Random Sampling in Microsoft Excell 2002

Hi, I'm trying to create a random sample using the Data
Analysis tool in Excell.  The problem I'm having is that I
can't figure out how to make a non-repeating sample.  I
want all the observations in the sample to be unique.  How
do I do this without manually deleting the repeat entries
on the output worksheet?
0
edseljoe (1)

next to the entries, put in the formula

=Rand()

then drag fill down the column.

Sort the data and this column with this column as the key.

Then take the top "n" items.

Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"EJ Ford" <edseljoe@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm trying to create a random sample using the Data
> Analysis tool in Excell.  The problem I'm having is that I
> can't figure out how to make a non-repeating sample.  I
> want all the observations in the sample to be unique.  How
> do I do this without manually deleting the repeat entries
> on the output worksheet?

0
twogilvy (1078)

Looking for an excel function which can mirror opposite the data
Dear sir, There are 2 data sets is assumed running in A1 down, viz.: From A1 down to A10, are showing a set of number: from 1 to 10 In the cell from B1 to B10, are showing from 10 to 1, which is decreasing from 10 to 1. My question: I want to know is there any excel formula which I can place in B1 and pick A10's number; B2 pick A9's number and etc. I know there is an easy way to do it, just type "=A10" in the cell of B1, but it is quite difficult to do it when I have more than 200 number, e.g. A1 to A200. Thanks for your advice, Wilchong -- Message posted via OfficeKB...

Analysis Cubes
What are the minimum requirements for using the Excel Addin for Analysis Cubes? Do you need to have GP installed to use the Excel AddIn? I have some users that need to access GP data, but I donot want to have to install GP on their Workstations, how do I do this? I am using GP version 8.0. See below for the requirements: 1. Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Server; Windows 2000 Service Pack 2; Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP; Windows XP Service Pack 1 2. To use the add-in with Analysis Services 2005, the following compone...

excel #159
How do I prevent 2 files from opening up when I click on one file? What two files are opening? If it looks like: book1.xls:1 and book1.xls:2 Then you actually only have one workbook open--but you have two windows to that single workbook opening. Click on the window you don't want anymore and hit ctrl-w to close that window. Then save the workbook. ======== If that's not it, maybe you have another workbook in a folder named XLStart. Use windows start button and search for XLStart. Then look in each of those folders for a workbook file (*.xls). Move it or delete it if you'r...

where do office 2000 (including excel of course) service packs go
where do office 2000 (including excel of course) service packs go. I don't know why they don't give you the option of downloading and saving them before installing the various program updates and service packs. This way whenever I do a fresh reformat of my computer, i need to spend hours getting all the updates again off of the internet, where as if I could save thme, I would just have to re-install. Any help would be appreciated Don't know about Office 2000......never used it, but Office Download center offers you the choice of installing or saving to install file to disk....

Number of wsheets in an excel workbook???
hey guys, how many wsheets does one excel workbook have? I need to have about 66 - is that possible? Thanks. Maria -- mariasa ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mariasa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31726 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=521656 Yes I have created a workbook with more sheets in it that that. obviously depending on the amount of data on each sheet your workbook could be getting quite large and possibly unmanageable! I guess you will have to try it! D...

moving text from a word document to excel
I'm moving a large amount of text from word documents to an excel spreedsheet, and I have a few questions: 1. When I copy/paste text from the document to the spreedsheet, the text will sometimes expand the cell very large. How can I keep all the cells the same size? 2. When I click on a cell that has text in it to read it, sometimes it will only show the text in a long downwards column, whereas other times it shows it as a big 'blurb' to the right side (which makes it easier to read). How can I set it up so it is not in a long column? 3. How can I insert cells without h...

Excel-Multiple Cells Being Hi-lited
Sometimes when I'm setting up a worksheet and I left-click in a cell, multiple cells in the same column are hi-lited. After it happens the first time, it continues as I move through the worksheet, reducing my ability to get work done considerably. After some trial and error, it seems to occur when I've been adding and/or deleting columns and/or rows, after a header has been installed. I can move throughout the worksheet using the arrow keys, but it is a time consuming and cumbersome technique. I think the version I'm using is Office Professional 2007 (file extensi...

