Pasting in Rows?

Hi. Would anyone be so kind as to enlighten me about a simple pastin
procedure in excel? I have a list (which I copied from a vertica
column) that I want to paste into a horizontal row in Excel. I jus
don�t see an option for this and the data gets put in vertically. Ther
are hundreds of cells to paste so I�m hopeful that someone with mor
experience can shed some light on the situation. I had the same proble
with Access.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

--
FattyLumpki
FattyLumpkin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2553

FattyLumpkin,
After you copy your vertical data go to the cell you want the new data
to start.
Then "right" click an "Paste Special"
Click "Transpose" and OK.
This help?
Dave

FattyLumpkin Wrote:
> Hi. Would anyone be so kind as to enlighten me about a simple pasting
> procedure in excel? I have a list (which I copied from a vertical
> column) that I want to paste into a horizontal row in Excel. I just
> don�t see an option for this and the data gets put in vertically. There
> are hundreds of cells to paste so I�m hopeful that someone with more
> experience can shed some light on the situation. I had the same problem
> with Access.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

--
Piranha
Piranha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20435

Piranha, unfortunately there is no option to transpose.  I get an option
for unicode or text. I'm probably overlooking something....

--
FattyLumpkin
FattyLumpkin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25530
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=389649

FattyLumpkin,

You are not copying and pasting this from Excell are you. Copying from
another
application and then pasting into Excel??

Dave

FattyLumpkin Wrote:
> Piranha, unfortunately there is no option to transpose.  I get an option
> for unicode or text. I'm probably overlooking something....

--
Piranha
Piranha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20435
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=389649

If pasting from another application, paste into Excel first as a column
and then do what pirhana suggested

--
Paul Sheppard
Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24783

Ok, sorry....I should have mentioned that I'm trying to copy a list fro
another source. What you're telling me to do now makes perfect sense bu
it does not want to past w/ the transpose because the number of cells i
not the same size/shape. I don't see a way to count this and there ar
currently 573 cells to paste.

Sorry, I'm sure this is pretty basic stuff

--
FattyLumpki
FattyLumpkin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2553
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38964

Do you realize that XL has only 256 columns?

So, that means that you should copy *only* the first 256 rows, THEN
"PasteSpecial" and "Transpose" to a row.

Then do the copy *again*, with the next 256 rows, and transpose to the next
adjoining row.

And then finish off with the remaining 61 rows of data.
--
HTH,

RD

"FattyLumpkin" <FattyLumpkin.1soiyb_1122217501.4363@excelforum-nospam.com>
wrote in message

> Ok, sorry....I should have mentioned that I'm trying to copy a list from
> another source. What you're telling me to do now makes perfect sense but
> it does not want to past w/ the transpose because the number of cells is
> not the same size/shape. I don't see a way to count this and there are
> currently 573 cells to paste.
>
> Sorry, I'm sure this is pretty basic stuff.
>

> --
> FattyLumpkin
> FattyLumpkin's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25530
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=389649

0
ragdyer1 (4060)

auto expand cells/rows?
Is there a way to force the row to expand as a my coworkers type in text data to a cell? Mike, If by expand, you mean have the row height automatically increase, use Format - Rows - Autofit. If you manually adjust the row height, it turns off Autofit. With Autofit on, changing the size (font) will cause the row height to adjust automatically to accomodate. If you have Wrap Text turned on (for a multiline cell within the cell's width) (Format - Cells - Alignment) the row height will adjust as you add/remove text from the cell. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon peri...

Paste Special #2
I have just upgraded to Excel 2003 and have a problem I cannot resolve. When selecting a line to copy and I use Paste Special Formulas, it actually pastes everything from the previous line - not just the formulas. Is there some setting to fix this? Could be that the formulas are actually there, but only the results of their calculations are being displayed.............click on one of the cells and see whats in the Formula Bar........... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "bblack" wrote: > I have just upgraded to Excel 2003 and have a problem I cannot resolve. > When selec...

