Rank Function returns "#N/A"

Basically, I am using the Rank function on a column of cells with value
that are numbers.  However, in order to make the numbers look the wa
that I wanted, I used =TEXT(number,"#,##0").

I'm guessing that RANK does not work on numbers that have had thei
format changed by the TEXT() function.  Can anyone suggest a way aroun
this?

THANKS!  My first post

Hi,

Keep them as numbers and use custom format #,##0

jeff
cells with values
>that are numbers.  However, in order to make the numbers
look the way
>that I wanted, I used =TEXT(number,"#,##0").
>
>I'm guessing that RANK does not work on numbers that
have had their
>format changed by the TEXT() function.  Can anyone
suggest a way around
>this?
>
>THANKS!  My first post!
>

>---
>
>.

0
anonymous (74722)

Re: filter out all the #n/a...
I have done a vlookup in col(b), col(c) and col(d) i want to summarise column b,c,d in column E e.g if col b2 = #na, c2=#na, d2=300 then i want e2=300 if col b3 = 100, c2=#na, d2=#na then i want e2=100 how would i do this?? some sort of OR function? also is there a way to highlight/filter all the rows where b2=#na c2=#na, d2=#na ? this will tell me which rows that are not found in an of my vlookups -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If you are getting #n/a as a result of the vlookup statements, tr putting in the following formula. This will produce "Not found&qu...

How to make #N/A cells behave as if they were empty cells
Using Excel 2007 To make it simple, say that in A1:A5 I have one single formula that returns 1 2 #N/A 4 5 I need to plot a line chart made of 2 pieces, one going from 1 to 2, the other one going from 4 to 5. I want to see 2 lines, but I only have one series of data. If I delete the formula in A3 (that returns #N/A) it works fine. However, I cannot delete the formula and I see one single line. If my formula returns an empty string ("") or a blank string (" ") it gets no better. Is there anything I can do? Vicente - There's no way to mimic a truly blank cell with ...

How do I average a range of cells when one cell contains #N/A
I perform a lookup where the results could populate one cell or as many as 15 cells with number results. The cells that do not result in numbers have #N/A. I want to average the fifteen cells but only the cells with numbers. How do I get it to ignore the #N/A when performing the average? =AVERAGE(IF(NOT(ISNA(A1:A15 )),A1:A15)) which is an array formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter -- HTH Bob Phillips "hongkonglt" <hongkonglt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5EF99B0B-230F-47FE-A795-56C4E3B84C46@microsoft.com... > I perform a lookup where the re...

#N/A vs Blank Cells
Hi there, I have a excel file full of formulas and a connection to a BD program. I use it on two machines and on one it gives me results of incomplete formulas on a #N/A value, and on the other machine I have a simple blank cell. The only difference is that one machine as WinXP and the other have Win2000. Could this be the cause ??? Regards, Xalam It sounds like you might be using formulas from the Analysis toolpak. Make sure it's turned on for both PCs. Tools-->Addins and choose Analysis toolpak. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Xalam" <Xalam...

Replace #N/A with 0
When I use the vLookup formula and the result is #N/A, I need to replace this with a 0, is this possible in only one formula? Thanks in advance Regards Emece.- Something like: =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,B1:B2,2)),0,VLOOKUP(A1,B1:B2,2)) -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201001 "Emece" wrote: > When I use the vLookup formula and the result is #N/A, I need to replace this > with a 0, is this possible in only one formula? > > Thanks in advance > > Regards > Emece.- ...

Substituting #N/A
Hi all, I have a worksheet that records the status of various projects. The formula is dependent on another worksheet, and some of my colleagues have not filled this in, which then returns an #N/A in my project status cell. I would like for this not to be presented and instead simply have a message saying 'None Recorded' (or something along those lines). However, because I have a formula already in the cell, I'm not sure how to do this. The formula is as below: =IF(R105=E129,D129,IF(R103<E134,D133,IF(R103>E136,D137,D135))) Can anyone help me to accomplish my goal? TIA, ...

Simple VBA Code Working in Excel 2007 but not Excel 2003 #N/A
I have a fairly simple VBA subroutine that turns data labels on/off on a stacked bar chart as long as the value is not 0 or NA it turns on. The macro works perfectly in Excel 2007, but stops on the first #N/A value. The code stops on one of the following 2 simple commands. Series = Cells(RowNumStart + X - 1, SeriesCol).Value If WorksheetFunction.IsNA(Cells(RowNumStart + X - 1, ColNum)) Then What could be causing this. I have checked that the location in the Cells location is correct. Just as an FYI, this whole macro wasn't required in Excel 2007 because Excel 2007 won...

