Prevent Hidden Column data from being copied/pasted?

A student came up with a question that I haven't been able
to figure out yet in a recent Excel class.
They are hiding a column and protecting the worksheet in
the correct manner. They want to allow some users to
access and enter information in some cells. They do not
want the users to be able to copy and paste the
information from the hidden column. The question is how
can this be prevented?
For example, Column B is hidden. When they copy a range
such as A1:C10 and paste it to another worksheet, they are
getting the "hidden" data in Column B in B1:B10.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !
Thanks!
Jugglertwo

0
anonymous (74722)

> For example, Column B is hidden. When they copy a range
> such as A1:C10 and paste it to another worksheet, they are
> getting the "hidden" data in Column B in B1:B10.

If after selecting A1:C10, you press F5 > Special > Visible cells only > OK
and then do the copy > paste, only the visible cells get copied/pasted
(the hidden B1:B10 won't be appear in the paste)

But why not just cut col B and paste it in a safe, far away col to the
right, say in col X, and then hide col X ? This might be a simpler way to do
it ..
--
Rgds
Max
"Jugglertwo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> A student came up with a question that I haven't been able
> to figure out yet in a recent Excel class.
> They are hiding a column and protecting the worksheet in
> the correct manner. They want to allow some users to
> access and enter information in some cells. They do not
> want the users to be able to copy and paste the
> information from the hidden column. The question is how
> can this be prevented?
> For example, Column B is hidden. When they copy a range
> such as A1:C10 and paste it to another worksheet, they are
> getting the "hidden" data in Column B in B1:B10.
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !
> Thanks!
> Jugglertwo

0
demechanik (4694)
4/9/2005 10:53:15 AM
And just to add to Max's "move the column elsewhere" suggestion...

Make sure you tell the students that excel's protection of worksheets and
workbooks (under tools|Protect) is easily broken.  It shouldn't be use to keep
private information private.

It's really meant to keep users from making simple mistakes (overwriting
formulas/values that shouldn't change).

--

Dave Peterson
0

splitting one column into two columns ... not what you think
i have fixed column widths that can't be changed; nor can any other columns be added to the worksheet ... i've got data in one column that represents "results" ... within the results column though, i need two columns (starting directly below the "results" cell, one that reads "in range" and that other that reads "out of range" ... so: if i'm on [column a] [cell 1] i want: "results" ... in [column a] [cell 2] i want: "in range" AND "out of range" with a line down the middle. "text to column" is ...

Finding duplicates in column
Hi, I have Excel 2002 and have 6000 emails addresses in a column. How can I find if there are any duplicates in that column? Thanks rock Assuming the data is in column A, add a formula in column B of =IF(COUNTIF($A$1:$A1,$A1)>1,"Duplicate","") Cpy that down, then you can filter column B for Duplicate Sorry to be so newby Bob, but when you say 'copy' down, what exactly do you mean? I have entered the formula in B1 but.. Thanks rock Bob Phillips wrote: > Assuming the data is in column A, add a formula in column B of > > =IF(COUNTI...

Passing data from one form to another

copy of exchange 2000
I don't suppose microsoft is providing Exchange 2000 as a free download anywhere are they?? Until we can afford to move up to SBS 2008 (hopefully later this year), I want to trash our SBS 2000 (too many issues with it) and simply install a win2k server with Exchange until we can move on. We are not using any of the other SBS components any longer anyway... If anyone knows where I might be able to get this from, I would be very appreciative! Thanks, Brad Why not look at BPOS? $10 per user a month it's a great inexpensive solution. You may find you do not ne...

Printing Multiple Copies #4
Hi all - I am using Vista Business and Publisher 2007 from the Office 2007 Small Business package. No matter what type of publication or template I use I can only print single copies. Most recently I tried to print 30 copies of a single page flyer and had to do it a single copy at a time. If I go to File|Print and set the number of copies to 30, I still get a single copy only. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks -- Andrew Aitchison (amhsn@nospam.sympatico.ca) Is your printer driver current? What is the default in the printing preferences in the control panel printer folder? ...

Help ! formatting data to text

How can I choose alternate rows in a column?
My requirement is to be able to create a column whose elements consist of difference between adjacent elements in a column, say column A. If I can choose alternate elements and create 2 new columns then I can just subtract the 2 columns easily. Huh? "pnair" <pnair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D47AD012-084B-49C6-8672-5067E8455D9E@microsoft.com... > My requirement is to be able to create a column whose elements consist of > difference between adjacent elements in a column, say column A. If I can > choose alternate elements and create 2 new colum...

Assign values for one column to another.
Hi I have in column T certain numbers and texts that that I require to assign a value to as below, in the adjacent column. Again any pointers would be much appreciated. Kind Regards Celticshadow T U 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6 7 7 8 8 9 9 0 10 F 10 UR 10 U 10 R 10 S 10 L 10 P 10 PU 10 BD 10 D 10 Well, imagine that two-column table occupies cells Y1:Z20. Put this formula in U1: =3DVLOOKUP(T1,Y$1,Z$20,2,0) and copy down. Hope this helps. Pete On Oct 14, 4:26=A0pm, Celticshadow <Celticsha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi > >...

