paste special | values should work with merged cells

When you use past special | values, and try to paste a large bunch of data
with merged cells into another sheet, it will not let you paste just the
values.  This requires un-merging the cells.  The problem that I have with
this, is that the error message makes NO sense.  It says "This operation
requires the merged cells to be identically sized".  Well, guess what?  They
are!!!  I just copied them in from another worksheet.  I even used paste
special | column widths to ensure that the were indeed the same size.  I
don't understand what the big deal is anyway?  If Excel can paste formulas
into merged cells, why not values?  I think that this should be fixed.
Thanks!

FYI, I am a highly advanced user of excel and the obvious workaround is to
unmerged the cells, paste and remerge them.  It is just a pain in the butt
and like I said, if you can paste formulas using merged cells, why not
values?  It makes no sense!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=8f38a4fb-59e0-4969-934a-d3d156dcf4b4&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc

I realize that this was mostly a rant, but there are a couple of nuggets.

The error message is indeed in need of fixing, since the "size" it
refers to has nothing to do with column widths. Instead it relates to
the number of rows and columns. But Paste Special/Values chokes even if
they are identical, down to the position of merged cells.

A potentially easier workaround is to Copy and Paste Special/Formulas,
then Copy the pasted area and Edit/Paste Special/Values, which works.

OTOH, given all the other problems merged cells cause (sorting,
formatting, selecting), I always recommend that they be done away with
entirely. Format/Cells/Alignment/Center Across Selection often solves
the problem that the merges are used to fix.

In article <8F38A4FB-59E0-4969-934A-D3D156DCF4B4@microsoft.com>,
 "PastingSpecial" <PastingSpecial@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> When you use past special | values, and try to paste a large bunch of data
> with merged cells into another sheet, it will not let you paste just the
> values.  This requires un-merging the cells.  The problem that I have with
> this, is that the error message makes NO sense.  It says "This operation
> requires the merged cells to be identically sized".  Well, guess what?  They
> are!!!  I just copied them in from another worksheet.  I even used paste
> special | column widths to ensure that the were indeed the same size.  I
> don't understand what the big deal is anyway?  If Excel can paste formulas
> into merged cells, why not values?  I think that this should be fixed.
> Thanks!
>
> FYI, I am a highly advanced user of excel and the obvious workaround is to
> unmerged the cells, paste and remerge them.  It is just a pain in the butt
> and like I said, if you can paste formulas using merged cells, why not
> values?  It makes no sense!
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

When I am in one cell highlight another
Hello, When I am in one cell highlight another. Lets say that if my cursor is in A1 I want D1 highlighted or with another cursor on it. Then if I move to A2, D2 should be the one with another cursor or highlighted. Thank you for your help, Jose Juan Diaz hi, Jose Juan ! > When I am in one cell highlight another > ... if my cursor is in A1... D1 highlighted or with another cursor on it. > ... if I move to A2, D2 should be the one with another cursor or highlighted. 'put' a cursor on non-active-cell... [I don't think it's possible] :( to highlight 'D' wh...

Cells print so small I cannot read numbers. How do I fix?
I have been working with page break. Now I have the grid on 1 page..but it is far to small to read. now when I try to spread it back to 2 pages, it just takes the same tiny microscopic type and spreads it into 2 pages. I am stuck printing tiny type. How can I get the grid cells back to a size that is readable. It sound like you have selected Fit to 1 page in File > Page setup > Page > Scaling. Either select to fit it to 2 pages or select Adjust to 100% size -- HTH Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland and the crowning place of kings sandymann2@mailinator.com Repl...

Copying and Pasting Between Published Documents
Hi I have created a 132 Document in Publisher 2007 I needed to make a highly customised and intelligent Index so I created a second document and typed the index in that, having both documents open on extended Windows Pages I thought it would be easy to move the index from the second document into the first document containing the text It does not appear possbible to copy and paste table pages between the two publisher documents Is there any way I can accomplish this task without retyping the Index in the first document Roger Stenson Roger, 1. Create on your 132 page document a bla...

Why does copy and paste between eMails not work?
Copy no longer copies to the clipboard. Is there a setting I have deleted somewhere? Using Windows 7 and Office 2007 proffessional. Does it work if you restart outlook? Do you have any addins installed that could be erasing the clipboard? I've seen this happen with addins and contacts, but not email. to test, open the new message form before copying so you just need to copy and switch to the other message. (http://www.slipstick.com/Contacts/clipboard.htm) -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Cent...

Process all cells in a (user) selection
I am using this code to give me cell by cell access to a code defined selection; Dim aCell As Range For Each aCell In Sheet4.Range("A4:A34") ' Do Stuff Here Next aCell which processes every cell in the A4:A34 Range How do I do the same thing for a selection drawn by the user before pressing my 'Process' button ? Thanks On 05 May 2010 11:10:21 GMT, Isis <isissoft@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote: >I am using this code to give me cell by cell access to a code defined >selection; > >Dim aCell As Range >For Each aCell In S...

