Paste contents, but keep formula of destination

Hi,

I've searched for a solution for this, but I cannot find it. Apologies if
this is a duplicate.

I want to copy the values only of a selection to another sheet, but I want
to keep the formulas of the destination sheet (where copied)? When I copy the
data to the new sheet, I lose the formulas of the existing (destination)
sheet. Is there anyway to copy without losing the existing formulas of where
I'm copying?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Can you offer a better explanation.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"cynteeuh" <cynteeuh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've searched for a solution for this, but I cannot find it. Apologies if
> this is a duplicate.
>
> I want to copy the values only of a selection to another sheet, but I want
> to keep the formulas of the destination sheet (where copied)? When I copy
> the
> data to the new sheet, I lose the formulas of the existing (destination)
> sheet. Is there anyway to copy without losing the existing formulas of
> where
> I'm copying?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!

0
Don
11/19/2009 9:27:09 PM
Each cell can contain a value or a formula (that evaluates to something).

You can't have a cell contain a formula and keep the existing value--unless the
formula evaluates to what was in that cell already.

cynteeuh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've searched for a solution for this, but I cannot find it. Apologies if
> this is a duplicate.
>
> I want to copy the values only of a selection to another sheet, but I want
> to keep the formulas of the destination sheet (where copied)? When I copy the
> data to the new sheet, I lose the formulas of the existing (destination)
> sheet. Is there anyway to copy without losing the existing formulas of where
> I'm copying?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!

--

Dave Peterson
0

Auto change formula in cells when source is changed
Good day experts; If specific cells have the same formula for example: C1 = Product( A1;B1) C16 = Product(A16;B16) C17= Product(A17;B17) And so on ... What formula should i write in C16, C17, ... so that: when the formula in the source cell, C1, is changed the formulas in C16, C17, ... would automatically change accordingly. I tried "=C1" it does not work Thanks in advance Carlo carlo wrote: > Good day experts; > > If specific cells have the same formula for example: > C1 = Product( A1;B1) > C16 = Product(A16;B16) > C17= Product(A17;B17) > And so on ... ...

Looking for guidance on integrating large assembler content into VC project.
I have a quite large block of assembler code, 50 subroutines accessed via just a couple of top level subs. I want to access these top level subs from my VC7 project. I have looked at the __asm inline assembler option but can't see how I can author the subs properly. Should I be using MASM ? Could somebody please advise? "Jo" <usenet_AT_tecno.demon.co.uk@JUNKBLOCK.COM> wrote in message news:a19emvshanokh7qb19ir13o13thlotk0p0@4ax.com... > I have a quite large block of assembler code, 50 subroutines accessed > via just a couple of top level subs. I want to access the...

why do i get #### in my formula cell?
I don't really know much about Excel, and my formula (it's just simple arithmetic formulas) returns with ##### displayed on the cell, with a tooltip showing the cell's correct value when I hover over it. airn, make the column wider and see if that helps -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "airn" <airn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6F4DD7C-3D7D-475C-894D-0F7745735666@microso...

How to paste a cells row from Excel to a PowerPoint 2003 Table row?
Hello! How to paste a row of cells from Excel to a PowerPoint 2003 Table row? PowerPoint 2003 pastes all the row cells values in every cell in the row in the PowerPoint table if I select the row in the PP table before the pasting. PP pastes the row as an overlapping column if I place cursor in the first cell of the target row before pasting. Best regards, Dima +7 9163876746 +7 9035093892 ...

Keeping the format but update the data
I have a report I run everyday. I want to update the data, but keep the column sizes and formatting. Any suggestions? Anybody suggest a good ebook to become more formuliar with excel? JoeM JoeM, this could be as simple as recording a macro during the formatting of the sheet after importing the data once. Then each day, after importing the new data, you simply run that macro. As for online eBook's for Excel, I'm not actually aware of any although I suspect a Google search would turn up several. It's hard to beat the "For Dummies..." series of hardcopy...

Formula #16
I need to have a formula that can add a row of cells with a variable number of colmns. Columns will be added and deleted everyday, so the formula needs to have a variable range. I hope this is clear. Thanks, Bernie ...

simple? pasting simple formula, error on copy
I have some store buying spreadsheets I made up. Very very basic, one of the columns has a total at the bottom or end as you may call it for total $ amount bought. that final number is in c33. c1, c2, c3 etc is a amount from each vendor. I want to have a column telling me the percentage being spent on each, simple enough so I make a column with the following formula =c33/c5. I get a number, change it to percentage and BAM I have exactly what I want. I pasted that formula and pasted it into all the other rows of that certain column, but I keep getting the #div/0 error, cause the new formulas...

