pasting excel data in a powerpoint slide

I am attempting to paste an excel data table in a powerpoint slide but once
pasted, the data is cut off.  If I double click and enter the excel data
table and resize the window from Powerpoint, the same data shown simply
stretches to the new size.  I have tried numerous ways of pasting from the
excel sheet and it still acts the same.  I tried a new workbook and was able
to resize correctly.  But to recreate all of the data and formulas in a
different workbook would be difficult.  Is there a setting or something in
excel that is not allowing me to resize this particular workbook?

Thanks ahead of time for your help!
0
James6891 (359)

Select and Copy the data you want to appear in the PowerPoint slide.

In PowerPoint select the slide you want to paste the data into, select Paste
Special and then select 'Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object.'

You will more than likely need to resize the pasted object.

If you choose to use the object itself to resize, you MUST select a corner
and drag it out to make it larger or in to make it smaller if you want to
keep the proportions of the font, table, etc. the same.  If you drag from the
top/bottom/side, proportions will be changed.

Alternatively, you can right-click the object and select Format Object from
the menu that appears - this allows you to adjust size, color, position, etc.

Paste Special also allows you to link the object so changes you make to the
table will be automatically updated in your PowerPoint presentation.  I have
found this rather useful as management is forever making changes prior to the
actual event.

Good luck.

"James" wrote:

> I am attempting to paste an excel data table in a powerpoint slide but once
> pasted, the data is cut off.  If I double click and enter the excel data
> table and resize the window from Powerpoint, the same data shown simply
> stretches to the new size.  I have tried numerous ways of pasting from the
> excel sheet and it still acts the same.  I tried a new workbook and was able
> to resize correctly.  But to recreate all of the data and formulas in a
> different workbook would be difficult.  Is there a setting or something in
> excel that is not allowing me to resize this particular workbook?
>
> Thanks ahead of time for your help!
0
FuadsCurse (15)
1/27/2005 4:53:05 PM
I have done this and when I doubleclick I get to the "edit" window, expand
the window to include the entire table and then click back into the
powerpoint slide, the result is simply that the original data content
stretches - it doesn't include the entire table - it just displays the same
data just stretched longer.  In the past, I've been able to accomplish this
with no issues.  But not this workbook - I wonder if there is a setting or
something I have done to cause the window resizing not to work?

Any other ideas?

"FuadsCurse" wrote:

> Select and Copy the data you want to appear in the PowerPoint slide.
>
> In PowerPoint select the slide you want to paste the data into, select Paste
> Special and then select 'Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object.'
>
> You will more than likely need to resize the pasted object.
>
> If you choose to use the object itself to resize, you MUST select a corner
> and drag it out to make it larger or in to make it smaller if you want to
> keep the proportions of the font, table, etc. the same.  If you drag from the
> top/bottom/side, proportions will be changed.
>
> Alternatively, you can right-click the object and select Format Object from
> the menu that appears - this allows you to adjust size, color, position, etc.
>
> Paste Special also allows you to link the object so changes you make to the
> table will be automatically updated in your PowerPoint presentation.  I have
> found this rather useful as management is forever making changes prior to the
> actual event.
>
> Good luck.
>

> "James" wrote:
>
> > I am attempting to paste an excel data table in a powerpoint slide but once
> > pasted, the data is cut off.  If I double click and enter the excel data
> > table and resize the window from Powerpoint, the same data shown simply
> > stretches to the new size.  I have tried numerous ways of pasting from the
> > excel sheet and it still acts the same.  I tried a new workbook and was able
> > to resize correctly.  But to recreate all of the data and formulas in a
> > different workbook would be difficult.  Is there a setting or something in
> > excel that is not allowing me to resize this particular workbook?
> >
> > Thanks ahead of time for your help!
0
James6891 (359)
1/27/2005 6:17:03 PM
Embedding an Excel worksheet into a PowerPoint slide and having it look
the way you want hasn't always been easy.

