Pivot Tables #32

Hi - I have got to learn fast how to make pivot tables
from a database in Excel 2003.  I know how to set up the
database, however I just don't seem to grasp the logic or
procedure to set up the table.  Is there somewhere on the
web that I can go do get almost a step by step
explanations and examples to make them clearer?  Thank You
0
anonymous (74722)

There are instructions and links for pivot tables on Jon Peltier's site:

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

Can I filter a table on a time criteria?
I have a very large table of data in 10 minute intervals ie, 1:10:00, 1:20:00, etc. I would like to sort it to only the values (rows) for the top of the hour, ie. 1:00:00, 2:00:00. I tried an advanced filter listing out the 24 hour criteria. However it returned everything. Another possibility is if I sort the data by time the data that I want is in every 7th row. Is there a way to sort by row? or create a formula that I could drag down to give me every 7th row? Something like =(A2). Then =row(A8) If I highlight these two cells and drag them down the results are A3 and A9 when I ...

Getting Difference between values of 2 tables
Info: I have the following table that stores the total amount available for a particular Document: tblTotalAvail: ID CLIN Amount 1 0001 10,000 2 0002 30,000 3 0003 25,000 Etc... You get the idea. I have the following table that stores the expenditure for for the same document: tblExpenditures: ID DateFunded CLIN Amount 1 21-Jan-07 0001 2,500 2 30-Jan-07 0001 3,700 3 03-Feb-07 0002 11,000 4 14-Feb-07 0001 1,200 5 17-Feb-07 0002 7,500 Etc.... Here is what I am trying to do....I want to Sum the amount...

Table of contents font problems
Using word 2007, I have been trying to change the font of my table of contents. It is set at times new roman but the TOC displays arial (and in a different size). I have tried to modify the style via the TOC style in the style gallery and also by references>table of contents>insert table of contents>modify and it is set at times new roman but still inserts it as arial. I have not directly formatted my headings but used the default heading styles. I don't know what else to try? Check that the headings that are being collected by the TOC, i.e. Heading 1, Heading 2, e...

One partial table, one master table
I've got a listing of 3000 personnel. Personnel in column A, supervisors in column B. In a separate worksheet, I have a listing of 400 personnel in column A. Same names in column A, sheet 1 as in column A, sheet 2, just a shorter listing in sheet 1.(smaller worksheet). Short list: Sheet 1 Master list: Sheet 2 How do I get EXCEL to compare sheet 1 with sheet 2, and fill in the appropriate supervisor in sheet 1? You can use VLOOKUP to find the supervisors for sheet 1 from sheet 2 In the column next to the personell in the short list try this formula =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet...

Unhandled Database Exception-Save Operation on table RM_Customer_M
When Saving a change on a Customer Maint Card in only one of our databases we get the following error: Unhandled database exception: A save operation on table RM_Customer_MSTR (45) EXCEPTION _CLASS_DB. Thanks for your help, Jayne Jayne, Have you tried rebuilding the Customer Master table auto-stored procedures? In order to do this, go to Microsoft Dynamics GP > Maintenance > SQL, select the corresponding company database from the DDL, and choose Microsoft Dynamics GP from the Product DDL. In the table list, locate RM Customer Master, then check the Drop Auto Procedure and Cre...

Pivot Table Refresh Speed
Hello. I'm using Excel 2000. I've implemented a pivot table accessing an Access 2000 database. I refresh the data in the pivot table once a week, then email a link to my users. The problem is, whenever I refresh the data in the pivottable, it reads the data 10 rows at a time usually. Sometimes, it reads 70 rows at a time (at a time being about .5 seconds per read). Other times, it's even faster. I have a lot of data, and sometimes the update only takes a few seconds, other times I need to go make some coffee and socialize. Any way to speed this up? I've tried s...

How to add colum totals to a pivot chart data table
I have a chart for pivot table and would like to so totals for the data. The data table on the chart displays the pivot table data but not the totals for each column. How can the totals be displayed on the chart? Hi Tmarsh You can't include the Grand Total in a pivot chart. You could create a normal chart, based on the pivot table, and include the totals in that. On Jon Peltier's site, there are instructions for creating a normal chart from pivot data: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotcharts.htm Regards, Pedro J. > I have a chart for pivot table and would like to s...

