Pivot Table counting a range

I have a sheet with following data
                       Names
__________________________________
             A        B       C      D      E       F
      1     ball    bell    cat    dog    hat   top
      2     ball    cat    jug    man   sun
NO  3     ball    dog
      4     hat
      5     top    cat

I tried to creat pivot table to count name in the range A1:F5

But the result I got was
Count of Name
Name             Grand Total
ball        3            3
hat         1            1
top         1            1
blank

The pivot Table didnot consider names in column B,C,D,E & F

Please advice me how can i get the table as shown bellow

ball 3
cat 3
dog 2
hat 2
jug 1
man 1
sun 1

Hi

Your data is not in a format that is suitable for analysis with a Pivot
Table in this way.
Create your List of Items in A1:A7 of Sheet2
In B1 of Sheet2 enter
=COUNTIF(Sheet1!$A:$F,$A1)
Copy down through B2:B7

--
-------
Regards

"viraj_av" <viraj_av@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a sheet with following data
>                       Names
> __________________________________
>             A        B       C      D      E       F
>      1     ball    bell    cat    dog    hat   top
>      2     ball    cat    jug    man   sun
> NO  3     ball    dog
>      4     hat
>      5     top    cat
>

> I tried to creat pivot table to count name in the range A1:F5
>
> But the result I got was
> Count of Name
> Name             Grand Total
> ball        3            3
> hat         1            1
> top         1            1
> blank
>

> The pivot Table didnot consider names in column B,C,D,E & F
>
> Please advice me how can i get the table as shown bellow
>
> ball 3
> cat 3
> dog 2
> hat 2
> jug 1
> man 1
> sun 1
>      14

> signature database 5164 (20100601) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5164 (20100601) __________

http://www.eset.com

0
Roger

Naming Ranges #4
Hi, When I name a Range on Sheet1, then make a Copy of Sheet1 to say Sheet2, then access the Define Names dialogbox, I can see the named Range listed twice. One is noted as belonging specifically to Sheet2 and the other appears without a sheet reference. When assiging a name to a Range, can I specify that it belongs to a certain sheet? Also, how would I change this code to assign the sheet name aswell? ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="myRange", RefersToR1C1:="=Sheet1!R1C1:R10C1" I am trying to assign a the name 'Column_Header_Range' to each sheet in my work...

Record Count 10-02-07
Experts, I'm trying to dynamically stored the record count from a subform into a field on my form. Now I have to look at the record count on the subform and manually entered the count into a field on form. There must be a better way. Please help! In the Control Source property of a text box on the main form: =[SubFormControlName].[Form].[recordset].[RecordCount] Where SubFormControlName is the name of the subform control, Not the name of the form that is the Source Object of the subform control. -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "Shiller" wrote: > Experts, >...

Count column difference
Hi Using MSExcel 97. I have two columns of data e.g. A1: A4, containing values 5,10, 3, 6 B1:B4, containing values 3, 8, 7, 4 I wish to perform a count (e.g. in C5) of the number of rows where the value in column A exceeds the respective value in column B (in this case count = 3, as A1>B1, A2>B2, and A4>B4). Just cannot get my formula right. Tried using an array (but difficult when comparing the difference between two columns), and COUNT. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Wizzy ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.co...

Pivot Table
I've this problem, when I drag the fields into the "Data" area, it will show as "Count of Q1 Results". But what I actually want is "Sum of Q1 Results". I would have to manually go to field setting and reconfigure from count to sum. It happens for all the fields I drag into the "Data" area. Is there any way around this? Thanks. If there are blank cells, or cells with text, in the column, Excel will default to the Count function when the field is added to the data area. If the column contains only numbers, it should default to Sum. Derrick wr...

How to paste a cells row from Excel to a PowerPoint 2003 Table row?
Hello! How to paste a row of cells from Excel to a PowerPoint 2003 Table row? PowerPoint 2003 pastes all the row cells values in every cell in the row in the PowerPoint table if I select the row in the PP table before the pasting. PP pastes the row as an overlapping column if I place cursor in the first cell of the target row before pasting. Best regards, Dima +7 9163876746 +7 9035093892 ...

Create Pivot Table Reports
I just finished installing Analysis Cube on the server, everything seemed working fine until when I try to create the Pivot Table Report (Tools->Analysis Cubes->Create Pivot Table Reprots). After I called up the pre-defined 'Definition ID' and click on the Excel icon, a message popped up saying " The WHTemplate.XLT file was not found." Anybody have any idea what that is, and how to resolve it?? Thanks. 1.) There are two pieces of software. Did you install both the server piece, and the client piece? 2.) Is Excel installed on the machine, on which you'r...

