example, for the name or search
> criteria of "3", I would like to return the number of names or search
> criteria "3" appears in throughout the data range.  So, for this example, 3
> appears in names 1 and 4.
>
> I tried the initial VLOOKUP search, but realized very quickly that this was
> a little more complicated than that.  I can have unlimited values, however
> none will be duplicates.
>
> Any ideas would be very helpful and much appreciated.
Essentially that is correct, however I will have at least 500 rows of data
and I don't want to simply count the number of times Column A comes up, but I
want to return the names of of the data where it appears.

With this example, I want to create another column for each row that simply
states which returns the other linked names.

For example, in Column E, I would like to return the following.
A     E
1     2,3
2     1,4
3     1,4
4     2
5     2

Notice Column E searches Columns B, C, and D for what's in Column A and when
there's a match, returns the name in Column A from that matched row.

"Ron@Buy" wrote:

> Scott if you only require the number of times that your search criteria
> appears ("I would like to return the number of names"), try this: (Enter in
> cell E1 and copy down)
> =COUNTIF($B$1:$D$5,$A1)
> Hope this helps
>
> "Scott" wrote:
>
> > I have a series of data that I'm trying to create a reference for.  For
> > example:
> >
> > A    B     C     D
> > 1    2     3
> > 2    4     1    5
> > 3    2     1    4
> > 4    3     2
> > 5    1
> >
> > Data in Column A is the name or search criteria.  Columns B through ... is
> > the range of data I want to search.  For this example, for the name or search
> > criteria of "3", I would like to return the number of names or search
> > criteria "3" appears in throughout the data range.  So, for this example, 3
> > appears in names 1 and 4.
> >
> > I tried the initial VLOOKUP search, but realized very quickly that this was
> > a little more complicated than that.  I can have unlimited values, however
> > none will be duplicates.
> >
> > Any ideas would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Help on subscript out of range error (VB6/VBA)
Hi, I want to work with multiple excel workbooks en worksheets using a stand alone VB6 application. 1. First I open and close the workbooks and populate a listbox with sheetnames. 2. Then I select some sheets and fill an Array. (This array contains sheetnames from different workbooks) 3. The last step is to open and close the workbooks again and loop (For Each) through the sheets to get the information I need using the above mentioned array. The only problem is that I receive an "Subscript out of Range" error. This error occurs because I'm attempting tot access a workshee...

HELP! **Transfer orders to invoices error
I need some serious help. We just upgraded from GP 7.5 to GP 8.0 and now I am unable to transfer orders to invoices. I keep getting an error that says "Order ORD1555 has no line items to transfer to Invoice INV144408." Order# 1555 does have about 10 line items, which I can view on the screen. I did go in and run the "Check Links" function, but it hasn't done anything. This is our busiest time of year and a really bad time for something like this to happen. Can someone please give me some advice on how to fix this? if this is just one order, why not cancel...

Using cell reference with logical operator in DGET expression
I am using DGET to search an array in the worksheet to find a particular percent to use in a calculation elsewhere in the spreadsheet. The row members of the array contain a series of from and to values that I use to identify which row has the percent I am looking for. I have defined the array as a range and I can use the logical operatirs with numeric values in the range criteria and everything works fine. For example, I can use <500 in the appropriate cell in range criteria to find the percent to use when the value for that column in the array is less than 500. All working f...

Any Help documentation for Exchange 2007?
E2k7' help button gives 'Cannot display Help' Technical details: HC not found. (MS.OSSADMIN.manifest , 1033) Did I miss something? Not all the help is completed in the Beta 2 release. "Prem" <premmetje@zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:1161634519.758601.285030@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > E2k7' help button gives 'Cannot display Help' Technical details: HC not > found. (MS.OSSADMIN.manifest , 1033) > Did I miss something? > ...

reference cell above even if row deleted
I would like to be able to reference a cell imediately above the current cell even if the row above that cell had just been deleted. For instance: contents of A5: =A4+$B$1 then delete row 4 and rather than have contents of A4:#REF!+$B$1 have it A4:A3+$B$1 Is there some way to do this? Thanks for any tips. John Keith kd0gd@juno.com You can use the OFFSET function: =OFFSET(A5,-1,0)+$B$1 John Keith wrote: > I would like to be able to reference a cell imediately above the > current cell even if the row above that cell had just been deleted. > > For instance: > > conte...

Pls, help a beginner(MFC)
Could anybody tell me what is the future of MFC? I never used that library. I just got some skills in pure C++. But some knowledgeable people are saying it's not a good idea to study MFC, because "it's going to be obsolete" and replaced by .Net. They advise me to study C# because as they say "studying MFC will take you quite a lot of time by which Longhorn will be released and all coding will be done in managed way"... Well, I really don't know which direction to elect According to me :) MFC never be obsolete and it would be safe...

