Password protect workbook

I want to require a password to view an Excel 2000 document.  "Help" tells me to "save as" and then go to "tools" and click on "general" tab.  That's where I get lost!  The next instruction is to go to the "password to open" box and type in a password but I don't see that on my "general" page.

Please help!!
0
anonymous (74722)

The tab is not general, it is "security" Go to tool ->
Options ->security tab and you should be able to put in
your password. It will ask you to retype it again.
0
anonymous (74722)

Macro to update with active(live) workbooks
I am trying to record a macro that will pull from several different workbooks with active data. For Example: I want to take the data in workbook1 column "A" and copy and paste it to column "A" in workbook3, then look at workbook2 and copy and paste the data in column "A" to the first open cell in workbook3 column "A". It then needs to do the same thing for column "B" & "C". The data in workbooks 1 & 2 columns "A", "B" & "C" will be changing daily. So workbook1 column "A", &q...

Workbook Linking
ANYONE KNOW HOW TO LINK TWO WORKBOOKS TOGETHER IN SEPARATE DRIVES ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Open them both, tile them so you can see both, then click into a cell on one book, type =, then use the mouse to click into a cell on the other book and hit enter. Save the book and then close the source book, at which point the full filepath will appear in the workbook. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel ...

OWA 2k3, login when "user has to change password on logon" #2
Hello, I am working on a Windows 2003 Standard Server with Exchange 2003 Standard. Both with latest service packs. All new Users get random-generated passwords which have to be changed on first logon. The Problem: Users, who do not login on client machines but only in OWA are not able to login (because they should change their password on first-login which does not work within OWA) I already checked, that changing passwords within OWA works properly. Would be great if somebody has additional information for mee - or other scenarios for me and my users... found KB833734 (http://support.m...

Reference & update destin. cells on 1st machine from source workbook on 2nd machine
Hi, I have a question about linking and updating cells referencing another workbook on another machine on a home network. I have a workbook opened on machine A on my home network. On a second machine B located on the same network, I have a second workbook opened and on this workbook B I want a range of cells to reference a range in workbook A and update in real time (if it is possible in this case). I have formatted the destination each destination cell on machine B using the formula ='\\SourceMachineA\directory:\[WorkbookA.xls]Sheet1'!A25 When I enter the formula I get prompted wit...

Increased size of workbook when copying
Dear All I created a book last week by copying data from another book; not very large (1100 rows, 5 columns, no formulae) but at some point in between creation and when I emailed it to clients it became enormous, 8MB! I could tell because the scroll bar on the right had become tiny and even though I was at the bottom of the entered data, the scroll bar was still right near the top. What do you think might have happened, and what can I do to avoid it happening again? Thanks a lot "Diane Garrini" <diane.garrini@diageo.com> wrote in message news:0cd101c38e64$75b3d760$a...

Protected Sheets
How do I allow other useres to be able to go in and insert comments on a sheet that I have certain cells protected because I do not want them to alter the formulas? Jolo, depends on what version you have, try this, when you go to protect the sheet check edit objects -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Jolo" <Jolo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A493046-E0C4-4DCC-8C8D-9980A647D078@micros...

excel opens but the workbook doesnt
when i open an excel file, excel opens but doesnt display the file- have to drop and drag file in from elsewhere; tried re-installing excel, then windows but hasnt made difference; any thoughts? Hi uran! Most likely fix for this problem is from within Excel: Tools > Options > General Uncheck "Ignore other Applications" OK Close Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel in the Registry using the following routine. Close Excel On the Windows Taskbar Start > Run Type the following exactly including the space between exe and / excel.exe ...