Reporting Bugs to Microsoft
I have found a bug in Exchange 2003, does anyone know how I report this? Whats the bug? -- Mark Fugatt Microsoft Exchange MVP www.exchangetrainer.com www.msexchange.org "fatiefats" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:682EE703-4471-4D68-9359-CD32DD34DA9D@microsoft.com... >I have found a bug in Exchange 2003, does anyone know how I report this? I attempted to uninstall Exchange server. I need to do this because the domain controller was incorrectly installed. Anyway I am getting this message: Setup encountered an error while checking prereq...

memory problem of Excel 2003 copy & paste
Hi all, I am using Excel 2003 for some project. I am having 2GB C drive harddisk space. After a while, the Excel begins to be extremely slow in copy and paste... It takes about half an hour to copy and paste just a few cells... I've consulted people. It seems a memory problem. But I cannot close my windows and kill the processes, because I am running long-running (overnight) jobs... I cannot reboot either. Is there a way to clean the memory and let Excel 2003 clipboard function properly without rebooting or killing my 4 long-running processes? Thanks! p.s. I am sure this is an is...

in creating a pie chart in excel 2007
How many rows or columns of data can the pie chart plot I once tried 360 cells and got a wonderful Moiré pattern Why not just experiment with 1, 2, 3 dozen and see for yourself if the result is acceptable ? best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "bsalohcin" <bsalohcin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9CF7752-1816-4DCE-BF82-9C25033AE888@microsoft.com... > How many rows or columns of data can the pie chart plot According to MS:- Data series in one chart 255 (max limit) Data points in a...

Microsoft Word
I have created a new Microsoft Word Form and would like to insert at the bottom a simple button or link the user can press when the form has been completed which will automatically insert the completed form into an email(as an attachment) ready to be sent. How can I accomplish this? Thanks in advance. -- KPFDCO3 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ KPFDCO3's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/222188.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/ms-office-support/1338781.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

I need a list of command line switches for Microsoft WORD.
I am using a Shell command to execute Microsoft WORD 2003. I need to halt execution of VBA code until WORD finishes it's task. Is there a command line switch for WORD to cause it to pause the VBA function until it is finished? Is there a VBA command to pause execution of code until WORD finishes? Thanks. I am pretty sure the answer to your specific question is "No". If you tell us exactly what you are doing, including from where the Shell command is being executed, maybe we can suggest another way that will overcome the problem. -- Hope this helps. Please r...

Microsoft 60 Day Trial Key
Hi I have a new HP PC with Office 2007 Trial installed on it with an Activation Assistant that I click the 1 button to get a 60 Trial key. When clicking this I don't get a key but pop up message. "The Microsoft Office Activation Assistant was unable to request your trial activation key. Please check your Internet connection and try again. If the error continues, go to www.microsoft.com/office/pctrial2007 to request a trial activation key. " So i then goto website and click on the link which takes me to here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/products/FX101759...

How do I make a particular column required in Excel? #2
Our NPO is creating a reimbursement chart in Excel. We're trying to make it so that if employees do not fill in one particular column entitled "Projects," they will get an error or will be unable to have a final sum filled in. Is there any way I can make this particular column required so that if it is not filled in, the chart will not complete properly? Thank you in advance for any advice or help--I'm a bit of a novice to this! ...

Excel Events Conflict with VB and C# AddIns
Hi, I have two com addins running in Excel. One is written in VB and the other in C#. Both addins are interested in the Workbookopen event. When the event is triggered the c# code captures the event but the VB code does not. If i disable the c# addin then the vb code works. Looks like the c# addin is somehow blocking the vb events. Anyone know how to fix this? Many thanks, Andy There is only one WorkbookOpen event, so once one add-in hooks it, there is nothing for the other one to hook. If you are hooking the WorkbookOpen event in your add-ins, this is likely your problem. You may need...