Help dealing with "#N/A" (in general, but specifically with VLOOKUP)
Are there some tips for handling the #n/a errors? They really screw u my spreadsheets, but sometimes the outputs are unavoidable. Wha irritates me most is that Excel doesn't seem to acknowledge them as an number, not even zero. For example, I may have a list of values that I want to add, and i there is a #n/a in the list, the summation will not work. Worse yet even a SUMIF doesn't seem to work. Are there ways to quickly remove, or have excel just put a zero in th cell instead? As for a specific problem, I am using VLOOKUP right now on an arra with 2000 items in column A. The arr...

Ignore #N/A in formula
Hi. I want to calculate the maximum number in a series of numbers. The series in column A might be 93, 94, #N/A, 85. I want to use the MAX(A:A) function to return the number 94. However, it returns the #N/A. How can I get it to ignore the #N/A? Thanks, Mike =MAX(IF(ISNUMBER(A1:A1000),A1:A1000)) Press ctrl/shift/enter - it's an array formula. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >Hi. I want to calculate the maximum number in a series of >numbers. The series in column A might be 93, 94, #N/A, >85. I want to use the MAX(A:A) function to return the ...

Replacing #N/A
I have a vlookup formula which returns a #N/A for some cells I a wondering if I can add a formula ontop of my vlooku ................... if #N/A is returned then replace with "0 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try this formula: IF(ISNA(vlookup formula), "0", vlookupformula) regards, Hans >-----Original Message----- >I have a vlookup formula which returns a #N/A for some cells I am >wondering if I can add a formula ontop of my vlookup >................... if #N/A is returned then replace with "0" > > >--- >Message posted ...

How to convert #N/A to 0 using Match?
Hi - - Here is my formula. What changes do I need to make to return a "0" instead of "#N/A"? =INDEX('Oct 09 Discrepancy'!$A$1:$C$875, MATCH("0120 Count",'Oct 09 Discrepancy'!$A$1:$A$875,), MATCH("Counts",'Oct 09 Discrepancy'!$A$1:$C$1,)) Try testing your formula with ISNA() =IF(ISNA(your_formula), 0, your_formula) If you are using Excel 2007 try =IFERROR(your_formula,0) best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "Wildwood" <Wildwood@discussions.micro...

#N/A error with VLOOKUP
My VLOOKUP was working fine, but now I have added some text boxes and pictures around the sheet itself. I have allowed for the extra column, but the VLOOKUP isn't working anymore. Does it not like pictures? I haven't included these in the area it is looking at, so it shouldn't get confused. Unlike me... -- Michelle Tucker Hi Michelle the #NA error can occur when the VLOOKUP has nothing to lookup ... so my first suggestion would be to check that the VLOOKUP is still referencing the correct cells in your workbook. if that doesn't help, please post your exact VLOOKUP sta...

Using Excel error #N/A in a formula
I would like to capture the error message #N/A in an IF statement Would like to use IF(MATCH(C1,Range,0)=#N/A,"OK","STOP") but it does not seem to work. What is the correct syntax to capture the #N/A error message and display "OK" instead of #N/A? =IF(ISNA(MATCH(C1,Range,0)),"OK","STOP") HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I would like to capture the error message #N/A in an IF statement. > >Would like to use IF(MATCH(C1,Range,0)=#N/A,"OK","STOP") but it does not seem to work. What is the...

#N/A Values : Returned by Formulas vs Entered Manually
Hello; When some cells of the data series have #N/A values returned by formulas, the corresponding chart fails. But if the #N/A values are manually entered into those same cells, the chart works fine !! To my understanding, Excel Charts treat cells with #N/A values as empty cells, so one may select the relevant chart option to "leave gaps", which is perfect. With this apparent different interpretation (by Excel Chart) of the same #N/A values in the data series, how can I make the #N/A values returned by formulas acceptable by the chart ?? Thank you for your help. The #N/A ...

Protecting/locking individual cells? + not displaying #N/A on cel
HI, My spreadsheet is using Vookup formulas and I would like to protect the cells with the formulas from others changing them but still alow the oter cells to be free . Such C1 free to place a number that will allow the protected B1 (which has the look up formulae) to have the resulting detail from the look up -locked/protected. ALSO- I have then copied the formulae down to the page and some cells will not have all the time an item in them so now they are showing the #N/A - can this be not displayed? Ta Mike On Sep 10, 8:47=A0am, MikeR-Oz <Mike...@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

From VBA, how do I test for a cell with value #N/A
For example, Cells(1,8) contains #N/A. The following VBA statement: If Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(1, 8).Value = "" Then gives a type mismatch error. Thanks for any suggestions. You could use the .text property: If Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(1, 8).Text = "" Then Or you could use: if iserror(worksheets("sheet1").cells(1,8).value) then 'do something with the error else if worksheets("sheet1").cells(1,8).Value = "" .... You might even be able to use: if isempty(worksheets("sheet1&...

