possible to run a spell check on a protected spreadsheet?

I have noticed that if a sheet is locked, it is no longer possible to run
the spell checker.  Is there a way to run the spell checker through a macro
or only on unlocked cells while the sheet is protected?  I know another
option is to run a macro that unlocks the sheet, runs a spell check on
certain cells, then re-lock it, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

any help is appreciated!
thanks, dan

Hi
AFAIK you have to unprotect the sheet before starting the spellchecker
(even for unprotected cells)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Dan wrote:
> I have noticed that if a sheet is locked, it is no longer possible to
> run the spell checker.  Is there a way to run the spell checker
> through a macro or only on unlocked cells while the sheet is
> protected?  I know another option is to run a macro that unlocks the
> sheet, runs a spell check on certain cells, then re-lock it, but I
> would like to avoid that if possible.
>
> any help is appreciated!
> thanks, dan

0
frank.kabel (11126)
2/17/2004 11:50:42 PM
One possible workaround (with some warnings):

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3D8A4B1A.233A604B%40msn.com

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

hide columns on a protected sheet???
When using MS Excel 2003: I have turned on "Protect Sheet" to protect some formulas from being deleted. Prior to turning on protection I unlocked the cells that I wanted users to be able to edit. And I have checked the box to "Allow all users of this worksheet to:" "Delete Columns". What I *don't* see on the "Protect Sheet" menu is an option to "Hide Columns" Do you know of any way that I can allow users to do this, without turning off the protection in MS Excel 2003? Check "Format Columns" option "under...

Check if a form has changed since it was last saved
I am developing an application using an ms access front end and a visual foxpro 8 backend. The application uses adodb connections to add/ update/edit data in the back end database. When a user clicks the save button on main data capture form the user input is programmatically inserted into a new record or an existing record is updated by creating SQL INSERT INTO or UPDATE statements on the fly. I was wondering if anyone knew of an efficient way of coding a mechanism to check if the form had changed since the save button was last pressed. I guess this can be achieved by capturing the On Chan...

Running Total Problem
Can anyone see the problem with my Running Total Query below? (I have used the same formula for Month on the query qryStatsTotalClosed as CurrentMonth on this one) Thanks in advance, John SELECT DateAdd("d",1-Day([Date Raised]),[Date Raised]) AS CurrentMonth, DSum("[Queries Closed]","qryStatsTotalClosed","Datediff('d',Month," & [CurrentMonth] & ")>0") AS RunTot FROM tblQueryInfo; Month is a reserved word, and shouldn't be used as a field name, and you can't refer to computed fields like that in queries: yo...

Code Check Request
Dear all, I have two tables, POs and Orders. POs represent purchase orders from our client, and Orders represent internal orders. One PO can be related to many orders. Each order has a Sales Rep (data in a different table, ID in Orders as FK). The PO number is not a unique ID in the client order data (as one PO can cover many separate client orders). Graphically, the structure looks something like this (* indicates a unique ID): POs Orders Reps Client Order ID* ORDER ID* PO Code <---------> PO NUM SALES REP ID <------- SALES REP ID* In theory, each PO...

Protection #5
I know I can protect individual worksheets and limit the areas that can be edited. Can I do this for an entire workbook? How? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You can use a macro to protect each sheet in a workbook. For example: Sub ProtectAllSheets() Dim ws As Worksheet For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets ws.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, _ Contents:=True, Password:="pwd" Next ws End Sub BannerBrat < wrote: > I know I can protect individual worksheets and limit the areas that can > be edited. Can I do this for an entire workbook? H...

Need to Prevent a protected sheet from being copied?!?
I have a spread sheet that contains sensitive pricing details not to b viewed by the users, but needed due to being referenced in variou equations. This file is to be used by multiple persons who will get this vi email, and then enter data into unlocked cells in order to get a fina 'price'. I have protected both the sheets and the workbook. BUT I can still hilight and copy individual protected sheets and the paste them into a new workbook at which point it is completel unprotected. Ultimately I need to email this to others. Is there a way to prevent this copying and pasting? Thanks...

check a range
Hi i have a worksheet that the user is required to enter data in row 27 columns c to z what i want to to is check the cell data entered in and return a value eg. if the user enters a value in cells C27 to J27 i want to return A in cell av1 if the user enters a value in cells k27 to R27 i want to return B in cell av2 if the user enters a value in cells S27 to Z27 i want to return C in cell av3 any ideas thanks kevin '----------------------------------------------------------------- Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) '------------------------------------------------...