Here's what works best for me (although someone may have a better
procedure):

1.) In your slide, do the menu sequence Insert>Object.
2.) With "Create New" chosen on the left, pick "Microsoft Excel
Worksheet" from the list of Object Types and click OK.
3.) This puts a blank worksheet into your slide that you can actually
work on from within PowerPoint. (You'll notice that the menu and
toolbars at the top are now Excel menus and toolbars.)
4.) If you have already created your Excel worksheet in Excel, then
open Excel and open that worksheet (but keep the slide created in step
3 above open).
5.) Highlight the area of the Excel worksheet that you want embedded in
the slide.
6.) Do Copy (either Ctrl+C or Edit>Copy).
7.) Toggle back over to PowerPoint, click in the appropriate cell in
the embedded blank worksheet created in step 3 above and do paste. (Do
NOT click off that worksheet yet, however - keep it active).
8.) You can now size that embedded worksheet to increase or decrease
the number of visible rows and/or columns via the black handles.
9.) To increase or decrease the number of visible rows, use the black
handle at the bottom. To increase or decrease the number of visible
columns, use the black handle on the right. (The black handle at the
top can only be used to decrease rows, but not increase them.
Likewise, the black handle on the left can only be used to decrease
columns, not increase them.)
10.) Once you've gotten the number of rows and columns the way you
want, click off the worksheet (in other words, click in a blank area of
the slide).
11.) Your worksheet now becomes an object. If you click on it, white
handles will appear, and you can drag and drop it anywhere you want on
the screen.
12.) While in this object mode, you can resize it as an object but not
increase or decrease the number of visible rows or columns. (NOTE: to
resize it proportionally, use only the white handles in the corners.
Using the top or side handles will stretch or compress the object
disproportionally.)
13.) You may very well need to make it smaller if the number of rows
and/or columns will not fit on the page. Once you make it smaller (or
larger if you want, for that matter), get the object back to a
worksheet to increase or decrease the number of visible rows and/or
columns. Some trial and error with sizing the object using the white
handles before increasing or decreasing rows/columns may be called for.
14.) To get the object back to worksheet mode, right-click on it then
choose Worksheet Object>Edit from the dropdown menu.
..
I hope this helps - let me know.

Paul

0
psimon (29)
1/28/2005 1:37:09 PM
Just thought I'd better emphasize 2 points in the procedures I posted
above.

1.) The embedded Excel worksheet object can either have white handles
or black handles.
2.) To get white handles, SINGLE-click in the object.  In this mode,
you can move or size the object but not increase or decrease the number
of rows or columns or edit the data.
3.) To get black handles, DOUBLE-click in the object (or right-click on
it then choose Worksheet Object>Edit from the dropdown menu).  In this
mode, you can increase or decrease the number of rows or columns
(remember to use the handles at the bottom or right side only) or edit
the data but you cannot size the object.  (You can, however, move it
but grabbing a non-handle part of the border and dragging the object.)

0
psimon (29)

How do I add a total to a stacked bar graph in Excel
I am using Excel for some graphs in Powerpoint and we are using stacked bar graphs. Does anyone know how to add a total on a stcaked graph? I can add individual values but I am looking for total per bar. the simplest way is to copy the data with the totals into the chart. select the section of the bar equal to the totals and change the axis to secondary add the series values and in paterns select none for fill and line. in th elegehgend select the line for the totals and clar all. "Greg L" wrote: > I am using Excel for some graphs in Powerpoint and we are using stacked bar...

macros in excel #4
Is it possible to set up a macro in excel to print report with conditions "Jai" wrote: > Is it possible to set up a macro in excel to print report with conditions Can you elaborate on "Conditions" and what kind of report it is? May be I can pitch in .. I am a beginner too, but I can look around. I am trying to set up a report from database of vendors. Each vendor has it's own number. Some vendors are grouped together. In report, there should be list of each vendors and all grouped vedors should have subtotal for its data. I know it's easy to do a subt...

export excel macros
I am gettting a new computer from my IT staff this week. Is there a way to backup all my personal macros. I have done a search for personal.xls and have not come up with anything. Can anyone provide answers. Brad Wilson nctarheelfan@hotmail.com Hi search for your personal.xls in your xlstart folder -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Brad wrote: > I am gettting a new computer from my IT staff this week. Is there a > way to backup all my personal macros. I have done a search for > personal.xls and have not come up with anything. Can anyone provide > answers. &...

Excel Database
I'm developing a database in Excel and I need some help with macros. The scenario: It's a database of drink short takes for a bar. Each tab has a different summary category, such as spirits, wines, cocktails, etc... Cells in each summary tab links to a new tab, where the data for that entry is explained (the short take sheets themselves). Short take planner Now, imagine a simple monthly calendar, each cell corresponding to each day of the month that has a drop down list of values to choose from. First, I would like to make this drop down list show data from the...

Preserving Cell Formats in Excel Query
I am doing queries on a large workbook of multiple Excel spreadsheets. When I query the data, the original data formats don't carry through to the query results. Is there a way to carry original formatting through to Excel Query results Any insight would be appreciated Karen S No, you can import the data, but not the formats. If you're importing programmatically, you could apply the formatting as part of the import procedure. Karen S wrote: > I am doing queries on a large workbook of multiple Excel spreadsheets. When I query the data, the original data formats don't car...

