Problems with formating and formulas in Excel 2002

I am having problems with the sum formula in Excel 2002.
I take a straight copy of data in an acess database (not
an export) and paste it into an excel spreadsheet.

I can not seem to format the cells nor can I use the Sum
formula to calculate.  If I manually re-type all the
numeric value these problems seem to disappear.

The problems seem to have started when Access XP was
installed onto the PC but niether removing Access no re-
installing the PC has worked to correct this problem.

Has anyone else seen something similar?
0
anonymous (74722)

Hi

It sounds to me like the cells are coming in as text, rather than numbers.

Copy an unused cell (not formatted as text). Select your 'numbers' and then
Paste/Special/Add.

Andy.

"Excel 2002 - Problems with Formulas" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:0cca01c393a4$ebfa60c0$a101280a@phx.gbl...
> I am having problems with the sum formula in Excel 2002.
> I take a straight copy of data in an acess database (not
> an export) and paste it into an excel spreadsheet.
>
> I can not seem to format the cells nor can I use the Sum
> formula to calculate.  If I manually re-type all the
> numeric value these problems seem to disappear.
>
> The problems seem to have started when Access XP was
> installed onto the PC but niether removing Access no re-
> installing the PC has worked to correct this problem.
>
> Has anyone else seen something similar?

0
andy2763 (218)
10/16/2003 7:59:50 AM
Andy

I am having the same problem, however I am still unable to fromat the text

     ----- Andy B wrote: ----

     It sounds to me like the cells are coming in as text, rather than numbers

     Copy an unused cell (not formatted as text). Select your 'numbers' and the
     Paste/Special/Add

     Andy

     "Excel 2002 - Problems with Formulas" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com
     wrote in message news:0cca01c393a4$ebfa60c0$a101280a@phx.gbl..
     > I am having problems with the sum formula in Excel 2002
     > I take a straight copy of data in an acess database (no
     > an export) and paste it into an excel spreadsheet
     >> I can not seem to format the cells nor can I use the Su
     > formula to calculate.  If I manually re-type all th
     > numeric value these problems seem to disappear
     >> The problems seem to have started when Access XP wa
     > installed onto the PC but niether removing Access no re
     > installing the PC has worked to correct this problem
     >> Has anyone else seen something similar

0
anonymous (74722)
11/21/2003 6:11:12 PM
Are you pasting from Access--or the web?

Sometimes there's stuff that looks like spaces in the cell that cause the
numbers to be treated as text.  (Sometimes, it's really spaces.  Sometimes, it's
HTML's non-breaking space.)

If this sounds like it might be the case, the you may want to try David
McRitchie's TrimAll macro.

(look for "Sub Trimall()")

David also has instructions on how to install a macro and run it at:

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Custom Formatting for Dates
Is there a manner of formatting to see date as Text?, if entered in same cell. Think that is what I need. Using custom formatting: yymmdd and making column narrow, so just see dd (with right justify). Problem is that going from text to date format, just see ## is there way to make yymmdd in custom to conform to text??? Thanks a1 11/2/05 b1 =TEXT(A1,"yymmdd") you will get b1 051102 ==================== "nastech" <nastech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89817178-868E-4E3C-9946-6A1E93B0080F@microsoft.com... > Is there a man...

Excel 2007

Exchange update problem

SQL deadlock problem

docmd.transfertext problem

multiple Domain name delivery problem

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Excel not Access

help with simple maths in excel

Opening Excel Workbooks

How do I use traffic lights in excel

formula based on format

formating date from general2 custom
I have an input xls file with the date but like this: Wed May 14 00:00:00 GMT-05:00 2008 I need to have just following format dd/mm/yyyy I tried to format it using Format->Cells->Date or Format->Cells- >Custom but this is failing. Nothing changed. Any ideas? Thanks for the help. Vlad <vladimir.vaynshtok@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1013b138-352b-4799-81ba-9508b74a1850@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... >I have an input xls file with the date but like this: > > Wed May 14 00:00:00 GMT-05:00 2008 > > I need to have just following format > > d...

Border problems

This formula doesn't work: = day(today())
This formula doesn't work: = day(today()) Except from spreading one formula into 2, is it possible to make it workable in 1 formula? If so, how? -- Additional information: - I'm using Office XP - I'm using Windows XP ���H����O�D�`����. �p��������B, ���Ѫ̤��[�祿!! My ability is very limited. Hope you will not mind to enlighten me if I do wrongly. What doesn't work? For today (7 May 2004) =DAY(TODAY()) returns 7. In article <eYuAXhDNEHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "0-0 Wai Wai ^-^" <x@x.com> wrote: > This formula doesn't work: = day...

Excel DNS query