Opening .prn files in XL2000

I am using a software that does not save data/reports in .csv or .xls
formats; only in printed versions.  Is there a way to save the printed
report in a file and open the file in XL2000?  If there is, how is the print
file produced, where is it saved, etc?  A friend suggested setting up a
generic printer but didn't know how to go about it.

0
mfinger (1)

You may want to give that other software just one more chance--look under File
and see if there is a SaveAs option.  You may find something upon further
review.

But if you want to add a generic printer, I think it'll depend on your version
of windows.

In Win98, I'd do:

Windows start button|settings|printers
Then doubleclick on Add Printer

Then I'd follow the wizard.
After win98, builds the list of printers, I could scroll down the manufacturer's
listbox and select Generic.

The other listbox (named printers) showed only one for me--Generic/Text only.

After a couple of more steps of the wizard, I was prompted for what port I want
assigned.  I didn't really want a port, so I chose "File:   Creates a file on
disk"

Then finish up the wizard.

Now when you print to that printer, you'll be prompted for a file name and
location.  You can specify anywhere you want--but remember where you put it.

After you're done installing, it's back to your other software to test it out.

And after you're done testing, open up that new print file in Notepad to see if
it looks ok.  It may wrap at a very bad spot which would mean opening it in
Excel would be a problem.

But if it looks nice, just open excel and do a File|open, you'll be prompted
with the text to columns wizard and you can parse your input records that way.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Too Slow to Open O.E.6
Hi: Opening I.E. is in normal speed, however when clicking O.E. 6 at the top of Icon of O.E.6, it's SO slow and very sluggish to open, .... even after making a cup of coffee in the kitchen, it's still NOT opening-up. It takes more than one or even two minutes to open. Prior to this, O.E.6 opens instantamaneously, within 40 seconds or so upon clicking O.E. 6 icon at the top of the screen. Any clues on this would be truly appreciated. Thank "Spring10" <Spring10@comcast.net> said this in news item news:#6U0UV4kKHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl......

backing up files
Does anyone know if it is possible to back up my money files to a CD RW disc. Please e-mail an answer to me. Why should I email you an answer when the answer to this question has already been posted three or four times already this week? Please read the posts. "John Koegel" <bigjohn1016@mns.com> wrote in message news:044501c348bf$62e760b0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know if it is possible to back up my money > files to a CD RW disc. Please e-mail an answer to me. ...

PDF file #7

No date fields appear when exporting/importing CSV file?
Hello All, I need to convert some legacy emails from another system to a format that can be read by Outlook. The preferred format is CSV text, which we plan to import into Outlook. I noticed when playing with the export/import that the following seem to be the standard fields that get exported into an Outlook generated CSV file: "Subject", "Body (text)", "From: (Name)", "From: (Address)", "From: (Type)", "To:(Name)", "To: (Address)", "To: (Type)", "CC: (Name)", "CC: (Address)", "CC: (...

Opening Links from Outlook 2007
Some time ago, opening a link from an email message in OL2007 stopped working. What will work is if IE8 is closed, then the first link will open IE and the correct link. Any clicks on other links does nothing. Any ideas. P.S. It all works fine in Mozilla. Is firefox the default browser? Go into IE's Tools, Folder options and reset web settings - confirm its working then set FF as default, if desired. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: d...

Exchange/Outlook 2003
In an effort to make sure we never reach the 16GB threshold for the SBS 2003 Exchange Info Store, I'm looking to setup a GPO to give everyone consistent AutoArchive settings as well as a common location for the PST file. I have already downloaded the Office Administrative Templates for Outlook 2003, so I already have found the settings I want to modify and have made the changes, I just haven't made them live on the domain yet. My thoughts to date: * create two GPOs, one for the PST location, one for the autoarchive settings themselves * set PST location to local drive, or common netw...