Hidden data when pasting from html page into Excel?
I have a situation where I copy a report, which is generated as an html page, into Excel for analysis. When a new copy/version of the report is available, I copy and paste the new data over top of the old in Excel. I've noticed that the size of my Excel file is growing after each copy/paste situation. To manage this, I can delete the worksheet where I paste the data and reconstruct it. After doing nothing else, saving the workbook results in an immediate reduction of file size. If I simply select everything on the sheet and delete, the file size does NOT go down; I have to delet...

Outlook 2002 and Retrieving Data Error Message
OS is Windows XP SP1 Email - Outlook 2002 SP3 Error Message: Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange Server <server name>. You can cancel the request or minimize this message to the Windows taskbar until Outlook closes the message automatically. Other Related Issues: At times, the message displays the correct server name and sometime it does not. At times, it displays the name of an active directory server. This only happens to workstations located in an remote office connecting to the exchange server via ADSL\VPN connection. We have one exchange 2003 server - public...

divide so no error Excel 2007
I have a simple issue. I have two cells with numbers and I want to divide one by the other and set it up on many cells. Problem is if I enter the folmula befor there are actually numbers in the two cells I get the Divide by 0 error (#DIV/0!) So How can I divide A2 / B2 only if it won't produce an error? =IF(B2=0,0,A2/B2) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Striker" <striker3070@qwest.net> wrote in message news:%23CnsJAoRJHA.5244@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... >I have a simple issue. I have two cells with numbers and I want to divide >one by the other and set it up ...

Chart wizard funcitonality in Excel 2007?
I hope I'm missing something in Excel 2007. In Excel 2003, the chart wizard gives you access to lots of options when you create a graph--graph type, data range, the various series (including the X axis labels), the chart title and axis titles, gridlines, legends, and others. It doesn't take long to create the graph with most of the options you want and then tweak it pretty quickly. In Excel 2007, it seems that every option is a separate button/menu/choice. Setting the chart title, the x-axis title, and the y-axis title are three different operations. Ditto for pretty much everyt...

Historical Excel question re: statistical capabilities
Does anyone know approximately when Excel started shipping with statistical functions built in- or know how I can find out? In the pre-spreadsheet days of my computing past, I used BASIC to code statistical functions necessary for my profession. As spreadsheets became more advanced, we all transitioned to using the advanced functionality. My question is when did this occur? Did Excel always have its current complement of statistical functions? Thanks slingsh0t@hotmail.com shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.misc: > Does anyone know approximately when Excel started shipping...

map data (x-y axis) with diffent series name
I have a set of x-y coordinate data set and i would like to plot them showing the respective series name. Is there an automatic way of doing this without haing to plot the data points separately. eg Name x y A 1 6 B 2 3 C 3 4 D 4 2 E 5 5 .. . . .. . . .. . . I will like to have a plot of x and y with A, B, C as series name without having to plot the points one after the other. Hi, Here are a couple of free addins that allow you to link data labels to cells. Rob Bovey's Char...

Formula result shows as zero Excel 2003
Formula as shown =IF(C12<>"",+C11-C12,"") appears in D12. This is the same formula as rows above but rows above show correct result whereas D12 and subsequent rows show only zero. If I do an F2 and F9, the correct result shows in the Formula Editing bar so formula is working correctly. I have tried copying both formula and cell formatting from previous rows which do display their result correctly but still doesn't fix the problem. Any assistance would be much appreciated Hi maybe automatic calculation is disabled. Check 'Tools - Options - Calculate...

paste-linking annotating text boxes
I'm trying to insert an Excel chart into a PowerPoint presentation and link it dynamically. The data link is not an issue but I cannot find a practical way to paste the text boxes that were added to the Excel chart by way of annotation. Selecting and pasting the chart itself and the textboxes as if they were separate objects results in a distorted PowerPoint layout. Is my only choice to add the text boxes anew in PowerPoint? Select the chart prior to adding the textbox. The textbox then will be part of the chart, rather than just another drawing object floating above the worksh...

opening excel worksheet
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel whenever I try to open an existing excel worksheet it opens very short. I have to drag it down to the bottom of the screen, is there a setting that i need to adjust? No, simply SAVE the workbook after you adjust it. Next time, it will open at the size you want. On 27/03/10 6:42 AM, in article 59bb6065.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "scrapper@officeformac.com" <scrapper@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel > wh...

