Prevent Hidden Column data from being copied/pasted?

A student came up with a question that I haven't been able
to figure out yet in a recent Excel class.
They are hiding a column and protecting the worksheet in
the correct manner. They want to allow some users to
access and enter information in some cells. They do not
want the users to be able to copy and paste the
information from the hidden column. The question is how
can this be prevented?
For example, Column B is hidden. When they copy a range
such as A1:C10 and paste it to another worksheet, they are
getting the "hidden" data in Column B in B1:B10.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !
Thanks!
Jugglertwo

0
anonymous (74722)

> For example, Column B is hidden. When they copy a range
> such as A1:C10 and paste it to another worksheet, they are
> getting the "hidden" data in Column B in B1:B10.

If after selecting A1:C10, you press F5 > Special > Visible cells only > OK
and then do the copy > paste, only the visible cells get copied/pasted
(the hidden B1:B10 won't be appear in the paste)

But why not just cut col B and paste it in a safe, far away col to the
right, say in col X, and then hide col X ? This might be a simpler way to do
it ..
--
Rgds
Max
"Jugglertwo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> A student came up with a question that I haven't been able
> to figure out yet in a recent Excel class.
> They are hiding a column and protecting the worksheet in
> the correct manner. They want to allow some users to
> access and enter information in some cells. They do not
> want the users to be able to copy and paste the
> information from the hidden column. The question is how
> can this be prevented?
> For example, Column B is hidden. When they copy a range
> such as A1:C10 and paste it to another worksheet, they are
> getting the "hidden" data in Column B in B1:B10.
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !
> Thanks!
> Jugglertwo

0
demechanik (4694)
4/9/2005 10:53:15 AM
And just to add to Max's "move the column elsewhere" suggestion...

Make sure you tell the students that excel's protection of worksheets and
workbooks (under tools|Protect) is easily broken.  It shouldn't be use to keep
private information private.

It's really meant to keep users from making simple mistakes (overwriting
formulas/values that shouldn't change).

--

Dave Peterson
0

Primary data files rebalancing
I have inherited a database that has a single mdf of approx 600 gb. I need to break this up to more manageable chunks and to have the ability to spread across multiple predefined Luns. I understand how to add filegroups/files but my dilemma is how to rebalance the load across the files within the filegroup. I have already created a secondary filegroup with a defined file and have moved certain tables to the new filegroup. This new file is on a slower spindle (Lun) and the contained tables are rarely accessed. So far so good. After doing a file shrink on the Primary mdf an...

Paste data to next available empty row
In a spreadsheet used to total golf scores and calculate Stableford points, the data entry people enter the 18 hole scores for each player. The total score and points are calculated and the data entry person passes those two items to the scoreboard on paper. The data entry person then clicks a macro button on the spreadsheet which copies the input data and pastes it elsewhere on the sheet. i.e. in row 35 columns B thru Y. The macro also clears the data and saves the spreadsheet. Now the data entry person starts another series of inputs. My question is how do I make the next input paste on...

Need help positioning data labels
I have a clustered column chart and I selected the “Center” option for data labels. When I change the chart type to clustered cylinder, my data labels move to the top of the cylinders, and there is no longer a “Center” option for data labels. I would like my data labels centered (i.e., shown in the middle of each cylinder) without having to move them manually. Is there a work-around? I am using Excel 2007. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks, Bob Oh, the joys of 3d charts... Since the label is positioned in the center of the cylinder front-to-back, XL wo...

Column grid headings
Hope somebody can help. For some reason the grid column headings on my xcel spreadsheets changed from alpha (A,B,C etc) to numeric ( 1,2,3 etc.) So now both my column and row designations are numeric. I don't know how it changed and don't know how to change back. Can anybody help? Thanks! Paula, tools, options, general, uncheck R1C1 reference style -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "paula" <pa...

Update free/busy data
Every now and then, with Outlook 2002 open, I get the following error message: "Unable to update free/busy data." What does this mean and could it be responsible for interfering with my email reception? ...

can't paste anything into the message window; mail stops working
Yesterday the windows mail stopped pasting anything I write and copy in works 9 or other microsoft programs. Why is this happening and what can be done? Noone seems to know!:mad: -- eameece Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com "eameece" <eameece.42nd8f@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message news:eameece.42nd8f@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com... > > Yesterday the windows mail stopped pasting anything I write and copy in > works 9 or other microsoft programs. Why is this happening and what can > be done? Noone seems to know!:mad: > >...

