Question on saving a file.

Can you save a file in the same filename and still retain the earlier
revisions?   Someone accidently overwrote a file and should have kept the
earler versions.Is there something in Excel that I can turn on so my main
filename only changes with an extension, therefore keeping all my earlier
revisions? i.e. 'filenameX'.xls1 'filenameX'.xls2 so everytime I save it to
'filenameX', Excel is adding a new revision number automatically so I don't
loose revisions or accidentily wipe out good data.  Help!

Not that I am aware of.

If you want to keep earlier copies just give the later versions different
file names.

Thanks.

"Crissyb" wrote:

> Can you save a file in the same filename and still retain the earlier
> revisions?   Someone accidently overwrote a file and should have kept the
> earler versions.Is there something in Excel that I can turn on so my main
> filename only changes with an extension, therefore keeping all my earlier
> revisions? i.e. 'filenameX'.xls1 'filenameX'.xls2 so everytime I save it to
> 'filenameX', Excel is adding a new revision number automatically so I don't
> loose revisions or accidentily wipe out good data.  Help!
Go to tools, options, security and set your worksheet as a read-only.  When
they open it, they will be asked if they need to change it, or open as a read
only if they answer yes and do a save as, they will only be able to save as a
copy
--
Stacia

"Crissyb" wrote:

> Can you save a file in the same filename and still retain the earlier
> revisions?   Someone accidently overwrote a file and should have kept the
> earler versions.Is there something in Excel that I can turn on so my main
> filename only changes with an extension, therefore keeping all my earlier
> revisions? i.e. 'filenameX'.xls1 'filenameX'.xls2 so everytime I save it to
> 'filenameX', Excel is adding a new revision number automatically so I don't
> loose revisions or accidentily wipe out good data.  Help!
you can also try the following:

You can use AutoRecover to have Excel automatically save a backup copy each
time you save a workbook. The backup copy provides you with a previously
saved copy, so you have the current saved information in the original
workbook and the information saved prior to that in the backup copy. Each
time you save the workbook, a new backup copy replaces the existing backup
copy. Saving a backup copy can protect your work if you accidentally save
changes that you don't want to keep or delete the original file.

On the Tools menu, click Options.
On the Save tab, select the Save AutoRecover info every check box.
In the minutes box, type or select a number to specify the interval for how
often you want to save files.
The more frequently your files are saved, the more information is recovered
if there is a power failure or similar problem while a file is open.

--
Stacia

"stacia" wrote:

> Go to tools, options, security and set your worksheet as a read-only.  When
> they open it, they will be asked if they need to change it, or open as a read
> only if they answer yes and do a save as, they will only be able to save as a
> copy
> --
> Stacia
>

> "Crissyb" wrote:
>
> > Can you save a file in the same filename and still retain the earlier
> > revisions?   Someone accidently overwrote a file and should have kept the
> > earler versions.Is there something in Excel that I can turn on so my main
> > filename only changes with an extension, therefore keeping all my earlier
> > revisions? i.e. 'filenameX'.xls1 'filenameX'.xls2 so everytime I save it to
> > 'filenameX', Excel is adding a new revision number automatically so I don't
> > loose revisions or accidentily wipe out good data.  Help!
File/ Save As/ Tools/ General Options/ Always create backup
 will save a backup, so you will have one previous version, but the safest
bet is to save as a different file name each time.
--
David Biddulph

Crissyb wrote:
> Can you save a file in the same filename and still retain the earlier
> revisions?   Someone accidently overwrote a file and should have kept
> the earler versions.Is there something in Excel that I can turn on so
> my main filename only changes with an extension, therefore keeping
> all my earlier revisions? i.e. 'filenameX'.xls1 'filenameX'.xls2 so
> everytime I save it to 'filenameX', Excel is adding a new revision
> number automatically so I don't loose revisions or accidentily wipe
> out good data.  Help!

0
David
2/12/2010 6:24:37 PM
Stacia

You misunderstand what Autorecovery does.

It only makes temporary backups while working on a file.