Using Queries in Excel
What are the best practices for using database-like queries in Excel. Let's say you wish to join to sheets together och view a subset of columns in a third sheet. I've tried several different methods, but I dont think any of them are completely good. I've used VLookup, Index, MS Query. (MS Query must be the must forgotten MS product in history. It's like a time machine back to Windows 3.11) I've also tried alot of different methods for searching a range, based on more than one criteria, and display the result, either a single value or a sum based on several rows. Here i&#...

Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange Ser
Hi I keep getting a msg saying "Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange" everytime i try and send a mail... the mail then gets stuck in my outbox. I still receive all email and this only happends over one particular broadband connection??? If i use dial up it works and if i go to some other broadband connection it works... any ideas? _VERITAS_ wrote: > Hi > I keep getting a msg saying "Outlook is trying to retrieve data from > the Microsoft Exchange" everytime i try and send a mail... the mail > then gets stuck in my outbox. I s...

Import plain text with formulas into Excel
I'm having some trouble in Excel. If I create a plain text file like the following: 1,2,3 4,5,6 =sum(a1:a2), =sum(b1:b2) Nothing can be done as if in spanish is (SI), iserror is (ESERROR), and so on. This really sucks as I can't just install other software on the server nor make other modifications. I don't know what Microsoft was thinking when they translated the versions; any Excel version should accept it's language commands and English commands, but well, that's too much to ask for... Any good sugestions? Regards -- schmiedel ---------------------------------...

cannot filter excel files in "files of type"
I have Outlook 2003, and when I try to add an attachment, I cannot filter based on Excel files in "Files of type". Excel is the listed but other like Word are. The entire Office 2003 suite is installed on the PC and I tried reinstalling to no avail. Also, Customize is grayed-out under the tools menu in Outlook\new mail message. Please help me out. thanks. Sorry, I mean to say Excel is NOT listed under "Files of Type" "wli2k2" wrote: > I have Outlook 2003, and when I try to add an attachment, I cannot filter > based on Excel files in "Files ...

excel error "no more new fonts..."
Using Excel 2002. Pretty large sheet with about 60 tables. refuses to copy and paste a table. Getting error message "no more new fonts may be added to this workbook" cannot find anything anywhere on this error. ...

Formatting hyperlinks in an Excel cell 02-16-10
Two of the columns in a spreadsheet (Excel 2003) that I use record email and web addresses. All of them appear as hyperlinks i.e. blue and underlined but some occasionally seem to lose their hyperlink properties. This means that when one hovers over them, the cursor stays as the usual Excel cross rather than changing to the hand/finger symbol. Also, clicking on the former does not launch the browser. Is there any way to ensure they are formatted, and work, as hyperlinks please? TIA V ...

Saving data #2
Hi all, I need to save data (results) from a base spread sheet program that i use on a weekly basis. i am in the middle of building this program, and have just discovered macros, but this, along with links is about my current knowledge of excel how can i automate to accumulate data from the base spread sheet (program) when i clear all data from the program to produce fresh results the following week, and to keep past data up to date and available for further use. Any help would be appreciated. legepe With a combination of formulas and dynamic named ranges, it is possible to just add the ...

Import and Export from/to Excel query
I need to import and export Excel files in and out of Outlook 2003. When I try and do it I am told I don't have the correct translator and do I want to install it - when I say yes it tells me to put in the CD - when I put in the CD it doesn't install but just freezes up and I have to cancel - the file it tells me I need is L4561403.CAB How and where do I install L4561403.CAB which I assume that I can find on the CD?? TIA for any help. Brian Tozer KiwiBrian <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote: > I need to import and export Excel files in and out of Outlook 2003. > When ...

Parse multiple text lines into 1 line in excel
help. I am an excel beginner and can't find out how to turn multipl lines of text into 1 row in excel. It's probably really easy but m manual is USELESS. Can anyone help ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com debbie You're a little short on details. If nothing below fits the bill post back. "Multiple lines" is how many and is each line in a separate cell down one column? Do you want all lines to go into one cell? You can use this form...

Excel 2002 is scrolling to the very bottom of my spreadsheet
When I open Excel 2002 my spreadsheets are scrolling to the bottom by itself. If I move it back to the begining it scrolls back to the end. What is going on? Perhaps Speech Recognition is turned on. It can cause some strange behaviour. Choose Tools>Speech>Speech Recognition (if it had a check mark, it was turned on) Dennis wrote: > When I open Excel 2002 my spreadsheets are scrolling to the bottom by itself. > If I move it back to the begining it scrolls back to the end. What is going > on? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contexture...