Help
My Regional Manager insists on things being perfect - need assistance with this problem. Working in Governemtn department - we have many users with unusal names and surnames - not common to standard dictionaries. My Rm wants to forward emails received with these peoples names in the original message - without outlook spell checking each of these names before sending. I have set up the email options under spelling - to ignore original message when forwarding - which it does but still spell checks the original message's recipients before sending. How do I set this up to exclude the n...

Distribution list help needed
We created a distribution list. Internal active directory users are able to send to the list. Internet e-mail senders are not able to send to the list. The mail is not bouncing back to the Internet e-mail users. The messages are just not getting to the inbox of the members of the distribution list. For example our domain is abc.net. The list we created is questions@abc.net. We have four users in the list. When a user logged into our Active Directory sends a mail to questions@abc.net the mail is successfully sent to the inboxes of all of the users in the list. When the e-mail ...

Uploading Back to the Yahoo server...Please Help
Dear Member of this Help Forum; please help..please help me because i have lost all my important emails and i am so depressed...so sad....please Help....i HAVE SEARCHED THIS FROUM BUT NO ONE HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE.... My story and what i have done : I have a "Yahoo Small Business Account" with domain name and hosting, and 3 email address from that account. i used to use NO EMAIL CLIENT LIKE OUTLOOK at all and i used to save all my emails on yahoo servers and using yahoo normal email website to read, send and save all my emails...untill tonight! tonight i set up outlook 200...

.pst file is maxed out - HELP
Apparently I have reached the maximum size of my outlook.pst file (see attached error message). I have tried deleting items but nothing I do seems to have any effect and I continue to get the attached error message. Therefore the eMail part of Outlook is disabled. Anyone got any pointers? XP Pro SP-2/Outlook 2003. Already using .pst format for database. Thanks, No image attached. Post a link, rather than an attachment. See http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.htm=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/o...

Fixing a formula
I have the following equation, it is looking up in another worksheet an pulling through information when it finds a match in second file fro cell d in first file. =VLOOKUP(D10,'C:\New Code Se up\[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4:O81,4,FALSE) This is working but when i copy the equation down a few rows th equation changes to this and it should still be looking at Sheet 1 C to O81. =VLOOKUP(D14,'C:\New Code Se up\[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C8:O85,4,FALSE) I know i need to fix part of the equation but don't know how or whic bit. Please help -- Boethius -----------...

Replacing part of a formula
Currently I am working on a project that uses formulas to referenc another sheet in the workbook. I plan to use the newly created shee monthly. However I am in need of changing part of the cell formula. Example one cell says =Nov!D12 and I am needing to change it to rea =Dec!D12 or =Jan!D12 etc.... Any help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way is to use the INDIRECT function when creating your formulas, eg:- Assuming your month was in say A3 then =INDIRECT(A3&"!A1") will give you the data from cell A1 on whatever sheet is listed in A3. Another option i...

Re: Can anyone help me with the IF function
Hello I'm trying to help my wife with simplifying her scheduling o employees. She uses 11 different time periods (1-11) some are worth the same amount of hours others are more or less. I can us seven functions to describe the period and the value of hours it is worth, but when I consolidate the functions i says the formula is invalid. I'm sure it can be fixed by one of you excel gurus! Here are the functions IF(B13<4,"7.75") IF(B13=4,"7.25") IF(B13=5,"6.25") IF(B13=6,"7.75") IF(B13=7,"6.75") IF(B13=8,"6.25") IF(B...

Help
Hi, i need to define a server side rule, which will copy attachments from received mails locally on PC/server. Any idea, scripts, anything? Tnx! Seems like ftp would be more appropriate than e-mail. But if you insist http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?spid=1773&query=event+sink+attachments&catalog=LCID%3D1033&pwt=false&title=false&kt=ALL&mdt=0&comm=1&ast=1&ast=2&ast=3&mode=a&x=18&y=11 HrVOjE wrote: > Hi, > > i need to define a server side rule, which will copy attachments from > received mails locally on PC/ser...

Formula Help #23
If I have a number in cell A1 like 5 and another number in cell A3 like 6 I want the number in A7 to show -1 and if cell A3 was 4 to read +1 and if the numbers are 2 away from A1 then the numbers in cell A7 would be -2 or +2 depending on the number in cell A3. All help is appreciated. Thanks Karl You must be kidding! =A1-A3 -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "Karl" <Karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21FB7D9E-DC79-42...

