putting a column of names into alphabetical order

I have collected data with names against dates and treatments and wish to
rearrange the spreadshett into alphabetical order by name.
 Some names have spaces in the name column as there may be multiple entries
of other date in other columns.
I have merged and centred these cells in the "name" column.
I still get "cant merge". Have excel2003. maybe I should take my work home
and see if 2007 excel can do the job

You shouldn't need to merge the cells to sort them.  Hopefully you still have
an original, unmerged, copy of the data.

Simply select all columns with data in them and the use Data-->Sort and
choose to sort them by the name column, all the other related columns will
"follow" along with the correct names.

I'm not certain why you're getting a "can't merge" message, but when you try
to merge 2 or more cells with data in both of them, Excel will basically want
to delete the data from all but 1 of the cells.

"ElGordo" wrote:

> I have collected data with names against dates and treatments and wish to
> rearrange the spreadshett into alphabetical order by name.
>  Some names have spaces in the name column as there may be multiple entries
> of other date in other columns.
> I have merged and centred these cells in the "name" column.
> I still get "cant merge". Have excel2003. maybe I should take my work home
> and see if 2007 excel can do the job

How to MATCH value up a column
I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA! Hi I don't know what you are looking for, but see: MATCH(A2,A1:F1,0) or VLOOKUP(A3,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE) -- Please click "yes" if this post helped you! Greatly appreciated Eva "DevourU" wrote: > I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA! Thankx for the reply. Here is my formula:=IF(A11>A10,C10,(IF(A11=A10,A10,"?"))). I need to have IF(A11<A10, search up column A for 1st match, example A4, display next column B4. Clear as mu...

How can give the same name to a row or column in different sheets.
I have sheet that does that. It has the same name for similar ranges, only they are specific to the sheet, but I don't seem to be able to do it When you wish to create a WS specific (local) named range, Select the range, Click in the "name box", And enter the sheet name *before* the range name, followed with an exclamation point. Sheet1!myrange Sheet2!myrange If you know ahead of time that you will need locally named ranges, you could create them on a single WS, then, you can copy this sheet, where each copy will then already contain it's own locally named ranges. -- HTH...

numbers to left of column A
I am using MS Office 2002 with XP OS and have an Excel workbook with worksheets in it. Two of these worksheets have the numbers 1 and 2 t the left of the A column. What does this mean and how do I use them o get rid of them? Thanks ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com You have some grouped rows. If you Expand the groupings (Data, Group and Outline, Show Detail) you will see that rows have been grouped together and you can hide whole groups of rows with one...

Check Names
Why does the subject button give me the option of the "business fax" for an email address? How do I send out 100 emails and make each one appear personal? Thanks The Subject button? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Clifford Smith" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:346201c3ad1e$59277c90$3101280a@phx.gbl... > Why does the subject button give me the option of > the "business fax" for an email address? > > How do I send out 100 emails and make each one appear > personal? > > Thanks ...

Despite formatting a column in Excel 2002 worksheet as Short Date.
Having created a column formatted as a date in a 2002 Excel spreadsheet the column a figure which seems to be the number of days from a date in 1900. It is recognised as a date in both the formula bar at the head of the spreadsheet and when the cursor is moved over the field. I have looked at all the options but cannot see anything that will change this. Can you please help Pete It sounds like you toggled the formula view (nice for debugging worksheet formulas). Tools|options|View tab|uncheck formulas. On my USA keyboard, I can toggle this setting with ctrl-` (control-backquote (the k...

How to change the drive boot order by code?
Hi, I need to force a PXE boot so I need to change the boot priority. I know boot order depends on BIOS, but how can I change it by code? Thanks, How to change the drive boot order by code? On Nov 18, 3:39=A0pm, Javier C=E0ceres <JavierCce...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I need to force a PXE boot so I need to change the boot priority. I know > boot order depends on BIOS, but how can I change it by code? > > Thanks, > > How to change the drive boot order by code? In which part of your code are you going to do it? Anything is...

Must assign drive letter to hidden partition in order to Hibernate (win 7 x64)
Hi Folks, My machine is unable to hibernate: when I try, it cranks the HDD for 10-15 seconds, beeps, and then brings me to the login screen (it's as if i've just locked my screen). If I assign a drive letter to the win 7 hidden partition, hibernation works again. I can un-assign the drive letter in the same session, and hibernation still works. Upon reboot however, hibernation returns to its broken state. If this issue is a symptom of a basic problem somewhere, there might be other symptoms as well: bcdedit doesn't find the bcd store unless I assign a drive letter t...

