password controlled files

Background - A colleague of mine died and his wife is
trying to recover files in Excel for his Tax etc (in
Switzerland) - she i saverage user capable - he password
protected all his files and she does not know how to
proceed.

Request - any advice on procedures, contacts or services
that would help her or a company representative in
Switzerland to open these files and get data to a non
protected version so probate can be processed.

i am deliberately not asking for detailed answers for
security reasons - if there is a simple procedure please
post back to me to be followed up outside of a chat group.
0
anonymous (74722)

Stephen,

There are a number of web sites offering programs to crack
passwords or unprotect the files for you (for a fee, of course).
Workbook Open protection is the hardest to crack but it
can be done. Most crack programs use brute force to open
the files so it can take days to actually do it.
Anyway, one such site is here:
http://www.lostpassword.com
A quick search of the Google archives will turn up many others.

John

"Stephen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Background - A colleague of mine died and his wife is
> trying to recover files in Excel for his Tax etc (in
> Switzerland) - she i saverage user capable - he password
> protected all his files and she does not know how to
> proceed.
>
> Request - any advice on procedures, contacts or services
> that would help her or a company representative in
> Switzerland to open these files and get data to a non
> protected version so probate can be processed.
>
> i am deliberately not asking for detailed answers for
> security reasons - if there is a simple procedure please
> post back to me to be followed up outside of a chat group.

0
jwilson (359)

Importing a Lotus file with a *.123 extension
My company uses Excel 97 and 2000 and we've received a Lotus file with a *.123 extension. Excel will not allow me to open it as it does not have the *.wk? format. I searched the web and while I found numerous people with the same problem I found no one who had the conversion answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Find someone with Lotus ver 9 or higher. Have them open the file, and save it as *.wk4 If you dont have Lotus available and want you can send it to me and I will do it for you Thanks "jim" <jimsto@gorbel.com> wrote in message news:088d01c35...

Navigation Bars
I put Navigation bars on my publisher website document. When I try to publish to a file or to the web, the Navigation Bars do not appear on the page(s). How do I resolve this?? Answer found in the web group. DavidF "Tom Snyder" <Tom Snyder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A55B689-FE9D-4E1E-9B6C-3ED571156D46@microsoft.com... >I put Navigation bars on my publisher website document. When I try to >publish > to a file or to the web, the Navigation Bars do not appear on the page(s). > How do I resolve this?? Tony, did you get an answer to this...

Problem to open excel file
Hi to all, I have a problem with all excel file. The user can't open all excel file when she did a double click on it. She has this error message : "cannot find the file 'c:\documents and settings\desktop\......test.xls' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct. And that all required libraries are available" Do you know what can I do to solve the issue?? regards Malcolm Your Excel file association may be lost. Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes and note the space before the / mark). You may have to en...

Excel is creating temp files Help!!!
Hi i have to files in excel, i cant figure it out, whenever i open th files, they create temp files into the same location, when i shut dow the program the temp files are left there. Is their a way to make it so temp files are not saved. Or is their a way to make it so that the creation of temp files i turned off. Thanks jaso -- greenfalco ----------------------------------------------------------------------- greenfalcon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1362 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26182 What do th...

How do I Restore old save dbx files back into OE store folder
I have some old dbx files that I saved into a folder in 'My documents' some time ago during earlier OE back ups. I now wish to re-import some of these saved dbx folders back into OE in order to assess some of these emails again. I've been looking at the wed sites 'Inside OE' and 'OE help'. But can't seem find or see the part that will give me directions on how to do this. Some of these saved dbx folders have the same names of existing folders that I'm currently using in OE. So presumably, I'm going to have to do some folder renaming or s...

How to Change Value of Active Control
I'm writing a routine to change the value of any Active Control to null. I can get the name of the control using ActiveControl.Name but I can't figure out the syntax to change the value of this control. I've tried assigning it to variables but variables aren't working in a: Forms![variable]![variable] = "" Help "Sondreli" <Sondreli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA05A840-2AFE-4F98-ABE9-5D2DD17AE0B8@microsoft.com... > I'm writing a routine to change the value of any Active Control to null. > I > can g...

How Do I Copy My Outlook Files To My New Computer?
I exported my Outlook files from my old computer and burned them to a CD. During the export process, it asked me three times for a password. When I tried to import these files to my new computer I got "File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file." Can anyone help? Apart from the fact that Import/Export options often lead to corruption - you should use a simple pst copy - The pst needs to be on the hd and the read only flag off, before In OL attempting to open it. NB not import <aprice6@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1145746658.84...

Using XP Briefcase with money file

Help with automating file name
I have the following code that exports the below query to excell. I would like the files name to include the month and date. How would I format this? DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputQuery, "qryShopOrderSqFtShippedSummaryExport",_ acFormatXLS, "W:\Cokato\Production\ProdRoomRpt.xls" -- Matt Campbell mattc (at) saunatec [dot] com Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200708/1 Hi, Matt. > I would > like the files name to include the month and date. Uh, . . . the date _always_ includes the month, unless you're r...

control type
hi when im adding a new control attachment into a form , appears some other controls like ...controlname.filedata ,controlname.fileflag, controlname. filetimestamp ,controlname.fileURL etc.... whats all these , r these usefull and needed ? thanks This occurs only in Access 2007, and only for multi-valued fields. The example you gave is for a field of type Attachment. One record can have multiple attachments. In a query, you can get at the information within each of the items in the multi-valued field. For example look at the FileType to see if the attachment is a picture (e.g. JPG),...

outlook adreddbook file
I want to export the addressbook flie into database to be uses in a quiry. is it possible and how do i do it? Outlook has no separate "address book file." Contact data is stored in your Contacts Folder Use the Export Wizard to export it to the format that best suits your needs. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Helpneeded" <derontayp@aol.com> wrote in message news:261e01c3af79$7d94e740$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I want to export the addressbook flie into database to be > uses in a quiry. is it possible and how do i do it? ...