How to Change Value of Active Control
I'm writing a routine to change the value of any Active Control to null. I can get the name of the control using ActiveControl.Name but I can't figure out the syntax to change the value of this control. I've tried assigning it to variables but variables aren't working in a: Forms![variable]![variable] = "" Help "Sondreli" <Sondreli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA05A840-2AFE-4F98-ABE9-5D2DD17AE0B8@microsoft.com... > I'm writing a routine to change the value of any Active Control to null. > I > can g...

Max of value from DataGroup2 within DataGroup1
Hello - I have a table with data as follows below. I am trying to build a query that will give me the record with MAX of specDiffMax [value] for each TestFreq [DataGroup 2] within each TestNum [DataGroup1]. ID TestNum TestFreq specDiffMax -------------------------------------------- 4889683 Test 1 1710 3.669998 5123289 Test 1 1710 2.882999 4817314 Test 1 1710 3.102001 5134007 Test 1 1710.2 3.573002 4896056 Test 1 1710.2 3.355 4914480 Test 1 1710.2 3.515999 4889685 Test 2 1710.4 3.333 4896057 Test 2 1710.4 3.450001 4914481 Test 2 ...

Outlook and Hotmail -- now works again! For some not all?
Received from MS: <<Recently, Hotmail� announced that ... Hotmail will no longer allow new e-mail accounts to be accessed via Microsoft� Office Outlook� and Outlook Express. [BUT....] <<We are pleased to inform you that because you are an existing and valued customer, at this time your current Hotmail and MSN account(s) are exempt from this restriction and you will be able to continue enjoying access to those accounts from Outlook or Outlook Express. However, any new Hotmail or MSN accounts you create will not be accessible via Outlook or Outlook Express.>> ....an "...

think cell program
is anyone familiar with a program called think cell? Any thoughts? (powerpoint v 2003). Is this an add-in? thanks Sara It's very good. You can "try for free" from their website: http://www.think-cell.com/ Recent interview with one of the founders on Indezine: http://blog.indezine.com/2009/12/think-cell-conversation-with-markus.html -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT 2010? http://www.echosvoice.com/2010.htm Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/3...

Validation Rule for field values
I have a database that includes a phone number field. I want to prevent a user from creating a new record that contains a phone number that is currently in a record that exists in the database.I am using a form for data entry into the table. Somehow I'd like for there to be a check to see if the phone number typed into the phone number field to be checked against existing phone numbers in the database.I've researched various sources but haven't been able to find the solution. I'm not familiar with VB so any replies that suggest using that will probably not work for me. Sorry, j...

How do I convert time (hh:mm) to value ($$) in Excel?
Would like to calculate cost of time. Eg. Cost for production down time per minute is $100. Says production doen for 3.5 hrs, what is formula shall I apply in order to generate the cost (in $$). =3.5*60*100 "ahfen79" wrote: > Would like to calculate cost of time. Eg. Cost for production down time per > minute is $100. Says production doen for 3.5 hrs, what is formula shall I > apply in order to generate the cost (in $$). =(3.5/24)*60*100 -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "ahfen79" <ahfen79@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

Newbie Cell Reference Question...
Hello, I apologize if this question has been answered before, but I'm no quite sure what to search for as I'm not very good with excel. I'm making a spreadsheet where one sheet references another. I'll tr to explain this as best as possible.... I'm creating a spreadsheet for a fantasy basketball league. I have "Data" sheet that contains data for all players. I have another sheet "Teams" that has all the players on each team. Column B contains th players name, and column C contains a number that corresponds to th row this player is on in the dat...

Rule to forward mail to external address doesn't work
It might be an XCON issue but I didn't find the corresponding group so I post my questions here. I set up a rule that when an email arrives if my name is in the "to" or "cc" field then forward the email to another external SMTP address for example an hotmail address. however this rule never works through. It's a Exchange 2003 SP1 on Windows 2003 SP1 I have no problem to manually forward the email to that external SMTP address; If forward to an mailbox in our Exchange Org, it works; I turned on diagnostic for Transport, no error or warning logged; I tracked mes...

Need Hyperlink from Menu Page to work in email
I have a workbook with several tabs. First tab is a "menu" type page (summary of other pages). Currently I have hyperlinks to all the other pages from the menu page. What I want to be able to do is copy the menu page into an email and enable the users to click on the existing hyperlinks (whatever adjustments needed) to go directly to their page of the workbook. Using Excel 2007. Please advise how to do this and what changes may be need for both options to work. ...

How to sort with merged rows
This is my delema. I have data that I need to input. At the same time I would like to have a blank area below each contact so that I can add notes. The first problem is that when I try to sort, excel keeps saying "this operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized" Even if I do get by that problem, how can I keep the notes and the contact/data info above it together when I use a sort. Chris wrote: > This is my delema. I have data that I need to input. At the same time I > would like to have a blank area below each contact so that I can add notes. >...