Pass thru
In a Pass thru query, I want to select the meter_number, acct_period, prod_period, dth from the dbo.con_vols table and the mcf and btu from the dbo.meas table where the meter_number, acct_period and prod_period are equal to the meter_number, acct_period and prod_period in the dbo.con_vols table. Can anyone help, please? I know I need an INNER JOIN, but am not sure how to do that. Thank you in advance! On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 09:48:01 -0700, Liz C <LizC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In a Pass thru query, I want to select the meter_number, acct_period, >prod_period, dth fro...

Payroll Tax table update
Does anyone know when the new payroll tax tables automatic updates will be ready for download, Does this include the new rates for the new stimulus plan? Thank You ...

PiVot Table Formatting
I have a PiVot Table like this: Product ID Factory Sales 100 A 500 B 500 S 200 100 Total 1200 101 A 500 B 500 S 200 101 Total 1200 I want the the raws with total are in bold font. How can I do it? Thanks in advance. To enable selection -- On the Pivot toolbar, choose PivotTable>Select Click on Enable Selection To format the subtotals -- Move the pointer to the left edge of a subtotal heading in the pivot table. When the black arrow appears (like the one that appears when the pointer is over a row button), click to select all the subtotal rows for that field in the pivot table...

Reminder DB: Table Structure?
Some of my guys have asked for a "reminder" database. Did due diligence in trying to convince them to use MS Outlook... but no-go. First thing I did was to flip open my Palm Pilot and look at DateBk5's functionality. What I saw was: ------------------------------------------------------------ - Regular appointments (Name/Date/Description) - Repeating Appointments (every N days/weeks/months/years or irregular schedule) - Floating appointments - that keep popping every day from the first alert time/date until the user dismisses them --------------------------------------------...

Table size limits to 128 rows
I have a table in Word which is larger than 128 rows. 2003 Publisher can not convert or create a table larger than 128 rows. What are my options? Please don't tell me to break the large table into smaller tables... You don't want people to tell you to break the table but if you're limited to 128 rows and you have more than that - you may not have any other options. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A3F01C1-21D9-4FFC-B661-F303232BF9D6@microsoft.com... >I have a table in Word which i...

Remove BP tables from Dynamics database
I have a client who is currently running GP 8. I will be upgrading them to GP 10. Back when GP 8 was installed they installed but never used BP. So now the Dynamics database has BP tables in it. I want to completely remove all the BP 2.5 tables so that when I come along to install BP for GP 10 it does not run into any of those old useless BP tables. What is the best way to remove all of the old BP tables? The article 862544 in CustomerSource below includes scripts that should remove the BP SQL objects How to remove Business Portal 2.x https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KbDisplay....

error msg cannot convert parameter 1 from char[32] to unsigned short
I am getting this error when I am trying to convert some code to work in my app. My app is using Unicode. These errors occur 3 times, once on a string copy, a string compare and a selecting a string from a combo box. the code is using CHARFORMAT and all 3 statements have to do with cf.szFaceName. What do I need to do to get this to work. I have tried wcsncpy, wcscmp and I still get the error. Use TCHAR instead of char. Read UNICODE design guidelines in the documentation. "William Gower" <w_gower@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u%232N7GrmDHA.2068@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gb...

Removing table column buttons?
Is there a way to remove the sort/filter buttons from specific columns in an Excel 2007 table? Our tables have certain columns that are very narrow and that we will never need to be sorted or filtered. Furthermore, the buttons cover-up the heading labels in those columns. Is there a way to manually disable the sort/filter feature for specific columns and remove the buttons? We also notice that converting a range to a table often changes the column size, especially of smaller columns. Is there a way to prevent this behavior? Thank you for any help with these items. a couple thing...

Wildcard Table
Hello experts, I have a query based on a table...In the table is a column named "company." This column contains the names of hundreds of companies with duplicates and different spellings of the same company (I cannot edit/ normalize this table). In my query, I can use a wildcard to find all instances of a company. E.g., [ like *polo* ] to obtain every record of the Ralph L Polo Inc. company and its variations. If I wanted to search for another company, I would place another criterion on the line below (for an 'or' or on the same line for an 'and'). My question is...