Conditional format when #N/A
Hi, I have a Vlookup function in column H of a worksheet (which is written in code as part of a macro). I want to do conditional formatting if the vlookup result is #N/A (which I would also like to be part of my macro). I need to do this for all the cells in column H, not just one specific cell. In the worksheet, I may or may not have a #N/A to highlight. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED...as I have been trying to figure this out for 3 hours now. Thanks, Sara if(iserror(vlookup(blah blah blah),1,vlookup(blah blah blah)) basically, this changes teh result of the formula to 1 ...

can we hide #N/A display because of VLOOKUP
How can we hide displaying "#N/A" false indicator becasue of the normal function of VLOOKUP formula in a cell without disturbing its operation?. My formula stands like this at Sheet1!A1: =VLOOKUP(A1;Sheet2!A:C;2;FALSE) and when Sheet1!A1 is empty naturally I get a "#N/A" display. I want NO error messages displayed when the cell is empty. Can anyone comment? TIA Hi Zoom! Try: =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1;Sheet2!A:C;2;FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(A1;Sheet2!A:C;2;FA LSE)) -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function ...

Delete Rows with #N/A
Hello, How can I delele, in a VBA macro, all rows in Columns B & D that contains #N/A ? Thanks, Jeff, If that is the only error that you expect, and you have formulas returning the errors, then you could use the one liner: Range("B:B,D:D").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas, 16).EntireRow.Delete Of course, you would need an On Error Resume Next before that if it is possible that there aren't any errors. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FAE8B6A2-E69F-4113-943C-6F56EBB3FC30@microsoft.com... > Hel...

#n/a
I am using vlookup but some results are #n/a. How can i avoid it so that my sum formula will not show #n/a. Thanks Rechie =IF(ISNA(vlookup_formula),"",vlookup_formula) If you have Excel 2007 =IF(ISERROR(vlookup_formula),"") -- HTH Bob "Rechie" <Rechie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1950881D-723E-48A2-A87B-1564B5F3513A@microsoft.com... >I am using vlookup but some results are #n/a. How can i avoid it so that my > sum formula will not show #n/a. > > Thanks > > Rechie "Wrap&qu...

Help With #n/a From Vlookup
Hi, Can anyone help me please? I am doing a VLOOKUP against a Pivot Table which works fine, althoug if the value does not appear I get the Classic "#N/A" as a result! The Formula I'm using is VLOOKUP("total",'UK'!D:H,2,FALSE) but i doesnt appear how can I get it to return a "0". Please can anybody help me? Thanks Mark: -- certain_deat ----------------------------------------------------------------------- certain_death's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2456 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/show...

If formula and #N/A as a condition
The following formula is fine until I add the the third IF referencing cell AE2. Cell AE2 has a formula and when it equals #N/A I want my formula to return "delinquency" =IF(X2>=DATEVALUE("27/08/2005"),IF(X2<=DATEVALUE("26/09/2006"),IF(ISNUMBER(AE2),"xx","delinquency"))) Thank you for your help, Esther =IF(X2>=DATEVALUE("27/08/2005"),IF(X2<=DATEVALUE("26/09/2006"),IF(OR(ISNA(AE 2),NOT(ISNUMBER(AE2))),"delinquency","xx"))) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing d...

Excel 2007: Vlookup
in my results column, I have a series of #N/A where there is no result. Is there anyway to have that left blank unless there IS a value to return? Yes, "wrap" your VLOOKUP() in a test for the error. There is a specific test for the #N/A error: example formula that could return #N/A: =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!B1:Z1000,23,False) wrapped up to prevent the display: =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!B1:Z1000,23,False)),"",VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!B1:Z1000,23,False)) "ocean mist" wrote: > in my results column, I have a series of #N/A where there is no result. Is &g...

best way to sum a column with #N/a's?
what is the best way to sum a column (that i polulated by using vlookup that contains #n/a, positve and negative numbers i am currently doing =sumif(a1:a20,">0",a1:a20)+sumif(a1:a20,"<0",a1:a20) anyone know of a more effiecient wa -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com =sum(if(isnumber(a1:a20),a1:a20)) This is an array formula. Hit ctrl-shift-enter instead of enter. If you do it correctly, excel will wrap curly brackets {} around your formula. (don't type them yourself.) "sokevin <" wrote: > > what is the best way to sum a...

Avoiding #n/a cells
I have a few lookup formulas in range K18:K173 that are returning #n/a results. Those will disappear soon when data is entered in the data source. I'm trying to run summary totals, but the formula =SUMIF($K$18:K$173,B181,$J$18:$J$173) returns #n/a. How do I change this so that it ignores #n/a values in the range? Thanks. Hi Ferris you should change your lookup formulas in K18:K173. e.g. =IF(ISNA(lookup_formula),"",lookup_formula) HTH Frank Ferris wrote: > I have a few lookup formulas in range K18:K173 that are returning #n/a > results. Those will disappear soon whe...