overwritten excel file

Is there any way to open and excell file and retrieve an earlier version at a earliet priouc date even thoug it was saved/over-written to the same file name  / same location?
0
lg (7)

Dan,

No, the original version is gone forever.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Dan LG" <Dan LG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to open and excell file and retrieve an
earlier version at a earliet priouc date even thoug it was
saved/over-written to the same file name  / same location?

0
chip1 (1821)
8/1/2004 7:46:01 PM
.... unless you have a backup somewhere. Ask your system administrator about
when your data is backed up.

--
Regards
Andy Wiggins

"Chip Pearson" <chip@cpearson.com> wrote in message
> Dan,
>
> No, the original version is gone forever.
>

> --
> Cordially,
> Chip Pearson
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> www.cpearson.com
>

> "Dan LG" <Dan LG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there any way to open and excell file and retrieve an
> earlier version at a earliet priouc date even thoug it was
> saved/over-written to the same file name  / same location?

0
Andy

Excel file crashes when opened for certain users only
Got a shared xl file sitting on a share on the network. Two teams have the exact same access to this share. One team can open the shared xl file without error. With the other group, trying to open this file crashes Excel. Both teams use the same pc build and have the exact same access to the same share. Affected users can open other xl files from same share, just this one xl file that won't load for them, but will for others. This is driving me nuts Any advice? RoJoBo Clean temp files, temp internet files on the pc that crashes "RoJoBo" <anonymous@discussions.mi...

IS PST files Auto compact
I wonder is the PST file auto compact by itself on all vesrion of outlook, or I have to compact it manually to reduce it size. when mail is deleted and empty from recycle bin, does the pst file size reduce by itself atually before compacting. antonia_jasper@yahoo.com <antonia_jasper@yahoo.com> wrote: > I wonder is the PST file auto compact by itself on all vesrion of > outlook, or I have to compact it manually to reduce it size. > > when mail is deleted and empty from recycle bin, does the pst file > size reduce by itself atually before compacting. According to Micr...

How to open a PDF file through HELP button?
HI, I want to open a PDF file (just usually open it) through HELP button control. I do not know how I can open it. If someone knows it, could you give me some suggestions. Thx ucb gjin@mail.utexas.edu wrote: > HI, > > I want to open a PDF file (just usually open it) through HELP > button control. I do not know > how I can open it. If someone knows it, could you give me some > suggestions. Thx ucb: Just open the file with ShellExecute(). Of course the machine has to have Adobe Reader (or some other reader) for this to work. -- David Wilkinson Visual C++ MVP O...

How to get a separate Undo for each of several files?
To demonstrate on two files: write A into file 1, then B into file 2, C into file 1, D into file 2 Now, in whichever window you use Undo, it will first remove the D, then C, then B, then A. While this can be useful, it is not a behaviour I would prefer, but rather an Undo that only works for the current file. How can I turn it off? I have the feint idea this is a new feature (I am speaking here of Excel 2003). I don't think it's a new feature. And undo is an application feature. You may want to request an enhancement to xlwish@microsoft.com Peter Sidor wrote: > > To d...

CreateFileMapping()
CreateFileMapping() - still succeeded without a system Page File? I configured my computer so that no harddisk drive has a page file. The strange thing is: when I call CreateFileMapping() to create an MMF object backed by the system paging file, the API still succeeds. My codes: HANDLE hFileMap = CreateFileMapping(INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE, NULL, PAGE_READWRITE, 0, 64 * 1024, _T("MySharedData")); How can this happen? Thanks. ...

Opening file when file name is always different
Using Excel 97 on WINNT Each fortnight I receive a report which is then formatted and save using a dated filename for the next Wednesday e.g. "570 Repor 28-07-2004". Next period, this report will be automatically saved as 570 Repor 11-08-2004". I use the code: "G:\ER\570 report " & Format(date+4-weekday(date), "dd-mm-yyyy") ".xls" which was kindly supplied by Dave Peterson. I am now trying to compare fortnightly reports and was wondering i there is a way to call the current report and the previous fortnightl report using VBA as part of a mac...