How do I list more opened Word docs under the File menu
Word 2003 displays the last 4 Word files opened on clicking the File menu. I would like to increase this to about 20. Can this be done, and if so, how? In Word 2003, the maximum number that can be shown is 9 and it can be set via Tools>Options>General -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "Wellington" <Wellington@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9B8C9D4-4F78-4A92-94C6-8DC0D41388...

Mass completing of open activities
We just went live on MS CRM after doing account, contact and activity migration. The activites were migrated as either open or complete. In turns out that all of the activities should have been completed. Is there a way to do a mass (system wide) complete on these open activities? Garet, You could try doing this by updating the ActivityBase tbale directly. I would test it first though to make sure it doen't have any unforseen side effects. Matt "Garet Wicker" <garet.wicker@creativecarton.com> wrote in message news:079201c381ec$15af49a0$3101280a@phx.gbl... We jus...

data error while opening files
when i open excel or word existing file i getting contents as "DATAError [47 0F 94 93 F4 K5]" instead of my saved data. pls help me solving. My all word & excel files are have same problem. ...

Cannot open Publisher File
I'm using Publisher 2003 and have a 100 MB (66 MB Compressed) publisher file that consitently hangs up publisher when trying to open it. Once in a while, the first page will load, but when you try to switch to another page, the program hangs up again. I've tried several PCs to open the file with including a P4 file server with 2 GB of RAM. nothing seems to make a difference. I can tell through the Task Manager that the app is doing some sort of processor work, but no disk access is being performed. I tried opening the file in Safe Mode and it make some slight improvements w...

integrate my vendor/supplier files from RMS and SBF into Outlook
I want to be able to see my vendor/supplier the same info in outlook, RMS and SBF I hate having to rekey the same information over and over. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-...

Publisher 2007 not opening saved projects.......
I have Publisher 2007, and I was wanting to open a previous project that I had done before, and it wouldn't work and it would say "Microsoft Office 2007 has stopped working. Click to find online solutions or click to close." It doesn'y do that with any other of the Microsoft Products. Can anyone help? Did you try Office Diagnostics in the Help menu? Did you "click" for online solutions? Can you open other Publisher files? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C158393B-46...

Lost File #2
I have accidently saved over a publisher file and lost all my work. I am aware that I have temp files that may have the data in it but I cannot access any of them. I get an error message saying it is locked or in use by another person but they are not. Can anyone help >-----Original Message----- >I have accidently saved over a publisher file and lost all my work. I am >aware that I have temp files that may have the data in it but I cannot access >any of them. I get an error message saying it is locked or in use by another >person but they are not. > >Can anyon...

Parsing a space delimited file into segments
I have a space delimited file that contains address information. Is there a way to parse each record so that I parse the records into specific portions (Company Name is field 1, Street Address is field 2, etc.)? Using the space as a delimiter doesn't help in this instance because every word is obviously separated by a space. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks. hi, you could use the fixed width option but unless all of the data is the same width that could cause a serious problem. i don't know how much data you have but you may have to do it in groups or 1 line a...

3 pst files
I want to have 3 pst files on my Outlook 2003 setup. Is this possible? I have the pst file that I work now and 2 others which are pst files from an old laptop which I want just to be there as separate. How can I do it and shall I do Import or is there any other way. thanks Virginia Don't use the import feature. Simply reconnect the pst-files via; File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... You can place the pst-file in a location that is convenient to you. For instance in a sub folder of your My Documents folder called "Outlook". -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Out...

Can't open any .exe files
If I click on any programs it pops up and tells me that there is no association. I know how to association a file extension normally. If I click on Excel it gives me the error. Yet if I click on an Excel file then it will open the file. If I click on Notepad gives me the association error yet again if I click on a file saved in Notepad it opens that file. I tried to run System Restore but I get the same error. The exact error message is : This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this Acton. Create an association in the Folder Options control Pane...

