Password protect a document or folder

How can I set up a password to limit access to a document
or folder in Excel (or Word, etc.) I am running Windows
XP Home. It was easy to do in Win98, but can't seem to
figure it out in XP.

Bill

Any Excel or Word file can be given "password to open" attributes using(XL
2002) File>Save As>Tools>General Options.

Folders are more complex and require Windows XP settings.

The folder needs to be under your local profile, and you need to be using
NTFS to prevent access to others. Read:

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions [Q308418]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418

HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP [Q298399]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=298399

Gord Dibben  Excel MVP XL2002

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 08:20:23 -0700, "Bill" <theoldgraymare1@yahoo.com> wrote:

>How can I set up a password to limit access to a document
>or folder in Excel (or Word, etc.) I am running Windows
>XP Home. It was easy to do in Win98, but can't seem to
>figure it out in XP.

0
gdibben (257)

Create "SPAM" folder to each recepient
ehlo How can i create a folder named "SPAM" to each recipients mailbox? I 'm using Exchange 5.5 over Win2k "news.microsoft.com" <ferhan.yalcin@basari.com.tr> wrote in message news:eUs05SGeEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > ehlo > > How can i create a folder named "SPAM" to each recipients mailbox? > You can't do this on your server. What antispam software are you using or trying to use? news.microsoft.com wrote: > I 'm using Exchange 5.5 over Win2k > > > "news.microsoft.com" <ferhan.yalcin@basari....

Puplic folder overhead
DOes anyone know if PF has any overhead with regards to 16GB of storage limitation of Exchnage Standard edition? Do I need to keep an eye on the size of public floder at all? Thanks Al On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:43:06 -0700, Al Mashdi <AlMashdi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >DOes anyone know if PF has any overhead with regards to 16GB of storage >limitation of Exchnage Standard edition? Do I need to keep an eye on the size >of public floder at all? > >Thanks >Al Current Standard limit in public folders in 16GB. Exchange 2003 SP2 limit will be 75GB. ...

Training/Education Documents
I am working on a project that is asking me to educate our companies users about excel security to help us comply with the Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) requirements. Different areas I am looking to present are Cell protection, password protection, best practice input layouts, cross footing/processing controls, building error checks into the spreadsheet, etc. I have not been able to find much documentation or information on this subject on the internet, and I was wondering if anyone knows of any good sources? RH - You may find some relevant info here: http://www.eusprig.org/ For example, ...

Public Folders Performance With Outlook 2K and Outlook2K3
Hi, I experience significant slowness in using Public Folders with Outlook2k3. It seems that Outlook2K is faster when browsing items in the Public Folders. Is it true and any tricks to tweak the speed up? Many Thanks MWGP Should not be a significant difference. Please explain slowness and what type of files? Is Outlook in Cached Mode for 2003? -- John Oliver, Jr MCSE, MCT, CCNA Exchange MVP 2006 Microsoft Certified Partner "MWGP" <gpwong@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:egXNV$01GHA.4924@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I experience significant slowne...

Problems Opening Notebooks from Server 2008 Folder Share
I have asked before with no solution, and searched and searched, and am perplexed so I thought I would pose my question and summarize again. Our office uses ON extensively so this is very important to us. A summary of the issue: 1. All notebooks were saved on a SBS 2003 server share for a few years and all worked great! 2. We moved to a new Server 2008 server, and copied all notebooks to a share on the new server. 3. Now, if we try to open the notebook from a drive mapped to the server share, we get an error requesting a password but can't enter a password, and can't...

Keep user passwords
Hi! We've just finished installing a new Exchange server and connecting it to a separate DC. We used to have everything on the same server but we'd like to be able to scale our solution better in the future - therefore the new setup. Users are primarily connecting to Exchange by means of RPC over HTTP from clients that are not part of our AD. The old setup allowed users to save passwords if they configured their clients to use NTLM authentication and followed the directions in this article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;820281. This worked both for RPC...

Replicate Large Public folder hierarchy
My environment is Exch 5.5 sp4 running on Windows2k member server in NT4 domain. Our organization has over 60 Exchange sites of which I manage 4. I need to replicate a mass of public folders from site A to a particular server in site B. I am getting rid of a server in site B to which I had replicated all of the public folders from site A. I now need to have these folder replicated to another server in site B. It is a large hierarchy of folders that I need to replicate -- too many for me to click on each one to create the replicas. Is the only other way to accomplish this replication usin...