Collocate previously protected data..
I have a lot of partitions that I would like to clean up to just a few (I understand the data type restrictions) in DPM 2010 RC. I have migrated from DPM 2007 which did not have the collocate ability. The question is can I mark the data as inactive and join it to a new protection group and collocate it that way? Or must it remain as currently configured? Yes you can use collocation when creating the new protection group. The older recovery points will automatically get pruned. Once all the recovery points on the inactive replica expire older replica/shadowcopy volume...

Macro giving different results each time it is run
Hi there, A month or so ago I created a macro by recording and saved it and have been using it well. Until recently the results have been incorrect. part of the macro is sorting the different products into groups and for some reason it is doing this incorrectly. Every time I run the macro the sorting results are different from the previous run and the information on the sorting is the same always. Any ideas ?? -- Niall Niall, recorded macros are just a starting point. They often refer to the wrong ranges when you want to run them on a different data set. Sometimes they are set ...

How to run program after startup 30 min
Hi All I want start program after startup 30min. Do you know how to setup in Windows XP ? Using vbs is ok for me or other suggestion. moonhk moonhkt wrote: > Hi All > I want start program after startup 30min. Do you know how to setup in > Windows XP ? > Using vbs is ok for me or other suggestion. You can use the Ping command in a batch file or script but I would recommend that you use the Sleep command from the Server 2003 Resource Kit. Just put a batch file or script (or shortcut to the batch file) in your Startup folder and use the sleep command in the batch...

how do you do reduce ratios in a spreadsheet
Having found the ratio between 2 numbers I need to express it in its lowest terms. Is there a formula for doing this when one number may be odd and the other even? Just divide by all common factors. For example if the ratio is: 18/27 then the single common factor is 9. Dividing by 9 yields: 2/3 -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200909 "Lucy Locket" wrote: > Having found the ratio between 2 numbers I need to express it in its lowest > terms. > Is there a formula for doing this when one number may be odd and the other > even? =A1/GCD(A1,B1)&...

How do I open an "excel spreadsheet file, extention .xls"?
I recieved an e-mail from a friend and it was an "excel spreadsheet file, extention .xls" and when I tried to open it with certain programs on my computer and none of them could open them. I guess the information couldn't transfer or something. Kameron, To open an xls file, you'll need the Excel program, or the free Excel viewer. Microsoft Word can open xls files, but don't save over the same name, or the formulas and other spreadsheet functionality will be trashed. I don't know what they're smoking at the Word shop. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com ...

Updating Chart Titles from Spreadsheet Cells
I'm using Excel 2002 and I want to be able to have the titles in my charts update based on entries in the associated spreadsheet. On a monthly basis I import data into a spreadsheet template that has a chart associated with it. It would be nice if the title block on the chart would update based on a cell in the spreadsheet. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi have a look at http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/dynamic_chart_title/index. html HTH Frank > I'm using Excel 2002 and I want to be able to have the titles in my > charts update based on ...

How do you stop run-away scrolling in Word?
When I start to scroll through a document in Word or PDF, something takes over and scrolling will not stop until 1) the end of the document or 2) I hit "abort" (Control, alt, delete) and get out of the document. What can I do to get control over this scrolling? Really frustrating! I doubt that it is a Word problem. How are you trying to scroll and what are you using: mouse, mouse wheel, touchpad? Have you changed the mouse settings through the Control Panel, MOUSE app? -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "Pas" <Pas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

Protection...
How do I unprotect a worksheet or workbook? I'm trying to unmerge cells and it won't let me do it. I think it might have something to do with me protecting it. Thanks Try this, Danielle: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/cell_locking_in_microsoft_excel.htm ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "danielle" <danielle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C66FA6C1-6366-46C0-87A2-D66BAC598B56@microsoft.com... > How do I unprotect a worksheet or workbook? I'm trying to unmerge cells and > it won't le...

Alternate names / check names
2 people - one's name is Charles and the other's Robert. How can users find them by Chuck and Bob when addressing To: either using Check Names or Find in OWA? Thanks, Jason Jason, There are a couple of ways you can do this. If you want them to show up as Chuck or Bob then you can change the users display name in AD. If you don't want to change this then you could also modify their Alias (on the Exchange general tab). If you change the display name then this is how the user will be listed in the GAL. If this is not what you want then you should probably use the Ali...