unknown cab file required
I just installed Project 2003 and immediately ran the update routine. Office Update tells me that it has SP1 for Project and some new junk mail filters for Outlook 2003. I tell it to download both patches. Download proceeds with no problem. Installation tells me that it cannot find a file called SKU111.CAB. I search all local hard disks - no file. I search the Project disk - no file. I search the Office 2003 disk - no file. I even searched the Publisher 2003 disk (which is not installed). I can account for an SKU13B and an SKU119, but no SKU111. I search all of Microsoft.com - nothing e...

opening e-mail with attachments
Office 2003 Professional. All updates current. I can NOT open any e-mail with an attachment of any kind. All other e-mails work flawlessly. As soon as i click on an e-mail with ANY kind of attachment, it locks up. I have to close the program and restart. It will NOT open any e-mail with an attachment. THANKS in advance!!! To add, I just crashed again, and this time was given the option to open in safe mode. I did, and I am able to open attachments. Mailbox size is 92970kb. At a complete loss to why this is happening. I ran windows install cleanup, and reinstalled office. no luck Ag...

error opening excel file
hi! i cannot open this excel file, an microsoft visual basic window appear saying "An error occur while loading 'Sheet32111111111111111111111111'. Do you want to continue loading the project?" i click yes, microsoft window appear and asking if i want to update this workbook? then i click no a Program Error window appear saying " An error log is being created" what happen to the excel file? the excel file is only 2.6Mb There is a bug in xl97 (fixed in xl2k, IIRC) that allowed worksheet codenames to get too long. I _think_ that newer versions of excel will open...

Can't open pdf files in windows mail.
Every time I try to open a PDF file in windows mail it says I don't have a program associated with it to open it. It says to set a default program with it. I have adobe reader associated with it in default programs, so I don't know why it won't open it. What operating system? i.e.: XP/SP3 etc. Windows Mail, or Windows Live Mail? -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP Outlook Express Imperial Beach, CA "Dutchy" <Dutchy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5BC3362D-015D-498A-90AD-FE4AD10D0962@microsoft.com... > Every ti...

how to open a password protected powerpoint file by Excel
how to open a password protected powerpoint file by Excel macro? by the way,the cipher is known. Thanks in advance, Juwen Check your previous post.. -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "juwen" wrote: > > how to open a password protected powerpoint file by Excel > macro? by the way,the cipher is known. > > Thanks in advance, > Juwen ...

PDF file #3

Array Bounds Write Errors on Recordset Open
When I'm running my application through Purify I keep getting "Array Bounds Write Errors". For example, when I execute the following code: CRecordset recSet(m_pDatabase); recSet.Open(CRecorset::forwardOnly, _T("SELECT hos_title from hosmas")); Purify reports the following: ABW: Array bounds write in MultiByteToWideChar Writing 120 bytes to 0x022850e0 (56 bytes at 0x02285120 illegal) CRecordset::PrepareAndExecute(void) [dbcore.cpp:2421] else { AFX_ODBC_CALL(::SQLPrepare(m_hstmt, (UCHAR*)lpszWSQL, SQL_NTS)); } This happens on EVERY database transaction that ...

2 accounts & 2 PST files
Hello everyone I'm using Outlook 2003 and I have 2 accounts for which I would like Outlook to be able to delivers new e-mails in each respective data file I mean for account "A" new mail will be delivered in A.pst and for account "B" in B.pst PS: I would prefers to use only one profile and not two Thanks & Regards You'll need two profiles if you want this setup. Delivery location is set per profile, not per mail account. NATT wrote: > Hello everyone, > > I'm using Outlook 2003 and I have 2 accounts for which I would like > Outlook to be abl...

Archiving doesn't reduce PST file size
(Under W98SE, running O2K SR-1 with SP3 applied.) I really want to reduce the size of my PST file. In Outlook, I created a new personal folders file and named it "My Archive". From my main personal folders file, I then selected certain folders and messages - altogether, 57 MB - which I want to archive. I moved these into the "My Archive" folders file. In Outlook, looking at properties, I see these results after archiving: Main PST file: Total size (Fld + SubFld): 150489K "My Archive" file: Total size (Fld + SubFld): 56397K In Windows explorer, I s...