Protect sheet #3

I am working on an Excel document witch is a big database. I would like to
set a password with the "protect sheet" option in the Tools/Protection menu.
"Normal" users who will open the database won't be able to edit the
document, but will rather open it in "read only" mode.
The problem is that I still want these users to be able to use the "auto
filter" and also use the "sort A-Z" option. I have tried to select these
options in the configuration of the protection (protect sheet window) but it
doesn't work. I can't do any of those two things; I can only move the cursor
in the document.

Can someone could tell what do I do wrong in the setup of the protection?

thanks

0
assd (1)

I think that either the cells in the range to be sorted have to be unlocked or
have to be able to have the user edit the range (via that password).

But the data|filter|autofilter worked with locked and unlocked cells.

A couple of workarounds:

Create a macro that unprotects the worksheet, does the sort, and reprotects the
worksheet.

Let the user run the macro to do the sort.

===

When you save the file, give it a nice password to open to modify.  If the other
users don't know the password, they can still open it in readonly mode.

They can make as many changes as they want, but can't save the file in place.

Be aware that they can save it elsewhere, delete your original, and put their
copy in its place, though.

In xl2002+, it's:
File|SaveAs|Tools|General Options|

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

How Do I Save an Excel Sheet on Internet Explorer?
There is an excel sheet on my webpage, and I want it so the user ca save once they are done using the form, however... When the user tries to save, a box pops up saying "This sheet i readonly." How can I overcome this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Your Internet provider must have Frontpage Server extensions running on the server if you want that. -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "kenji4861 >" <<kenji4861.1264u3@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:kenji4861.1264u3@excelforum-nospa...

password protect
how can you password protect a folder joker Not really an Excel problem. In Windows 98 you can ZIP the folder and PW protect the ZIP file. Using XP and NTFS, you can assign varying levels of permission to users on files/folders without having to worry about passwords. Although there are ways to use a password, they involve encryption and/or compression. Why bother? Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 08:36:05 -0800, "joker" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >how can you password protect a folder ...

Just upgraded test 3.0 install to 4.0, weird error when opening account?
We are working on a full implementation to crm 3.0 in our office. Still working out some of the bug there. So, we decided to upgrade our test box to 4.0, so we can see if any of the bug we are having are worked out in 4.0. It appears that maybe they are... YAY :) But, when i open an account in 4.0, i get an error box that i have to hit OK 4 times, then everything is alright, and i can see the account, and check everything out. here is the error that is in the bottom of the pop up: http://127.0.0.1:5555/companyname/_common/error/dlg_error.aspx?hresult=Not%20available&errmessage= Tha...

Formulas are displayed, results are not

Trouble with Excel #3
Hello, I am having major problems with my Excel. I just reloaded it after wiping my computer and now when I open the program or a file all I get are repeating flashes of opening sheets. It does not stop until it runs out of memory and can no longer function. I do not know what to do about it. Please help me if you can. I have unistalled it and reinstalled it. Thank you for your help. Deirdre ...

Service pack 3 year end update
Does anyone know of any issues with 2008 year end update which includes service pack 3??? ALso is there any docs out there that tell you what service pack 3 includes and what it updates, had a clients update done and now when the are posting they the error THE STORED PROCEDURE GLPBATCHCLEANUP RETURNED THE FOLLOWING RESULTS: DBMS O, GREAT PLAINS 20488, is this an issue with the update?? Help Thanks, Jim The installation guide for SP3 contains the fixes. I don't have information about the error you're experiencing. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Jim" wrote: > Does a...

Thanks #3
My thanks to Norm and Bob! Best regards, Fred Thanks Fred. I am sure I can speak for Norman when saying it is always a pleasure. Bob (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "Fred Russell" <frussell@msn.com> wrote in message news:OtqXA%23uCGHA.2300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > My thanks to Norm and Bob! > > Best regards, > Fred > > ...