Works in 2003 but not 2007
When I reference the below function in 2003 I get function displayed... now in 2007 I get #NAME? Any idea what I need to change/set in 2007 so it will run this function? Function formulaText(x As Range) 'returns the text equivalent of formula in upper left cell in range x 'example: =formulatext(a1) returns the formula found in cell a1 of active worksheet 'example: =formulatext(a1:b5) returns the formula found in cell a1 of active worksheet formulaText = x.Cells(1, 1).Formula End Function Thanks, Mark Mark, It works fine for me. Are you stored in a stan...

Merging of rows.
I have a excel sheet in which there is data in only one column. The data is spread in 2 or 3 rows and after that there is blank row. The data spread in these row is related to one row. I want to bring this spread data in one row. Blank row can be as it is between ro useful data rows. Maybe a macro would do it: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim CurWks As Worksheet Dim NewWks As Worksheet Dim DestCell As Range Dim BigArea As Range Dim SmallArea As Range Set CurWks = Worksheets("Sheet1") Set NewWks = Worksheets.Add Set DestCell ...

Getting an UnBound control value into a Table field??????
I have a form that calculates a production rate in "parts per hour". This form needs to be able to differentiate between Line work, Cutter work, Side work, and Blister work. I created a drop down list for selecting the "Study Type" as listed above. I then created a text box for each "study type". When I select the "study type" each text box checks to see if the selection applies to it and makes the calculation if it does apply. The code for the "Line" study is as follows: =IIf([StudyType]="Line",2700?/[SecondsPerPart])...

Request Responses Not Working Properly
I am running Outlook 2003 sp2. When I send a meeting request out to a large group of people I uncheck the option to request responses. For the most part it works except, I continually get one response back out of the several hundred that I send. The only difference that I can see between this user and all others is that he is responding back to the meeting request from his pda, which is connecting via owa. If I respond directly from owa, it works fine. I tested using another pda and experienced the same problem. Any ideas? ...

Cell background shading in Excel
Why is it that the background shading colors available under the Paintbucket Icon chjange from file to file? Also, how can I add some of the colors to the paintbucket that are availabe under the format/cells/pattern pulldown? Colors are a Workbook-level property, so you can change the color palette for any workbook. Choose Tools/Options/Colors... and modify the colors to your hearts' content. You can also import another workbook's color palette from that dialog. Note however, that there are only 56 bins in the color palette, so you can only use 56 colors at a time. The paint b...

Can't Make this Work
I create a new Datasheet form from tlPB and get the "FIRST SQL VIEW". I then select DirectoryID and from the Row Source, I get the "SECOND SQL VIEW". I then select DeptID and from the Row Source, I get the "THIRD SQL VIEW". DirectoryID and DeptID are both Combo Boxes. Problem I want only those DeptID's that are related to the DirectoryID that has been entered in the Datasheet. Can someone show me how this is done? -------------------------------------------------------- FIRST SQL VIEW SELECT tblPB.PBID, tblPB.DirectoryID, tblPB.DeptID FROM t...

Sum every other cell?
I own a used-book shop. I have an Excel SS to track how many books pe day I sell in each of 28 categories and the $$$ I take in for eac category. So there's two columns for each day: #books & $$$. therefore want to add every odd-numbered cell in a row to get the tota number of books for a category in a given period of days and ever even-numbered cell in the same row for the the total $$$. Is there simple formula or function for this -- bookmanj ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bookmanjb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?acti...

Can I use oulook from home and have access at work?
When I set up my outlook I lose all my inbox messages online and would not be able to read my email from work. Is there a way to have my inbox available on outlook and remain online? Just to clarify, are you asking how to set up Outlook at home to receive email from work? If that's your question, you need to ask your IT Admin or Exchange Admin if you can use OWA and how that's done. That wouldn't have email coming into your Outlook account but it is a form of Outlook, Outlook Web Access. This may or may not be allowed. Your IT staff would of course have all kinds of securi...

Sum of Top Values in Access Report
In an Access report, I'm presenting the top 15 cost values in the detail section. I have a counter to do start a new print page. That is working, but I also want to present the group total (=sum[netofreturns]) with the total of the top 15 values [top15only] and calculate the percentage of the top 15 to the group total (top 15/group total) in the group footer. ...

Return a "" value from a formular
Any help greatly appreciated: I have 2 formulars that works, but I want them to return nothing eg "" when there is nothing entered into a cell, at the moment they return the 'false' value. My formulars are: =IF(O12>O11,"End milestone deadline passed","OK") =IF(AND(O12>O11,OR(D12>D11,E12>E11,F12>F11,G12>G11,H12>H11,I12>I11,J12>J11,K12>K11,L12>L11,M12>M11,N12>N11)),"End milestone passed and 'Actual's' late","End milestone passed but 'Actual's' OK") =IF(isblank(O12),&...