Out of Memory #3

As a spreadsheet grows, I'm beginning to have occasional "Out of Memory"
problems while doing "Paste" operations.  Grumble, grumble....

Digging into the problem a bit, I find the INFO statement tells me that
I have roughly 50MB available to Excel and that most of it is used up.

My question is simply whether there's anything that I can do to increase
that 50MB gross amount before I tinker with how Excel is actually using
it in the spreadsheet?

1) Would it make any difference if I changed from Excel97 to the current
version?  Or does the same 50MB limit exist there still?

2) Or is there anything within my XP operating system I can do to make
it provide more space for Excel's use?

3) The hardware has 724MB of RAM and a huge amount of disk space open so
I presume there is nothing with the hardware that can ease the problem?

Thanks...

Bill
0
wylie836 (251)

Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address) wrote:
> As a spreadsheet grows, I'm beginning to have occasional "Out of Memory"
> problems while doing "Paste" operations.  Grumble, grumble....
>
> Digging into the problem a bit, I find the INFO statement tells me that
> I have roughly 50MB available to Excel and that most of it is used up.
>
> My question is simply whether there's anything that I can do to increase
> that 50MB gross amount before I tinker with how Excel is actually using
> it in the spreadsheet?
>
> 1) Would it make any difference if I changed from Excel97 to the current
> version?  Or does the same 50MB limit exist there still?
>
> 2) Or is there anything within my XP operating system I can do to make
> it provide more space for Excel's use?
>
> 3) The hardware has 724MB of RAM and a huge amount of disk space open so
> I presume there is nothing with the hardware that can ease the problem?
>
> Thanks...
>
> Bill

--------------

Incidentally, tinkering with the INFO("totmem") statement a bit shows
that I have a total of 49.3MB available to Excel and only 1MB left open.

So then I opened another big spreadsheet.  The total memory goes UP to
51MB.  I open a third simultaneous spreadsheet and total memory
available to Excel goes up to 63MB.  There's still only 1MB free, but
apparently "Total Memory" is a fluid concept somehow.

Bill
0
wylie836 (251)
5/31/2005 6:16:05 PM
the only number that works is INFO("Memused")
There is a bug in INFO ("Memavail") it always returns the same number, and
INFO("Totmem") always equals INfo("Memused")+info("totmem") so is also
useless.

for more details on Excel memoru usage etc see

http://www.DecisonModels.com/memlimitsc.htm and associated pages

Charles
______________________
Decision Models
FastExcel 2.1 now available
www.DecisionModels.com

"Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)" <wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net>
wrote in message news:uzeHRzgZFHA.3096@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address) wrote:
>> As a spreadsheet grows, I'm beginning to have occasional "Out of Memory"
>> problems while doing "Paste" operations.  Grumble, grumble....
>>
>> Digging into the problem a bit, I find the INFO statement tells me that I
>> have roughly 50MB available to Excel and that most of it is used up.
>>
>> My question is simply whether there's anything that I can do to increase
>> that 50MB gross amount before I tinker with how Excel is actually using
>> it in the spreadsheet?
>>
>> 1) Would it make any difference if I changed from Excel97 to the current
>> version?  Or does the same 50MB limit exist there still?
>>
>> 2) Or is there anything within my XP operating system I can do to make it
>> provide more space for Excel's use?
>>
>> 3) The hardware has 724MB of RAM and a huge amount of disk space open so
>> I presume there is nothing with the hardware that can ease the problem?
>>
>> Thanks...
>>
>> Bill
>
> --------------
>
> Incidentally, tinkering with the INFO("totmem") statement a bit shows that
> I have a total of 49.3MB available to Excel and only 1MB left open.
>
> So then I opened another big spreadsheet.  The total memory goes UP to
> 51MB.  I open a third simultaneous spreadsheet and total memory available
> to Excel goes up to 63MB.  There's still only 1MB free, but apparently
> "Total Memory" is a fluid concept somehow.
>
> Bill

0
Charles740 (233)
5/31/2005 9:57:52 PM
Charles Williams wrote:
> the only number that works is INFO("Memused")
> There is a bug in INFO ("Memavail") it always returns the same number, and
> INFO("Totmem") always equals INfo("Memused")+info("totmem") so is also
> useless.
>
> for more details on Excel memoru usage etc see
>
> http://www.DecisonModels.com/memlimitsc.htm and associated pages
>

> Charles

------------------------

Thanks Charles -- that explains some things.

It seems a bit slack on Microsoft's part to have such a basic known bug
exist all the way from the '97 version up to 2005.  But then I guess
they don't much care what I think.

