Password Protecting Excel Sheet

Hi,

Is it possible to create a password in order to get in to
an excel file.  When a user clicks on this file, they
would be prompted for a password.  I know how to password
protect things once in the file, but I also want to lock
anyone out who does not have a password.

Thanks,

Chuck
0
anonymous (74722)

Chuck,

File/SaveAs
In the upper right of the dialog box.....
Tools/General Options.

John

"ChuckW" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to create a password in order to get in to
> an excel file.  When a user clicks on this file, they
> would be prompted for a password.  I know how to password
> protect things once in the file, but I also want to lock
> anyone out who does not have a password.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chuck

0
jwilson (359)
1/15/2004 3:26:05 PM
Hi ChuckW!

Always useful to give the Excel Version that you have as these things
change:

In all Versions it is under the Save As dialog but there are
variations:

Excel 97 and, I believe, before

File > Save As

Press Options Button

Select from alternatives available

Impose or Change password

OK

Re-confirm password or passwords

OK

Save

With Excel 2000:

File > Save As > Tools > General Options

Select from alternatives available

Impose or Change password

OK

Re-confirm password or passwords

OK

Save

With Excel 2002(XP) and 2003

Two routes are now available:

Tools > Options > Security

Select from alternatives available

Impose or Change password

Re-confirm password or passwords

OK

OR (As before with Excel 2000)

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)

0
njharker (1646)

Gantt Chart in Excel. Do I need conditional formatting?
Hello all. I have created a Gantt chart that shows approx. 15 tasks in each project. I am using this to show percentage of completion for each task. It is working just fine and looks great but I need it to insert a date when a task is at 100% completion to show the client the date that particular task was completed. How would I do this without ruining my chart I already have working fine? I know this is probably easy to do but I cannot seem to keep the rest of the chart intact. Is conditional formatting the answer? Thanks! You could use Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler to do this: h...

Excel 2003 VB referencing #N/A not working but works in Excel 2007
I have a very simple macro that works in Excel 2007 but hangs up constantly in Excel 2003. Does anyone have a work around? Problem: When referencing cells that have a #N/A value, Excel 2003 craps out even if I use the ISNA application function before it. The following 2 statements will cause Excel 2003 VB to stop regardless of order if the cell that is referenced comes up with #N/A. Series = Cells(RowNumStart + X - 1, SeriesCol).Value If WorksheetFunction.IsNA(Cells(RowNumStart + X - 1, ColNum)) Then Further background.... I am actually wanting to find #...

excel formula problem #3
i want to set up a system that counts a series of dates but only say how many cells are filled, i can get this to work generally but section needs to count 3 seperate dates but only add on any one of the (eg) cell A counts the number of dates in cells B-Z but with cells D,E, i dont want all to count, only one of the three even if all are filled but it must count if any of the three are filled hope this makes sens -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try: =COUNT(B1:C1,G1:Z1)+(COUNT(D1:F1)>0) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > i want to set up a system that c...

SP2 screws Excel. Now only puts in decimal numbers
I installed SP2 for office 2003 yesterday and now anything I type into my excel workbook shows up with .45 instead of 45 which I typed in.. Any ideas? Tools -> Options -> Edit tab. Uncheck "Fixed Decimal Places" HTH knut "Tboz" <Tboz@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:42223421-8753-4E47-B4BE-ACED5FD1EF24@microsoft.com... >I installed SP2 for office 2003 yesterday and now anything I type into my > excel workbook shows up with .45 instead of 45 which I typed in.. Any > ideas? tools>options>calculation>precision as displ...

Excel Worksheet menu bars customizing for limiting users to optio.
Customizing Excel worksheet menu bar for limiting users to the options provided in that menu Hi Jim Look also at the links to MS pages on the bottom of this page http://www.rondebruin.com/menuid.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "jim" <jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8009001-5F5A-4415-9527-34C71D8DF1DB@microsoft.com... > Customizing Excel worksheet menu bar for limiting users to the options > provided in that menu ...

Transposing Excel Formula
I have the following formula to calculate the probability of an option trading below price B3 Prob = =NORMSDIST((LN(B3/B2))/((B4/100)*SQRT(B5/365))) B3 = Target Price B2 = Stock Price B4 = Implied Volatility B5 = Days to Expiration I want to transpose the formula to solve for B3, assuming a value for Prob. Here's what I got, but it doesn't give the expected answer - did I make a mistake in these unfamiliar functions?: B3= EXP(NORMSINV(Prob))*((B4/100)*SQRT(B5/365))*B2 On Feb 7, 10:14=A0am, Steveal <steve_alm...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I have the following formula to calculat...

