Options when opening a CSV file

I am creating a Comma Separated File (.csv) from a commercial reportin
package (Actuate).  When I click on the resulting .csv file, MS Exce
opens and the file is read fine, but every column is defaulted to
common and narrow width of 8.43.

Does anyone know a way to have MS Excel open a .csv file or an .xl
file for the first time and have the widths expanded automatically t
"Best Possible Fit"?

Thanks,
We

--
wmcafe
wmcafee's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1682

Hi
not without using VBA

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16820
> View this thread:

frank.kabel (11126)
11/24/2004 4:43:46 PM
And if you decide to use a macro approach, you may want to rename your .csv file
to .txt.

Then you could record a macro when you open that .txt file.  Do all the
formatting, print layout, headers, filters, subtotals-whatever else you need.

Then whenever you need to do it again, just run that macro.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Here is fix for Windows file problems

Fax Icon on my File menu and toolbar

Outlook 2000 not opening.

Outlook receiving zip files

unable to read file #7

SBS 2003 moving of users files

Importing AOL Email File Cabinet

Exporting contacts in a csv file

Publisher can not save file

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files

Opening Multiple Web Links in a Column

Numbering in Book Files
I am creating a tech manual where each chapter is its own file. I have created an outline numbered list and saved the list in a template that I then use to create the new chapters. However, I am finding that when I go into a new chapter that the outline numbering does not pick up on the chapter (Heading 1) number. For example: Chapter 1: Heading 1 style 1.1: Heading 2 style 1.1.1: Heading 3 style, etc. But when I start my next chapter, when I update the chapter number to start at 2, I get this: Chapter 2: Heading 1 style 1.1: Heading 2 style 1.1.1: Heading 3 style, etc. ...

Continuing problmes with chkdsk and PST file
My PST file is apparently corrupted, with "Data error, cyclic redundancy check" upon starting Outlook. As per earlier advice, i ran chkdsk /r. But, chkdsk hangs. The % done on phase 4, file data check, was moving along at 1% per every 1 to 5 minutes. Then, at exactly 50%, it just stopped moving. I left it for a few hours, but no further progress (so i interrupted it). The disk light was on continually, but no progress in % complete. Also, if scanpst.exe is run, windows crashes (blue screen). So, are there any further suggestions? Is there any disk utility more robust t...

Cannot Drag Open Desktop Screen
Hi: I have a friend running XP MCE (2005) SP3 and he cannot drag an open screen on his desktop by Left clicking and holding cursor on the top of screen. Any suggestions as to how to remedy this problem of not being able to drag a screen will be appreciated Thanks, ColTom2. On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 16:48:43 -0400, "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@nomail.com> wrote: >Hi: > > I have a friend running XP MCE (2005) SP3 and he cannot drag an open >screen on his desktop by Left clicking and holding cursor on the top of >screen. > > A...

Restoring Outlook Files
hi, I need to move the actual inbox, etc. from one hard drive to another. Which files do I look for? I had Outlook configured as an IMAP client. I keep looking for a master "inbox" or "mailbox" file, but am unable to find it. thanks for the help! rt brown Look here for all the information you need on backup and restoration of Outlook data: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:02b50...