Any issues with Windows Service Pack 3 (XP) and GP v. 8.0? Thanks
My client is looking to see if there are any issues with this combination. Thank you. No issues that I have heard about. However, check the system requirements page as it is updated frequently to address some of these questions at https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/products/greatplains/documentation/systemrequirements/compatibility_gp8.0_lowmidhi.htm?printpage=false Just make sure you are running the latest GP 8 service pack (Service Pack 5) available at https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/products/greatplains/downloads/servicepack/greatplains80_servicepacks.htm?printpage=fal...

Password Protecting Fields
I want signature blocks on my form only accessible to the person who signed in. I have user level security so the person must sign in to have access to the form but beyond that I only want that person to be able to fill his/her name in, in their spot only to show agreement - electronic signature. I have this on one form but cant duplicate it on the second. This is what was used on the first - as best I can tell. Private Sub Signature_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) Dim Response As String Response = InputBox("Enter Password", "Password Required") If Resp...

how do i get different post cadts to print on one sheet?
I want to be able to print on sheet of all differnt post cards? littlebit86_ <littlebit86_@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I want to be able to print on sheet of all differnt post cards? Use the Mail Merge feature if it's just different addresses you need. If you need entirely different designs, you'll need to manually set up your labels on a larger page. Set the page size in File > Page Setup to the size of your sheet of labels, and then set the layout guides to the positions of the individual labels. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Pu...

auto fill #3
hi, i have an excel sheet with student's grades: column A has an icreasing number, column B has the name , column C has the class, column D has the grade. I would like if it is posssible when i filter the students by class at the end of the sheet to be added two columns automatically [with macro, code?? i dont know how :-( ] the first one write if the student is 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc in the class depending on the grade (column D) and the second column write if the grade is lower than 5 the student pass or fail! Is possible the column A when i use the filter to change in a number that is the...

jpg files #3
When I try to open jpg files in Outlook (2003) I get a message Error Opening Database: 2000 The system cannot find the file specified. Sounds like the program that's trying to open the JPG has an issue. Do you happen to know what program that is? "CAZC" <CAZC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03B0686A-A9AB-4F8F-A1FC-2B545EF8735E@microsoft.com... > When I try to open jpg files in Outlook (2003) I get a message > Error Opening Database: 2000 > The system cannot find the file specified. I was in outlook 2003 "Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]...

Password Protect #2
Greetings!!! Is it possible like Outlook express to protect opening of Outlook with password. In OE..its a good thing of indentities which can prevent mis-use...is it possible in Outlook too? Awaiting for kind help. regds, Saurabh. "Saurabh" <saurabhvasa@engineer.com> wrote in message news:e4e301c3f069$6c6a3d40$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Greetings!!! > > Is it possible like Outlook express to protect opening of > Outlook with password. > > In OE..its a good thing of indentities which can prevent > mis-use...is it possible in Outlook too? > > Awaitin...

How do I Excel formula =LEFT(A2,LEN(A2)-3) in an Access Query
I need to delete the last 12 characters (phone number) from a field that contains names and phone numbers. Lou Are you asking how to do this in MS Access? If so, take a look in Access HELP re: Mid() function and Len() function. Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Access MVP -- Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein does not constitute endorsement thereof. Any code or pseudocode included in this post is offered "as is", with no guarantee as to suitability. ...

i want to allow users to edit changes afetr password protect of c
Please use the body of the message to describe what you want. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 01:15:02 -0700, mamta raul <mamta raul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

Invoice Number #3
I created my own invoice using a worksheet since I could not get the invoice template to do as I wanted. Can someone please tell me how to assign a changing invoice number cell? Can I make it start with whatever number I want or must it start with 1? Thank you in advance, this group has been extremely helpfull. Gary Hi Gary, http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "R2D2" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:JzYHg.13382$Nz6.105@edtnps82... |I created my own invoice using a worksheet since I coul...

copying the objects from a sheet
I am trying to write code to copy the objects (logos, graphics, etc) from one sheet to another, and have them come up in the same place on the destination sheet. At the moment, it's putting them somewhere near but not quite at the top of the sheet and shifting them left a bit Is there a way to get them to go in the same place? Here's the code that isn't working: Sheets("Sheet1").Select ActiveSheet.DrawingObjects.Select Selection.Copy Sheets("Sheet2").Select ActiveSheet.PasteSpecial Format:="MS Office Drawing Object&qu...

