Pre-set headers and footers for new worksheets

how do I have a new excel spreadsheet always open with pre-set headers and
footers?  There must be a way to do this.  I am tired of going into each
spreadsheet I open and re-entering my preffered set up; headers and footers,
row height, etc.

Look in Excel HELP for Template

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"robertwesley" <robertwesley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how do I have a new excel spreadsheet always open with pre-set headers and
> footers?  There must be a way to do this.  I am tired of going into each
> spreadsheet I open and re-entering my preffered set up; headers and
> footers,
> row height, etc.

0
nicolaus (2022)
4/26/2005 6:49:39 PM
Make a blank spreadsheet with your preferences set up, then go to File>Save
As, call it 'Robert Wesley Template' or something similarly useful, then
(here's the clever bit) select 'Template(.xlt)' from the drop down File Type
menu. Now every time you make a new spreadsheet simply open the template
first. All you have to watch for is that a: you don't hit Save and save over
your template and b: when saving a new spreadsheet for the first time you
remember to change the file back to 'Excel Spreadsheet(.xls)'

Hope that's what you're looking for,

Jake

"robertwesley" wrote:

> how do I have a new excel spreadsheet always open with pre-set headers and
> footers?  There must be a way to do this.  I am tired of going into each
> spreadsheet I open and re-entering my preffered set up; headers and footers,
> row height, etc.
0
Jake (94)
4/26/2005 6:50:04 PM
jake

Do not open the Template.XLT

Just open a workbook based upon that Template.

Then you don't have a chance to overwrite and also the workbook is
automatically an *.xls

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:50:04 -0700, "jake" <jake@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Make a blank spreadsheet with your preferences set up, then go to File>Save
>As, call it 'Robert Wesley Template' or something similarly useful, then
>(here's the clever bit) select 'Template(.xlt)' from the drop down File Type
>menu. Now every time you make a new spreadsheet simply open the template
>first. All you have to watch for is that a: you don't hit Save and save over
>your template and b: when saving a new spreadsheet for the first time you
>remember to change the file back to 'Excel Spreadsheet(.xls)'
>
>Hope that's what you're looking for,
>
>Jake
>

>"robertwesley" wrote:
>
>> how do I have a new excel spreadsheet always open with pre-set headers and
>> footers?  There must be a way to do this.  I am tired of going into each
>> spreadsheet I open and re-entering my preffered set up; headers and footers,
>> row height, etc.

0
Gord
4/26/2005 7:10:48 PM
genius!

excel thinks of everything!

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> jake
>
> Do not open the Template.XLT
>
> Just open a workbook based upon that Template.
>
> Then you don't have a chance to overwrite and also the workbook is
> automatically an *.xls
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:50:04 -0700, "jake" <jake@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Make a blank spreadsheet with your preferences set up, then go to File>Save
> >As, call it 'Robert Wesley Template' or something similarly useful, then
> >(here's the clever bit) select 'Template(.xlt)' from the drop down File Type
> >menu. Now every time you make a new spreadsheet simply open the template
> >first. All you have to watch for is that a: you don't hit Save and save over
> >your template and b: when saving a new spreadsheet for the first time you
> >remember to change the file back to 'Excel Spreadsheet(.xls)'
> >
> >Hope that's what you're looking for,
> >
> >Jake
> >

> >"robertwesley" wrote:
> >
> >> how do I have a new excel spreadsheet always open with pre-set headers and
> >> footers?  There must be a way to do this.  I am tired of going into each
> >> spreadsheet I open and re-entering my preffered set up; headers and footers,
> >> row height, etc.

0
Jake (94)

Recording new Macro won't reset drop downs
The title pretty much says it all. I am creating a "Clear Sheet" macro. When recording the macro I am clearing all data from necessary fields. However, I have a drop down with 5 account code numbers and one blank spot. When I am recording the macro I reset manually the drop down arrow to the blank choice. When I complete recording and run the "Clear Sheet" macro it clears everything out fine, but does not change the drop down to the blank spot. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong, or perhaps a better way of getting around this problem. Thanks in ...

Can't enter new payees
I recently installed Money 2004 and it worked fine. It seems that about the time I tried to download a statement and had problems trying to read the transactions (I eventually gave up and deleted the statement), it quit allowing me to enter new payees. I can enter a transaction directly into the register as long as it isn't a new payee. If I try, I get a message saying "Money could not write to your Money file. The task could not be performed or another application finished this task before you. Please try again." I can enter transactions without a payee or with...

how do i set up a spam filter in outlook express
i have outlook express. how cani control the amount of spam i get? "phylrock" <phylrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8FD4D13-9233-4FA0-8961-06FC88BB622E@microsoft.com... >i have outlook express. how cani control the amount of spam i get? For Outlook Express support, you'll want to ask in the microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general newsgroup. Since you're also using the web based newsreader rather than outlook express, you might want to use http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.outlookexpr...

