Problems calculating a converted html table to Excel XP (2002)

I have a generated report off the web that must be converted into Excel.  When the report comes up initially it is in a .asp format.   I save the report off the web in HTML format.  Then open excel, then go to file -> open and browse for the file that I just saved.

The report opens fine with all data showing up as is.  However when I try to go and calculate a column of numbers, the answer that I get is 0.   So if I go and add up say this list of numbers which is : 5, 7, and 8.  The sum should be 20.  Instead I get 0 everytime.  I have tried to format the cells to be numbers instead of general.

I have checked to make sure that the worksheet is not protected.  This report used to work in Office 97 SR2.  The version of Office XP that I have is Office XP SP3

If there are any ideas, I am willing to listen

Thanks

New Excel XP User
0
anonymous (74722)

Your data is being returned in text format, and simply using the format menu to
make them numbers will not work.  What you will likely find is that if after
using the format menu, if you now select each cell in turn and hit F2 and enter,
the data becomes numeric, but you don't want to spend all that time doing it
that way.

Format any single cell as numeric and then enter a 1.  As long as it right
aligns you should be OK.  Now copy that cell, select all your data and do Edit /
Paste Special / Multiply, and this should then coerce the data back to numeric.
Now try your SUM.

--
Regards
              Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

"New Excel XP User" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a generated report off the web that must be converted into Excel.  When
the report comes up initially it is in a .asp format.   I save the report off
the web in HTML format.  Then open excel, then go to file -> open and browse for
the file that I just saved.

> The report opens fine with all data showing up as is.  However when I try to
go and calculate a column of numbers, the answer that I get is 0.   So if I go
and add up say this list of numbers which is : 5, 7, and 8.  The sum should be
20.  Instead I get 0 everytime.  I have tried to format the cells to be numbers
instead of general.

> I have checked to make sure that the worksheet is not protected.  This report
used to work in Office 97 SR2.  The version of Office XP that I have is Office
XP SP3.

> If there are any ideas, I am willing to listen.
>
> Thanks,
>
> New Excel XP User

---

ken.wright (2489)
5/16/2004 1:05:00 PM
I just tried your suggestion.  Still the sum is equal to 0.   All the cells currently in the column are now set as Number.  The cells were formatted in general format.
0
anonymous (74722)
5/16/2004 1:36:03 PM
Sometimes when you use data from the web, you get extra characters in the cells.

If you retyped one of the entries, do you get a non-zero sum?

If yes, David McRitchie has a macro that can clean up this stuff:
(look for "Sub Trimall()")

If you're new to macros, you may want to read David's intro at:

New Excel Xp User wrote:

> I just tried your suggestion.  Still the sum is equal to 0.   All the cells currently in the column are now set as Number.  The cells were formatted in general format.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Exchange update problem

multiple Domain name delivery problem

SQL deadlock problem

docmd.transfertext problem

Excel 2007

Excel not Access

Inserting form values into a table

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Opening Excel Workbooks

help with simple maths in excel

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Border problems

Calculating age in a label or text box on a form
Hello All, I have a text box for birthdate for a user to enter the birthdate and I want to the age for the user to be automatically calcuated and displayed in another label called "Age." What formula can I use? Missy ...

Convert date
How can I convert a date in this format (mm-dd-yyyy) to a Julian-date (i.e., YYYYDDD)? For example: 09-13-2003 to 2003256 Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/jdates.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany gary wrote: > How can I convert a date in this format (mm-dd-yyyy) to a > Julian-date (i.e., YYYYDDD)? > > For example: 09-13-2003 to 2003256 On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 10:24:57 -0700, "gary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How can I convert a date in this format (mm-dd-yyyy) to a >Julian-date (i.e., YYYYDDD)? > >For exa...

Excel Problem

Precision of Calculations
I have a question about increasing the precision of calculations in Excel. I'm trying to develop an Excel spreadsheet to conduct a specialized kind of analysis, I have everything running correctly except for one stage of the analysis. At one point, the spreadsheet calculates a probability using the following formula (with input from cell H16) =1-NORMSDIST(H16) This produces a number in cell H17. The resulting probability is then entered in the following formula =TINV(H17,C5-2) to produce a value in cell H18. Now, if the H16 value is large, then the probability resulting in...

SOAP Exception