Removing certain things from 1 column
I can't figure out how to remove a specific thing from my column.. have mailing addresses with number and street name in column a, cit and state in cloumn b and mailing zip in column c... The zip cod came in in zip+4 format... so it reads 91206-4695. The entire coloum is like that and I wanted to know i there was any way to remove the -4695 through out the records. Not al the of the zip codes are the same but they all contain the - with numbers after. Is there any way to get rid of this -- ABASSANETT ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ABASSAN...

Changing the domain name for outbound mail
My company recently acquired another company. Management wants all outbound mail for the acquired company to reflect the new identity. So outbound mail should say user@newcompany.com instead of user@oldcompany.com The acquired company is running Exchange 2003. How does one go about this? Thanks, configure the appropriate MX/A records for the new domain, and a recipient policy to accept email for that domain...you can use AD modify to add the new address to everyone's mailboxes and set it as primary...when the address is configured as the primary one, it will appear as the addr...

Add more column in existing report
Hello Everyone. Is there anyway to add more column from database table into existing report? Which tool do I have to use to modify RMS report? Please be advised. thank you very much in advance. Yes you can. You need a very specialized tool in order to modify the RMS ..qrp report files....what for it....Notepad. Look at a few of the reports to get an idea of how they are setup. You just need to add the column using the same format and make sure the column's table is added correctly to the query. Robert Amstrong RMS Systems Inc "Alex" <blacksky80@gmail.com>...

previous owner's name
I purchased a used computer and now when I send email attachments the "from" shows the previous owners name. I am also receiving that person's email. I do not know how to correct this. What version and mode of outlook? See Help, About if unsure. In many cases, you can go to control panel, mail. Delete the accounts and create new ones. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Search for answers: http://groups.google.com Most rece...

POP3/SMTP server name
Anyone lnow the server name for a POP3 account? If you mean for a Live.com account, see http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!CC9301187A51FE33!49799.entry Use port 587 rather than port 25 for the SMTP server. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen "Post32" <Legionpost32@live.com> wrote in message = news:edxBF3UcKHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Anyone lnow the server name for a POP3 account? The server is named Janice. Post32 wrote: > Anyone lnow the server name for a POP3 ac...

Exporting Names and Addresses to Outlook
Hey there. From Outlook, I have tried to import data from Excel into a Contacts list...but when I go to do so, an error message in the Outlook Import/Export Wizard pops up telling me to name the range of data in Excel I'd like to import. When I go to Excel and search the help menu, nothing works.... Help help! Cindy > Hey there. Hello. > > From Outlook, I have tried to import data from Excel into > a Contacts list...but when I go to do so, an error message > in the Outlook Import/Export Wizard pops up telling me to > name the range of data in Excel I'd like...

OL 2002 Lists Multiple Names per Contact When Addressing Emails
Sorry if this question has been asked before but I have not been able to resolve or find relevant solution. When addressing an email in IMO OL 2002 its lists multiple instances per contact when the contact has more than one email address. Fax numbers are also some how liste but don't know why. IN IMO OL 2000 only the default email address was listed when addressing emails. Is there a setting somewhere or software that I could buy for OL 2002 to make it behave like 2000? The following information is an excerpt from 289467 User Profiles and Information Services http://support.micr...

cannot open purchase order
when trying to open a PO, received message: You cannot open this purchase order since it is currently saved in a purchasing batch. Please select another purchase order. any advice? It's apparently been selected in a Receiving transaction. Find the receiving line that is for the PO and delete the line or the entire receipt. -- Charles Allen, MVP "HFLo" wrote: > when trying to open a PO, received message: > > You cannot open this purchase order since it is currently saved in a > purchasing batch. Please select another purchase order. > > any advice?...

Alphabetize Macros in a module
Hi All........ I have a module with nearly 100 small macros in it. Is there any way to automatically alphabetize their order in the module by their name? TIA Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 Hi Clr, > I have a module with nearly 100 small macros in it. Is there any way to > automatically alphabetize their order in the module by their name? Get hold of MZ tools, it has an option to sort them. http://www.mztools.com/v3/download.aspx Regards, Jan Karel Pieterse Excel MVP http://www.jkp-ads.com Hello Jan Karel..... I responded to you post the other day but s...