Attempting to pull out data to create Timesheet report
I am able to pull out the reported time from the timesheets but ran into a few problems. (I'm working off the EPM timesheet and also pulling in custom data) 1. I see a DayofWeek and DayofMonth field, but I cannot locate a MonthofYear. 2. I want to also add the entries for the Administrative time, but I cannot locate where those values are stored. What's stranger is that those values are also not populating when I do a regular Data Analysis view with the timesheet data, totals, and timesheet classification. I know that there is data there. Is there a bug? Thanks ...

Data collection in Excel2003
Hi everybody, I created an evaluation form some time ago in Excel 2003. Originally it was sent out to people after they had completed their training. It went out to about 5-6 people so gathering the information was not a very huge task. Now the form has been sent out to over a hundred people and I need to come up with something easier to capture the data. I used Forms-check boxes to answer the questions, then I had a comments area beside each question and I used the Forms-Text Box with a scroll bar. I am asking, is there an easier way to collect this data? Cheers Lynda Hi Li...

unusual behavior when data is entered
When I enter any value to a cell and hit the right arrow key, a 'b' is placed at the end of the value and the excel window is minimized. Does anyone know what could cause this? Does this happen with every cell? With every sheet? With every file? HTH Otto "lob" <rcarmstrong@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1192784790.746657.25630@e34g2000pro.googlegroups.com... > When I enter any value to a cell and hit the right arrow key, a 'b' is > placed at the end of the value and the excel window is minimized. > Does anyone know what could cause this? >...

Import External Data #2
When I import, the dialog has an options section which asks me if I want to view tables, views, system tables, or synonyms. What does this mean? -- RMC,CPA ...

update with Data Migration Framework
is it possible to update a field with the DMF. eg if an account has the postcode changed on the primary address and it is run through the DMF again, will it create a new, almost identical, record or can it be made to update the exisitng record? any help greatly appreciated ...

Page 1 is full with data...now what??
Page 1 of my spreadsheet is initially empty, except for the cell borders which mark off a 20x5 spreadsheet area. (ie, there are 20 rows and 5 columns where data will be entered). Once all the cells on Page 1 of my spreadsheet become full of data, I might need to add more data to this workbook. Once the area on Page 1 is full, is it possible to create another empty table on Page 2 so more data can be entered onto a new table that is formatted exactly like the table on Page 1?? I guess what I'm really looking for is a type of smart workbook that automatically creates a newly...

corresponding data
Hi all, In sheet A in col AU are more than 600 numers, say 344, 2368 etc. In col BI of sheet A are corresponding amounts (numbers or nothing, no text, no formulas). Sheet B in col. M also has some numbers in it (numbers or nothing, no text, no formulas) which all occur in col AU of sheet A. I need efficient (fast) code to copy the corresponding amount in col BI of sheet A to col N in sheet B, say from row 2 (in sheet B) to row 60. The result (the amount in col N of sheet B) should be like this: sheet A sheet B col A...

Can I preserve chart formatting when the source data is updated?
My source data is in a list, and when I add data to the list, the chart automatically updates by adding the new data but all chart formatting is lost. I would like to know what I have to do to preserve the formatting of the chart when updating the data. I read similar questions in the forumns about losing formatting when working with Pivot Charts, and that this can be fixed with Macros. I am not very familar with Macros, and it seems like it would be more work than it is worth to preserve formatting in a normal chart. Is there an alternative method? Thank you. more detail about what ...

Adjusting Chart source data when column is deleted
Hi all, I have a chart that plots data from $B$9:$BA$9$ on a worksheet in the same workbook. This chart is a running average so every week the first column is deleted and new data is added to BA9. Problem is when column B9 is deleted the chart adjusts the data source to be $B$9:$AZ$9. What can I do to retain the reference of a series in a chart no matter what I do to the columns in the referenced worksheet? Or is there something I should be doing differently in the source worksheet? There are many worksheets and charts so going to each chart to update the references takes a long ...

exchange migration wizard "data invalid" #2
I am in the process of an Exchange 2003 email migration between 2 forest with an external trust that has been established. I would like to use the Exchange Server Migration tool, but on the screen where you pick the specific mailboxes to move, it gives me an error of "the data is invalid". The specified account does have Full exchange administrator rights. Manolo ...