Excel VBA
I have created a custom menu bar..a section of the code below...but d not know how to create a 2nd level to look like the example below. Period > Month > Current Year (action) Any suggestions. Thanks. ' Add a new menu Set NewMenu = NewMenuBar.Controls.Add _ (Type:=msoControlPopup) NewMenu.Caption = "&Period" ' Add a new menu item Set NewItem = NewMenu.Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton) With NewItem .Caption = "&By Month" .OnAction = "Main" End Wit -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You should find your answer here (...

How do I change the format of how my active cell in Excel is view.
I sometimes have trouble locating which cell is active in my Excel worksheet. I would like to be able to change it to something other than just a heavy black border. Here is one way that highlights the row and column of the activecell. Private Sub WorkSheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) Cells.FormatConditions.Delete With Target.EntireRow .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE" .FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 35 End With With Target.EntireColumn .FormatConditions.Delete .FormatConditions.Add T...

Can you use the old Lotus "/ commands" in Excel 2003?
In Excel 2000 you could use a demo mode to activate the old Lotus menu commands. Can you do this in Excel 2003? Look at Tools>Option>Transition -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "DAW" <DAW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5590E6E-DFE1-4A9A-8651-387B7F49D112@microsoft.com... > In Excel 2000 you could use a demo mode to activate the old Lotus menu > commands. Can you do this in Excel 2003? > It's gone from xl2003. DAW wrote: > > In Excel 2000 you could use a demo mode to activate the old Lotus menu > commands. Can you do thi...

EXCEL 2003 #8
Can I take the contents ("WD4") of a cell (A2)on Sheet1, look for a match of the code ("WD4") on Sheet2 in cells A1-A20, and return the coresponding text in B1-B20 on Sheet2 to cell B2 on Sheet1. On Sheet1: =INDEX(B1:B20,MATCH(A2,Sheet2!A1:A20,0)) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:582672AF-9360-4525-9F8F-9C236D08A1A7@microsoft.com... > Can I take the contents ("WD4") of a cell (A2)on Sheet1, look for a match > of > the code ("WD4") on Sheet2 i...

Outlook email password always requested
I use MS Outlook 2002 SP3 in Vista. The email password is asked for every time. Is there a fix for this? James A known issue - see http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/vista.htm --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, James Truelove asked: | I use MS Outlook 2002 SP3 in Vista. The email password is asked for | every time. Is there a fix for this? | James "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <What@ever> wr...

Billable time sheet
I am creating a new time sheet for my work and i would like some help. =(B25-B24) in cell B26 this is time value 7.00 am – 8.15 am = 1hour 15 mins this works great on its own. =INT(B27)*18+(B27-INT(B27))*100/60*18 (18 being dollars value or 18 can be a cell) to calculate hourly rate this work great on its own. But when i change the above cell B26 to B27 then this Fomular does not work =INT(B27)*18+(B27-INT(B27))*100/60*18 How do I make this work and still come up with the sum of $22.50 and not $2.50 Thank's -- Loud pipes saves lives Hi, in B26 use =TEXT((B25-B24),"H.MM&qu...

create automatic response to questions in excel....
Hi, Is there a way in excel where I have 10 questions and can click on one question and get the answer to pop up in my spreadsheet? thank you, Felicia On Dec 1, 6:39 am, felicia <feli...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > Is there a way in excel where I have 10 questions and can click on one > question and get the answer to pop up in my spreadsheet? > > thank you, > > Felicia One way, with questions in A1:A10 and corresponding correct answers in A1:A10 on a hidden worksheet with tab name "Answers"... right click the tab of the sheet with the qu...

how do I insert sequential numbering on a sheet of 10 pages?
-- Morrell http://www.publishermvps.com/Default.aspx?tabid=95 -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

How do I rotate a worksheet in Excel?
I know that it is possible to rotate content within a cell, but what if I want to rotate the whole worksheet? And yes, I know that I could just set it to landscape mode, but I want to modify it once the rows become columns and the columns become rows. You are limited to 256 columns (and therefore 256 rows). create a new worksheet Select your range on the original worksheet edit|copy go to A1 of the new worksheet edit|paste special|check transpose. MarkRulesTheWorld wrote: > > I know that it is possible to rotate content within a cell, but what if I > want to rotate the whole w...