Display Name sorting issue
I have a need to sort a bunch of users and groups to the bottom of the Address List in Exchange. I can prefix the Display Name with an underscore to force an item to the top of the list, but what can I do to sort them to the end of the list. there are two situations where I need this. One is schedulable resources (we are using AutoAcceptAgent) which I need to see in the address list, but I want them below all the general users, not above. If I hide them from Exchange Address Lists then they don't show up in the Resources list either. And because they are Users, they show up in the ...

550 relaying to <name@???.com> prohibited by administrator
Since updating Outlook 2003 I keep getting "550 relaying to <name@???.com> prohibited by administrator". I thought it was originally some security setting which checked my contacts to see if the address is in my contacts as some email addresses work and some didn't. After adding them into my contacts it seemed to work for a while and now its intermittent. One day I would reply to the email and its sends o.k. next time it fails with the above error message. Other colleges in the office are not getting this problem but they haven't updated outlook. I have search...

alphabetize a list
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Is there a way to alphabetize a list that is just typed in as text, with hard return at end of each phrase? Thee list is not in table or mail merge format. Hi, this can be done in Word, but the option is well hidden. Select your text, then click on Table>Sort, and you'll be given the possibility to enter your sorting criteria. On 14/01/10 16:47, yoshore@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: > Intel Is there a way to alphabetiz...

Exchange 2010 period in netbios domain name
Hello, we just try to upgrade to Exchange 2010 and after installing the first client access server we notice that the EMC failed initializing with the following error (with admin account of course): ------------------ The following error occurred when getting user information for 'netbios domain\username': The operation couldn't be performed because the object 'netbios domain\username' couldn't be found on 'domain controller'. It was running the command 'Get-LogonUser. The username it is looking up is mine and I have full administrative ...

adding space between columns in a chart
I am trying to customize a chart and I need to have a group of three lines (for pre-test days) then a space followed by a single line for the test day. I need to be able to accomplish this but also have a legend for these. have you tried having an empty cell in your data series for the space? "merritaf" wrote: > I am trying to customize a chart and I need to have a group of three lines > (for pre-test days) then a space followed by a single line for the test day. > I need to be able to accomplish this but also have a legend for these. ...

Account order relationship is hard coded to system. How to change
When the Account owner is changed, all the Orders (even previous orders owned by other usres) get assigned to the new owner of the account. I wanted to change the Account - Order Relationship to configurable cascading: User owned. However, the relationship type is SYSTEM. User cannot change the relationship type. This has been a big nuisance as the people who process orders are different from the Account owners. Reassigning accounts to new sales people has been a nightmare because it assigns all the existing orders to the new user. Is there any work around to change this relationship? Ac...

hyperlink to a specific excel column
Hello - I am trying to create a hyperlink in excel, that when clicked will open another excel sheet and highlight, or direct focus to a specific column. Any ideas on how this can be done using basic excel functionality or by writing a simple macro? Example: Hyperlink = Results/myresults.xls ---I want to go to column J. Thx, rleach Another sheet in same workbook........... Right-click on cell and "Hyperlink" From dialog select "place in this document" Select the sheetname and type a cell address in the address box. If, on the other hand, you want to link to a colu...

Referencing column to row across worksheets
I have a column of numbers in one worksheet that I want to use in a row of another sheet as a relative reference. Changes in the first sheet should affect the second. How do I do this? Try the below in Sheet2 and copy across....with data in Sheet1 A2:A10.. Adjust the range to suit =INDEX(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$10,COLUMN(A1)) -- Jacob "LZCenter" wrote: > I have a column of numbers in one worksheet that I want to use in a row of > another sheet as a relative reference. Changes in the first sheet should > affect the second. > > How do I do this...

XY Scatter Chart with X-axis displays the Category Name
Hi, i am having data like this Code - Qty X - 100 Y - 500 Z - 700, i would like to plot xy scatter graph like in which, X axis shows, all code name i.e X,Y,Z and Y axis shows the values, is it possible ? You've described a line chart. Line charts can use arbitrary labels as X values, while an XY chart requires numeric values. In either type of chart, the series formatting can be the same (e.g., XY charts with lines connecting the points and Line charts with no lines). In this respect, the terminology is confusing. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Cus...