Contact file not visible when importing or exporting contacts
I'm tidying up all my contacts files for email and also for my mobile ph using outlook. Have done this many times without any problems and am familiar with import export process. I exported all the contacts to an excel file to work on as it's much easier than through outlook. Had a hiccup at first as when I got to the select a contact file to export there was just a blank space. I exited outlook and went back in and it was all OK. Now I've finished the excel spreadhsheet and want to reimport it but it's the same problem in reverse. I can't "see" a co...

How to remove the /dde from Windows Explorer File Open on Install
I have an MDI app that I would like to open a file on a double click in Windows Explorer. Unfortunately the Explorer File Type (Tools>Folder Options... File Types tab) is set so that the command invokes dde. Ie. The "open" option under the "Advanced" button is C:\Path...\App.exe /dde and the DDE message is [open("%1")]. This never seems to work as my app never sees the dde message and the initialization of m_pCmdInfo via: m_pCmdInfo = (CCommandLineInfo*)(UINT_PTR)m_nCmdShow; sets the pointer to one and the app fails on exit. This is referred as a kn...

Creating Control Grid
Hi all, I would like to know as to how I should go about creating a control grid of my very own. I just need a bit of push (suggestions). Thanks In Advance Where are you getting stuck? Of course, if the grid isn't too large and most of the cells will have data, then you could simply use a two-dimensional array. For larger grids that will be sparsley populated, there are a couple of algorithms to consider. A simple one is to create a one-dimensional array that represents the rows (or columns), and have each item contain or reference a linked list for all items in that row (complete...

Force command to run for each computer in txt file list of compute
I have a few hundred computers that haven't been defragged in years. I was wondering if rather than doing it manually, if someone had a script where if i just put all the computer names in a txt file, it would iterate through the list and perform a "defrag c: -f" on them all from my workstation. The workstations all have the same local administrator password, so the process would be the same for each. I just dont know how to write scripts. I know if i were going to do this manually from my computer I would run the command below for each ComputerName psexec ...

Won't Remember Password #2
My email account calls for the password everytime I use it. Even when I check the box to remember my password, it won't retain it. I run XP. Anyone else having problems with this? If you are still having problems after applying both the SP 1 & 2 = patches, then see if this article addresses your problemL OL2002: The Save Password Setting Is Not Saved When You Connect to a = POP3 Server http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb;en-us;290684 --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups...

Getting an UnBound control value into a Table field??????
I have a form that calculates a production rate in "parts per hour". This form needs to be able to differentiate between Line work, Cutter work, Side work, and Blister work. I created a drop down list for selecting the "Study Type" as listed above. I then created a text box for each "study type". When I select the "study type" each text box checks to see if the selection applies to it and makes the calculation if it does apply. The code for the "Line" study is as follows: =IIf([StudyType]="Line",2700?/[SecondsPerPart])...

Open excel file
Hi, I want to open excel file using a commnad button placed in a form. I have read the other questions to this to use runapplication. But, what I am looking for is as follows: i have tax database which contain the taxpayer name, taxyear and the Taxid number. I have placed this table in a form. The tax caluclations are made in excel and stored in a particular folder say named, Tax_comp and with filenames Taxpayer_year.xlsx. I want to place a command button on the form, and when the user clicks the command button, i want the particular tax payer excel tax computation file sto...

outlook error after domain controller reboot?
Hello, We have 2 DCs in 1 site. 2003 AD Ex 2003 Both ADs are GCs and one has all the other roles. Rid PD emulator ect When I reboot one of the DCs clients sometimes get errors and are not able to send mail. However while the DC is rebooting if they just close outlook and re open it ....it seems to attach itslef to the DC that is up and running and works fine. How can I get it to be smoother? So they dont have to close and open outlook. thanks What type of errors do you get? What client are using? If Outlook 2003 are you in cached mode? Is this a single domain environment? Nue &qu...

File folder info. in Excel workbook?
Good day all. Excel 2007. XP Pro. Is there a way to have all available excel files in a particular folder listed (updated in real time) in an excel spreadsheet where the user can click on one or more of them to open those files or at least retrieve specific data from them? I have a situation where files representing cost centres and each month of the year need to present data into a worksheet used for reporting purposes. So potentially 5 x 12 = 60 files. But these are only created as the months pass. so at the end of month1 there would only be the 5 files, month 2 there would be...

arranging items in a list control
hi the code below is suppose to move a selected item in a list control upwards, it works for the first column have not the second one(it only deletes the items in the 2nd column), what do you think is wrong Thanks for your help void CTestingDlg::OnUp() { int nIndex; CString strCommand,strCommand2; nIndex = m_cListCtrl.GetNextItem(-1, LVNI_SELECTED); ASSERT(-1 != nIndex); strCommand = m_cListCtrl.GetItemText(nIndex, 0); strCommand2 = m_cListCtrl.GetItemText(nIndex,1); m_cListCtrl.DeleteItem(nIndex); nIndex = m_cListCtrl.InsertItem(nIndex - 1, strCommand); m_cListCtrl...

Publisher cannot save file???
I am working on a brochure in Publisher. I have tried to save and received the message "Publisher cannot save file". Any direction or help would be greatly appreciated. Carrie No other wording? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Carrie" <Carrie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D0E3E735-A56A-4D5C-A33E-E89716AA475C@microsoft.com... >I am working on a brochure in Publisher. I have tried to save and received > the message "Publisher cannot save file". Any direction or help would be > greatly appreciated. > >...