Opening XLS files from within explorer

We have a problem on one users machine that when they
doubleclick on an xls file in explorer or on their desktop
the file fails to open. The error messages show that the
opening is not reading the full file name  - basicaly it
is not handling spaces in the file name. If you go in and
delete the spaces by remaming the file it all works fine.

Anyone got any ideas??

Please
0
anonymous (74722)

Not sure... sounds like Windoze issue?

Just a thought... try creating a shortcut to the file, making sure th
shortcut name has no spaces, and see if that works

How about going into excel Tools Options General and unchecking Ignore other
Applications

"maxhugen >" <<maxhugen.17hkfh@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
: Not sure... sounds like Windoze issue?
:
: Just a thought... try creating a shortcut to the file, making sure the
: shortcut name has no spaces, and see if that works?
:
:
: ---
: Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/
:

0
nospam202 (664)
6/7/2004 3:42:42 PM
Sometimes one of these works:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

wrote in message
>: Not sure... sounds like Windoze issue?
>:
>: Just a thought... try creating a shortcut to the file,
making sure the
>: shortcut name has no spaces, and see if that works?
>:
>:
>: ---
>: Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/
>:
>

>.

0
anonymous (74722)

New HDD old files?
I have just installed a new hard drive. I reinstalled Office 2003 on the new drive and configured my e-mail. Now I have put the old drive in as a "slave" to my new hard drive. I am trying to get my e-mail and contacts from my old installation on the old drive. I have had no luck so far. I was not able to create backups before I put the new drive. Computer power supply crash issue. So how can I access the old files on the old hard drive? Thanks for any and all help Keith in Las Vegas You will probably have to 'take ownership' see win help. then simply open your old...

type of file to automatically open security feature
OL 2002 SP3 Win XP HE Hi, I seem to have accidentally clicked on "Open Automatically" for Word (.doc) files sent as attachments. I'd like to set it back so that it always asks whether I really want to open it or not. How do I recover the feature for Word (.doc) files? Thanks. stef <stef.bm@hotmail.removethis.com> wrote: > OL 2002 SP3 > Win XP HE > > Hi, > I seem to have accidentally clicked on "Open Automatically" for Word > (.doc) files sent as attachments. > > I'd like to set it back so that it always asks whether I really wan...

Using Visual Studio 2008 as the HTML Editor in Internet Explorer 8
I have Visual Studio 2008 and Internet Explorer 8 installed on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. In Internet Explorer 8 on the Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs -> HTML Editor dropdown list, the only programs listed are Microsoft Office Excel, Microsoft Office Word, and Notepad. Anybody who knows what Visual Studio 2008 is knows that one of the file types it can be used to edit is *.html files. It's even Microsoft software, and the version of Office that I have installed is 2003, so you would think that if Office 2003 is willing to add itself to the choices, software wh...

Excel file association
Hi, I am still unable to open the file from explorer/shortcut after trying these (by the way - thanks) ================================================== Mj wrote: > > unable to open xls file from shortcut or explorer > > will only open from withing excel > > I have changed the options / general / ignore other apps > > still the same issue > > thanks in advance ========================================================== Sometimes one of these works: Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Butt...

Rename files to match date stamp
Can someone tell if its possible to replace the basename of a number of .jpg files in specified folder to match their date stamp? file.DateCreated can see that date, but how can I actually rename the files? Thanks! "Oleg" <Oleg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F7853854-F72F-4EB3-8899-E6D670BE6545@microsoft.com... > Can someone tell if its possible to replace the basename of a number of > .jpg > files in specified folder to match their date stamp? file.DateCreated can > see > that date, but how can I actually rename the files? ...

Outlook not opening links
since formatting my drive I can't get any links i get emailed to me open,they will only open if explorer is already open thanx for any suggestions ...