Vlookup on multiple workbooks
First step: I want to be able to lookup a cell value from workbook1.xls and the find that value in workbook2.xls sheet1. Second step: Then, I need to copy the averages (named cells) from workbook1.xls t workbook2.xls sheet1. So, for example, workbook1.xls has a value of 0016 in cell D5. I pres the magic button and it looks at 0016 then switches to workbook2.xls It looks at column C and searches for 0016 in that column. After it finds 0016 in column C it then looks back at workbook1.xls an finds the value in "weightavg" (named cell) and copies that value int workbook2.xls column D...

lost password #3
I do not know my password. I've never been asked to put my password in when logging on to outlook. When I created a new identity and went back to my old identity it asked for it. Ive tried everything. "Joey Cibulski" <effenjoey@ev1.net> wrote in message news:008301c3d605$888c1c10$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I do not know my password. I've never been asked to put > my password in when logging on to outlook. When I created > a new identity and went back to my old identity it asked > for it. Ive tried everything. As you use the term "Identity" ar...

Sorting a protected worksheet in Excel 3003
I'm unable to sort a protected worksheet even though sort was enabled when I protected the sheet. I get an error message whether I use the sort command in the data dropdown or the sort commands in autofilter. Other autofilter functions work fine. ...

Global setting for Protected Cell Color?
The only thing close seems to be conditional formatting and it doesn't seem to meet my needs. I selected the whole sheet, set first box in Format | Conditional Formatting to Formula Is and set the formula to be =cell("Protect",a1)=1 and set the format as blue text. Since a1 is protected, all the cells become blue text. Any ideas how to do this globally rather than a cell by cell format? For me, when I select the entire sheet, with A1 active, and set the CF to be: CF1: Formula is =Cell("protect", A1) Format1: <font>/<blue> Only the...

Macros and protected cells
I wrote a macro to hide cells containing certain data after thei references were added. It was a schedule and I had the user inser start date and end date and then hit a button that ran a macro that hid everything outside of that region. Problem is that I don't wan the user to be able to change anything on those sheets, but the macr gave me an error saying it couldn't alter the cells, cause it wa protected. Is there a way that I can have the macro break through th protection? hopefully not as complicated as programming it to type i the password, but if that is what is needed...

Conditional formating
Is there a way to protect/lock a cell based on a formula. For example, if A1 = "Yes" then lock cell B4:B7. ...

Password Protect a Web Page
Is there an easy way to create a Splash page of sorts for a Publisher created website that would require a username and pw to enter the site? I'm not sure it would even require a db or major security... just basic security to the info on the site isn't readily accessible. I am creating some personal websites for some friends that give detailed information about their address, name, etc and one of them is pregnant. She wants the website to share with family and friends, but she is scared to share on there when her baby is due and so on with all the creepy stuff that happened l...

Printing Workbook Sheets as Separate Documents
I've set up a workbook that has 25 sheets, 3 pages each. Each worksheet is updated by the first sheet as to the serial numbe and Tech. . . i.e. Sheet 1 serial number is 10000 for all 3 pages Sheet 2 is 10001 for all 3 pages etc. The same Tech is listed on al pages. Problem, The reason each sheet is set up as 3 pages is that we mus print carbonless sets (white/Pink/Canary) and have our new printe staple them. It only works corectly if I print each sheet as a separate document. need to print all the sheets as sparate documents automatically. . How to? All help is appreciated, thank you...

Defaulting User Passwords in Active Directory
Guys, Is there a way to default all Active Directory users password.I have over 1000 users and I need to default their passwords. Platform: Exchange Server 2003 running on Windows Server 2003. -- Buchi Scripting will help with this. Here is a link to help you out. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/guide/sas_usr_davp.mspx Shirley "Buchi" wrote: > Guys, > Is there a way to default all Active Directory users password.I have over > 1000 users and I need to default their passwords. > > Platform: Exchange Server 2003 running on Windows Server 2003. ...

