Password to open file

How do you make file only open after you enter a password?
0
dcknie (2)

dcknie, file save as, tools, general options enter password to open, this is
for excel 2003 its a little different in other versions but that should get
you there
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"dcknie" <dcknie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do you make file only open after you enter a password?

<File> <SaveAs>
Click on "Tools", then "General Options",
Then make your choices.
--

HTH,

RD

"dcknie" <dcknie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
How do you make file only open after you enter a password?

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
6/29/2005 2:32:55 PM
That worked. Thanks alot.

"RagDyeR" wrote:

> <File> <SaveAs>
> Click on "Tools", then "General Options",
> Then make your choices.
> --
>
> HTH,
>
> RD
>
> "dcknie" <dcknie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do you make file only open after you enter a password?

0
dcknie (2)

File Saving Issues
On a network newer XP computers take 10 to 15 minutes to save certain spreadsheets stored on a network drive whereas older Windows 95 computers do this in a matter of seconds (same spreadsheets). I've tried saving in different formats and there is nothing wrong with the network connections. Any ideas? Don't really know, but as an older computer user (and user of an olde computer) my temporary file is stored in my local C:\temp folder perhaps XP uses the server for this ? -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Can I use a PST file similar to an Exchange server?
I want to be able to access a single PST file from multiple computers locatd in different cities. I can only be in one place at a time so there will only be one person using the PST file at any given time. Is this possible? Thanks Howard Only when you travel with your pst-file or when you access the computer holding the pst-file with Remote Desktop. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "HL649" <Howard@Larsens.ca> wrote in message ...

large database file size
I have added a table to my database that is causing the database size to grow tremendously. There are a total of 807,000 records of zip codes along with corresponding latitude, longitude, city and state names. I have set Unicode Compression to YES by all text fields and have compacted the database. What other settings or actions will help reduce database file size? Susan, I believe is a matter of normalization. For example cities and states should be kept in separate tables, perhaps using a code (number) for each one, which will be related to your zip codes table using those number...

OT: VS.Net Opens Files across all 3 monitors. Fix?
Is there any way to get VS to open a file without spreading it all the way across all of my monitors? Thanks "Jona Vark" <noemail@all.com> wrote in message news:reSef.21828$Zv5.8272@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net... > Is there any way to get VS to open a file without spreading it all the way > across all of my monitors? > > Thanks > Odd problem, mine works perfectly. What type of video cards and display drivers are you using? -- ============ Frank Hickman Microsoft MVP NobleSoft, Inc. ============ Replace the _nosp@m_ with @ to reply. "Frank Hickma...

excel file size bloat
I have found that some of my files get very large, very fast in terms of megabytes. Larger than they really have a right to be. This often comes after cutting and pasting data into them. Is there something going on behind the scenes, perhaps with the "undo" file that leads to file size bloat. And, is there any way to strip a file down to its smallest, natural, size? Hit CTRL + END on a worksheet to see where Excel takes you. Could be Excel has over-estimated your used range. For help on re-setting, see Debra Dalgleish's site. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#...

Publisher 2.0a longer file names?
Does anyone have an idea how to work around Publisher 2.0a's file name limitations? Is there some utility that I can download that will allow me to create longer filenames? By the way, I'm running Pub on a PC with Win '98. Yeah, they're both really old but in my opinion this version of Publisher is the best. I've got later versions but prefer this one. Thanks! jd <groundzero@earthlink.net> was very recently heard to utter: > Does anyone have an idea how to work around Publisher 2.0a's file name > limitations? Is there some utility that I can download th...

Snapshot Viewer will not open .snp file
We have a client that sends us .snp files as email attachments. We have Office 2007 installed on new Windows XP PCs. We have the Snapshot Viewer installed. When we attempt to open an .snp file, either from email or after saving attachment to the desktop, all we get is a blank Snapshot Viewer window. If we re-install the Shapshot Viewer we can then open one .snp file and then it reverts back to opening with a blank viewer window for subsequent ..snp files that are opened. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated Susie Install a different Printer Driver for the workstations exhibiting ...