Excel 2003 / Windows Explorer (XP) sort order differs
In Excel 2003, mpeg2_MP@H1440_1280x720p_29.97fps_CBR_40Mbs_openGOP_zzscan.mpv comes before mpeg2_MP@H1440_720x576i_25fps_CBR_45Mbs_closedGOP_alternatescan_LFF.mpv In XP's Windows Explorer and also using DIR/ON in a command prompt shell window, the sort order is reversed. How do I reconcile the two so they sort in the same order? Thank you kindly. Try this group instead http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc&cat=en_US_34a4dcef-6aac-414e-9881-2ba33de8be2f&lang=en&cr=US "John Bartley K7AAY" wrote: > I...

attaching files in Outloook
I have used Outlook for ages. For some reason it has become a hit or a miss whether files that I attach are sent or not. If they don't go - and I don't know until the recipient says "nothing there". They sometimes go on the first re-send, sometimes not! Forwarding teh original mail does not work - it needs to be a new task. Any suggestions about what I could do to cure the problem? Erica ...

TMP FILE TYPE!!!!!! MS SUX
When I run reports and then EXPORT and use the EMAIL option the file is placed in outlook express as a TMP file type instead of HTML, CSV or TXT. When I receive the email Outlook says that "Outlook blocked access...." Upon further research TMP is a permanently blocked file type and cannot be changed! Nice collaboration effort Micro$oft! Is there a way to change the export file type extenstion to the CORRECT extension(s). You'd assume if you want to send a CSV file that RMS would create a filename.csv but instead you get a Q??##.TMP. Anyone? Any help? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARR...

Internet Explorer 8 Suggestions
1) Make each new tab opened a different color all the time, not just when the tabs are grouped. 2) Allow multipule "ctrl+left click" selection in "Organize Favorites" area. Much easier to move multiple items to a new folder when you can select several bookmarks at once. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Micr...

Question on saving a file.
Can you save a file in the same filename and still retain the earlier revisions? Someone accidently overwrote a file and should have kept the earler versions.Is there something in Excel that I can turn on so my main filename only changes with an extension, therefore keeping all my earlier revisions? i.e. 'filenameX'.xls1 'filenameX'.xls2 so everytime I save it to 'filenameX', Excel is adding a new revision number automatically so I don't loose revisions or accidentily wipe out good data. Help! Not that I am aware of. If you want to keep earlier ...

dialer pops up when I open Office apps.
When I am off-line and open an Office application such as Word or Excel the Dialer pops up wanting to connect. How do I stop this? ...

Demo Money file?
Does anyone have a demo money file I can use to show my friend how account balance sheets and stuff look, and what features are in it, without having to show my fanancia information and stuff? In microsoft.public.money, mmm, Pie wrote: >Does anyone have a demo money file I can use to show my friend how account >balance sheets and stuff look, and what features are in it, without having >to show my fanancia information and stuff? > Find sample.mny on your system. It would be in the Program Files. You can use Start->Find to find it. Double-click after the find, and that should...

Opening old files
I am unable to open some old excel spreadsheets. They are now show a a QPW file type. What is this and what can I do about it. Thanks You can't convert them unless there is a conversion program around (commercial probably, the only other way I can think of would be to use Quattro Pro to open them (that's where they came from) and then save in a format that Excel can open (xls maybe) -- For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup. Regards, Peo Sjoblom "roger@biorecycle.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:118...

OL 2003 .nk2 file clears on reboot
We have a client machine whose NK2 file is cleared on reboot. We have tried creating deleting the nk2 file to have OL create a new one, created a new OL profile with no luck. When we copied another users nk2 file to his directory and renamed it to his profile the data is picked up, but no new address are stored. outlook writes to the file when it closes - so it seems outlook is not closing correctly. is there a pda or an application using outlook data? if so, close it first. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? h...

open word file
Hi i would like to open word file using getopenfilename by using excel macro and copy the data to excel file. Sub test() Dim appWD As Word.Application Dim appWDS As Word.Document Set appWD = CreateObject("Word.Application.8") appWD.Visible = True filetoopen = Word.Application.GetOpenFilename("All Files (*.*),*.*") Workbooks.Open filetoopen end sub Here you go. This works. It's not exactly like your code, but you get the idea. The "text to be pasted" should be replaced with text from your Excel file. Let me know if you need help getting...