Excel formula copied down
Is there a way to copy down a column this formula =F3*A2 and have the A2 stay the same all the way down? The F3 would change on each row, F4, F5 etc. but the A2 would stay 'constant'. Thanks in advance for any help! =F3*A$2 -- Ian -- "Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:73505B29-538A-48C7-8F2F-F6126EF2126B@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to copy down a column this formula =F3*A2 and have the A2 > stay > the same all the way down? The F3 would change on each row, F4, F5 etc. > but > the A2 would stay 'constant'...

polynomial formula for a line graph...
Hi. I haven't looked at this feature in a couple of years. Excel can give you the formula for a charted function... what I mean is, given a few data points, it can create a best fit curve, and display the function that it used to do that... Would someone remind me where, please? Thanks. Hi, Right click the data series and pick Add Trendline. From the dialog you can choose the type of trend line and whether to display the formula. Cheers Andy mark wrote: > Hi. > > I haven't looked at this feature in a couple of years. > > Excel can give you the formula for ...

I can copy but won't paste
I was able to copy and paste then not sure why but it would only paste the same txt over and over, not allowing new txt copied to be paste. Now I cant paste at all. It will copy but when I click paste it does nothing, help! This could be a poorly designed add-in interfering with copy and paste operations. Did you install something recently? -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Sarlou" <Sarlou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E5E33F7-2387-4DBC-809E-AA97F930CEF5@microsoft.com... >I was able to copy and paste then not sure why but it would o...

Help with creating a formula
Hello! I am trying to create a formula that will sum up certain criteria from one column as it relates to criteria in the same row in another column. For example, I want to sum up all the entries that begin with the letter "H" in column A as it relates to an entry of "2" from column B that is in the same row as the "H" entry from column A. COLUMN A COLUMN B H10 2 G01 2 H09 3 H15 2 H12 2 If there is such a formula...

Excel does not calculate my formulas
This is very strange...Excel does not calculate any formula. I can do a simple =A1+A2, and it just return a zero value. I made sure of the following: - Cell is set to General (tried it with different cell settings too) - Autocalc is on in settings (even a manual F9 calc doesn't work) -- Martin Verville We might need a few more clues: What is in A1? What is in A2? -- David Biddulph "Martin" <Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9A25385-5BE8-4D38-A7A7-15E523C69DD9@microsoft.com... > This is very strange...Excel does not calculat...

Outlook keeps making itself Default
Hi, Everytime I start Outlook it takes over as default for email and addresses even though I have that option unchecked in outlook, and in IE I set OE Express as default, yet each time I launch outlook it takes over as Default, any ideas TIA Wayne ...

How do I stop Excel from deleting the Window's Clipboard Contents
Note: This is with the Office Clipboard turned OFF! For example, If I write the following in 5 cells in Excel. [Hello ][My ][Name ][Is ][Fred ] Then I Copy (CTRL+C) the Cells: [Is ] and [Fred ] to the Clipboard... Then I press [Esc] (there are a dozen other ways to do this, but, this is the simplest) Now, I go to any cell, anywhere in my workbook, and press Paste (CTRL+V)... No Data... If I open up Notepad... Paste (CTRL+V).... No Data... Excel has *decided* for me, that I want to delete the Window's Clipboard Contents. Although I ha...

How do I make this formula?
I have an Excel worksheet to track my 401k performance. I have a row for Date, the Balance corresponding to each date, Contributions, a formula to calculate my Total Contributions, and a formula to calculate my Total Gain/Loss. My question is, how to I get my Gain/Loss formula to update corresponding to a new Date/Balance? Is there a formula function to make the formula ignore Column data in the previous Rows? Thanks! There will be, just add/subtract items from that row. Can you show us an example with data. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) &...