Use VBA to change row height or width??
I know how to change the width of a column by using the following code: Columns(1).ColumnWidth = 14 The problem is that I can't seem to find an equivalent way to change the dimension of a row. Is there an equivalent Rows() object that I can use in a similar manner? thankx Ok... the following code allows me to change the dimensions of a row: Rows(1).RowHeight = 30 This works fine, but now I noticed that Excel will not allow me turn of my headings. When I click "View" and I try to uncheck the "Headings" option, my headings will not turn off. W...

Excel- Saving only unhidden rows
Have received a spreadsheet the contains many hidden rows. I want to save it with only the unhidden rows. Have tried Save Special-Values without success. How can I save only the unhidden rows. Hi I think you will have to copy visible rows only to new spreadsheet and save that to do this select edit goto special tick visible cells only then copy and paste on new sheet or spreadsheet Tina "arich" wrote: > Have received a spreadsheet the contains many hidden rows. I want to save it > with only the unhidden rows. Have tried Save Special-Values without success. > How can ...

need vlookup function to return the row number
I have a one column list of data (around 3,000 items) - and I am using the vlookup function to determine if an item is in that list using something like the formula below: =if(iserror(vlookup(A1,D1:D3000,1,false)),"not in list","in list") I would like to know if I can have this function return the cell address or row number to indicate the location of the item in the list - is this possible? Thank you for your time and assistance Use =match() instead. =if(isnumber(match(a1,d1:d3000,0)),match(a1,d1:d3000,0),"No match") =match() will either return an error (if...

need to chart sum of 2 rows in worksheet
I have a worksheet in which I have 12 columns to represent the months and my expense categories in the rows below. The last row is a Total row of all the expenses above it. One of the values I want to represent in a 12-month line graph is the Total row less the Misc Expense row. How can I graph this without creating a new row in my worksheet to hold just this calculated value? I'm very comfortable with writing macros if that's what it will take to accomplish this. Thanks, Barry ...

how to move data down a column, and copy it into a row
I have data like this dog cats birds snakes how can quickly move to a row like this dog cats birds snakes without having to use copy and paste for each cell Torres Hi Have a look at the TRANSPOSE function In your case it might be =TRANSPOSE($A$1:$A$4) HTH Michael Mitchelson "Dave T" wrote: > I have data like this > > dog > cats > birds > snakes > > how can quickly move to a row like this > > dog cats birds snakes > > without having to use copy and paste for each cell > > > Torres > What I do is to: 1. copy your ce...

How to delete blank rows
I am trying to delete blank rows using Chip Pearson's macro; also tried acouple of addins that delete blank rows. My problem that the cells are not really blank, apparently they have zero length strings. Is there a way to delete zero length string rows, or to convert zero length string cells to blank cells, and then run the delete blank rows macro? The cells' data was achieved via copy/paste from another sheet, which was achieved from formulas such as =IF(D29="","",ha). I tried such as =IF(D29="",G32,ha), where G32 is a really blank cell. But some of the f...

Hiding rows doubles workbook size on disc
Hi all, I have a macro workbook that only uses about 200 rows, but has a lot of formulae... On disc it is 1045 KB. When I hide all the rows between row 200 and the last row the size on disc goes up to 2045KB Is there any way to get rid of those rows (so the user just sees a grey area, non-clickable) without doubling the size of the workjbook on disc...? It's Excel 2000, on Windows 2000 Pro (Windows 2000 Server network...) thanks Philip Philip I have Excel 2002 and I don't get the size increase that you do. I think you are doing something to make Excel think the file ...

copy & paste
This isn't really an Outlook question, but I couldn't find an appropriate group for the question. Why is it so hard to copy and paste in Microsoft applications? They always want to pick up characters that I have not dragged over, and they often add characters that simply don't exist in the source, such as trailing spaces, and even carriage returns. Turning off "smart copy & paste" is a joke (I call it "dumb copy & paste) because these applications tend to do whatever they want anyway. Is it so much to ask that only the characters I have selected be copied? ...