New OWA Accounts and Passwords
In our organization several users share the same computer system throughout the day and night. The systems are running more of a terminal application and cannot be logged in and out of frequently. They all use a common network logon. For these reasons OWA would be ideal for their e-mail needs. I have set up individual accounts for all users and created individual Exchange mailboxes as well. I have also ensured that the accounts are initialized by sending an e-mail to them. The problem is that the users cannot log onto OWA without first logging onto the network at least once. Is there an...

When i save in excelit says document not saved
When i try and save in excel it won't let me, and it won't let me rename the file and save it. Is your file set to Read Only? To change this, go into Windows Explorer, find the folder containing your file, right click the filename and left click "Properties" Now, remove the checkmark from "Read Only", go back into Excel and try again. Hope this helps Pete Click on File, Save As, then click the "Tools" button at the top left of the dialog box. "MW" wrote: > When i try and save in excel it won't let me, and it won't let me ren...

Can't Open Shared Calendar in Public Folder
I have OL 2007 running on exchange server 2003. Here is the scenario: 1. Created new calendar in public folders. 2. Gave "owner" permission to all users in outlook. 3. Trying to open the calendar to view as an overlay of my calendar. 4. Clicked on my calendar and then clicked on the calendar icon on the bottom to list available calendars with checkboxes. The new calendar in the public folders is not there. Do I need to open the shared calendar first? If so, I can't seem to find it when I click "open shared calendar". Thanks! did you add it to the public folder...

How to customise the order of folder in Folder List?
Hi, Currently my Outlook's Folder List view is as follow: + 2003 PST + Mailbox - My_Name <- this is my mailbox on our Exchange + Public Folders + Roger PST <- This is where the Incoming mails will be delivered How can I make it to be shown as follow?: + Roger PST + 2003 PST + Mailbox - My_Name + Public Folders Thanks for any pointers. ,Sur Hi Sur, Outlook automatically sorts the folders in alphabetical order, placing numbers before letters. To get around this you can preface the name of each folder by a number, or place a "." (period) in front of fo...

Synchronizing contact folders #2
Is there any way to synchronize public folder contacts with an users exchange mailbox contacts? The idea is that when the PDAs sync the user's profile, that they get the share company contacts folder. Hi Peter, your Outlook version is? Your Exchange Server version is? You could use 3rd party tools which support the synchronizatio directly with "Public Folders": http://www.slipstick.com/addins/olpda.htm You could try (for Outlook 2002) a freeware tool of Microsoft "Outlook PCS": "Outlook 2002 Add-in: Pocket Contact Synchronizer 1.2" http://www.micro...

IStorage, IStream and folder copying to Clipboard
I have an application which represents the filesystem of a device connected via a serial link. I do navigate the device's filesystem and copy files to/from using drag/drop or clipboard. Here comes the problem. I implemented Drag/Drop and Clipboard using CF_FILEDESCRIPTOR and CF_FILECONTENTS with IStream. But i donno how to copy the nested folders from the application to the Windows Explorer. Should i enumerate the contents of folder and all itz subfolders to create the FILEGROUPDESCRIPTOR? It can be timeconsuming over the serial link. :-((( Somewhere i read that 'IStorage' can be...

Difference between Password Prottect vrs. Encrypt
What is the difference between using Save As > Tools > General Options versus Prepare > Encrypt Document. The old password-protect function in MS was weak, and in Office 2007, they created a real encryption capability. What I don't know if whether or not the password-protect function now uses the real encryption capability or not. ...

eConnect and Apply Sales Documents
I would like to use eConnect 9.0 Web Services to Apply Sales Documnets. I can create a Cash Receipt, but cannot figure out how to apply that to Invoices. Can this be done via eConnect 9.0? Chris: I am not sure about the web services side, but I do know for a fact that eConnect has a procedure called taRMApply that allows me to apply documents. I have to specify them as it doesnt' "auto" do them, but it does work out fine. Perhaps the web service side has something like this as well. Here are the fields in the schema in case you care: @I_vAPTODCNM char(20), /* Apply...