Outlook XP/ No profiles have been created. To create a new profile, use the Mail
I'm using a program called mapimail to create a new email and attach a file automatically. It works on every computer buy mine. I'm running Windows XP and Outlook XP. The error I get is : No profiles have been created. To create a new profile, use the Mail icon in the Control Panel. But I have a profile. What could be the problem? Thanks ...

set up exchange for local domain only
hi everyone, I want to set up an Exchnage server where users will be able to send to local addresses only. Is there any way that I can set this up? Thanks in advance, eddiec Hi Eddiec, This article should help you: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF025.html Regards -- Ben Hoffman MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin) http://www.ExchangeIS.com "eddiec" <chalk@NOSPAMnetspace.net.au> wrote in message news:uio4QaidFHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > hi everyone, > > I want to set up an Exchnage server where users will be able to send to > l...

How: Setting UTF8 as an application wide text encoding format
XmlTextReader myXmlReader = new XmlTextReader(args[0]); string en = myXmlReader.Encoding.EncodingName; //Console.WriteLine(x); Error: Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. HOW CAN I GET THE ENCODING NAME ? Basically determine the encoding type. Also How can I "set" an application wide Encoding ? I want all modules and everything to stick to and conform to UTF- 8. But somehow some methods automatically go to UTF-16 xmlguy, 1) What's args[0] in your example? Does it contain any Xml? In that case you first...

Excel (2000/2002) Slow to Save files with Many Worksheets
I have some files with nearly 200 worksheets, about 2.5 Mb (Not much data in each) which open in a fraction of a second (local drive on my new laptop), but take 20 seconds to save. I've checked all the FAQs and advice and tried everything. Still 20 seconds. I deleted all the names and data. Still 20 seconds. So I created a new blank workbook and just added 200 empty sheets. Not as bad - 7 seconds, but still outrageously slow. What in heaven's name is Excel doing all that time? If anyone could enlighten me I would be extremely grateful, especially if there is a way around the problem t...

Moving accounts to new business unit
We only have one business unit. We have about 400 accounts. We want to create a new business unit and move some of the accounts to the new business unit. The president of our company wants to see ALL records from ALL business units. A salesperson wants to see ONLY records from her business unit. How can we create new business units and move exising account records to the new business unit? Lynn 1) Create a new BU. (Sales 1, e.g.) 2) Make the parent BU of Sales 1 your existing BU. 3) Open the salesperson's user record, and select Actions | Change Business Unit, and change her BU ...

Update date & time in a cell only when worksheet is changed
I have a workbook with multiple worksheets. I'd like to have the time & date in a cell in each worksheet update only when information in that worksheet is changed. I don't change each worksheet each time I use the workbook. I tried =NOW(), but it changes the time and date in each worksheet. Hi, You need code for that. ALT+F11 to open VB editor. Double click 'ThisWorkbook and paste the code below in on the right. Change the cell to the one you want Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range) Application.EnableEvents = False Act...

Copy ws to new wb, loop for each ws
Hey Y'all, Thanks in advance! I have 6 workbooks. Each workbook has 29 worksheets, one for each division. I need to extract each divisions worksheet from all 6 of the workbooks, and consolidate them into a division workbook. The code I have works, but it's too big if I try to recreate it for each of the divisions. So, I figure a loop will be more efficient if I set up a range with each divisions code, but I need help with inserting the result from the loop into the filepath and ws names. Here my code Sub Mission() ' ' Sub Mission breaks these ...

Cannot create new forms or reports
I am using a database in which I previoulsy created forms and reports. I am able to create tables and queries. However, when I select the forms or tables object, the "New" button is greyed out. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks. Is the database suffix .mde or .mdb? If .mde, you can't even modify existing forms and reports. If a multi-user application, that can prevent you from creating/changing forms and reports. Try opening up Access by itself. Then find the specific database file in the Open dialog box and click on it once. Next click on the dropdown next to the...

Import New Table; Set Primary Key As AutoNumber
I've procrastinated long enough; I'm starting to learn Access now. I know a little actually, but not much. Anyway, I'm practicing with the NWind DB. I exported each table to an Excel sheet and then tried to import each Excel sheet to a new DB that I just created. A bit silly, but it's really helping me to learn. I though I had a handle on it, but when I tried to import the 'Orders' table, it comes in kind of weird. Under Field Name 'OrderID', the Data Type is Number, but I want it to be AutoNumber so I can create Relationships. I can't seem to ...

What are AutoComplete default settings? Can I change them?
I am making a text list down 1 column of at least 1000 rows. I need Excel to continue to scan all entries for duplicate text. Does anyone know how many rows above and/or below an entry, does Excel do the AutoComplete and highlight the duplicate entry? Is it changeable ie: if Excel scans for 100 rows, can it be changed to scan 1000 rows? Thanks! Check http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219730 fo possible solution -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

problem importing xmlss
trying to open an xmlss and I get a message problem during load and in the text box it says: Worksheet Setting I sess the errors are listed in a file c:\documents and settings\xxx\local settings\temporary internet files\content.MSO\580887f9/log but I can't find that file. How can I determine what's wrong with my xml file? Thanks in advance ...