Macro to select last row
I am trying to automate putting a sheet value into Row I. My manual method is to paste the formula in I2 (since values begin on Row 2), then go to A2, Ctrl Down until I hit the last record (there are cases where there are blanks so sometimes I need to do this a few times) and when I reach it tab back over to the same row in I and Ctrl-Shift Arrow Up and then Fill Down. Somehow this doesn't work very well when recorded as a macro, any suggestions appreciated. In my ideal world in fact once this script worked for a page I'd have a VBA script that would step through eac...

Excel 2003 - VBA
Hi; I would like to do a lookup with the intent of determining the row of the match. I have several years of data in a flat file and am interested in doing a vertical lookup confined to a months worth of data. To do this I need to know what row the month starts and what row it ends. Thanks, Craig Please don't do that. Use Pivot tables. Pivot tables can automatically group data in months. Pivot tables can read flat files. Pivot tables are a teeny weeny bit difficult to master. Once you have cracked the idea, you will save yourself years of writing (silly) lookups. Zumble. "...

Insert row(s) with vba
I'd appreciate some help to determine if I'm attempting the impossible... We have a workbook to generate proposals. Each proposal contains numerous sections. Each section has many line items. The first item in section 1 is numbered 01-001, the next 01-002 etc. The 01 is the section number, the 001 is the item number. Iuse the formula:- =CONCATENATE((TEXT($A$2,"00")),"-",(TEXT((RIGHT(OFFSET(A5,-1,0),3)+1),"000"))) to automatically generate the item number row by row. The value in $A$2 is the section number. This way I can use vba to insert a ro...

Display one number in a cell even though 2 numbers get pasted into the same cell?
I am trying to figure out how to format a cell so that it only display the first number, even though two numbers are posted in the cell. The reason that two numbers are posted in the cell is that I am copyin the data from a website and when I post it into excel, it is using HTM format to paste... For example, if I post a column, it will have numbers set up lik this: +3 -109 -3 -103 +11 -110 -10 -105 The +3 -109 would all be in the same cell. I need each one of thos cells to just display +3, then -3, then +11, then -10 after I past them into the worksheet. I want to take just the first...

Combining Rows
I am a beginner so please go slow. Using excel 2000. Is there any way to combine 2 rows into one. Example Spreadsheet: A1,A2,A3,A4,A5,..............BC3 1234567890,John Jones,1,2,55,............2222 1234567890,John Jones,1,2,535,............3333 The result I am looking for is; 1234567890,John Jones,2,4,590,..........3333 The logic is based on sort order. If I have col A1 duplicated "1234567890" , I would like to add some fields from the two rows and copy some fields from the second record. The second record is defined as the record with the greater BC3 value used to sort the tab...

Show two rows as a fraction?
13% 0% 6% 100%: calculated from the 3rd and 4th rows 1/8 0/7 1/16 3/3: entered by operator 1 0 1 3: entered by operator 8 7 16 3: entered by operator I have a spreadsheet with lots of cells like these. The top ro contains a formula that divides the numbers in the third and fourt rows. The fraction in row 2 is entered by hand. The problem is tha the fraction is often not changed when updated numbers are entered. The higher-ups who get this report have a very low tolerance for error made by other people. So, I am wondering if there is a way that I ca present the numbe...

cut and paste into Dreamweaver CS3
I see that after I updated from Word 2004, that I can only drag and drop into Adobe Dreamweaver CS3, not cut and paste. CS3 takes other application's paste, and Word 2008 pastes into other applications. Maybe I should report this as a bug? It's been reported--it's broken. Definitely a bug. MS says it's DW's fault, even though Word 2008 is clearly the problem. But you should use Help | Send Feedback to let MS know how inconvenient this is for you--the more reports, the higher the priority. Do the same for Adobe: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishfor...

Row height won't adjust to fit all the text
When I add long text to a cell the row doesn't grow and I have to manually adjust the size of the row to see all the text. Is there a way for the row to just keep enlarging so I can see and print everything? Hi if you exceed 1024 characters you have to enter manual linebreaks with ALT+ENTER -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "CMJ" <CMJ@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:E6F22C23-F92F-47EC-B517-AE76723EB851@microsoft.com... > When I add long text to a cell the row doesn't grow and I have to manually > adjust the size of the row to s...

