Overwriting Cells

I cannot seem to get the "Alert Before Overwriting Cells" option to work.
Although I have the box checked I can overwrite non-empty cells without a
message. Can someone please help???

That warning is only for drag and drop operations.  With the option selected
make an entry in A1 and in A2.  Drag A1 on top of A2.  You should get a
warning.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
"Keith bedford" <Keithbedford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I cannot seem to get the "Alert Before Overwriting Cells" option to work.
| Although I have the box checked I can overwrite non-empty cells without a
| message. Can someone please help???

0
jrrech (1932)
3/9/2005 9:25:08 PM
This message pops up if you're copying/moving a range using the mouse.

Not with ctrl-c (or ctrl-x)|ctrl-V
(or edit|copy (or cut), edit|paste)

Did you get the warning when you copied/moved via the mouse?

Keith bedford wrote:

> I cannot seem to get the "Alert Before Overwriting Cells" option to work.
> Although I have the box checked I can overwrite non-empty cells without a
> message. Can someone please help???

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> This message pops up if you're copying/moving a range using the mouse.
>
> Not with ctrl-c (or ctrl-x)|ctrl-V
> (or edit|copy (or cut), edit|paste)
>
> Did you get the warning when you copied/moved via the mouse?
>
> Keith bedford wrote:
> >
> > I cannot seem to get the "Alert Before Overwriting Cells" option to work.
> > Although I have the box checked I can overwrite non-empty cells without a
> > message. Can someone please help???
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Using the fill handle won't cause the warning either.

But dragging the selection over a range that has stuff in it will cause the
warning to pop up.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Referencing merged cells
I'm having trouble referencing a merged cell in another workbook. Say I merge cells A1 to C1 in workbook 1. When I make this the active cell, the Name Box says "A1". When I go to another workbook (say, workbook 2), go to cell B1, type "=" and then go to the merged cell and select it, I get 'workbook1'!$A$1:$C$1 as the formula and, of course, the "#VALUE" error. I've successfully tried typing "=sum(" without the quotes hen clicking on the contents of the cell and then adding the ")" and it works O.K. but there should be an easi...

Axis label that corresponds to cell
I have an interactive graph which graphs data from a set column. This column changes depending on what is selected on a list selector. I was wondering if there is a way to label the y axis whatever was in, say cell AD11. I was hoping that that this would be something easy that I could write into the excel chart wizard, like =$AD$11, but it is not. Any help would be appreciated. -- pete3589 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ pete3589's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28402 View this thread: http://www.exce...

Finding the currently selected cell in another worksheet
Hi, In Excel 2002 I want to display the current row of worksheet A in worksheet B (in another format). Does anyone know how to do this? Ideal would be if this updates automatically, but performance wise I guess a macro activated by a button in worksheet A would be the best solution. TBH, Jeroen Jeroen, I don't know of a way in a formula to determine the active cell of the worksheet. Worksheets other than the active one don't have an active cell. I think macros are the only way. Put this in a regular module: Public Roww As Long Put this in the sheet A module: Private Sub W...

Auto fill cells with dates, exclude weekends?
What I'm doing is filling in multiple cells with dates (by dragging and filling) automatically. I was wondering if there was anyway for it to skip the weekends within the dates? Thanks in advance. Hi Sam rather than dragging with the left mouse button down, drag with the right .... when you let go you'll see an option for fill weekdays. Cheers JulieD "Sam Weber" <sam@hostradius.com> wrote in message news:af3901c4796d$85dff660$a501280a@phx.gbl... > What I'm doing is filling in multiple cells with dates > (by dragging and filling) automatically. I was wo...

Easy formula question -sum of 1 cell to end
Thanks for looking . How do you format a formula to display the sum of, let's say A1 to "however far down the spreadsheet goes" without having to name an ending cell? This sheet has no end and I need to display the total in a column that keeps growing. I hope I phrased this correctly. Hi Edward You could do it this way =SUM(A:A), that will cover the full column. HTH John "Edward" <222@333.com> wrote in message news:erIdCRRkJHA.1288@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Thanks for looking . > How do you format a formula to display the sum of, let's say ...

How do I ignore blank cells while averaging the solutions of equat
I'm trying to average (items produced/manhours/workers) over the course of a week. The problem is each job isnt worked every day, so I have blank cells in my equation. Here is what I'm typing: =AVERAGE((B4/C4/D4),(E4/F4/G4),(H4/I4/J4),(K4/L4/M4),(N4/O4/P4)). I know there is a way to ignore #DIV/0 results, but I'm fairly new to Excel. I'm also trying to keep this all in one row to save space. Any help will be appreciated. -Ryan take a look at the subtotal function and see if it meets your needs. -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "Kis...