Corruption of Access File
Hi I think that since my client and myself don't have the same version of Access the file gets corrupted when I get the latest version from my client (they have Access 2000 and I have Access 2003) What can be done? Thank you, Samuel Perform this sequence when you get the updated file: Compact | Decompile | Compact | Compact | Compile To compact: Tools | Database Utilities | Compact/Repair To decompile, enter something like this at the command prompt while Access is not running. It is all one line, and include the quotes: "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\offic...

Open File IF Not Opened
Goodmorning! I was looking for someone who could tell me how I could make a Macro Appliction open files only when there not opened. When a file is allready opened it should be left at alone. When a file is being opened, this file should be granted the opportunity to update it's pivot tables and carry out any external links. I hope someone has the answer! Thanks in advance! Here's some code that might help. It tests whether a file is open: if it is it activates it, otherwise it opens the file. If IsWindowOpen(lStr_FileName) Then Windows(lStr_FileName).Activate ...

Easier ways to selectively open a .wks as read-only...
Excel has a way via its internal file-open mechanism any worksheet as read only. This is great if you want to prevent damage to a sheet (yours or god forbid somebody elses). If you're a pathological user of Autosave like I am (to wit my related post on Autosave), you'll know how good an idea this can be. I know there are some freeware alternatives to Autosave (Autosafe, for example) but as a corporate user, I can't really use/install freeware. So I'm wondering: is there an *EASIER* way to allow me to open a .wks as read-only? Going through Excel's open command is kind ...

Import Ascii file into Excel
Hi, I am having a problem importing an ASCII file into Excel. It will come in as text, but I need it to be in chart format. May actual go is for the data to be in a Word 2000 Mail Merge format. I know I have done this before, but I am having NO luck...and of course I need this for a 9:30 AM CT meeting! Thank you If your problem is not that your numeric data is importing as text and therefore plots as zero when you try to make a plot, then please be more specific. To convert text "numbers" to numeric, - format a blank cell as General - enter 1 in that cell - copy that cell ...

How do I import large data files?
When I try to import a data file with more rows than Excel, the text box says I can import the rest by re-importing the file and excluding the lines already imported. The Import Wizard doesn't seem to give me this option... suggestions? Hi Russell Maybe http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q120596 XL: Importing Text Files Larger Than ???? Rows -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Russell Seguin" <Russell Seguin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:184036AB-8922-4EAA-85B6-05FAB3E577F5@microsoft.com... > When I try to...

Outlook sluggish
My customer complained that Outlook 2003 is slow to respond on his new (much faster) laptop. Other applications respond ok, but there are unacceptable delays typing into a mail message, or doing anything in Outlook. His PST file is a little over 300Mb (down from 600Mb after scolding from me). The "performance" view in Process Explorer (sysinternals.com) looks like this: http://philipherlihy.members.beeb.net/Procexp-Outlook.gif Note the very regular bursts of disk activity, accompanied by peaks in CPU. I've attempted to examine disk activity further in Process Monitor ...

files don't open
I can't open any files in Office. I can't save them in save as. I have re-installed Office Professional 2003, still have this problem. Excel and word files can't save or open from file folder. EC There was a security update released this weekend with an issue with certain vendors software being registered with it. (The update was MS06-015) The detail of how to deal with it is here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165 -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England www.nickhodge.co.uk nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "EC" <EC@discussion...

Mail delivery issue within same info stor
On Exchange 5.5, we use the same server with one information store. We are a site within an Exchange organization There are times when messages have been sent from within our site, one info store, that get to some of our users but not others. They aren't using a DL to send. I have tried to track the message on our server by putting th message id in there, but it can't seem to pull it up.. Somewhat stumped by this... ...

Outlook 2000 Attachment file associations
I have searched expecting to find this problem resolved but maybe my search technique is not so hot. Anyway I have very recently re-installed Office 2000 & now I can't open even simple ".jpg" attachments sent via email in Outlook 2000 . I get a message saying there is no file association & I should create one by double clicking on "My Computer" on my Desktop etc ................ The problem is I do not have a "MY Computer" icon on my desktop, or start menu options. I expected to be able to follow the instructions by double clicking on My Copmuter in E...