Save tabs to their own file
I have a large excel file with many tabs. I would like to be able to save each tab to their own file with a simple process -- in as few steps as possbile. Not one by one. Can anyone suggest a way to do this? What I would also potentially like to do is have the file name it saves as be defined as a single cell location that is in the same spot on every tab. For example the content in cell C14 on every tab would be the file name... Thanks! There may be some VB code that can automate that, but with regular excel commands, you have to make a new workbook, copy the sheet to it...

can't open mny2005 file in MSmoney2008
I'm at my wits end! could anyone please help??here is my problem. I have been using money since 6.0 (1998). Every year i have been creating new seperate files. 98,99,2000.2001,2002,2003 etc. I have since upgraded to MSMONEY 2005 (14.0.120.xxxx) which is the US version. We had to format the computer because of a crash. Fortunately, we backup the mny files. We were able to open ALL the files in MSMONEY 2005 (thus being able to convert them to the MNY2005 version). As microsoft is ending production of MSMONEY we decided to move to QUICKEN. Knowing there is a built-i...

Inserting files into excel worksheets
Why is there no option for inserting an files into an existing Excel worksheet similar to the option forinserting files into Word and PowerPoint files. I work for a CPA firm and this would be a valuable feature feature. "ccwies" <ccwies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FFC33867-4C40-45F8-89E0-540ABD94AC3C@microsoft.com... > Why is there no option for inserting an files into an existing Excel > worksheet similar to the option forinserting files into Word and > PowerPoint > files. I work for a CPA firm and this would be a valuable feature feature...

Excel progress bar
Is there a way to display a progress bar in adjacent cells? For example: Budget Column $5000, Expense Column $2500, Next column is a bar that shows 50% has been spent. Thanks Hi MeTheITGuy, Easy if you have Excel 2007. Otherwise you could try this macro to build your own progress bars. Option Explicit Sub BuildBar() ' Builds rectangle shapes in column C ' for this sample we assume that the range A2:B6 ' contains budget in col A, and actual in col B ' we want a bar in Col C that is proportional to ' col B / col A Dim inpRange As Range Dim actual As Range Dim barLe...

surface in radar charts in Excel
Dear All, Maybe someone knows how to calculate a surface of radar chart for on series. Your support will be apreciated, very much Thanks & regards elk -- elk ----------------------------------------------------------------------- elka's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3426 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=54020 Hi, Break the problem down by calculating the area of each triangle in the radar plot and then summing them. Assuming your data series for a 3 point radar chart is in A1:A3 put this formula into...

how to write some xml into huge xml file into speceific location???
Hello! Is anyone can help me to figure out how to write some xml into huge xml file into speceific location??? Say, i have a file about 139 Mb and i need to write some data (xml) into it, but in speceific location (specified by XPath for example). i have tryed used MSXML dom for it, but its eats memory like a twice bigger then my file. Is any way to do that without that hurt? thank you, Xenia. Xenia wrote: > Is anyone can help me to figure out how to write some xml into huge xml file > into speceific location??? > > Say, i have a file about 139 Mb and i need to write some d...

How to best approach deleting records with both duplicate a address and a duplicate name in a large flat file
Hello, I have a medium sized file (approx 30,000 records) that has many names and addresses that have been entered twice. I need to find an efficient way to delete all records that have both a duplicate name and a duplicate address. Records with a duplicate name but not a duplicate address should stay and vice versa. Is there a best way to approach this? Should this typically be handled with a query. Does the Find duplicates query handle this problem well? Thanks for any insight anyone can provide. I am sure this is a common problem, but i have not had to do it before and my first few attem...

Data>Filter>Auto Filter in excel 2007?
I have Excel 2003, but oversee a large group that has Excel 2007 (just got it). I can't find simple instructions on how to Auto Filter. Please help On the Data tab you can turn AutoFilter on and off Or use Alt dff to Toggle See also http://www.rondebruin.nl/0307commands.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "TIJ" <TIJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DCAD1A38-EC91-4CAC-B090-8355BEED1148@microsoft.com... >I have Excel 2003, but oversee a large group that has Excel 2007 (just got it). > > I can't find simple ins...

Opening file. . . with office 97
This problem only seems to happen with computers in our office that have office 97. What happens is that when they go to open a file from the server, it opens to the middle of the alphabet, not at the A's. So, I am curious if anyone else has had this problem, or know why it would happen. Thanks! ...

Corrupt file after Money Crashed
I was using MS Money '05 when my computer suddenly shut down / rebooted due to some sort of power surge in my house. Regardless, the next time I tried to open my money file (My Money.mny) a window popped up that said "Money has detected that you did not close the file "My Money" before exiting. Money now needs to verify the information in your file. If your file is large, this may take a few minutes. Do you want to do this now?" When I click "YES" the progress bar goes to about 25% then an error message pops up saying "The e-mail address or pas...

set up a column in excel with unique entries
How does one create a column to accept only unique serial numbers. The serial number will contain text if that matters. Thanks in advance, Hi! Use Data Validation. Select the range in question. Assume that range is A1:A10. Goto Data>Validation From the Allow list select Custom In the Formula box enter: =COUNTIF(A$1:A$10,A1)=1 OK out. Biff >-----Original Message----- >How does one create a column to accept only unique serial numbers. The >serial number will contain text if that matters. > >Thanks in advance, > >. > Using Validation is one way. See Debr...