Date Formula #3
I am having difficulty with the "NOW" formula. What I would like for it to do is when I enter a value in one cell have it update in another cell the date when the information was entered and that date stay permanenty. What I am having is the date changes to the current date everyday. Is this possible to do? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Todd You can do it with the change event of the worksheet This example will place the date/time in the B column if you change a cell in the range A1:A20. Place the code in the Sheet module Right click on a sheet tab and choose ...

paste linked cells show "0"
I have a number of cells in a range (lets say A14:J52). Some of these cells are "paste linked" from cells on other sheets. Unfortunately, when the original cell is empty, the value of the "paste linked" cell shows as "0". (not just blank like the original) Is there a way to keep the "paste linked" cell showing "0"? If not, how would I go about using VBA to systematically go through the above described range and delete those zeros? At the point I ran this code, any "0" could be deleted from the range safely whether it ...

Index / Contents Page
Is it possible to insert an index /contents page in Visio? I have a 30 page Visio document and on Page 2 I want to have a contents page so that the reader can reference a page quickly. Is it possible with out having to manually type it i.e. If the page order changes your index / contents is automatically updated as with Word. There should be an example of create a TOC using VBA at www.mvps.org/visio/VBA.htm John... Visio MVP Need stencils or ideas? http://www.mvps.org/visio/3rdparty.htm Need VBA examples? http://www.mvps.org/visio/VBA.htm Common Visio Questions http://www.mvps.org/visi...

Need a formula that tags one table based 2 columns in each table
I have two tables on one worksheet, Table A and Table B. Each table contains two column with X and Y coordinates, all values are numerical. The coordinate system is irrelevant. I need to "tag" all XY coordinates in Table B that have a matching XY coordinate in Table A. If Table A coordinates are in columns A and B, and Table B coordinates are in columns C and D, then I want to place the text "hit" in column E next to each coordinate pair from columns C and D that match a coordinate pair in columns A and B. The ranges for the respective tables have been named ACOORD and...

Formula to display Count of Days in given month, using list of Start and End Dates
I have a large number of rows that contain a start date and end date. I am attempting to generate a count of days within that date range that are in a particular month, for example, Jan of 2011. Any suggestions for a formula that could be used to display the amounts shown in Column C would be helpful. Layout is: A B C Start Date End Date Count of Days in Jan2011 1/10/11 4/7/11 21 2/6/11 3/1/11 0 12/20/10 2/15/11 31 Etc. Dave, I think the best way is to create a table f...

Countif formula
Hi, I'm new here and I hope I'm posting in the right forum. I require help with a formula that has left me scratching my head for a couple of hours. I have a column of data cells that lists 3 different options, for example: option1 = Good option2 = Ok option3 = Bad i need a formula that will count how many 'Good' entries there are and to work it out as a percentage of the total number of entries (all 3 options). I hope that makes sense. If more info is required, please let me know. Thanks for your time -- godonlyknows --------------------------------------------------...

Help with Lookup/Sum Formula
I have a spreedsheet with this type of data, for example Product Group Quantity Size 2812 10 0.75 2812 100 0.75 2812 300 0.5 2817 100 0.25 2817 200 1 2845 1000 1.5 I want to be able to set up a formula that you enter a product grou (2812) in a cell and it will for that product group go and sum up al the quantities for each size. The formula would go in the Sum colum For Example ...

Trouble with copy and past of formulas in Excel
I got a sheet from one of my collegaes that was causing problems, it sometimes looses formulas (It looks like a problem with connections through our network) and you get true untrue name errors, after refreshing the cell the problem is gone. Now I'm having trouble with copying formulas, after trying some copy and paste it crashes with dr. Watson. It seems that there is some timeout problem. More people have trouble with this with the somewhat larger sheets. ...

keep lover level bullet list with previous bullet
Word 2007. I have a Heading then some paragraphs. Then a bullet list. How do I prevent a page from breaking in the middle of a lower level bullet list? In other words, how do I keep lower level bullets with it's upper level? For example: Many paragraphs o upper level bullet aaa - one aaa - two aaa - three aaa o upper level bbb - one bbb - two bbb - three bbb Right now I run out of room on the page and -two bbb goes to the next page. I can highlight the "bbb"s and under Paragraph/line and Page Breaks check Keep Lines Together. I may nee...

Changing cell from formula to data.
Is there a way to change a cell from a formula (that is returning data) to the data it is returning. I realy hop it it becuse it would help out a ton. -- Thanks TimM If you select the cell and copy then edit - pastes special - values on the cell you will have the value and not the formula. HTH -- Sincerely, Michael Colvin "TimM" wrote: > Is there a way to change a cell from a formula (that is returning data) to > the data it is returning. I realy hop it it becuse it would help out a ton. > > > -- > Thanks > TimM Hi, Select the cell(s) contain...