How to maximize workbooks (out of IE)
Hello all, when I open an Excel-File (Hyperlink) from Internet-Explorer the workbook's embedded in IE . >> No problems Then I open a worbook local from e.g. Desktop >> the workbook's displayed as "Window" and not maximized. How can this be fixed Thanks Thomas As far as I know, excel will remember how you last saved that workbook (well, in conjunction with what your current view is (if excel is open)). So save your workbook as a maximized window. Close excel and then double click on your workbook to test it out. tbk123 wrote: > > Hello all, >...

protecting a file from extension change deletion or move
hi can anyone tell me a way to stop a user of one of my spreadsheets from changing the file extension, deleting the file or moving it elsewhere within our drives? my sheets are used by many poeple and added to daily but it seems someone has been careless and accidentally deleted some vital sheets any help would be greatly appreciated As long as the users have to edit and save the workbook, I don't think you'll be able to do anything to stop people -- well, not by excel alone. If I had to rely on excel, I'd have to use macros to try to stop this behavior. And users c...

How do I protect a worksheet from being copied & pasted?
In Excel 97 I need to send a client a worksheet that I am protecting. But I don't want them to be able to copy the whole worksheet and paste it into a blank worksheet and amend that. The safest way is to print the item and scan the printed output to .tif file, then send either the .tif or a .pdf copy of the .tif (no a .pdf copy of the Worksheet) The 'Capture' process from Adobe, or a good OCR program will stil enable copy & paste, but will make it more difficult. There are very few other ways to prevent the Copy / Paste fro happening -- Bryan Hesse -----------------...

Open Workbooks
I am looping through all the workbooks in a folder, opening them, performing some task and then closing them without saving. I have turned screen updating off, but want to know if there is any way I can stop the name of the file appearing in the task bar when the file is opened? I know there are lots of arguments to the workbooks.open event but none seem to allow this. Paul Smith '/=======================================/ Sub TitleBar_FullName() 'change toolbar '...from ASAP Utilities - 08/11/2004 Application.Caption = Empty Windows(1).Caption = ...

Outlook Express Password Problem
I have multiple email accounts on outlook express 6. When one of us log on it askes for a password like it should. Well on one of our accounts some how the password stopped working so now she can't check her email. What do you think caused this and how can I fix it? Thanks, Faron This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97-2003 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.micr...

Import Data Keeps asking for Password
I have a spreadsheet that imports data from an access database query. The database is password protected (I do have the password). I have gone to the data properties and checked the box that says "Save Password" However, when I refresh the data I get numerous prompts for the databases's password and location. Some of these pop-ups have a password already in them and some do not. I would like to have to where this prompt does not even display and the password is stored to get the new information. The data refreshes only when the form is open suing the following code in VBA. ...

Worksheet Protection and Data Grouping/Outlining
I have been developing a personal financial planning model that can show either summary data or detailed data, depending on the level of grouping chosen. I would like to protect each of the worksheets to keep users from inadvertently modifying cells. When I protect a worksheet, however, it is no longer possible to change the level of grouping (clicking on the + or - to the left of the worksheet proper just gives an error message). Is there a way around this? VBA is an acceptable solution; I write a lot of it. Thanks! If you already have the outline applied, you can protect the w...

Password will not stored
Hello, I'm from Germany, so please excuse my bad english. Since today I can't store my Password in Windows Vista Mail. Both eMail accounts always ask for the eMail address and the pasword, even if I type it correctely. Yesterday it worked fine and over nigth it dosen't work anymore. All I did in the past was to intall Norton Antivirus 2010 on Sunday. Who know's about this problem? Thank's for help. Christian Norton security products are among the top three troublemakers for=20 Windows Mail. First, be sure to disable its email scanning, for the=20 r...

How to protect shapes in Excel
Hello, I have an Excel spreadsheet with different shapes on it ( check boxes, option buttons, combo boxes ). Some of them should be protected from the users. It means - if check box is checked then user should not be able to uncheck it and the opposite. These shapes should be like 'Read-only' for the user. I tried to protect the sheet with different options, but in any case user is able to check or uncheck option buttons, check boxes etc. Protecting of the sheet just doesn't let user to move the shape to different place. Thank you. Never mind, I figured it out. Thanks. ...