Migration to new domain and upgrade CRM1.2 Standard to 3.0
Hi, I'll be glad for any answer or any suggest to the following case: We plan to do the upgrade CRM1.2 to 3.00 for one of our clients but during this process the migration to new domain will be executed as well. -First, we plan to migrate 1.2 to new domain and afterwards upgrade to 3.0 (in new domain). For this steps, a new machine will be configured: Windows 2003 Server, SQL 2005 (destination server CRM 3.0 in new domain), Exchange 2003 but still the old Server CRM1.2 (old domain) will be worked because users will still work on that CRM 1.2. I want ot underline that users were mi...

OPenign an Excel sheet form Access
Hello everyone, I would like to open a shared excel spreadsheet on our server by using a button from Access. Can I use the runApp macro for this? If so what do I need to do...I have little experience with macros. Thanks. Add a button to your form add an onclick event and then enter the following code application.followhyperlink "c:\...\...\...\excel.xls" obviously replace the "c:\...\...\...\excel.xls" with the path and filename of the excel file you wish to open. -- Hope this helps, Daniel Pineault "Amanda" wrote: > Hello everyone, > &g...

How can collect data from multiple sheets in the same workbook?
Hello, I am trying to collect data from multiple sheet in a workbook. I want to summarize the data on a seperate for printing. rrok, Please post your workbook (or a sample if sensative data) - scroll down and see "Manage Attachments". -- stanleydgromjr ------------------------------------------------------------------------ stanleydgromjr's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=503 View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=154322 [url=&quot;http://www.thecodecage.com&quot;]Microsoft Office Help[/url...

Custom user function sheet recalculate problem #2
Hi All, I have a custom user function called in many cells in my spreadshee much like -=getdata(ref1,ref2)- which works great! Within this functio a call is made to an SQL database to retrieve one piece information an return it to the spreadsheet. Althought it seems really quick for on cell its obviously a major overhead for many cells. Currently 100 cell updates takes about 15 secs which is actually not bad when it happening only once. However we will run large and complicate spreadsheets with perhaps many times more data being refreshe regularly in different ways. What I want to achive ...

password protected files
I need help for creating the file which supplies the password protected excel file. Is that is possible by macro. If so pls tell the macro details. Nitin K Goyal Some one could help if the question is more clear. Divakar ...

Exchange System Manager Error #3
I just installed a new certificate on my Enterprise exchange server. I had been using a Small business server as a front end server and recently ran the transition pack to convert to a full Windows 2003 server. I am no longer using the exchange that was on the small business server and have disabled all of the services until I get a chance to remove it. When I try to access public folders from Exchange System Manager, I get the following error: the SSL certificate server name is incorrect ID no: c103b404 Exchange System Manager I am not sure what is causing this. All of the public ...

Password protect so no one can open w-sheet
I want to make the sheet so that it is not viewable by anyone but myself. Any help? Brad File Save As Tools General Options Put a password in the Password to open box Make sure you write down the password so you dont forget it and can get in at a later date "Brad" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:f64801c3f24f$14fe63a0$a301280a@phx.gbl... : I want to make the sheet so that it is not viewable by : anyone but myself. : Any help? : Brad And anyone can do a Google to find and download a free program to find the word you used! -- Bernard Lien...

Outlook 2000 won't close #3
I am having a problem with several computers. Outlook will not close completely without using ctrl+alt+del. Here is the configuration of the computers: Windows 2000 Pro w/all updates Office 2000 w/all updates Exchange 5.5 These users have access to multiple accounts. Also ALL email stays on the server. We are not using psts for anything. Have looked at add-ins and everything else. This has just started last week. I have one that this happens every time they try to exit outlook. Please help. Carl Are you running fax software? Synch software for a handheld? An antispam filter? A...