Percentage formula in Excel spreadsheet
Hi, In my spreadsheet cell E14 adds up E2 - E14 and cell C14 adds up C2 - C14. In G14 I have put a formula to show the difference between E14 and C14 as a Percentage ( formula for G14 is =SUM(E14-C14)/ABS(E14) ). When the Formula for G14 looks at E14 and C14 all it sees is a SUM formula to add up the column. Does anyone know how to solve this problem. Many thanks for looking. Rick Not sure I understand the problem; tell us what answer or error you ar getting. Also, don't you mean you are summing C2:C*13* in C14 and E2:E*13* i E14? Oh, and you can get rid of the Sum - this ...

Help Wanted...
I am looking to fill an entry level position within our company. We are a managed services provider in Dallas and have an immediate need for an entry level technician. If you know anyone who has some basic technical knowledge or aptitude and a willingness to learn, please forward this posting to them. I am primarily looking for someone who is capable and willing to learn more so than someone who has a lot of training and/or experience. This is an entry level position, but there will be a lot of opportunity for training and advancement. This position is full-time (contract to hire) and is avail...

I need help with My IF Statement....
I'm a college student and we are doing an assignment. I made it all th way to the end without any problems and now I'm stuck. The part I' stuck on involves using an IF Statement to determine whether or not bonus should be applied based on sales made. This will make much mor sense once you look at my workbook. I've got everything setup I jus need some help on where to put my numbers and formulas. If you think you can help me, reply to this thread or email me a ashbyb14@gmail.com. I can email you my workbook and instructions of what I'm suppose to d. Thank -- ash...

Using a txt string in formulae
Right this is an anoying little beggar but probably simple and im failing to see the wood from the trees so to speak ! right i have a workbook with multiple sheets and a front sheet the front sheet reports results of counts from the other sheets using =COUNT(sheet1!A:A) and =COUNTIF(Sheet1E:E,"Neg room") and other similair formula my question is this In column A i have the name of the sheet so I.E. A1=sheet1 which hyperlinks to the named sheet and columb B has the first formulae and so on and so on! my question is is there a way i can add the Word name of the sheet the Count form...

date reference
hi all, can a single cell accomodate TWO different DATES, and yet refer to them in formulas? i tried having in A1 [from 07/04/01 to 10/15/03] and by using right(left(a1,13),8) to extract data starting from 07/04/01, and right(a1,8) also to refer to end of period selected at 10/15/03. always i get a zero anwser or error. thanks for any help Hi what is the exact value in cell A1 and what are your exact formulas? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "excelFan" <excelFan@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3D423A44-6973-4A31-89B8-38321957...

Reference field in Distribution Query
Hi there, I am using GP10.0. While using Distribution Query, i have selected "Refrence" (8) as one of column. I expecting "Distribution Refrence" from General Ledger Entry should be populated. But i am not getting it. (It is showing Blank values in Excel. I am sure we are having Distribution Refrence in GL entries) Can you pls. let me know, Is my understanding correct? And also in Distribution Query how we can bring Distribution Refrence from G/L entries? Thanks, Loganathan S Logu, Distributioin reference field is available in GL10001 (GL_TRX_LINE...

HELP!! Repeating Text over multiple Pages
I created a template containing a title, picture, map, and text box. The text box in particular contains information pertaining to a specific location. I created a 131 individual files using that template and everything came out looking great (thanks Microsoft). I had to create 131 individuals files because we needed to have it backed up for our server at work. The problem I am having now is when I attempted to combine each of 131 files by copying and pasting them into 1 publisher file containing 131 pages. The title, picture and map all preserve their own information. HOWEVER, the in...

Formula Help #31
I have 12 columns in a spreadsheet. One for every month of the year. As each month is completed the data for that month goes in that column. I need a fromula in a specific cell that will return the value of the most recent column (month) that is filled in. So in July it returns the data for July but will return the data for August when a value is placed in that cell. Any suggestions? Thank you. Steve Hubbard Steve, To return the right-most value from row 2 (Assuming your data start starts in column A and extends to the right) use the array formula (entered with Ctrl-Shift-Enter): =IND...

Help! w/ Outlook 2000
Outlook will not save my password even though the box is checked and the password is in there it asks for it everytime I send/receive Please help If you are still having problems after applying both the SP 1 & 2 patches, then see if this article addresses your problemL OL2002: The Save Password Setting Is Not Saved When You Connect to a POP3 Server http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290684 --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Nicole <anonymous@...

Inter sheet formula won't format properly
Hi MS Excel 2003. I am writing a formula with a reference to a cell in another sheet, and Excel is behaving oddly. Sometimes it will give me the result, ie what is in the target cell, but sometimes it gives me the formula. The formula I am writing is simply ='2'!A22 thereby trying to get cell A22 from the sheet called 2. Why is Excel not always just giving me what's in the target cell? Sometimes all I can see is ='2'!A22. It's driving me nuts. I have looked at all the formatting options with no luck; I have toggled (using Ctrl`) the formula view with the norma...