I would like to export the data from a drop-down list to a table
I have a form with several drop-down lists, I need to have the information in these lists in another document/spread sheet. Is there an easy way to copy the data in these lists to another location? The long way would be to re-type all of it. ...

Importing a table from Access query
What is the quickest and easiest way to do the above? Thanks in advance. Hi The way I usually do this is run the select query, click on the top-right box (which selects all records) and use Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste into my workbook. An alternative is to right-click on the query in the Database Window and left-click on Export. In the Save As dialog box, select ..xls type. -- Andy. "Trish" <Trish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6BF3DE22-6590-4CAD-9EE1-FC978A3BB63B@microsoft.com... > What is the quickest and easiest way to do the above? >...

named ranges in other workbooks
i have a range of cells whose values are validated from a list determined by a name the name is determined by a formula which references a range of cells in a different workbook (i'm on a office network...) the problem is: if the other workbook is open (on my desktop?) the name is o.k. and the validation is fine... but: if the other workbook is not open, the name results in an error i didn't think that this is the way it's suppose to work... AURGHH Mark, Do you use a full reference such as ='C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Book1.xls'!profit Bernar...

Write conflict error with ODBC link table
Hi, I have migrate my back end access tables to SQL Server. While editing data (ODBC link) from form, I receive Wirte conflict error 'The record has been changed by other user... Copying the change to the clipboard...'. The error allow me either copy the info to clipboard or drop change. In this case, how can I save my work to the table here? SF � "SF" <xyz@online.com.kh> ������ ��� ������ news:#F7F7OtcIHA.5160@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have migrate my back end access tables to SQL Server. While editing data > (ODBC link) from form, I...

Date range for a report
Hi I am trying to run a query and can't seem to nail down the right code. We use the access database to track files, incoming/outgoing correspondence dates etc. I am trying to run a query that show me files with dates in a follow up field of -60 days to +7 days, so essentially any follow ups missed in the last 2 months and up coming in the next week. This report is run on a weekly basis. Appreciate any help Thanks Assuming that the follow up field is actually a date/time data type, try this in the criteria: Between Date() - 60 and Date() + 7 -- Jerry Whittle, ...

Counting in a Report
I have the following entered for the Control Source in a group header text box on my report: =Abs(Sum([CountOfGoal])) Now in the footer of my report I want to add the result of those text boxes in another text box. What should I enter for the Control Source of that text box? Thanks, CEV "CEV" <chadv@advancebkg.com> wrote in message <evr8e50dpb@enews1.newsguy.com>: > I have the following entered for the Control Source in a group header > text box on my report: > > =Abs(Sum([CountOfGoal])) > > Now in the footer of my report I want to add the re...

Need a formula that tags one table based 2 columns in each table
I have two tables on one worksheet, Table A and Table B. Each table contains two column with X and Y coordinates, all values are numerical. The coordinate system is irrelevant. I need to "tag" all XY coordinates in Table B that have a matching XY coordinate in Table A. If Table A coordinates are in columns A and B, and Table B coordinates are in columns C and D, then I want to place the text "hit" in column E next to each coordinate pair from columns C and D that match a coordinate pair in columns A and B. The ranges for the respective tables have been named ACOORD and...

Formula to display Count of Days in given month, using list of Start and End Dates
I have a large number of rows that contain a start date and end date. I am attempting to generate a count of days within that date range that are in a particular month, for example, Jan of 2011. Any suggestions for a formula that could be used to display the amounts shown in Column C would be helpful. Layout is: A B C Start Date End Date Count of Days in Jan2011 1/10/11 4/7/11 21 2/6/11 3/1/11 0 12/20/10 2/15/11 31 Etc. Dave, I think the best way is to create a table f...

"How do I get rid of old records in an Pivot Table?
The spreadsheet gets copied each month to a new file and the data cleared out, BUT the selecetion in the Pivot Table still holds the data from Previous spreadsheets Debra Dalgleish has some techniques at: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot04.html AyPee wrote: > > The spreadsheet gets copied each month to a new file and the data cleared > out, BUT the selecetion in the Pivot Table still holds the data from Previous > spreadsheets -- Dave Peterson The web-link was very helpful, thank you. I was about to reprogram and build my pivot tables to get rid of the obsolete item...