Column styles doesn't appear on the worksheet
Hello, one of my customers has changed the windows xp designs to its own. From this moment excel doesn't show the font color and the background color of a cell in the worksheet. Only in the print preview you can see the color settings of the cells. I'm not shure if this problem belongs to the changing of the windows xp designs, but from this moment it did occur. This occurs on new excel-documents and on existing ones. With another user account on the same machine the problem doesn't occur. I have reinstalled Office 2003 and even deleted user registry entries for Office...

Removing hidden mailto:s from Excel?
I received a spreadsheet attachment yesterday and found a mailto:(my address) embedded in a cell under a text string. It was evident in a tooltip that appeared when cell was hovered-over. I told the sender who now says that many of her spreadsheets - used to handle group memberships - have such hidden addresses. What terms would she use to search for these pests, either in My Docs or on opening each sheet? ...

how do i recover data in publisher
i have been entering addresses to set up a mail merge. i cllicked the "ok" button in the window and lost all data . can i recover it Look in a folder in My Documents named "My Data Sources". Publisher data is saved as .mdb(Access) file. Did you try selecting "Edit Address List" in the Mailings and Catalog menu (Tools)? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "dee" <dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:690430F1-36DE-47EE-8B7D-DD12A096C075@microsoft.com... >i have been entering addresses to set up a mail merge. i cllicked ...

MS Excel Paste Special>Paste All
Using MS Excel 2003 Paste Special> Paste All, doesnt quite paste the 'Column Widths'. Am I always required to do the two step dance, Paste Special> Column Widths and Paste Special>All. >>Am I always required to do the two step dance Yes<g>. -- Jim "Excel User" <Excel User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D34ED9D-5BD6-43AD-8773-1EB7229309B2@microsoft.com... | Using MS Excel 2003 | | Paste Special> Paste All, doesnt quite paste the 'Column Widths'. Am I | always required to do the two step dance, Paste Special> ...

keep past calendar appts longer than six weeks
Outlook is deleting past calendar appointments after approx six weeks. How do I change setting to keep for a longer period of time? thx. Check your archive settings. You didn't indicate your version of Outlook so the instructions are approximate: Tools > Options > Other > Auto Archive. -- Kathleen Orland "tfg" <tfg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FA512107-117A-477D-9786-DDED3BC9D94E@microsoft.com... > Outlook is deleting past calendar appointments after approx six weeks. How > do I change setting to keep for a long...

Using subtotals as single data entries
Sorry about the subject--I couldn't figure out how to describe it simply. I have a large file (16,000 records) of amounts billed by roughly 10,000 service providers. A number of these providers have multiple office locations, so each record is unique to a specific office location. In other words, a provider who billed from 3 different office locations will have 3 entries. Each provider has a unique provider ID number, which stays the same regardless of which office location he is billing from. I want to be able to subtotal the amount billed by each provider for all their office locations...

Hide columns if there are no entry's in column
Hi everyone, I have a workbook with multiple sheets. One sheet is a overview from all the sheets and had all dates in it. Is there a VBA to hide columns when there are no entry's in it? The code has to work when I open the sheet "overview" Hope someone can help me with it! Thanks in advanced! Regards Berry Berry, If you have a row that when blank would indicate which columns to hide, you could use On Error Resume Next Rows("1:1").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).EntireColumn.Hidden = True HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP <blommerse@saz.nl> wrote in message news:118...

Missing column letters
Hello there, I have lost the letters at the top of my columns and the numbers to the left. I don't know what I have clicked! Any help is appreciated! Julia Hi Julia tools / options / view tab ensure row & column headers are ticked cheers JulieD "Julia" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2f4601c51f29$af4e6d80$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hello there, > > I have lost the letters at the top of my columns and the > numbers to the left. > > I don't know what I have clicked! Any help is appreciated! > > Julia Julia, ...

Retrieving sorted data from same table.
Hi All, I am working on a table (mentioned below) I am looking for a query which can get me the data according to the =93id=94 column with respect to speed. The condition is that I have to get three consecutive entries which have speed > 60 Below is the sample table with data on which I have to retrieve the data on above condition. The output i need can be as given below DVXC002 12/10/09 0:12 96 DVXC002 12/10/09 18:40 89 DVXC002 12/10/09 19:43 65 DVXC005 12/10/09 11:56 69 DVXC005 12/10/09 15:26 62 DVXC005 12/10/09 17:35 85 Need your help urgently....Thanks in advan...

Hidden log on problem
On our XP Home laptop I have 2 users on the welcome screen, while my admin account uses (ctrl alt del) x2. All is fine until it goes into standby when I am in admin. Then on wake up the welcome screen comes back, but (ctrl alt del) x2 does nothing. I can't see a way to get back into my account without rebooting. Is there another way (opening one of the other accounts is as slow as rebooting)? Cheers, S On Mar 30, 9:26=A0am, "spamlet" <spam.mores...@invalid.invalid> wrote: > On our XP Home laptop I have 2 users on the welcome screen, while my a...

Copy Data from One Group of Cells to Another Group
I have five columns of data on two different sheets in the same workbook. One set of columns is sorted in ascending date order the other in descending date order. When I enter data into the last row of Sheet 1, I need the data in that row in columns A, B, C and D to be copied into Sheet 2 columns A, C, D and E in a newly inserted row 14. Is this possible with the use of a macro? I can find the last cell in Sheet 1, but then need to go up one row and back to column A. I am having difficulty with that. Thanks is advance for any assistance offered! /s/ Alan Auerbach On Sat, 26 May 2007, ...