Is it possible to merge workbooks in excel?
I am currently working on a project with a coworker in which we need to enter quality scores for employees into excel workbooks, with one sheet per group of employees. Is it possible, if we enter data for separate groups, to later merge this data into one master workbook? Thanks! Are you asking if you can move/copy your sheet for Group AAA into another workbook that has a sheet for Group BBB? If so, all you need to do is: 1) open both the source and destination workbooks 2) activate the source workbook 3) select any and all tabs that you want in the destination workbook (Ctrl-click on ...

shared sa password
Hi all, My client is using Microsoft Great Plains v8. They have 4 people that knows the sa pasword, the password is never changed and 3 of them has system maintenance access. just wondering, i'm pretty sure there can be a security issue there. i dont know much about microsoft great plains, but could you share a quick thought of what can go wrong when the above happens.. btw, they are all working in finance. Cheers, Thano. Having the 'sa' password would enable them to perform actions using Query Analyzer, Enterprise Manager, and other SQL tools if they were able to gai...

how do I add a 'web address' to a cell in excel with a hyperlink?
how do I add a 'web address' to a cell in excel with a hyperlink? I am a new student to computers, and part of a test is to insert a hyperlink to a cell in excel linking to a web address. I have searched computer for any 'Hyperlink' connection words, but I think it not on here, Is that possible, although I have top of range computer. Anyone with a solution? I be ever so greatful. in xl2002 ctrl+k>in the link to select existing web page>either type in (at the bottom) or point to the url on your browser>enter -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austi...

Finding sheets
I'm just an inquisitive person, I guess ;-) I would like to create the name of a particular sheet dynamically, then read data from it. For example, ="'"&MONTH(A1)&"."&DAY(A1)&"."&TEXT(MOD(YEAR(A1),100),"00")&"-"&MONTH(B1) &"."&DAY(B1)&"."&TEXT(MOD(YEAR(B1),100),"00")&"'!"&"A3:A50" That will give me the name of a particular sheet. A start date and end date are in A36 and B36, respectively. I would like to take the name of the s...

Excel Hyperlink on Chart
Hello, Is there a way to "drill down" to data from an Excel chart? For example, select the series and have it hyerlinked to a table containing the data? Thanks. Bill Hi AFAIK not possible (or at least not without a huge amount of vBA code) >-----Original Message----- >Hello, >Is there a way to "drill down" to data from an Excel chart? For example, >select the series and have it hyerlinked to a table containing the data? > >Thanks. > >Bill > > >. > ...

Import from Excel #2
Hi, Is there any way I can import from MS Excel to Money? -- Chanikya See http://xl2qif.chez.tiscali.fr/xl2qif_en.php "cndesu" wrote: > Hi, > Is there any way I can import from MS Excel to Money? > -- > Chanikya See also http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=8. "cndesu" <cndesu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05433109-7FE5-4E53-8DE2-E3E2F5A8B34B@microsoft.com... > Is there any way I can import from MS Excel to Money? Hi, I have a pdf file consists of transactions which bank gave me online. Now Can I import this file to money? -- ...

Importing specific content into an Excel 2002 worksheet
I have some word documents that contain data I need throughout the document. As it stand, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V are the easiest ways because the data is never in the same location on each document. Is there a way of capturing this data, and adding it to a selected field in Excel? The Word documents have a lot of 'noise' before, and after the data which is mostly contained in a table. This table also contains 'noise' that is not needed for the end result. Any suggestions are welcomed. Wayne. wrote: > I have some word documents that contain data I need throughout the &...

the new excel help is horrible!!!! (way to go, limiting comments)
how do I get the previoulsy found HELP to list the typical formulas, or use of special characters, like the & symble in excel. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=102753c7-0f12-402b-9da0-3...

Password Protecting Folders.
My pc will be going in for repairs shortly. I'd like to protect some of my folders. Can folders be individually password protected under Vista? Thanks "species8350" <not_here.5.species8350@xoxy.net> wrote in message news:7769caff-d403-44b2-b68a-980e962a05ff@j27g2000yqn.googlegroups.com: > My pc will be going in for repairs shortly. > > I'd like to protect some of my folders. Can folders be individually > password protected under Vista? Not directly. Even if they could be, any good repair technician worth his salt could figure out how t...

Excel 2007 stalling when WiFi on
This has been getting worse and now it is completely unusable! I can't find anything on the 'net other than an unresolved issue (in MS support discussion) where '07 is waay slower than '03! With the WiFi button turned on, clicking on a cell first gets no reaction, clicking more brings on the blue circle, another click brings on the white cast to the whole screen. 'Escape' does not work. Task Manager can remove the program but the results are the same when reopened. I have updated Vista, Office, BIOS and reloaded the Bluetooth driver to no affect. I ha...