Adding multiple tables in one report
I am trying to customize the default report Daily Detailed Sales with Tax. What i need to do is add the Tender Type (Credit card / cash / check) as another column in the report. So far i have found out: i need to add a column i need to import the TenderEntry table for the data I need to find out: How to import another table I have tried to import the table using sql UNION function, but that wont work for me either. any help would be greatly appriciated. Thank You Hi ED, The things make sense to me regarding the adding tables and fields which you can do and customized the .grp file. ...

Pivot table help I think !
Hi All, I have a report I need to create which goes as follows. I have a data list of around 56k records. The rows contain this; category 1, category 2, category 3, call id and Date I've created a pivot table with Cat1, cat2, cat 3 on the row area, Count of Call ID in the data area and date in the column area (this is grouped by Month). I'm looking at the months of Mar, Apr and May. I want to sort it, in descending order, by the difference of 'Count of Call ID' there is between Mar and May. If I cannot perform the calculation in the pivot table, is there a way of ungroupi...

range color from date and database
newbie done some homework on excel i would like to have a range change color based on date and time and a name from a database--or any suggestion for example if it is thursday and the time is betweeen 1 and 3 pm i want the range to be say light red if out of tinme range i want it to be light green also the cell above the range as long as time constraints are met to have a name from a datasource any suggestions or ideas apprciated i need to have data from either a database or from say another sheet where user can enter a form the data from the datasource would fill range values a...

Named Ranges
I have a file with over 100 named ranges. I would like to expand the range of the name on all of these names. Is there a way to use the replace command or is manually the only way to do this? [This followup was posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting with an email copy to keith. Please use the newsgroup for further discussion.] If the names refer to hardcoded ranges, i.e., Name1 =Sheet1!$A$2:$A$5 then you will have to either fix them by hand or write a VBA program that will make the change(s) you need. Alternatively, you use named formulas that adjust as needed. Suppose you have ...

Force data type from Text to Memo in a simple Make Table Query
I'm concatenating fields of various data types that upon completion sometimes reaches around 500 characters. Not huge, but larger than the Text limitation to which is what Access 2007 of course converts this. How can I force the data type to be Memo while I'm in the query so the resulting table displays all the data without any truncation. -- TIA Eric S UPRR I don't believe you can. I think you'll have to create the table first, and then append to it. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "E...

Pivot Table toolbar
Every time I edit a pivot table (Excel 2000)the toolbar launches itself and I have to then re-anchor it manually - this is very irritating! Is there any way to stop this happening? "GeoffS" <crammond-smith@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:39d201c355a8$a7f788b0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Every time I edit a pivot table (Excel 2000)the toolbar > launches itself and I have to then re-anchor it manually - > this is very irritating! > > Is there any way to stop this happening? I use Excel97 but it may be the same. You can have the toolbar on all the time, positio...

Pivot tabels -- Incorrect sorting of specific value in pivot table
A message was posted yesterday that has not shown up so this is a second attmpt. I have a pivot table that consistently places a value at the top of the sorted llist (bottom if decending) even though that value should be in the middle of the list. A sample of the values are ALC, SNO, CET, ESU, TEL, STR, JUN, NKA, NTL, blank. The JUN value is always at the top. Any value placed in the field that begins with J shows at the top. If the value is changed to any other letter, it sorts correctly. The data has been reentered at the source, the query checked, and the downloaded data chec...

table of contents
I am trying to build a table of contents from the headings in my employee handbook. I have heard that this is possible, and if I change the content of the handbook, the page numbers, etc. will automatically update. What is the process to accomplish this? I would appreciate any insight given. Thanks! ...

pivot table in reverse
I' ve got a spreadsheet with events as row headings, people's names as column headings and dates in the cells. E.g. Person 1 Person 2 Birthday 01/07/61 05/10/67 Anniversary 10/08/90 10/11/92 (Actually the list is much longer....) Now I want to make a new list list converting the above data to [dates (in column 1; event in column 2; person in column 3]. Sort of pivot tables in reverse......!! How to? Wim Hi, I may not be reading your post correctly but I think searching fo "Transpose" in the He...

How to read location, content of selected cell in pivot table data area?
Greetings! Am fumbling with the pivot table object, trying to work around some idiosyncrasies. Would appreciate help on two things: 1. How do I read the cell value when a cursor is located in the data area, and associate it with an item value or otherwise locate it in the data area with respect to the framing fields/items so I can flag the row as not ..visible? 2. Is there an on-line description somewhere of how the parts of the pivot table object fit together, and VBA access to them? To give an idea where I'm at - it seems a little wild to need to read the cell.pivotcell.parent val...