Bill
0
wylie836 (251)
6/1/2005 12:03:49 AM
Charles Williams wrote:
> the only number that works is INFO("Memused")
> There is a bug in INFO ("Memavail") it always returns the same number, and
> INFO("Totmem") always equals INfo("Memused")+info("totmem") so is also
> useless.
>
> for more details on Excel memoru usage etc see
>
> http://www.DecisonModels.com/memlimitsc.htm and associated pages
>

> Charles

------------------------

By the way, to anybody following this, the URL given by Charles above is
  apparently mistyped by one letter.  I believe it should be:

	http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimits.htm

Lots of good info there.

Bill
0
wylie836 (251)

Simple question #3
Hi Folks - On my computer I have a folder that contains all my songs and I now want to catalogue these to ease finding etc. etc. Simple question - how can I copy the song titles over to an Excel spreadsheet. I've tried copy/paste etc and paste special but an error message appears stating the file is a 'SYLK file' . I appreciate that Excel will see this file as an MP3 etc and can not place it but all I want is the title ? HELP - I need somebody. I have a 'few' songs and don't want to have to type out every song title myself. Anyone know of an easier way to tran...

excel toolbars #3
make different toolbars for each excel file. You've got one response to your first post. C. Christman wrote: > > make different toolbars for each excel file. -- Dave Peterson ...

[evc++3.0] jpg, dialog, url, ppc
Hi, How can i display at run-time inside a dialog a jpg with its url (for pocket pc) ? No problm through IE for PPC but the result ain't "pro"... Thanks Zak Maybe you can user CPiture class (wrapper arround IPicture), written by Paul Dilascia, it works with JPG, GIFF y BITMAP. Check this link: Displaying a JPG in your MFC Application http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/10/c/ I don't know if CPicture works in evc++ 3.0. -- Rodrigo Corral Gonz´┐Żlez microsoft.public.es.vc FAQ http://vcfaq.europe.webmatrixhosting.net thanks Rodrigo, i've found a way &...

Calculating Tax on 100% Discount (POS V1.3.1006)
Hi everyone. Please check this: On the POS put the Discount (Shift-F3) to 100% for the whole transaction. Enter an item that requests the Price entry at the POS. Enter a price. Watch the Tax at the bottom of the screen. You get a receipt with a Total of 0,00 including a tax of what the regular tax would be if the item wouldn't have a 100% discount. Isn't that a bit weird? Chris try updating to 1.3.1011 and see if its fixed. "Christian Olsen" <ChristianOlsen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14D63EDA-C3B9-46F2-8720-75CA2725D429@microsoft.com... &g...

New Maglite brand 3 Watt Luxeon LED Flashlight 2 D Cell Gray Housing
Price:$26.98 Image: http:///image.php?id=B0012O79KW Best deal: http:///index.php?id=B0012O79KW New Maglite brand 3 Watt LED Flashlight, 2 D Cell, Gray Housing Maglite LED Upgrade module and 2 D cell Maglite flashlight Model No. ST2D096 These 2, 3, and 4 D Cell Maglite flashlights feature the newest MAG LED Upgrade Technology using 3 Watt Luxeon LEDs. The benefits include Intelligent Energy Source Management (patent pending) Extends battery life. Balanced Optics provide a focusing, 3 watt LED, optimized to produce a powerful projecting beam. The Maglite LED Upgrade Modules are also avail...

CWinThread and Memory Leaks.
I want to have a simple progress bar displayed whilst my MFC application is doing a lengthy operation. To do this, I am creating a user interface thread which displays a dialog containing a progress bar control. This is implemented using two classes: class CProgressDlg : public CDialog class CProgressThread : public CWinThread The CProgressThread class has a member variable: CProgressDlg m_Dlg; At the start of the lengthy operation I create a new instance of CProgressThread, and set the m_bAutoDelete member TRUE before calling CProgressThread::CreateThread(); In CProgressThread::InitInst...

outlook (2000, XP or 2003) uses all memory on PC
Hi everyone After an Windows update for 2 weeks ago, my clients outlook2000 stated to behave stange. actually it haven't been able to start up since. (windowsXP) Outlook uses all memory 384mb ( plus virtual memory approx 1,5 GIGA), until all resources are gone i have tried to reinstall outlook/office 2000, upgradet to office XP, upgraded to outlook 2003 deleted pst files, profiles, manual clean up in regedit for outlook profiles, setting up new profiles but nothing works. i can start outlook up in safe mode, and then outlook works, but that is not a stable solution (outlook express wo...

