Printer Using USB Port Slows Page Setup

Recently in Excel when I click on Page Setup or Print Preview, the response
time slows to a crawl, as does every operation after that, like scrolling or
adding rows or columns.

I recently installed an HP Officejet Pro 8000, which uses a USB connection
to an older Dell desktop. This printer replaced an HP Laserjet which used an
LPT1 cable.
Is the USB connection my problem?

In article <89EB6D51-23CD-41EC-8DAD-648C74D1B04F@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B?U3R1IEI=?= <Stu B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>Recently in Excel when I click on Page Setup or Print Preview, the response
>time slows to a crawl, as does every operation after that, like scrolling or
>adding rows or columns.
>
>I recently installed an HP Officejet Pro 8000, which uses a USB connection
>to an older Dell desktop. This printer replaced an HP Laserjet which used an
>LPT1 cable.
>Is the USB connection my problem?

The physical printer probably isn't, but if you changed printer driver (as
seems likely here), that might be. IIRC, changing printers (drivers
effectively) in XL 2003 sometimes slowed things down.

HTH

0
bruce
4/22/2010 3:58:41 AM
may not be of much help, but go ahead and read this blog post.

http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/2010/02/16/migrating-excel-4-macros-to-vba.aspx

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

"Stu B" <Stu B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently in Excel when I click on Page Setup or Print Preview, the
> response
> time slows to a crawl, as does every operation after that, like scrolling
> or
> adding rows or columns.
>
> I recently installed an HP Officejet Pro 8000, which uses a USB connection
> to an older Dell desktop. This printer replaced an HP Laserjet which used
> an
> LPT1 cable.
> Is the USB connection my problem?

0
Gary
4/22/2010 5:08:08 AM
After you've done a print or print preview, you'll see that excel is displaying
those little dotted lines showing where the page breaks are.

If you're inserting/deleting rows or columns, then excel has to recalculate the
location of those dotted lines.

So I'd try to remove those dotted lines to see if the response time comes back
to normal.

In xl2003 menus, it's:
Tools|Options|View tab|uncheck Page breaks

Stu B wrote:

> Recently in Excel when I click on Page Setup or Print Preview, the response
> time slows to a crawl, as does every operation after that, like scrolling or
> adding rows or columns.
>
> I recently installed an HP Officejet Pro 8000, which uses a USB connection
> to an older Dell desktop. This printer replaced an HP Laserjet which used an
> LPT1 cable.
> Is the USB connection my problem?

--

Dave Peterson
0

multiple flyers per page?

Outlook Send/Receive mail SLOW

printing 2 charts on single page

Using mouse wheel in VB editor

Use exchange from a trusted domain

How Use ShellExecute with a CMemFile

Using INDIRECT within functions

what printers can run Vista
just purchased a dell which came with Vista on it. now my printer (HP 5550 deskjet) won't print. I need to find a new printer that i can hook up to the computer. This is an Access newsgroup. We help with questions related to Microsoft Access - the database application that is part of MS Office Professional. -- Rick B "monroe" <monroe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC746826-251A-4097-AF88-2805BCDE7DEC@microsoft.com... > just purchased a dell which came with Vista on it. now my printer (HP > 5550 > deskjet) won't print. I need to...

How to use count for calls per hour

TSP100 printer and print width
Hi all, After pull my hair out for a half of day, I just find out that TSP100 printer driver reports its print width incorrectly when we use GetDeviceCaps to retrieve print width. Call GetDeviceCaps with PHYSICALWIDTH will report 1725 that is roughtly equal to 8.5 inches corresponding to 203ppi that LOGPIXELSX reported. Just let you all know This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C92EF4.F767C240 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable After you installed the printer, did you change the p...

Anyone use Promys CRM software integrated with GP Dynamics?
Our company is considering using Promys as a CRM to create quotes and sales orders for the sales team. I am concerned about the integration with GP and what the pitfalls may be. Is anyone here currently using Promys with GP Dynamics? ...

