Opening Excel Workbooks

I'm running into an issue where if I click on an Excel
file through My Documents, it doesn't automatically bring
it up.

I get the toolbar but the actual spreadsheet doesn't
appear on the screen.  I have to click on the taskbar to
get it to pop up.

If I already have Excel active and I open a file through
Excel, this doesn't happen.

Any ideas?
0
anonymous (74722)

Here is a similar thread:

http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=237195

Rolli

Hi,

Take a look at Tools-Options-General tab- uncheck ignore
other applications??

jeff

0
anonymous (74722)
7/15/2004 6:30:08 PM
Thank you!

0
anonymous (74722)

saved axcel spreadsheets not opening
When I double click to open a saves excel spreadsheet, excel opens but the saved spreadsheet does not. I have to 'drag and drop' the saved spreadsheet onto the excel desktop and it then opens. I have tried to re install the software however it still does not work. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!!! ps - please advise if you reply - if there is any risk to losing saved data when making suggested changes as I have a lot of work that I cannot afford to lose. many thanks to all - B ...

owa not opening message
When using owa can login and see messages but I get a 404 error when I try to open messages, any ideas? Also some users after they type their login they get a unable to render view when their mail box opens. ...

Excel closure
After opening execl, I cannot close it form the X it is grayed out. From the task bar the close is not listed. The only way to close it is to File | Exit. Any suggustions?? I think this is your problem http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260199 XL2000: Close Button Is Dimmed After Groupwise Is Installed -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Rex" <rex_fleetwood@oldnational.com> wrote in message news:053b01c36cdd$513a8df0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > After opening execl, I cannot close it form the X it is > graye...

Opening File in Excel from IE Shortcut
Excel 2003 I would like to have a shortcut in my IE list of Favorites that opens an Excel file *in* Excel. I created a shortcut to the Excel .EXE file and then tried adding the file name (with full path) to the end of that command, and I've played around with a few other things like changing the Start In value in the shortcut properties, but thus far I have not been able to make this work. The best I've been able to do is make Excel open to a blank worksheet, or to make my worksheet open in IE. But I can't get my worksheet to open in Excel from an IE Favorite. Can this ...

Map charts in Excel 2000?
Just noticed that my Excel 2000 contains a map feature, for using maps as charts. However the map set available does not include any world map, or European maps. How can I extend teh maps available? Bets regards /Johan Myrberger Hi Johan not sure on the answer to the question, but don't get too excited about the feature - in version 2002 it has been removed although you can open workbooks containing maps, however, in 2003 (according to help, and i've not tested it) you can't open workbooks containing maps. Regards JulieD "Johan Myrberger" <johan.myrberger@remov...

change an excel flowchart to power point slide without gridlines?
I am trying to convert a flowchart to a powerpoint slide without the gridlines and keep the text within the boxes on my flowchart ...

Color coding dates in excel
Hi , I am trying to set upo a spreadsheet to track stock market purchases,dividends etc. I have date columns, however I would like to be able to color code the dates. Say blue for dates between 01/07/2006 and 30/o6/2007 red for 01/07/2007 to 30/06/2008 green for 01/07/2008 to 30/06/2009 etc is there a formula I can input to set this up? Conditional formatting is the facility doing such jobs. In Excel2003 and below you can set max 3 conditions, in Excel2007 there is no limit. Regards, Stefi „Hilly” ezt írta: > Hi , > I am trying to set upo a spreadsheet to track stock market...

how do i calculate a work schedule in excel?
I am so close to completing a scheduling worksheet, but have a problem with one of the formulas. I have created dropdowns for 'in' and 'out', using AM & PM for the times, a formula to calculate the daily number of hours and a formula to calculate the total number of hours scheduled for an entire week. My problem is that I want to deduct lunch periods from the daily schedule, but have been unable to figure out that calculation. I want to be able to deduct :30, :45, and :60 minute lunches. At this point, I would even settle for the ability to deduct a fixed time period...

Checkboxes in Excel
How do I add and how do I delete check boxes in Excel? One way: Use the checkbox from the Forms toolbar (activate by going to View|Toolbars..., put a check next to Forms). Click on the checkbox icon (it should depress, and the pointer should be replace by "+") then mouse to where you'd like the checkbox, left click and drag to the right and down to set the size. You can tie this into a cell, which will show TRUE or FALSE, depending on whether there is a check in the check box. You'd also be able to check and uncheck by changing the cell to TRUE or FALSE. Need more info? P...

Access a excel file through FTP without write protection
hi ng I have made an excel application which is supposed to be a multi user application. I have placed the application in my libary on my web hotel, and it is supposed to be accessed by the users through FTP in Excel (where the users get the password and username). But when I try to access the file from Excel by FTP- I can open it - but it is write protected. When I go directly into my FTP-drive from the internet explorer and right click on the file - it shows that the file is NOT write protected - How can I access the file through Excel with FTP without the file is write protected. ...

Publisher cannot open files from a different version??????
A customer sent me a Publisher file created with Publisher 2000 v6.0. I have Publisher 2000 SP3. Why won't publisher open this file? Is it because I went to the trouble of installing the updates as MS suggested? Thanks for any help Do you have Norton? Disable "script blocking" and in Norton options, misc., disable "Office Plug-in." Disable any other anti-virus software and try opening the file. You could try opening it in safe mode, there is the chance the file is looking for a printer driver. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps....