Named Range, hidden row, auto-filter & macro buttons
My named range starts w/Row 14, which is hidden. A macro button inserts a new row below 14 so users may enter a new record. There are several reasons I’m doing it this way. 1) Inserting a new row between 14 & 15 ensures my named range is never altered, 2) Row 14 has conditional formatting that is copied onto Row 15 - keeping fields yellow until data is entered, and 3) the new record is always entered directly below directly below column titles. Aside from entering records I want users to be able to easily navigate through the large list or create custom narrowed down...

Finding repeated data in a excel spreadsheet
I have a problem with an excel spreadsheet that i need help with... I am studying a road network and it is represented by points (nodes) and the space inbetween these is the road. My problem is that obviously a road goes from say point A to point B but also back the way from point B to point A. The data i have contains both data from point A to point B but also from point B to point A. This data is identical and to i'd like to delete the repeated data from B to A. The problem is that point A may go to up to 5 other locations, ie to B,C,D,E or - as roads do at a junction. Therefore ...

Cell Borders and "Columns to Repeat at Left"
I have some sheets that extend multiple print pages to the right. I need to repeat some of the columns on the left. I also need to set cell borders with various type lines (double, thin, single, etc) to emphasize various parts of the sheet. I have not been able to figure out the logic of setting cell borders to come out correctly when you have columns repeated at the left. All I see is inconsistency, so I must not understanding the right approach, or order of operations to get the sheet to print correctly. The best I have been able to come up with (and this doesn't seem to alwa...

Problem with copy from one worksheet to another
I have a problem with copying from one worksheet to another. First I calculate how many lines that I need to copy, but when do the actual copy I get an error message. This is a part from my code Private Sub Start_Click() Dim lastline As Integer Dim MalWb, RappWb As Workbook Workbooks.OpenText Filename:=RapportFrm.Innfil.Value, Origin:=xlWindows, StartRow:=1, _ DataType:=xlDelimited, TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter _ :=False, Tab:=False, Semicolon:=False, Comma:=False, Space:=False, _ Other:=True, OtherChar:="""&...

Losing my headers and footers when I copy the file
When I copy an Excel file, the headers and footers are missing in the copy. Is this a bug? Whats the fix? Hello Stu, Headers and footers are properties of each sheet. If you copied the file (workbook) headers and footers would be copied also. If you copy a sheet (by right-clicking a tab and choosing "Move or Copy") that info would likewise go with it. If you are copying info from inside the sheet, even by selecting all, the header/footer would not be copied. Regards, IanRoy "StuThomson" wrote: > When I copy an Excel file, the headers and footers are missing i...

Copied files do not match originals
I have been plagued by this problem for months; when copying large (2-15GB) files from one drive to another, I find that the source and destination do not match afterward when I run a binary comparison between them. Originally I was transferring files between two XP machines over a gigabit network. I attempted all possible combinations of drive mapping with no effect. Occasionally a recopy *would* match, but often I got no improvement. I am now transferring the files directly on the target machine, by attaching the source hard drive to a spare SATA connection, with the same res...

compare two columns, then calculate a result
I am teacher and I have a sheet set up to record student test results. I type in the score (out of 60) and the sheet calculates a percentage. I have then entered an IF function in the next column to convert this pergentage into a grade (a letter grade from A to G). My difficulty is in the next stage .. . . Some students are going to sit a higer paper (H) and some a foundation paper (F). I have a column where H or F is entered in order to record this information. The papers however have different pass marks (e.g. 55% in a Higher paper gets a "C" but only gets a "E"...

I can not enter data in any cell after saving worksheet?
I have been entering data, both numbers and letters in the worksheet and then saving. But know when I try to enter more info nothing happens? I tried another worksheet and the same thing happens. Perhaps you are saving as read only -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "DUKE" <DUKE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:73154C60-6D7B-4F74-B35A-A4E4A6999145@microsoft.com... > I have been entering data, both numbers and letters in the worksheet and then > saving. But know when I try to enter more info nothing happens? I tried > another work...

How to save a specific range of data
I have to save a specific range of data, including 1 empty cell on each row in CSV format. This is to create an extra comma on the end of each record. I have not been able to figure this out and would appreciate any help. try putting something in that cell. I'd use ="" It looks empty, but the formula reminds me why it's there. But you could use an apostrophe (and maybe just a spacebar--I didn't test that one!) Steve wrote: > > I have to save a specific range of data, including 1 empty cell on each row > in CSV format. This is to create an extra comma o...