Can't Paste from Non-Office Apps into Office 2004 Scrapbook?
I was expecting to use the Scrapbook to save clippings from web pages I browse with Safari. Why is it that MS won't let you paste text from other applications into the Office 2004 Scrapbook? On 6/18/04 11:10, in article vikr-66D594.10104918062004@news1.west.earthlink.net, "Vik Rubenfeld" <vikr@mindspring.com.invalid> wrote: > I was expecting to use the Scrapbook to save clippings from web pages I > browse with Safari. Why is it that MS won't let you paste text from > other applications into the Office 2004 Scrapbook? You can add just about anything from th...

Newb: Replicating rows that contain form parts
I am using Word 2003. I have a checkbox in the first cell of a row in a Word table. I add rows by hitting a hard return after each row. As I do this, all features (e.g., bullets, formatting) of each cell in the row are replicated in the new row with the exception of the checkboxes. Is there a way to make checkboxes automatically replicate as each new row is added? Thanks very much. You would need to use a macro to add the extra row containing the checkbox. -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on ...

Problem with pasteing graphs as picture from excel to PP and Word
Hi, I have a problem with pasting graphs from excel to PowerPoint and Word. When I paste graphs that are colorful and without fill effects they are ok, but when I change the fill effect to gradent and paste the graph to powerpoint document as picture it suddenly turns to grayscale. But if I paste it as Microsoft Excel Chart Object, Device Independant Bitmap or Bitmap it is ok and colorful. Does anyone know what settings should I change to make it colorful when pasted as a picture? ...

Copy and paste #13
Hi I wonder if you can help me Im dealing with numbers constantly performing finance reconciliations. I access customer figures via client access and then copy data required and paste into excel. Now Negatives will show as 100000- in client access and when i was on excel windows 2000 the 100000- used to convert automatically to -100000 (when doing paste ) meaning its seen as a number Ive now been put onto excel 2003 SP1 and the paste does not convert 100000- to -100000 meaning its now text and wont add up, causing me untold grief Our internal systems people asvise its not their job to assis...

Moving a Pasting Bitmap
Hi, I just tried to Move a Pasting Bitmap. But it seems to me it is very hard to erase the picture at the old position where mouse passed by. I have tried all raster-operation code in StretchBlt(). Please help. The following is my source: class CMyView : public CScrollView { CRectTracker m_Tracker; //a rect around the PasteBitmap CPoint m_ptPrev; CRect m_rectPrev; BOOL m_fFirstTime; } void CMyView ::OnLButtonDown(UINT nFlags, CPoint point) { m_ptPrev = point; m_fFirstTime = TRUE; CScrollView::OnLButtonDown(nFlags, point); } void CMyView ::OnMouseM...

Citrix Copy/Paste Dyanmics GP 10
We have just upgraded to GP 10 (SP2) from version 8 and are encountering a very strange issue. We use GP in a full Citrix Farm as a presented application and that works great, what doesn't work is coping and pasting from GP to the client. We are able to paste from the client to GP and from GP to GP if multiple windows are open. I have verified all the settings for Clipboard sharing and I have made sure that all the proper processes are running in the sessions. I am Stumped! Thanks for the help. Fliehigh Fliehigh: We had the exact same issue. I spoke with our IT guy and he sai...

Matching rows to an ideal row
Hello, I have an interesting situation, that I hope this deep well of knowledge ca= n help me solve. I basically have an ideal row of data in excel (each colum= n represents a different variable), and I then have a list of other rows wh= ich have varied values in their columns (as shown below). Ideal Row 40 20 12300 0.50 Row A 38 18 12000 0.48 Row B 45 11 12299 0.25 Row C 28 21 18000 0.52 What I want to now do is see which of these rows is the most like the ideal= row (based on equal weighting of the columns). The only idea I have, is to take t...