When the file is closed without incident, the temporary backup is deleted.

See David's reply for how to make a backup when saving.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:50:01 -0800, stacia <stacia.hintz@wisconsin.gov>
wrote:

>you can also try the following:
>
>You can use AutoRecover to have Excel automatically save a backup copy each
>time you save a workbook. The backup copy provides you with a previously
>saved copy, so you have the current saved information in the original
>workbook and the information saved prior to that in the backup copy. Each
>time you save the workbook, a new backup copy replaces the existing backup
>copy. Saving a backup copy can protect your work if you accidentally save
>changes that you don't want to keep or delete the original file.
>
>On the Tools menu, click Options.
>On the Save tab, select the Save AutoRecover info every check box.
>In the minutes box, type or select a number to specify the interval for how
>often you want to save files.
>The more frequently your files are saved, the more information is recovered
>if there is a power failure or similar problem while a file is open.

0
Gord

Save button 07-06-07
How can I get the form to save data only by pressing the save button and not by closing the form. Also, when I click the save button I want the form to save the record and move on to a blank form ready for the next record and place the cursor in the first field. I also want the form to ask upon closing if I want to save the data if I haven't already saved it. Regards. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200707/1 On Jul 6, 7:26 am, "injanib via AccessMonster.com" <u35551@uwe> wrote: > How can I ge...

How do I remove ~WRL0000.tmp files?
Two days ago one of my MS Word folders I was working in started to accumulate a lot of ~WRL1234.tmp files. Usually these disappear after I leave the folder, but today they're still there. How can I delete them? And how can I reset things so they don't start accumulating again? Many Thanks. See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. Tim wrote: > Two days ago one of my...

Excel 2000 tries to open unrecognizable file on startup
Hi, For the last couple of weeks, when I first open Excel I get a Microsoft Excel Error pop-up window that says "This file is not in a recognizable format....". I am uncertain what file it is trying to open, but when I click "cancel" it opens books1.xls. Which I usually ignore and go into "open file" and pick my excel file. Any idea what is going on? Win98 Excel 2000 -- Thanks - Jeff Jeff I suspect one of two things 1) Excel opens all files in it xlStart folder. Search for this and remove anything without an .xls, xlt extension 2) If you go to Tools&g...

Exchange Crash -- all we have is the ispriv.edb file
Hello all -- A client of mine never did any exchange 2003 backups, but did copy over the ispriv.edb file over to an external USB harddrive. All we want to do is pull the email out of that directory (8GB file) and put it into .pst files. Then, Ill reinstall Exchange, and open each person's mail box and copy the contents of each .PST file back to the server. My question is: If I only have the ISPRIV.EDB file, how do I get mail out of it ? Is there some super cool easy to use tool for this? ;-) Any help appreciated!! Sincerely, Blake http://wm.quest.com/products/recoverymanage...

.pst file is maxed out - HELP
Apparently I have reached the maximum size of my outlook.pst file (see attached error message). I have tried deleting items but nothing I do seems to have any effect and I continue to get the attached error message. Therefore the eMail part of Outlook is disabled. Anyone got any pointers? XP Pro SP-2/Outlook 2003. Already using .pst format for database. Thanks, No image attached. Post a link, rather than an attachment. See http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.htm=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/o...

combine multiple excel file in to one excel file and multiple worksheet
I am wanting to use the following code to combine worksheets from multiple files. However I would like to be able to select folder which contains files in a more automated way that having to change the code every time, and also copy all worksheets with links and formulas removed. Any help on this is greatly appreciated as I have limited code knowledge. Sub Copy_them() > Dim TargetWkbk As Workbook > Dim mrgWkbk As Workbook > Dim i As Long > Dim Wks As Worksheet > Dim fName As String > Application.ScreenUpdating = False > Set TargetWkbk ...

how i can change default file format Outlook uses to save message
I my saving message in my inbox using "File->Save As" menu. "Save As.." dialog by default shows "Save As Type:" as "HTML". How I can change default file format Outlook uses to save messages to as "Outlook Message Format - Unicode" ?????? Rajkumar <Rajkumar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I my saving message in my inbox using "File->Save As" menu. > "Save As.." dialog by default shows "Save As Type:" as "HTML". > How I can change default file format Outlook uses to save messages...