Can Adobe Acrobat print all worksheets in a workbook?
Is there a way to convert all the worksheets in an Excel file (workbook) in pdf format at once or does each worksheet have to be converted by itself and placed in a separate pdf file. Thanks! Just select all the sheets and print. Per Erik On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:53:11 -0800, "Craig" <cjohnson@sar.org> wrote: >Is there a way to convert all the worksheets in an Excel >file (workbook) in pdf format at once or does each >worksheet have to be converted by itself and placed in a >separate pdf file. >Thanks! ...

New Folder on desktop contains "My Documents"
My mother's desktop has as its first icon a folder that contains "My Documents". It seems recursive and can't be removed by normal means (I don't want "My Documents" touched). Can it be hid or otherwise fixed? "Howard Brazee" <howard@brazee.net> wrote in message news:n710v5pppufsu50t2359mab9jffkv42h9d@4ax.com... > My mother's desktop has as its first icon a folder that contains "My > Documents". It seems recursive and can't be removed by normal means > (I don't want "My Documents" touched...

database restore error on new server
Hi, I have a new server which I am testing MS Dynamics 9. I installed SQL server, installed MS Dynamics. Then I created that company that we are using. This created a fresh database. I deleted that database and restored our original database from a backup (from the "live" server). After the restore, I try to login into MS Dynamics 9, and I get the following error: Unhandled script exception could not find stored procedure PSC.dbo.smDeleteTableEntries what should I do to get rid of this error? Thanks Hi Biren, Please use the KB 878449 as a gui...

Excel Column Headers
My column headers in excel are suddenly numbers instead of letters. How do I change them back to letters? Hi, Try Tools>options>general and uncheck R1C1 reference style "muggint" wrote: > My column headers in excel are suddenly numbers instead of letters. How do I > change them back to letters? Hi 'Tools - Options - General' and uncheck 'R1C1 Reference style' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "muggint" <muggint@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:62705491-9922-48B4-BEF6-115B578CF1C7@microsoft.com... >...

Importing data into Great Plains-new install 7.5
Trying to setup new Great Plains install, tying to import Vendors, Customers, Items, JE's AR transactions, AP transactions etc. Is there a way to do this without buying Integration Manager-I heard the table import feature is not reliable. Don't see the logic of typing data in-when most other accounting packages these days have reliable import features you don't have to purchase separately. Heard that people have had luck with macros to bring over master records or transactions. Anyone have any thought, or can provide assistance to expidite the process. I'm happy to p...

Unsure how to set up spreadsheet
Hi, I seem to be having a mental block. I want to set up a spreadsheet to track the condition of 48 knives on a piece of equipment. The equipment is checked once a week and each knife is reported on as follows - OK, Worn, Hole. I want to be able to analyze the data either using a chart or a pivot table but can't seem to figure out the best way to set up the data so that it can be pulled either by Knife # or by condition. Any suggestions? I would use one row for each entry into the table. Headers in row 1 Each row gets enough info to completely define that entry. Co...

Assign Case Owner as Logical Owner of Account set in Case
Is this possible? Sounds simple enough but what im trying to do is when a case is created I want the workflow rule to auto assign the owner of the case to be the owner of the account (selected on the case form through lookup). Is this possible, the only thing workflow (i can find) to set owner to is a static not dynamic or logical... Help pls any help would be greatly appreciated, i do not want to have to write a workflow rule for every individual account... ...

Jumping from One Worksheet to Another
I'm trying to set up a worksheet that when you click on a cell in one sheet, it brings you to a cell in another worksheet. Can this be done, if so, how? Insert>hyperlink or function hyperlink -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "DCost@sovereignbank.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:084f01c47ae3$355c1ad0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I'm trying to set up a worksheet that when you click on a > cell in one sheet, it brings you to a cell in another...

How can I copy the formatted value and paste as a new value(not the original value with formatting)?
Here are the examples about the problem which I am facing. eg1. The original value in the cell: 4/23/04 Formatted cell(DD/MM/YYYY): 23/04/2004 (In this case, the value is still 4/23/04) Expected: the value and the outlook are also "23/04/2004" eg2. The original value in the cell: 4.332 Formatted cell(truncate with 2 digits): 4.33 What I am now going to do is changing the value of cells with new format because a new system of my computer need to extract the value from the excel with specified format. But changing the format in excel doesn't really change the value of the cell. ...

How do i set up outlook?
I just purchased a dell computer and it came with microsft office? I am trying to setup my outlook email account but i am not sure where to start. do you have to have an existing email account like hotmail or yahoo to get this setup? Please help!!! Sheariep wrote: > I just purchased a dell computer and it came with microsft office? I > am trying to setup my outlook email account but i am not sure where > to start. do you have to have an existing email account like hotmail > or yahoo to get this setup? Please help!!! You have to have a mail account somewhere if you want mail. Y...

How to Add New Tab to CRM 3.0
I am new to CRM. Can anyone tell me the steps to add New Tab and further adding the Links for Forms. Thanks Labhesh Shrimali Bangalore - India Hi Labhesh; Do you have access to any of the CRM 3.0 documentation or manuals? If you are new, it will be helpful to use the CRM manuals to walk you through how to do this. If I understand your question correctly, you would like to add a Tab to an existing form and then add fields to the new tab. This is done using the Customization capabilities of CRM. First, I would recommend you take a look at these customization planning tools from Micros...