How do I open word 2.0 files in word 2007?
What's the best way for a novice home user to open his Word 2.0 file in Word 2007? Word 2007 will not allow me to open them! See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922849. On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 07:13:02 -0800, Word Help!! <Word Help!!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >What's the best way for a novice home user to open his Word 2.0 file in Word >2007? > >Word 2007 will not allow me to open them! -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so ...

Can't open Outlook Mailbox
I can't open my Outlook, version 2002 mailbox. Problem with outlook.pst file??? Tried repairing (as per instructions and a message says it is missing??? THANKS for your solution, Don Price I'm no expert, but I have had this problem before. Try doing a search of all files (hidden, system, etc) for the file "outlook.pst". If it can't find anything, sorry, this is where my knowledge ends. If it does, just redirect outlook to that location. "Don Price FLD-EFCA" <dprice@forestlakes-efca.org> wrote in message news:<4ee201c473ea$24b500c0$a601280a@ph...

share excel file become empty
Please help me for below issue.... Our server's operating system is WINDOWS NT4.0. We have an excel file located on server and shared by 4 users, everyday they need to update the information of the file. The file includes 6 spreadsheets with different names. 3 incidents happened to this file with same situation: the file become empty suddenly one day and looks like a new excel file with 3 worksheets {sheet1, sheet2, sheet3}, but the file name does not change. On server's record, we found that the blant file is created, modified and saved at the same date, in 2 times it shows the f...

No amount remaining but the AP Invocie still open
Hi hope I can get an advice on this issue. I got an Invoice which is fully applied but still open. How to resolve this? Thanks in advance ...

Macro to open file bypasses Auto_Open
I have the following code. Workbooks.Open Filename:=vOpen, UpdateLinks:=3 But when I run this it does not process the macro Auto_Open. Why is this? I would like for code to run on the opening of the file regardless of how the user opened it. (ie. If they opened it using File / Open on the menu then yes, the Auto_Open would run. But I also want code to run even if they write their own macro to open it.) Thank you, Steven That's the way excel was designed to work. Lots of times, developers want to open the workbook without having that macro run (maybe they&...

Have calendars window size be maximized when calendar is opened
Need help getting calendar to maximize to full monitor size and stay that way! Every time I open a calendar, outlook opens calendar is a window about 1/4 the size of my monitors screen. Does anyone know a way to set the screen size for outlook calendar windows? I had that problem. I did not maximize the window. Instead I went to the bottom right corner and made the window the size I wanted. Now it always opens to that size. I hope this helps you. >-----Original Message----- >Need help getting calendar to maximize to full monitor >size and stay that way! Every time I open a...

Space for recovery point (DPM 2007), file related
OK, I have found the different worksheet and different tools, web site, and KB to calculate the sizing of DPM volumes, but I am hitting a "head scratching" confusing something. Let me give a scenario and please correct me when needed ;) I have an SQL server, that I use SQL Maintenance to create BAK file, once a day, and keeping 7 days of backup. The backup folder with all the DB are 60gig (Yes I can use DPM to backup the DB directly, but I still want to have the SQL BAK done). So to me, this is a simply "FILE backup", with a Replica volume of always 60gb, a...

Problem with EXCEl reading CD files
I have a new Dell Computer with Microsoft Professional XP and Office 2003. I got a CD from IRS with excel and ascii files When I try to open them I get an error message that says the file may be read only or the device may be read only or the server may not be in service. IRS uses excel 4.0. The 2003 system has to be cancelled out of. Then I moved the CD to an old 98 Office 2000 system and excel 2000 would open the files but the files that I had tried to open on the new computer were corrupted. Files I did not open on the new computer were fine. IRS has not experienced this pro...

open relay #2
Hello I have a NT4 SP6a server with EXchange 5.5 SP4, I have configured my exchange to be not an open relay server. But, when my provider is doing een open relay test, he can relay messages if the @ in the emailadres is changed to ! or % How can i solve this problem ? Thank you wvdp@belgacom.net Exchange isn't actually relaying the message - without the @ it is looking for a local recipient rather than an external smtp address, so it accepts it then will NDR it. This article explains it a bit better: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q304897 Also, if you are u...

only showing Open invoices on statements
Hello: For receivables customer statements in GP 10.0, is there is a way to show only invoices that are open for the customer? We have a statement ID where the following are highlighted for the "Print For" section: Current Period Balance, Past Due Balance, Credit Balance, and Exclude Fully Applied Payments And, on the right-hand side of the window, the following are checked under "Print": Print Payment Terms, Messages. The statement needs to be somewhat similar to the Aged Trial Balance where only invoices that the customer has not paid need to show. Thanks! ch...

