Querying Excel data without another program

Hello,

I'm an intermediate user of Excel, but I have lots of experience using
Access.  If you can give me clues on how to handle the information below
using only Excel, I'd be grateful!

I have a spreadsheet in Excel 97 in which there's a Worksheet named,
"Datasource"  with a column "B" containing repetitive data.

I'd like to create a new worksheet in the same Excel file which shows a
single instance of each item used in Column "B".

If I were writing the query in SQL, I'd say

"SELECT DISTINCT [Column B]
FROM [MySpreadsheet]![Datasource];"

Is there a way to do this in Excel?  Using an SQL-type of query, perhaps?
Or, using a menu-driven routine within the program? Or, some other method?

Thanks for any help you can lend!

Sincerely,
Don Hicks
Portland, OR

0
dhicks (2)

You can use an Advanced Filter to extract the unique values. There are
instructions here:

   http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#FilterUR

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
2/20/2004 5:02:23 PM
Yes, you can query am Excel workbook as a Jet data source (an MS
Access database is a Jet data source) using ADO. However, I disagree
with your SQL. It should look like this:

SELECT DISTINCT B
INTO [Excel 8.0;Database=C:\MyWorkbook.xls;].MyNewSheet
FROM [Excel 8.0;Database=C:\MyWorkbook.xls;].[Datasource$B:B]

You should be able to run this from any MS Access query designer. If
you connect to the workbook you can remove the [Excel 8 etc] info.

--

"Don Hicks" <dhicks@mesd.k12.or.us> wrote in message news:<#dT5r789DHA.4020@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> Hello,
>
> I'm an intermediate user of Excel, but I have lots of experience using
> Access.  If you can give me clues on how to handle the information below
> using only Excel, I'd be grateful!
>
> I have a spreadsheet in Excel 97 in which there's a Worksheet named,
> "Datasource"  with a column "B" containing repetitive data.
>
> I'd like to create a new worksheet in the same Excel file which shows a
> single instance of each item used in Column "B".
>
> If I were writing the query in SQL, I'd say
>
> "SELECT DISTINCT [Column B]
> FROM [MySpreadsheet]![Datasource];"
>
> Is there a way to do this in Excel?  Using an SQL-type of query, perhaps?
> Or, using a menu-driven routine within the program? Or, some other method?
>
> Thanks for any help you can lend!
>
> Sincerely,
> Don Hicks
> Portland, OR
0
onedaywhen (103)

New to excel

Looking for Excel Help

Excel button problem

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Excel 97 #9

learning Excel #3

Pulling data from separate tabs

nested OR in queries
I have a table that has 20 date fields for each record. I need to select any record that has a matching date in at least one of those fields so it becomes a huge OR in a query and I have noticed that I am limited to 9 in a query. Is there a way to do this efficiently or will I need multiple queries to test all 20 date fields? If your table uses multiple date fields, the first thing you'll want to consider is coming up with a new table! In a spreadsheet, adding 20 date fields may be the only way to handle a situation, but you won't get the best use of Access' features and funct...

data sort

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook

predict future data

Excel VBA