Excel VBA
Hi. Is it possible to use VBA in one workbook to copy a worksheet fro another workbook into another different workbook? If so....how? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try recoding a macro while doing this manually. And yes it is possible :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "cjh1984 >" <<cjh1984.16x63k@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:cjh1984.16x63k@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hi. > > Is it possible to use VBA in one workbook to copy a worksheet from > another workbook into another different workbook? ...

dynamic cells
Hi! I wonder if somebody could help me with the following problem: I have two columns with cells containing some values B1..B22, C1..C22 everyday I add a new cell e.g. B23 and C23, B24 and C24,... I wonder if I use these cells in a forumla like REGR how to write in order to avoid updating the formula every day? REGR(B1:B22;C1:C22) TIA Anders. Anders, You could create a dynamic named range for each of your ranges. In your example, if you have no data below your list you could: Insert->Name->Define Input the name then in 'Refers To' type =offset (B1,0,0,counta(B:B),1) ...

Query to show empty cells
I am doing a database for addresses and would like to run a query showing the addresses that are empty. What should I put in the criteria to show an empty cell? Try out the query with IsNull as criterion. -- ********* http://panjas.org If the message was helpful to you, click Yes next to Was this post helpful to you? If the post answers your question, click Yes next to Did this post answer the question? "xololady" wrote: > I am doing a database for addresses and would like to run a query showing the > addresses that are empty. What should I put in the criteria to sh...

Combining date and time into one cell
I have the date (m/dd/yy) in one cell and time (hh:mm) in another cell. How can I merge these two in one cell with the format m/dd/yy hh:mm ? Thanks. Date in A1, time in B1, combined in C1: formula is =A1+B1 and format as you describe. On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:03:02 -0800, "Kelly C" <KellyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have the date (m/dd/yy) in one cell and time (hh:mm) in another cell. How >can I merge these two in one cell with the format m/dd/yy hh:mm ? > >Thanks. =TEXT(A1,"m/dd/yy ")&TEXT(B1,"hh:mm") is one way -- HT...

How do I add the same text to numerous existing cells
How do I add the same text to numerous existing cells without having to repeatedly type the text? Ex. adding .gif to XXE1149J, XXE1130J... =A1&".gif" "Wanda_pb" <Wanda_pb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D20A2D9-3BFF-4BA2-A85D-7F5FD229A62A@microsoft.com... > How do I add the same text to numerous existing cells without having to > repeatedly type the text? Ex. adding .gif to XXE1149J, XXE1130J... Thank you, that was very helpful, but I guess I should have mentioned there were "/" also in the text. When I did your sugge...

excel's active cell
how to highlight the active cell with a color each time it moves angelaexceluser, have a look at Chip's addin here for one way to do it, http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "angelaexceluser" <angelaexceluser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:48BB20C8-3DF8-43AB-B913-9CDB2A288748@microsoft.com... > how to highlight the active cell with a color ...

When you click a hyperlink in a cell i get a Warning message
This message is about harmfull files and gives you an OK and CANCEL. Is it at all possable to disable this particualr message because i have a document full of hyperlinks and its getting anoying!!!! Thanks. ...

Changing formula in multiple cells or range simultaneously
I am trying to change the value in multiple cells in a large worksheet simultaneuously. I want to identify the range and then adjust the formula in the entire range. Is there a way that I can highlight the range and then change to formula in each, simultaneously? For example, if I wanted to double the value in the entire range, how would I do this? Thanks, Michael You could put 2 in an empty cell. Copy it Edit|Paste special|click on Multiply under the operation section. Then clear out that 2. But it really depends on what kind of change you're making. If you wanted to ad...

Copying one cell to muliple cells #2
Cell a1 is a date cell. Cells b1-b30 are date cells. What I am trying to do is every time that I enter a new date in Ai, I want it to go to a blank cell in b column and not over write the dates that are already there. A B 2/3/04 1/6/04 1/20/04 1/25/04 2/3/04 right click sheet tab>view code>copy\paste this>format col B as desired date >save. Now when you put a date in a1 such as 8/1, the last cell+1 in col b will get that date. Private Sub Worksheet_...

Cell Formatting to disp. ### numbers
I am trying to format the cells so that it only allows three numbers t be displayed. To be more descriptive: We work with zip codes quite often, but, we only use the first thre digits. Someone sent us a xls file with 12000 zip codes, in one column, and need to know how to make the column show only the first three digits o all the zip codes.. there is another problem, when I convert them to a numeric value, i removes the zero in front...ex. 08245, becomes 8245, but i need to kee that zero in front. Thanks -Eri -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Assuming your zip codes a...