Changing the MSCRM 3.0 title
Is there anyway to change the title "Microsoft CRM 3.0" in the CRM system? My boss is interested in branding this application with our company name, rather than the Microsoft name. Thanks in advance! -Erik It looks like the text is stored in resource files, making it (almost) impossible to change. -- Michael http://www.stunnware.com/crm ---------------------------------------------------------- <ealmquist@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1149799652.442526.218110@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Is there anyway to change the title "Microsoft CRM 3.0"...

3M SandBlaster 423-120 Flexible Sanding Pad, 3.7 x 9.25-Inch, 120-Grit, Rectangle, 2-Sheet
Price:$7.30 Image: http://discountadvisors.info/image.php?id=B000GLHW3Q Best deal: http://discountadvisors.info/index.php?id=B000GLHW3Q Sandblaster, 2 Pack, 120G 3.7" x 9" Large Flexible Abrasives Detailed Sandpaper, Lasts 10 Times Longer Than Normal Sandpaper, Extreme Durability, Ultimate Comfort, Sandpaper Can Also Be Used On Detailed Flexible Abrasives Tool True Value #630-485. SIMILAR PRODUCTS: 3M SandBlaster 423-180 Flexible Sanding Pad, 3.7 x 9.25-Inch, 180-Grit, Rectangle, 2-Sheet:http://discountadvisors.info/index.php?id=B000GLE1OO 3M SandBlaster 413-220 Flexib...

Can Ingenico 6550 work with rms V1.3
I have a Ingenico 6550 signature capture device. When i sign on the device, it didn't capture the name. The display and the card capture worked, only the signature part doesn't work. I set the device name and everything, it loaded the form, and the tab for the signature on the pos poped up. I use the form designer to test the capture device it worked. The signature show on the form designer. I don't know what could go wrong. Could anyone help!!! I'm not entirely sure if the 6550 will work with rms 1.3. Do you want the signature to print out on the receipt? My co...

CRM 3.0 Desktop Client Install and SBS Monitoring Error
I am working on the client installs for CRM SB on SBS 2003. Despite helpful assistance from this NG I have reached the point of calling Microsoft on one of my notebook installs. Before calling them, I thought I should attempt to get as many client installs completed as possible then look to get all my unresolved issues answered simulataneously. To date, I have 2 notebook installs complete and working and the 1 notebook install that is awaiting my MS call. In SBS, all but the users have been setup using the Power User template except my own, which used the Administrator template. To red...

Outlook has encountered a problem #3
I use Outlook 2000 with a MAPI driver for Samsung contact. The application and MAPI have been working fine, until a colleague suggested I patch Office with office 2000 sp3. since then outlook loads, I see the Intray and then it comes up with a box saying 'Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.' Error signature 'AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 9.0.0.6604 ModName: outllib.dll ModVer: 9.0.0.6627 Offset: 0014afd2' I've reinstalled outlook and the mapi and still the same result. Someone mentioned that this p...

CRM 3.0 - Vista
We have recently upgraded to MS Vista. We now find that title bars of CRM windows display the full url, making navigation extremely cumbersome. any ideas? And any other CRM/Vista problems we should be aware of? HI, If I understand your problem correctly, it is because of IE7 tabs. you can change the tabs behavior by going to tools -> Internet options -> general . under tabs, click settings. and change the option of "when a pop up is encountered" to "always open pop ups in new window". this will enforce IE to open CRM in a new window, and then it should open with no ...

Report #3
I need to create a items transfer report from inverntory account to other accounts. So what tables and field are required. Any help in this regard will be appricated. Thanks Try the table IV30300 where DOCTYPE = 3 Inventory accounts fields of interest are IVIVINDX and IVIVOFIX The lookup table GL00100 can be used to find the account index descriptions -- Regards Andrew Dean Envisage Software Solutions Pty. Ltd. www.envisagesoftware.com.au (Automate eConnect batch posting with "Post Master") "Deepwater" wrote: > I need to create a items transfer report from inve...

Formulas to run offline in 3.0?
Hi CRM Pros I have a prospective 3.0 customer. Basically they have a not too complex Excel sheet, that they would like to replace with CRM functionalty instead, in order to run it offline with automatic sync to the CRM server. I know that I can customize CRM 3.0 with extra fields on the oppertunity entity and with custom exchange rate and freight rate tables. But what are the possibilities in 3.0 of creating calculations to run automatically, e.g., tallying the sum of some of the custom fields, or for multiplying some of them together with the exhange rate from a separate table? These calcula...

