Problem using fill with formulas

I have a column. I want to fill in the formula from B1 all the way
down to B200. I select B1 and drag my mouse down to B200 and select
Fill Down. The formula is inserted in every cell. However, I have:

=VLOOKUP(A4,[yahoo.xls]Sheet1!$A1:$H200,2,FALSE)
=VLOOKUP(A5,[yahoo.xls]Sheet1!$A2:$H201,2,FALSE)

when I want the second column formula to be:

=VLOOKUP(A4,[yahoo.xls]Sheet1!$A1:$H200,2,FALSE)

In other words, I want the first cell reference (A) to change, but not
the cell references in the yahoo.xls worksheet. Because they are
changing, I need to go in and manually change the references to
$A1:$H200. I am a newbie, so apologize. This must be a naive question.
Can someone point me to information on this? Also, is there a way to
do a mass search and replace to change all instances of a formula?

Thanks for any help.
0
gary4003 (6)

Hi Gary,

Try:

=VLOOKUP(A4,[yahoo.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$H$200,2,FALSE)

---
Regards,
Norman

"Gary" <gary@garynielson.com> wrote in message
> I have a column. I want to fill in the formula from B1 all the way
> down to B200. I select B1 and drag my mouse down to B200 and select
> Fill Down. The formula is inserted in every cell. However, I have:
>
> =VLOOKUP(A4,[yahoo.xls]Sheet1!$A1:$H200,2,FALSE)
> =VLOOKUP(A5,[yahoo.xls]Sheet1!$A2:$H201,2,FALSE)
>
> when I want the second column formula to be:
>
> =VLOOKUP(A4,[yahoo.xls]Sheet1!$A1:$H200,2,FALSE)
>
> In other words, I want the first cell reference (A) to change, but not
> the cell references in the yahoo.xls worksheet. Because they are
> changing, I need to go in and manually change the references to
> $A1:$H200. I am a newbie, so apologize. This must be a naive question.
> Can someone point me to information on this? Also, is there a way to
> do a mass search and replace to change all instances of a formula?
>
> Thanks for any help.

0
normanjones (1047)

Problems with creating a newsletter

CSV File Problem

Customize Current View: Filter Problem

Month problem

Using mouse wheel in VB editor

Rounding Problem

Access 2007 and Vista code problem

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

Offline folder problems #2

Use exchange from a trusted domain

OLK 2k7

outlook 2k2 problem

Extending formulas
Subject: Extending formulas Hi, For my application that uses Excel for calculations. I need to be able to extend the forula base of Excell with complex scientifc functions. Is there a way to add new functions to the Excel function base? Thanks Spx. MS has provided Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) to customize Excel with new functions, commands, forms, menus, etc. Tools|Macro|Visual Basic Editor From the VBA editor Insert Module Then write your functions in VBA. Details of writting functions in VBA is a very big topic, http://www.fontstuff.com/vba/vbatut01.htm may help y...

Mother of a sumproduct (ish) problem!

Hyperlink problem #3

CRM 3.0 Login Problems

Spam is a big big problem
Spam is a big big problem ...

Problem with Database Wizard

Strange problem
We have been rolling out new Windows 7 workstations (all new computers) at work over the last few months and a strange problem has developed. Prior to Windows 7 we were using Windows XP with Office 2007. The problem is, we have a workbook which uses a UserForm for filling in all required information. Prior to rolling out the new Windows 7 workstations, the workbook and UserForm were working flawlessly (for over a year) and they still work flawlessly on the first 3 Windows 7 workstations but on the last 2 workstations we rolled out if you open the UserForm and leave it open for ...