How do I insert a row of blank cells?
I need to know how to insert a row of blank cells every other row in the columns from F to I ONLY!!! I currently have just a straight set of data in those columns like data-data-data-data-data-data. I need to have it alternate data-blankrow-data-blankrow-data-blankrow- as I go down from row to row. I need to do this for about 1000 rows so I need a quick way to do it if there is one. HELP!!! Looks like this: Data Data Data Data I want this: Data Data Data Data Thanks. Chris -open the VB editor -double click the sheet of interest -View from the menu--> Code -Paste the belo...

How can I reset defaults for cell borders? i.e color and/or inte.
I want to be able to modify border colors and intesity for cells in a worksheet. 1-choose the cellsformat/cells 2-choose format/cells 3-click on Border tab 4-choose the line style and color 5-click kind of vorder u want to have. 6-to reset defaults for cell borders, click "none" "mffoster" wrote: > I want to be able to modify border colors and intesity for cells in a > worksheet. ...

copying a cell to another cell automatically
Hi, I'm trying to set up my worksheet so that if the value in column E is changed to 100%, the value in column A of that row automatically changes to 100, regardless of its original value. At the same time, I don't want to lock down column A - the user can enter any value in here when E is not 100%. How do I go about doing this? Do I need to write a macro? Thanks! Amit Hi, You'll have to do this as a little macro. Go into the VB editor and add the following into the relevant Sheet. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Column = 5 And Target = 100...

Cell change on User Click
Is it possible to have a cell change to a default value when a use clicks on it? I have an old sheet I am working on that people put in manual "X" in t select options. Most of the sheet uses these X's to calulate option and such and I would rather not rewrite the entire spread. Any help would be appreciated. Dre -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com hibatt wrote: > *Is it possible to have a cell change to a default value when a use > clicks on it? > > I have an old sheet I am working on that people put in manual "X" i > to select option...

percenatge increase in values across multiple cells
Hi I have a spreadsheet of numerical values and I simply want to increase all values, in all cells, by 17.5%. Can anyone please tell me how to do this? Many thanks David David Type 1.175 in a spare cell and copy it... Highlight your numbers and then edit>paste special...>values+multiply -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England www.nickhodge.co.uk nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "David" <curvedball@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:9audnfgVAp7yfQfZRVnyrA@bt.com... > Hi > > I have a spreadsheet of numerical values and I simp...

format cells depending on value range
Using Excel 2003 and am trying to format cells depending on a range of values e.g. If the value is less than 50.999% then colour the cell red If the value is between 51% and 74.999% then colour the cell orange If the value is more than 75% then colour the cell green I have managed to get the first and third examples to work using conditional formatting (formula is: =B4<0.50999) but can't seem to get it to work if the value is between two specific values. Any help would be appreciated. Maybe =B4<51% for red =AND(B4>=51%,B4<75%) for orange =B4>=75...

get Cell to not display ( $
hi, i have cells that are formatted for accounting and the cell formula contains the SUM feature, when the cells are empty and waiting for a value, they display ($ -) and so i have those symblos everywhere and would like the cell just to be blank and then show up with the dollar sign when a value appears in it. Any ideas? thanks Try this. There might be an easier one, but this is what I use. S 14 5 15 5 =IF(SUM(S14:S18)=0,"",(SUM(S14:S18))) 16 5 17 5 ...

formula does not display the resulting value in the cell
I have a correct formula, but instead of getting the result displayed, I get the formula. Change the format in the cell with the formula to either general or a number, press F2 and enter -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Liliana" <Liliana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8A9327AE-34B3-4BA4-9399-EFE862FDE4CE@microsoft.com... >I have a correct formula, but instead of getting the result displayed, I >get > the formula. Also check Tools>Options>View and make sure that the Formulas box is unchecked. -- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snai...

can't see/print select text in cell
I am a fairly advanced user of Excel and have 2000. I entered 21 lines (2130 characters) of text in a cell and applied Wrap Text to the cell. All but one of the lines is wrapping within the cell. Anyone ever seen this happen before? Sherri Excel allows 32,767 characters in a cell but will show or print only 1024(see Help>Specifications). One workaround is to spread a few ALT + ENTER's at spots. This will increase the amount shown. Don't know how far this will go. Gord Dibben Excel MVP - XL97 SR2 & XL2002 On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:28:58 -0700, "Sherri" <s...