Auto updating pivot tables using external XML data
Hi all, I'm new to Excel and have been playing with importing XML data and pivot tables recently. My goal is this: I have bunch of XML files in a directory. I'd like to generate pivot tables and "visualize" the data in them. Once my excel sheet looks good, I'd like to publish it as an HTML file so everyone else can view it using Internet Explorer. In fact, I already did all this. Here is the tough part though: These XML files get updated from time to time. And when I open the Internet Explorer, I want to see those latest data in XMLs. In my case, Excel publishes the ...

Pivot Chart
Hello, I am trying to create a stacked area Pivot Chart from a Pivot Table. I have negative values but am having trouble getting them to be displayed properly in the pivot chart. Currently, the negative values are displayed at the top and are "eating into" the positive series. I need the negative values to be displayed below the x-axis. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Aleksandr, This may be silly to ask, but... Did you try and adjust the y-axis scale from 0 to some number to a negative value (greater than the lowest negative value) to some positive value. Ex...

Verifying table structure...
Hi all, I've worked with databases before and have the general concepts of normalization, but of course when applying, it can become overwhelming. I'm working on creating a pond database for work that will record data from pond samples we collect. I want to "measure twice, cut once" and do as best as I can with the design of this database from the beginning... These are some of the tables I have: t_PondList (primary field of PondID, non-key fields of PondName, PondLocation, SampleFreq, GeogrArea, TestType, and SampleLocation) t_SamplerList (primary fie...

Query to add fake records from table
I have a table that contains real data and then I have a table that has dummy data that is needed for another program that I'm sending the file too. I need to figure how to put them in the same colunm in the table. Here is my statement. "Station Name & Item: [DBA_DEVICES]![deviceName] & " " & [DBA_ITEMS]![itemId] NEW [DocFinity Fake Records]![Station Name] & " " & [DocFinity Fake Records]![Item]" Where the 'NEW' is that is where I need to enter my other data is the same colunm. Below is what I'm trying to a...

Pivot Table Error message
I have created a pivot table in an Excel workbook. When I open the work book, I can a message telling me that there are errors that Excel has repaired and to save the workbook. There is also a log file that is as follows: Microsoft Excel File Repair Log Errors were detected in file 'C:\projects\marketing requests.xls' The following is a list of repairs: Repairs were made to PivotTable report 'PivotTable1' on '[marketing requests.xls]MarketingAnalysis'. but the message keeps happening each time I open the workbook, whether I choose to replace the cells or save...

URGENT: IF Function in Pivot Table Calculated Field
I am having trouble with an IF function call in the formula of calculated field in a pivot table. The pivot table has a calculated field called 'SDLT Tapes Required containing the following formula: =IF('Backup Media Type'="SDLT",'Total Backup Capacit Requirement'/220,0) where 'Backup Media Type' and 'Total Backup Capacity' are fields in th pivot table. 'Backup Media Type' contains text values such as "SDLT and "DLT 20/40". The field always displays a result of 0 even though there are rows i which the 'Backup Medi...

Pivot Tables 2003 v 2007
So I have an odd question.. I have a pivot table (created in Excel 2003) that links to data (also created in Excel 2003). This Pivot Table has a report filter that allows me to select dates. Right now I do not have the "all" selected in this report filter but actually have the days selected. When I add new data to the data.xls and refresh my pivot table it automatically adds the new dates and selects them automatically to show up in my Pivot table results... This is what I want to happen. Now, I also have a pivot table (created in Excel 2007) that links to the same d...

linked tables
Hi, I need to copy a linked table to a new table but the new table should not have a link. ie all the data and settings accept for the link to another db. How can I do this? Colm hi Colm, colmkav wrote: > Hi, I need to copy a linked table to a new table but the new table > should not have a link. ie > all the data and settings accept for the link to another db. Use a table creation query, e.g. SELECT * INTO newTable FROM linkedTable mfG --> stefan <-- On 4 May, 11:59, Stefan Hoffmann <stefan.hoffm...@explido.de> wrote: > hi Colm, > > colmkav wrote: &g...

How to know if a sale its enabled or desabled... (what table field #2
Hi, i have some useful RMS views at SQL Server level, the thing is that i cant find the field with specify if enabled or disabled a sale, i use SalePrice, StartSaleDate, and EndSaleDate, but no the enabled or disabled sale... which one is this? thanks in advance... Aldo ...