NDR's #3
I'm receiving NDR's back from remote domains. These messages have attachments that are being blocked at my gateway by my AV software. But the message is in response to a message coming from my Exchange 2003 postmaster account. I look at the Exchange System Manager and it contains no record of these message being sent to these domains. Is my address being spoofed? If my mail server was sending these messages, wouldn't they be logged as outgoing? The AV gateway is blocking the virus w32.sober.x virus. The NDR's aren't actually in response to anything. Fake NDR's...

Memory leakage !!
I have placed MS comm control on Test dialog, While initiate the dialog it is occupying around 2MB space, I am unable to free this space. I am giving the snippets of the code. MSComm m_ctlComm; m_ctlComm.SetCommPort(1); m_ctlComm.SetInBufferSize(1024); m_ctlComm.SetOutBufferSize(512); m_ctlComm.SetSettings("9600,n,8,1"); m_ctlComm.SetInputMode(1);//0 - Text and 1 - Binary. m_ctlComm.SetRThreshold(0);// To Raise OnCommEvent() method. m_ctlComm.SetSThreshold(0); try { m_ctlComm.SetPortOpen(TRUE); } catch(CException* e) { AfxMessageBox("Port is already open. ",M...

Find #3
Hi I think this is a mid find function but can't quite work it out. I have a list of names eg John Smith in a cell I want to list the surnames only. Hope you can help Thanks Shona Hi It is a mid function - you're right! Try: =MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,99) -- Andy. "Shona" <Student.13@uk.bosch.com> wrote in message news:c5o5ko$c8l$1@ns1.fe.internet.bosch.com... > Hi > > I think this is a mid find function but can't quite work it out. > > I have a list of names eg John Smith in a cell I want to list the surnames > only. > > Ho...

Preventing memory and resource leaks with GDI Objects ???
I am have built a general purpose bitmap/image handling class and want to add TextOut() capability to this class. To do this I must convert some of my GDI local function variables into GDI object member variables. This means that I must be able to re-use several GDI objects, instead of constructing them and destroying them after a single use. What issues are raised with resource and memory leaks by using CDC and CBitmap objects? How are these issues mitigated? You will have to manage the resources somehow and someplace, but I don't think it matters how or where. ...

Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.3.7 Update posted
August 14, 2007 Microsoft's Macintosh Business Unit (MacBU) today released Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.3.7 Update. "This update fixes a vulnerability that an attacker can use to overwrite the contents of your computer's memory with malicious code. For more information about this update, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article (KB940763)." Before you install this update, make sure that the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.3.6 Update is installed on your computer. To get the latest announcements, subscribe to the Entourage Help Blog. <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/...

Max Memory set to 0, cannot connect to Instance
Hello All I wanted to change the min and max memory limit in SQL Server 2005, did it a bit too quick and unfortunately typed 0 for min and also 0 for max, because some keys aren't working well on my keyboard. So now I cannot connect to the instance when using sqlcmd or SQL Server Management Studio. I'm getting the error: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine). (Microsoft SQL Server, Error...

Cell Validation #3
I'm working on a sheet that needs some validation. For example, in cell C4 they are supposed to enter their initials, but some enter their full name. I need to make sure that they enter (for example) ABC instead of Alex Billy Charlie. Then, they are supposed to enter the week ending date in cell K4. I'm wanting to add a calendar there, so they can select the date. However, I only want my calendar to show week ending Saturdays, or make it so when they select any day in that week, it selects that weeks Saturday. Then, when they enter the date, it will automatically fill in information...

request for v.3.0
Hello, if you changes owner in a parent record, owner changes automaticaly for all child records (except of activities). In the case of ACCOUNTS it would be nice, if the user can decide in a dialog window, which child ACCOUNTs should change the owner also and which don´t change. -- Ivana ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft We...

reference memory error when printing excel file
When I try to print any kind of excel file I am getting an error message ststing 0x77f853b reference memory error 0x001de4b8 memory could not be read.. This is new to me, I have used excell for a long time and haven't run into this problem until now.... Can anyone shed some light on why this might be happening?...... I am running XP and Excel 2000 ...

Question #3
Hello, Anyone point me in the direction as to where I can find help on the question below? What two parts combine to make up the serialization of application objects in Visual C++. I thought it was DECLARE_SERIAL and IMPLEMENT_SERIAL, I've been told that's not correct. Any help appreciated. "confusedinc" <confusedinc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD87627B-82A0-41DA-BE9E-579C5BCBB619@microsoft.com... > Hello, > Anyone point me in the direction as to where I can find help on the > question > below? > > What two parts combine t...