#N/A
When VLOOKUP ing from a database to retrieve info from a pivot table I keep getting many #N/A errors as there is no data in the pivot table. I have tried to suppress it with ERROR.TYPE and IF statements but no joy. Can anyone advise another formula? Thanks "Paul" <pjaggard@aco.co.uk> wrote in message news:100e01c38bfb$161dcdd0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > When VLOOKUP ing from a database to retrieve info from a > pivot table I keep getting many #N/A errors as there is no > data in the pivot table. > > I have tried to suppress it with ERROR.TYPE and IF > statem...

repair of excel file
Hi everyone can direct me about repair an excel file. I can't afford to pay the program that download from the internet. Does anyone know any freeware that can repair my excel file thank you my email is tandrew@bigpond.net.au What error messages are you getting and what have you tried already? "Andrew Tan" <tandrew@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message news:scNZa.28549$bo1.27838@news-server.bigpond.net.au... : Hi everyone can direct me about repair an excel file. : I can't afford to pay the program that download from the internet. : : Does anyone know any freeware th...

message on excel worksheet
I was trying to paste a photo in to a excel worksheet and this appear on my screen. Microsof Excel cannot paste the data somebody knows why? Try this sequence.........Insert > Picture > FromFile......then select the picture you want and press Insert Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Omar" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:067901c39828$7d026a90$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I was trying to paste a photo in to a excel worksheet and > this appear on my screen. > > Microsof Excel cannot paste the data > > somebody knows why? ...

Excel FIND ALL-How do you extract the findings to a new worksheet
Using the 'FIND ALL' option in excel brings a box of seletions based on my search criteria. I would like to take those findings and make a new Excel worksheet with them. It's not possible using that dialog. But you could write your own code -- or even use an addin that's very nice-- Jan Karel Pieterse's FlexFind: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/ BelAir wrote: > > Using the 'FIND ALL' option in excel brings a box of seletions based on my > search criteria. I would like to take those findings and make a new Excel > worksheet with them. -- Dave Pete...

Lose data when copy and paste from workbook to workbook
When I do a simple copy and paste of multiple or even 1 cell from a sheet in one workbook to a sheet in another workbook, the data gets cut off - only the first part is pasted. These cells do have quite a bit of text and the cells with limited data seem to paste okay. The cell format is General. Any suggestions??? What version of excel are you using? There are limitations on the number of characters a cell can have. Regards Jamal >-----Original Message----- >When I do a simple copy and paste of multiple or even 1 cell from a sheet in one workbook to a sheet in another workbook,...

Strange Excel total error
Help! I'm having th strangest problem occur in the attached spreadsheet It is truly a simple spreadsheet with no advanced formulas. The total i K23 is incorrect (should be 1,545.36) yet, I can't figure out what i wrong and Excel detects nothing. I manually added the M2-M18 for th correct results. Even with rounding, it makes no sense! Thanks! i advance for all assistance Attachment filename: test.xls Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=63886 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com For various reasons I won&#...

Excel Calc Bug
Leave it up to microsoft to let the consumer test their product for them! I dont' think they would take it seriously until there was a lawsuit. Look at calculator. Have they ever -provided a fix- for the miscalculations it causes? Sad. Very Sad! ...

can't open Excel file
After a worksheet disappeared, I tried to re-open. Explorer lists the file, but when I open it, the command section at the top is inaccessible and the worksheet does not show up. How do I get to it again? ...

Global Variable -- Excel / VBA
I currently have a module in VBA that has 6 macros in it. In the third macro I search down a column that was populated in the second macro. When I encounter an empty row, I go back up one row and call that row ticker_end (ticker_end = ActiveCell.Row). However, when I got to macros 4-6 they don't recognize ticker_end and I have to search through the column again for the condition I want and re-name the variable at the start of each macro. Considering that I can't create the variable before macro 3 because it depends on actions in macros 2, is there some way once I do set ticke...

using shortcut bar for outlook if program not open
If I click on the new email in the shortcut bar and Outlook is not already open, the email form will open and then lock up with the hourglass icon displayed. Outlook will not open. And the blank email form cannot be closed. I have to use the task manager to kill the process. New email icon works fine if Outlook is up and running BEFORE trying to create an new email. ps....Outlook/Office 2000 in Windows XP. ...

Unable to Open Attachment Task Pane in Outlook 2007
I am totally unable to open the very useful Attachment Options Task Pane in Outlook 2007. I press the little icon in the corner of the 'Include' section in the ribbon, but nothing happens. The other Windows and Panes selectable from the other ribbon options all open OK (Clipboard, text, Options etc), but not the Attachment Options. Any ideas please? -- Neil You'll first need to attach a file before you are able to click on the small icon. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downl...

Using query thru excel
I am having a problem when I try to edit a query I've written in Microsoft Query - thru excel - ... when I go back into edi the query I first get a message that says "this query cannot be edited by the query wizard". If I bypass that and try to go in further and change my query I get "Invalid Cursor State". I am using an ODBC connection to a SQL 7 database. Any ideas other than rewriting the entire query? Thanks ...

Add-ins in Excel 2007
I have a series of add-ins that apparently load on Excel 2007 but do not appear in the Ribbon. Example: all my COM add-ins. (eg asap utilities etc.) What's up? All custom menu items created by add-ins are listed in the Add-Ins tab. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com (email address is on the web site) "Cary" <carygee@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u5SK9k8SHHA.4844@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... >I have a series of add-ins that apparently load on Excel 2007 but do not >appear in the Ribbon. Example: a...

Connectors in Excel 2003
When using autoshape connectors in Excel 2003, is there a way or an add-in so that lines indicate when they cross each other. Sue ...