Outlook 2007 Checks Mail Every 60 Seconds
I started a thread on this topic a couple of weeks ago, and thought I would summarize in a new thread since the problem persists. I use Outlook 2007 with Outlook Connector for my primary POP3 and Hotmail accounts on Windows 7. All works well, except that Outlook checks for mail about once per minute. I do not have Fax Transport activated for my mail profile. Several people posted possible fixes as follows: * Rebooted and started Outlook. Reset Outlook's Auto-send period to every 30 minutes. * Opened Outlook using safe switch via Start, Run, "outlook.exe /safe&qu...

BUG: Charts are drawn in correctly in right-to-left spreadsheets
Good day! In beta 2, charts are drawn incorrectly when embedded in right-to-left sheets (when the A column is displayed on the right side, for example when using Hebrew). This bug existed also in Beta-1, and unfortunately was not fixed in beta-2. Thanks, Yuval ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then ...

From Dexterity, is another application running?
We have communication module that is invoked from a Dexterity command. At the moment, we are using a klunky and not too realistic timer to try to read for a returned file. We'd prefer to add to the robustness of our implementation by having some sort of method which would determine if the app. we opened originally is still running. What's a good way in Dex to figure this out? Thanks for your replies. Herb from Data Tranz, A good way to figure this out in Dex or any development environment is by invoking the winmgmts object. Function IsProcessRunning( strServer, strProcess )...

Manually run message rules on the server
Hi, Is there a way to run message rules (created by the end-user on Outlook) on the server, say on a daily basis ? The reason is that that person has ~50 rules, moving all incoming messages from his inbox to specific folders. Since he now owns a BES-enabled BlackBerry, these rules prevent him from getting his emails onto his handheld. The idea would be to run all the rules once a day, on his behalf, on the server. Exchange 2007 SP1 Thanks Christian Some rules, like moving messages to another folder in the same mailbox, will run server-side by default, depending on how they're create...

More 'correct' Item Quantities can be displayed in 'CHeck Stores
Because items are 'received' but not 'commited' until Supplier Invoice is in hand it creates floor/computer Quantity differences that may effect a sale. There is a 'received-but-not-commited' column in the PurchaseOrderEntry table called 'quantityReceived' which couldbe added to QuantityOnHand to give a true 'on-the-floor' Value. In a HQ environment when 'checking stores' it could be either added to QuantityOnHand or Shown as 'Rcvd-Not-Commited'. In any multi-store operation, knowing the other store qtys (Quickly/Accurately) can mea...

recovered but possibly corrupt file??
HI, i have an odd problem with an excel spreadsheet... I save all of my work on my C drive and while i was on holidays my boss deceided he would move all my spreadsheets ovet to the server so they could be backed up. to do this he took my main folder and 'Cut and Pasted' it across to the server! well, not long into it he received some kind of error about not being able to move a folder or something (possibly the desktop.ini file). all the files that it was in the process of pasting are now lost! they are not on either the server or on my c drive.. i managed to use some s...

Run-time Error 91- What does this mean?
VISIO Std 2003 SP2 I am getting this error when I open a Visio file. What does it mean? I don't have any kind of Add-In that I know of. --------------------------- MyAddIn --------------------------- Run-time error '91': Object variable or With block variable not set --------------------------- OK --------------------------- dbuchanan Hi DB, Somebody has likely sent you a document with VBA (visual basic) code in it. Hit Alt + F11 to get the VBA editor. View > Project Explorer to see the files in the code project. Dig around in the files, and delete all the code (if...

Lockink the scrolling of a cursor in a protected sheet.
Hi! Can someone help me please? I have a large worksheet that's protected and most of the cells are locked When I scroll thru the sheet with the arrow keys (left arrow key, for example) instead of stopping when it hits left side of the sheet (column a) it jumps all the way to the right of the sheet. The same thing happens when i scroll up with the up arrow key, it moves to the bottom of the sheet instead of stopping when i hit the top (row 1 It's driving me nuts I want it to stop when you reach the left or top, just like it does when the sheet is unprotected thanx in advanc Robert~ ...

Importing from another spreadsheet
I have 2 spreadsheets. One with raw data and the other is a form. Is there anyway to import one line at a time and have the data placed into specific fields? Once the data is placed into the field all I have left to do is print. Then I could import the next line. Thanks in advance for any help. ...