Pivot Table formatting #6

When I format my pivot tables I have "preserve formatting"
checked under "PivotTable Options", and "Autoformat Table"
unchecked.  Even so, I either lose portions of my
formatting, or different formatting is applied when I
refresh.  Does anyone know what I am doing incorrectly or
have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Phil
0
anonymous (74722)

Other things to try -- if they don't work, you could record a macro as
you refresh and reformat the pivot table. Then, run that when you want
to update.

--Instead of selecting the cells to format the numbers, right-click the
field button, and choose Field Settings. Click Number, and choose your
formatting options there.

--Before formatting cells, use the selection feature to cells.
    (Depending on your version of Excel, you may also have to
    enable selection. From the Pivot toolbar, choose PivotTable>Select,
    and click on Enable Selection)
For example, move the pointer to the top of a column in the pivot table
(just above the column's heading cell). When the black arrow appears
(like the one that appears when the pointer is over a column button),
click to select the column in the pivot table. Then apply the formatting.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
8/25/2004 11:50:57 PM
Debra -

Thank you for your suggestions.  My formatting problems
seem to be confined to bordering (underlining) the cells.
I had already formatted the numbers in the cells (as
currency) by fields as you suggest.  That formatting holds
during refresh, but you can't format borders using this
method, right?

I do have an Enable Selection (Excel 2000, Windows 2000)
but it only seems to work if I select each field
separately.  Is there a quicker way?  I also am not clear
on what the Enable Selection is really used for.  Any
thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks
Phil

0