Hi All, I'm creating a form that allows the user to pick a txt file (dialog) and then display the path and contents on the form. The code has been cobbled together as I found the pieces that worked, so bear with. I got the file picker working and displaying the file name on the form, but the file contents won't display. I had a feeling the problem had to do with importing a namespace (see the error in the code when I tried "Imports System.IO") or with a missing reference. Using Access 2003. References: VB for Apps, MS Access 11 Obj Lib, OLE Auto, MS V...

Can't use openURL or access internet on some locations
I have previously raised a question where openUrl threw an exception in a specific office location. However the problem I have now is that the application just freeze when I call openURL. It seems as it is waiting for something. This only happens at one company so far the company does have a proxy but so do I at work and I have no problems. I have also tried the Microsoft TEAR sample and it behaves the exact same way, it says "Opening internet...Connection made" and then it just stops. If I run it on my computer it gets the webpage and everything finishes ok. I have tried to set t...

USB optical mouse
Hello, I have windows xp home installed and it was installed with ps/s mouse and keyboard. I am trying to install a USB optical mouse and I got the error below: A problem has occured during the installation. Your hardware might not work correctly. The USB port is enabled and I usually connect USB stick memory drives and it works fine, but there is a problem with the mouse. Mouse lights up, initializes during Bios routine but somehow windows does not see it. Thank you On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 10:40:44 -0700 (PDT), Tester <calinguga@netscape.net> wrote: >Hello, >I have wi...

Setting up Word to automatically open in Standard mode, zoom=page margins
I've tried to find ways to handle this through the normal.dot file and can't find it... Word wants to open in layout mode and 200% zoom, forcing me to manually select mode and zoom. Any way to get Word to do what I want instead of what it wants? Thanks for your time. ===== Edward Lipsett Fukuoka, Japan Hi Edward: Word will open each document in the view and zoom it as last saved in. The onyl way to have a particular view happen every time is to create an AutoOpen() macro that specifies the view you want. Turn on your Macro Recorder and record yourself setting the view and zo...

unable to send outbound mail using outlook
I've enabled the smtp virtual server on our new exchange server and have our domain's mx record pointed to it. I've redirected our clients to point from our ISP's mail server to ours, but outbound mail is not working. when i tried to telnet to our server and do a "mail from: " of a local account, it's saying invalid address. Is there a separate setting to enable using this SMTP virtual server for outgoing mails? -Jerry Sorry... my mistake. I simply enabled message relaying and it works now. "jerrydy" wrote: > I've enabled the smtp virtua...

Using XSLT to transform XML prior to loading into Dataset
I am trying to transfor an XML document prior to loading into a Dataset. My problem stems from the known bug in Visual Studio that prevents loading a well formed XML because of duplicate child names: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325696 Anyway, I want to transform the XML using the XSLT to get around this problem, but I am having a tough time coming up with a way to apply the XSLT before loading it into the dataset. Any help and sample code appreciated. Thanks in advance. -Patrick pschouten1701@hotmail.com The XslTransform class has an overload of the Transform m...

Named range using conditional formatting
Hi, I have a named cell called Econvert which contains the conversion rate from Dollars to Euros. I am creating a template for others to use and I need to add a conditional format for when users forget to divide their inputs by the Econvert. For example, if they enter a salary number as $40,000 I want them to divide this number by Econvert so that the end result is =$40,000/Econvert. I would like the cell to become red if they forget to divide by Econvert which is why I think that conditional formatting would help. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. You could create a UDF and use that in the ...

Method to identify printer for docmd.printout
I would like to send a report automatically via e-mail. I can do this if Iselect one of the available formats (XLS, etc) but I would like to direct itto a pseudo-printer to create a PDF file. I have found no way to have Accessidentify a printer (other than the default printer). If a module exists toidentify a specific printer as default that would be nice - I could switchto, printout, switch back. Or if there is a way to have the printout go to aPDF format that would be a very good solution.I'd like to avoid the need for the user to manually shift default printers,do the print to it, then...