Excel: Finding external "links" in a spreasheet
People send me spreadsheets to copy dat into a master spreadsheet. Since there is a mix of formulas and linked data, I want to identfy exactly what cells have links, and then I want to remove selected links. Does anyone know how to identify what cells have the links, without investigating each and every cell? Thanks! Until Excel gets a native find links feature............. Download Bill Manville's FINDLINK.XLA from Stephen Bullen's site. http://www.oaltd.co.uk/Default.htm Click on link to MVP's With this add-in you can find and delete links if any exist. Gord Dibben Ex...

When I open a workbook in Excel, nothing appears.
If I'm trying to open some xls file, Excel would open, but nothing happening after that. But if I go directly from Excel and try to open this file everything would be fine. I already tried to reassociate Excel with all Excel file "/regserver". Didn't help. Any ideas? Hi Try this Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Aleksey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:315e01c4c2b0$c9b017d0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > If I...

How to Transfer data from Excel to SQL SERVER 2000
hi! i want to transfer data from MS Excel Sheets to SQL Server. is there any way. Thanks Ahmad Jalil Qarshi The simplest way is to use the DTS Import Wizard. -- Tom ---------------------------------------------------- Thomas A. Moreau, BSc, PhD, MCSE, MCDBA SQL Server MVP Columnist, SQL Server Professional Toronto, ON Canada www.pinpub.com .. "Ahmad Jalil Qarshi" <ahmaddearNO@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message news:ec7wd8abFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... hi! i want to transfer data from MS Excel Sheets to SQL Server. is there any way. Thanks Ahmad Jalil Qa...

Excel 97 to Excel 2000
Is there a tool to properly convert worksheets created under Excel 97 to Excel 2000 format ? Spreadsheet contains VB macros & links to other spreadsheets. Thanks. Christine, I don't think you will have any problem with your files, anything created in 97 should run on 2000 -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Using Excel 2000 & 97 Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "Christine" <christine.wong@btfinancialgroup.com> wrote in message news:038501...

ms excel 2000 #2
i am trying to pass a basic I.T. exam and am having trouble with the design of spreadsheets. Are there any i can veiw online or could someone E-Mail me some examples so i can get the idea behind this. David, There are lots of web sites with tutorials. Search for something like Excel tutorial. Also: http://j-walk.com/ss/help/index.htm http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/links/xllinks3.htm www.cpearson.com http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0FC3A382-43C8-43E6-8C78-69A...

pst file size not smaller after archive
Greetings, i have manually triggered an archive instead of using the auto arhive funtion. i found out afterwards that the pst file size in Exchange remains unchanged even though the emails can no longer be found in the Inbox. What could i have not done correctly? regards Jason After removing stuff from your pst file, you need to compact it before the file size will shrink. Go to Tools|Services, click on 'Personal folders', then 'Properties', and then 'Compact now' (these instructions are for Outlook 2000, no idea if they work in later versions). HTH Adam "...

excel 2002
I am trying to copy a worksheet (sheet2) to a new worksheet (sheet3) all within the same file, but when I do the copy, not all of the formulas changed. The formulas that did not change all reference a sheet number. This is an example of one of my formulas under sheet2: =+Sheet1!B3+1. When I copy this to the new worksheet (sheet3), I want it to be: =+Sheet2!b3+1, but the formula will not change. Any ideas on how I can have the sheet number change automaticly? Greg wrote: > I am trying to copy a worksheet (sheet2) to a new worksheet (sheet3) all > within the same file, but when ...

how do I protect my outlook data file in a domain with exchange se
I have VERY confidential info in my outlook 2007 ost data file and recently found everyone on network within domain (all use exchange for mail) have FULL ACCESS to my entire data file, even though not shared by me. Dug deeper and found my IT guy (a taz-man) had setup "everyone with Domain Admin permissions" - not right my any means... all have complete run of the domain and can open my entire outlook data file (inbox, calendar, tasks, contacts & more) from their workstation. I'm livid - need a way to LOCK DOWN everyone from ability to view my data ASAP as it i...