Importing and Exporting pst files
I'm trying to import a pst file to Outlook 2002 from Outlook 2003 and an error message says not compatible. Is there any way to make this work without upgrading to Outlook 2003 on both computers? Any and all suggestions are welcome. Create a new Outlook 97-2002 pst-file in Outlook 2003 and export to it. http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/downgradefromoutlook2003.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Tracy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com...

original file won't open
I created a database and stored it in a folder on my c drive. I then used the database utility function in access to split the database, and then I created a backup. At some point I moved all three of these files--the original (we'll call it database y.mdb), the backup (database y_datebackupfilecreated.mdb), and the back end (databasey_be.mdb)--into a new folder, still on my c drive. Now for some reason when I open the file called database y.mdb, I get a message that says the path is not valid. The path quoted in the message is the OLD folder name; and, if I click okay on the messag...

reference to cells in other files: direct vs indirect
I inherited a behemoth of an Excel file (Excel 2003) that was created by multiple people in different countries, who may or may not have left the company. Anyway, I'm on my own. In one of the sheets, I find the following functions: Cell U1: ='Site General'!U1 Cell U2: ="["&INDIRECT("u$1")&"]Recurrent (Summary by Unit)"&"" Cell U4 and below: =IF(ISERROR(INDIRECT(ADDRESS($L4;4;;1;U$2)));0;INDIRECT(ADDRESS ($L4;4;;1;U$2))) ($L4 becomes $L5, $L6,...) The result of these functions is: Cell U1: V5 Spain.XLS --> this is a file th...

Excel and Open Office #2
I have made a Excel file with many worksheets. Of which i have protected and hidden some of the worksheets. I works fine in the windows. But in Open Office (Linux) all the hidden files also gets opened. which is a security breach. any workarounds? not to display the hidden worksheet in Open office. Kindly help This was a duplicate thread, the original was posted twelve minutes before this thread was started. Please refer to your original posting/thread. http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=6D8216FA-78F8-4212-8B74-1465897492F5%40microsoft.com Don't know if the link will ...

Excel opening very slow after giving hyperlink
Hi all, I am trying to create an excel sheet with around 31K rows and have size of 12MB. It works fine opens in less then a sec everything is fine with that. But when I try to give hyperlink to one of the column to show product images from CD or any HDD folder, the sheets becomes very slow in opening. Sheet opening time jumps from 1 sec to around 90 sec after putting just few cells hyperlinks to CD or HDD files. Thanks in advance , -Neelesh ...

How to specify text format when importing CSV files?
I would like to prevent Excel from attempting to interpret the data type when importing CSV files, and instead always format all fields as Text. For example, even if a csv field looks like a date, I want it formatted as Text. When importing a file ending in .txt, the Text Import Wizard lets me interactively specify each field type individually. That works OK except when I import files with many fields (100+), it is a burden to click on each field individually and specify text. Can I make Text format the default when importing txt and csv files? Thanks. I don't know of any way ...

Copied text opens in table box...Arghhhhhh
Hello... We have just moved over to MS Office 2003 Pro at work and publisher defaults to opening copied text in a table, and not in a text box as required. What seemed a simple procedure in Office 2000 has now become a little confusing, how can I enable any copied text appear in a text box and not a table. I have tried to mirror the work problem on my home computer, but text opens in a text box as required. Thanks This is a known issue and will not be addressed in current versions. The current workaround is to go to Edit > Paste Special > Unformatted Text into the text box. --...

I have problems with hyperlinks to Adobe pdf files
I have created a spreadsheet in Excell with hyperlinks to Adobe PDF files stored in the same directory. It worked originally but now will not link, Adobe flashes up then disappears. On editing the hyperlink the process has inserted %20 between the file names eg my%20file.pdf instead of my file.pdf. Any advice? If it was working before inserting the %20 then simply remove the spaces from the file/path names. Don't know if that is the issue, but the %20 is the character that gets appended when a URL finds a space. -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hod...