Provide a way to turn off auto-checking excel formulas as I type t

I am constantly running into this horrible design decision to auto-check
excel formulas as they are typed.  I type in formulas, then add parentheses
from the right hand side back to the left to make certain of the calculation
orders.  Every time I put in a close paren and then move backwards to add the
opening paren, Excel interrupts me and pops up a dialog telling me my formula
is broken..... WHILE I AM STILL TYPING IT.  The worst part is that it
requires two clicks of non-default options that alternate positions (i.e. I
have to move the mouse t the correct button two separate times) in order to
there is, and it still does this.  GIVE ME A WAY TO TURN THIS OFF!

I've never experienced this problem.

How are you entering your formulas? Are you typing them in the formula
bar, or directly into the cell, or are you using the Insert Function
dialog box?

Can you show an example of the type of formula you're entering?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
3/23/2005 2:32:15 AM
I wrote out exactly how it happens in my first post.

I type out the formula first, then, with my cursor at the end of the
formula, I add parentheses from the right side of the formula to the left
side. This means I add closing parentheses before I add opening parentheses.
As soon as I cursor backwards past the closing paren, Excel triggers its
"invalid formula" function.

This is how I've entered formulas in excel since windows 3.1, and it's how I
think and see formulas.  No previous version of excel has kicked up a fuss
about it, only now they're trying to get "smarter", and they're completely
bolloxing my productivity.

0
ikariusrb (3)
3/23/2005 2:57:02 AM

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

> I've never experienced this problem.
>
> How are you entering your formulas? Are you typing them in the formula
> bar, or directly into the cell, or are you using the Insert Function
> dialog box?

A simple example which shows the problem- in the cell type "=5-1*6", then
use the left arrow key to move backwards, add a right paren after the 1- so
it becomes "=5-1)*6", then use left arrow to move to the left, so you could
add an open paren at the beginning of the formula.  As soon as you move to
the left of the close paren, the formula checker triggers.

I haven't found any way to turn this off with the options in excel 2003.
0
ikariusrb (3)
3/23/2005 3:03:02 AM
Thanks for explaining further.

After you type the formula, and before you press the arrow key, press
the F2 key.
You should see the word "Edit" in the status bar, at the bottom left of
the Excel window.

While you're in Edit mode, you should be able to move through the
formula, without the error messages.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)
3/23/2005 3:12:08 AM

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

> Thanks for explaining further.
>
> After you type the formula, and before you press the arrow key, press
> the F2 key.
> You should see the word "Edit" in the status bar, at the bottom left of
> the Excel window.
>
> While you're in Edit mode, you should be able to move through the
> formula, without the error messages.
>
> ikarius_rb wrote:
> > I wrote out exactly how it happens in my first post.
> >
> > I type out the formula first, then, with my cursor at the end of the
> > formula, I add parentheses from the right side of the formula to the left
> > side. This means I add closing parentheses before I add opening parentheses.
> > As soon as I cursor backwards past the closing paren, Excel triggers its
> > "invalid formula" function.
> >
> > This is how I've entered formulas in excel since windows 3.1, and it's how I
> > think and see formulas.  No previous version of excel has kicked up a fuss
> > about it, only now they're trying to get "smarter", and they're completely
> > bolloxing my productivity.
> >

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
> http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Thank you very much, that does it!

0
ikariusrb (3)
3/23/2005 7:13:02 AM
You're welcome!

> "Debra Dalgleish" wrote:
>
>>Thanks for explaining further.
>>
>>After you type the formula, and before you press the arrow key, press
>>the F2 key.
>>You should see the word "Edit" in the status bar, at the bottom left of
>>the Excel window.
>>
>>While you're in Edit mode, you should be able to move through the
>>formula, without the error messages.
>>
>>ikarius_rb wrote:
>
> Thank you very much, that does it!

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)

Convert Excel Tables to Pivot Table Lists
Excel Tables to Pivot Lists Hello, I'm trying to convert excel tables into pivot table lists and I am looking for a method to do this besides cutting and pasting. The table has 6 columns (see below) with count of product for each year e.g. xxx1 prod1 100 in Yr1, 200 in Yr2, 300 in Yr3 etc. I want to end up with a 4 column list like, (see "Get into pivot table list in this form) Thanks Home....Prod....Yr1....Yr2....Yr3....Yr4 xxx1.....prod1....100....200....300....400 xxx2.....prod2....110....210....310....410 xxx1.....prod3....120....220....320....420 xxx2.....prod4....130....2...

Excel not Access

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

function to check for entry
I'll try and make this as clear as I can... I am looking for a function that will check column b,c,d,e for an entr if there is an entry then check row n in the same row for it's value. that's the first bit, then I need to be able to check the date valu (month) in column a and total it for the month. perhaps I could run the first function only looking for month=1 o something and just run it 12 times? not sure how to go about this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com well I've got this far but it still doesn't work and gives an error: =IF(MONTH(A3:A167)=4,...

applying auto archiving
Hello evryone. I am not a sys admin or a programmer. My company is short on cash. So I am trying my best for the past 2 weeks to find a solution for auto archiving for all 200 mailbox users that we have. I have implemented a GPO to apply settings for auto archiving but the problem we have is that the archive.pst is still locall. I have researched online and foung that CDO can help view the hidden "IPC.MS.Outlook.AgingProperties" and alter it and this CDO can loop nd perform the same task for all folders within a user’s mailbox. I would like some help with this please. I know t...

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Excel 2007

formula based on format

Need help with Auto Filter