Need help converting Microsoft Outlook calendar to Entourage.... At wits' end here! Please advise...
I have a Mac at work which runs Microsoft Outlook 2001 client on an Exchange server. I have a calendar on this machine (stored locally, not on the server) which has a ton of reminders programmed into it - very useful! Now, at home I got a new Mac laptop with Entourage X. Is there any way to move all of the reminders (appointments) from my calendar on Outlook to my Entourage calendar? I've tried two things: 1) I exported the calendar info as a CSV text file, and then tried importing it in Entourage. The problem is that Entourage import function seems to think it's importing an Address...

Portrait only printing in Excel
I have an interesting problem. I have a workstation (Dell Pentium IV XP PRO) that has Office 2k on it. When I/we try to print to a networked printer, the document will only print in portrait no matter what changes I make to page settings or printer settings. We are on Active Directory, so as long as the documents are submitted from a different computer, it will print fine. Any suggestions? This could be a complete waste of your time, but the first thing I'd try is to reinstall the printer driver. (maybe even get a fresh driver from the printer manufacturer's web site???) Howa...

VBA & Excel
Hi, I don't know a lot about VBA. I need to make an Exe file with VB to give 3 buttons each button starts an excel work book (book1, book2,book3). I am thinking of a form that appears on the screen. When the "Exit" button is cliked it will make an other copy of the 3 excel files on another folder (say: d:\data) for example (like a back up copy). Can any one help thanks Hi You can not make exe files with VBA. If you can use VB5 or VB6 instead then adapt the VBA code from http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/index.php?d=envbaolecontrolexcel see also http://www.erlandsendata...

Create Folders in Directory with Excel VBA?
Hi, Is there a way to create folders with a specfic names, and have them saved in a directory. I have an excel file with 250 records with my desired folder names. I want to avoid having to through the process of selecting <File | New | Folder> then naming the folder -- 250 times! I imagine there's an easier way with VBA... please help! Thanks It can be done something like this. Attatch code to a command button on the sheet. Alter code to suit your reqirements. Test on a dummy workbook first until you get it to work the way you want. Please note that there are practical lim...

copy and paste excel freeze
Hi, I am running Office 2003 in Windows 2000 Pro. try to copy the excel worksheet and paste to another new workshee takes long and the system seems freeze for a while b4 the process finish anyone have samme experience? ...

import paradox database into excel
I have a database written in programme called Paradox and I would like to fransfer it into Excel. You may find this a bit tricky, depending on the complexity of links between tables and queries within the original database. Tables hold information, and queries manipulate that data; if you need data that is the result of a Paradox query you will not, AFAIK, be able to import that to Excel. You'll have better luck if you need data from tables. In a quick web search I notice that converter software is available, which might be a fallback position in case on-board export capability withi...

Subtotal Lines in the wrong place Excel 2003
When nesting subtotals in Excel 2003, the subtotal lines are not in the correct position. Is there a fix or a work around for this problem? Example: Craft Code Crew Count BA Elec 1 BA Elec 1 BA Total 2 Elec Total 2 Hi AFAIK you should start with the subtotal for the right-most column and then add the other columns step by step -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "k2quayle" <k2quayle@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:FF252538...

Excel 97 Worksheet Protection and cell colour
Hi there, One of our users has setup a worksheet will a small range of cells that are locked (they have formulas in them), he then protects the sheet. He then wants to change the colour of some of the other cells, these cells are not locked, but he cannot change the colour of the cells. Is there an obvious solution? Cheers, Andy Hi AFAIK you can't do this in Excel 97 without first removing the protection -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany andy wrote: > Hi there, > > One of our users has setup a worksheet will a small range of cells > that are locked (they h...

Where has the data map tool gone to in Excel 2003?
Cannot find it in 2003. Was there in earlier versions of Excel. It's gone as of Exel 2002. Here is MS's statement and a link to another program for map making. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010346591033.aspx tj "macray" wrote: > Cannot find it in 2003. Was there in earlier versions of Excel. If it still resides on the hard drive, you can use it from later Excel versions, through the Insert Object dialog. But I think uninstallation is pretty good at wiping it out. In my case, I have multiple versions of Excel installed on one machine, so Excel 2003...