Trouble modifying Folder rights
I am working on a script to create new users in our domain. One of the steps is to create a home directory. What I want to accomplish is create the folder. Turn off inheritance from the parent object, and add the the individual rules that are necessary. So far I can create the folder and get the current acl but it does not seem to be getting modified. here is my code so far. New-Item "\\***********\test2" -type directory $strFolder = "\\***********\test2" $ACL = Get-Acl $strFolder $identity = "Domain\admjsampson" $rights = "modify"...

Update Documentation First then deploy Payroll Tax Update!!
Could you please update your documentation before adding a payroll tax update to the automatic update feature!? Last night I check your update page and it only showed the 2007 Round 5 payroll update so I ran the automatic update process. Well it seem that you decided to deploy the 2008 update without telling anyone you were doing it. So now I wait for support to get me a script to fix "my mistake". That is the last time I trust Microsoft GP!!! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote fo...

Public Folder Replication #21
Hello, I have recently added a new Exchange2003sp1 server to my Domain and am transitioning data from an Exchange 2000 server to the new ex03 server. I am following the steps in Article 307917 Regarding Removing the first Exchange 2000 server from a domain. I have set all of my public folders to replicate to the new server, however not all of the data is making it to the new server. It appears that all of the folders have made it to the new server, but some folders are empty, some only have partial contents. is there a way to force a replication of all data from one server to the o...

Forcing users to change their passwords on version 9
Why is this version doing this and how can we turn this off? We do not have a Windows 2003 domain nor do we have SQL 2005 so we cannot have GP use our AD's passwords for Great Plains. As the system admin, I give the user's their passwords for the application and it is setup to match their domain passwords, so they don't have 2 and 3 passwords depending on the application. SO now with version 9, they have to change it? There must be a setting somewhere to turn this on. I looked at the user setup window and the enforce passwords buttons are all unchecked and greyed out. ...

system password #2
I suffered through a error riddled installation, likely a result of my choosing to install to an existing SQL Server. I set the project aside for several weeks. Today I have thrashed about a bit, done a couple of Check Links but I am currently being informed that I need to establish a currency, but entering Setup - Financial - Multicurrency I am asked for a system password. As I am logged in as the SQL sa I find this strange and rather distressing. Is uninstalling the only way to recover from an unknown system password? -- Randy Hersom Habilitation Software Inc. Randy Hersom wr...

Set Password Expiry period/date
How can I set a password expirry date In Access? You can't. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "stinhop" <stinhop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:311B9C67-E6B1-4BF8-B858-BD3FB90A6AC0@microsoft.com... > How can I set a password expirry date Thanks! "Douglas J. Steele" wrote: > In Access? You can't. > > -- > Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP > http://I.Am/DougSteele > (no private e-mails, please) > > > "stinhop" <stinhop@discussions.m...

Word Converted My WordPerfect Documents
Hi. I installed a trial version of OFFICE, which somehow converted all of my many WordPerfect documents over to Word, thus causing a lot of difficulty. I have tried for several weeks to contact MS, for this simple question, and haven't found help. When I uninstall Office, will my original documents stored in WordPerfect, plus any additions I added while they were in Word, be fully restored to WordPerfect with no inconvenience to me? Thank you very much. You're in the wrong newsgroup for this question. This group deals with Microsoft Access - you want one that deals with Mic...

Ex2k3 Public Folder Redundancy
Hi, I have a new Exchange 2k3 server that we've added to our environment. I'd like to create a new public folder store and replicate all the data from my first server to the second for redundancy. I would prefer to not have to go through each public folder and create a new replica. What's the best way to do this? Thanks! Hi, To do this you would have to set up replicas, but its not that hard. You can set up the replica at the top level then you propogate the settings. Right click on the top level folder and point to all tasks, click Propogate settings and click to enab...

hyperlink in outlook is not working,it goesto save document
outlook hyperlink not working <outlook hyperlink not working@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: <nothing> Ask your question in the body of the message next time, and include yuor version of Outlook. Try starting IE and clicking Tools>Internet Options>Programs>Reset Web Settings. -- Brian Tillman ...

remote user password cache update?
I'm enforcing a 90 day password policy but I'm not sure what method would best help remote users to update their domain cache password once they change it from OWA. Since my VPN does not allow to authenticate prior to the domain login, remote users are often loggin in with their cache acct. What is the best method to update their cache acct once its changed from the web? Thanks in advance, ct [Best posted in security newsgroups} That's been a thorny issue for a while - more so if your vpn also uses passwords for authentication. If you implement web-based password-change...