recurrence question
I'm having a problem with recurring tasks. I created a task that I want to recur weekly (indefinitely). But when I look at my calendar by week, with my tasks beneath, this new recurring task shows up only on the current week's and next week's task lists. After that, nothing. This happens whether nor not I have marked this week's task complete, or have a reminder. If I go out three weeks, I can create the task again, but it then shows me that week and the next week - basically, I can't get it to recur for more than two weeks. I don't want to use regenerate, because...

Macro Question
I am familiar with the Macro tool. Where I fall down is when I attempt to have it go to a cell that changes from sheet to sheet. As an example, I want it to highlight all of the cells on a sheet with data and format the font size and color. The first two rows are always in bold, but everything else is not. Each month the data changes so the list varies, thus the problem. My recorder picks up the first and last cell I went to the last time I used it, so I need it to seek the last cell with data (whatever that may be each month) without having to rewrite the macro. Any ideas for a "one-siz...

questions for an interview
i'm not a developer but need to interview some people to help out with some CRM customizations. I'm thinking a Uni-grad who will self learn. small business simple stuff. What skills should i be looking for in the person? It depends on the type of customizations you're looking for: Form Customization - JavaScript/JScript development (Note that I'm not talking about JAVA) - Dynamic HTML (Internet Development) - AJAX and XML (optional, for calling CRM web services) Server-Side (Callout development, Custom Workflow Assemblies) - Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 / Visual Studio 200...

Mpeg Video file
Please help. When I copy and paste an Mpeg movie file / AVI file into my Publisher 2000 system i can then right click and "Change Object", "Media Clip" and "Edit" this allows me to seardch through the video to find the still frame i want and have this then inserted into the document. This works fine on my computer but on my friends computer does not work, the publisher version is the same and the imported video is the same, when he attempts to do the same it comes up with Change package and does not allow him to edit the video at all, I think there must be ...

Missing file still....
I tried running detect and repair and reinstall. Outlook still looks for sku1ca.cab file .... Someone please HELP. -Kyle did you have different versions or suites of office installed? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com "Kyle" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1b9fc01c420fa$8a7ce410$a401280a@phx.gbl... >I tried running detec...

My excel file is too large (5 mb) when it shouldn't be, why?
I have an excel file has ballooned in size for some reason. I have tried to copy all the cells and then used "paste special" to paste just the values and the file size doesn't reduce. I am copying numbers from an investment website into my spreadsheet and there don't appear to be any issues with the pasted cells but I suspect it is causing the file size expansion and very slow performance. I then deleted all the cells around by spreadsheet and it didn't help at all. All suggestions as to how I can fix this problem appreciated. Kenview If you do a Ctl-End, does...

Save As DBF
Saving files as .dbf has been omitted from Excel 2007. My GIS staff use this quite extensively. What are other GIS users using to create the DBF files since 2007 can not make them? Access can make the DBF files, you just end up two stepping it. Niteschool wrote: > Saving files as .dbf has been omitted from Excel 2007. My GIS staff use this > quite extensively. What are other GIS users using to create the DBF files > since 2007 can not make them? Niteschool wrote: > Saving files as .dbf has been omitted from Excel 2007. My GIS staff use this > quite extensively. W...

Why does Excel ask to save when no changes were made?
This does not pertain to a new document. I open an existing document just to look at it, and when I go to close it, Excel asks if I want to save the document. No changes were made, so it shouldn't have to be saved. It's annoying. Mike One explanation could be that there is a time formula in a cell that has updated on openeing so the worksheet will have changed. -- Mike When competing hypotheses are equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. Occam''''s razor (Abbrev) &...

Outlook client for CRM V3
We have a client who has users who want to make changes to the 'my contacts' local data group, so they sync their Outlook contacts with CRM. They all use the desktop client. But the save button is greyed out. They have a CRM role assigned with the Outlook sync permission and they have local admin rights. I've also checked they have write permissions to the C:\Documents and Settings\User.Name\Application Data\Microsoft\MSCRM folder and it's subfolders. What else could be disabling the save option? Becuase My Contacts is a default group, I don't think you can make c...

backup file size
I've noticed that my backup file size varies considerably. Sometimes its very close to the origonal file size and sometimes its more than 25% larger. Why? In microsoft.public.money, jerry wrote: >I've noticed that my backup file size varies >considerably. Sometimes its very close to the origonal >file size and sometimes its more than 25% larger. Why? You probably did not set Tools->Options->MakeMyFileSmall... "jerry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:079001c39eb1$491ea150$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I've noticed that m...

how to produce a csv file from a unicode-saved text file
Friends, I have an excel spreadsheet (version 2000) that has Japanese characters. I would like to save it as unicode text file so that I can FTP it to my unix box for loading into an Oracle database. When I save the file as unicode text, it properly preserves the characters, but using whitespace as the delimiters. I would like to change this to a csv, but when I save as the file as CSV, the Japanese characters turn into set of ?? symbols. Is there any way around to create the unicode text file with delimiters other than whitespace? Thanks for any ideas. - Sal ...

Can I import a .pdf file into publisher
I tried to copy and paste from InDesign and it did not work. Can you import any type of file into publisher. Example: .pdf or .eps No. Publisher is pretty much a stand all by itself program. If you can't copy and paste into it, you're kind of sorely out of luck. You can put pictures into a Pub file but you can't go back and edit the individual parts of them, such as text. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Graphix grl" <Graphixgrl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88493145-8B59-4131-AD33-C916D22CF63C@microsoft.com... >I tried...

Blocked and safe senders file in Outlook 2003
Hi, I am wondering where outlook 2003 saves the address that you add to the safe sender/recipient and blocked sender list. Outlook XP saved the junk senders in a file called "Junk senders" in C:\Documents and Settings\my_id\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook I used to backup that file, so I would like to know where Outlook keeps the file now. Thank you The lists are kept in binary values in the Windows registry and also in a hidden item in the mail store (mailbox or PST file). Both lists are kept in one multivalued property although no one has decoded it yet, the bits also s...

Money 2004
I just installed Money 2004 on a new computer. I copied my data directory over and would like to open my existing MNY file. File-Open let's you select the file and then starts a Wizard. As soon as I click Next, Money crashes with the "Money must close" message. Not cool. Any ideas? Anytime you experience unexplained issues like this, you should first run the salvage tool to make sure there is no corruption in your file. If the error keeps happening, then post the problem here. L utz" wrote: > I just installed Money 2004 on a new computer. I copied my da...

open a new instance of excel for each file ? (Vista / Seven)
Hi people, How under Vista & Win7 can we open a new instance of excel for each file ? thx a lot people. ...

question about a code to "save as"
i have a command button on a spread sheet that, when clicked, will sav the spread sheet in a folder and name it, depending what is in certai cells. my problem is where i want it saved. right now, i have all spread sheets being saved into one certai folder, but i would like the spread sheet to be saved into a folde that is specified in cell d2. this is the code i have now. Sub Save_As_FileName() FName1 = Range("d2").Value FName2 = Range("d3").Value FName3 = Range("d5").Value FName4 = Range("d6").Value Fname5 = Range("d7").Value pth = "f:...

HTML link to a specified worksheet within a excel file
From an HTML page I would like to add a link to an EXCEL file but on a specific worksheet? I s this possible Thanks ...

error when opening large file
Hi, I am trying to open a large file in Publisher 2002, and Publisher just closes right up. ANy clues? How large is large? Do you get any error message? Did you create this file or was it passed on to you? -- JoAnn Paules - MVP Microsoft Publisher "sherri" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1d10701c4229e$127b63b0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, I am trying to open a large file in Publisher 2002, > and Publisher just closes right up. > > ANy clues? Have you got the garbage trash junk Symantec Norton installed? If you have, RE-move/UN-i...